Joanna Salway descendant of Thomas Lygon?

joseph cook

Aug 24, 2006, 9:41:00 PM8/24/06
Visitation of Worcestershire shows a descent of Salways from Thomas
Lygon via his daughter Jane Lygon.

http://books.google.com/books?vid=OCLC24345481&id=4ZlrqAx1pocC&pg=PA122&lpg=PA122&dq=lygon+salway

Joanna Salway, wife of Edward Woodman of Newbury, Massachusetts is
frequently cited as the daughter of the Arthur Salway m. Mary listed.
Is there any evidence of Joanna being the daughter of Arthur Salway
listed in this Visitation? If Arthur isn't her father, any idea who
might be and if they are related to the worcestershire salweys ?

mwelc...@yahoo.com

Aug 25, 2006, 5:07:52 AM8/25/06
Joseph

I believe her ancestry isn't known at this time. The Arthur who is
listed in the Visitation almost certainly couldn't be her father as the
Visitation was done in 1569 and Joanna Salway wasn't born til 1614.

Hope this helps
Mike Welch

Tim Powys-Lybbe

Aug 25, 2006, 6:45:41 AM8/25/06
In message of 25 Aug, mwelc...@yahoo.com wrote:

> Joseph
>
> I believe her ancestry isn't known at this time. The Arthur who is
> listed in the Visitation almost certainly couldn't be her father as the
> Visitation was done in 1569 and Joanna Salway wasn't born til 1614.

Unfortunately this statement that the "Visitation was done in 1569" is
not true of this published account of the Visitation. The preface makes
it clear that, as with most of the published visitations until perhaps
30 years ago, the book was NOT taken from the original visitation
documents. In fact the preface makes it clear that it includes data up
to 1619-20, see p. vii:

"Harl. 1043 ... commences with what is clearly a list of the Sheriffs
of that county [Worcs], mostly undated, but which is brought down to
the year 17 James I., i.e. 1619-20, which is evidently the date of the
manuscript, some of the pedigrees being brought down to that year."

(For all these early published visitations it is really mandatory to
read the preface to see where they got the manuscript from.)

That said, the 1634 Visitation has also been published, with the rider
in its preface that it was compiled from various sources. On p. 85 it
has an updated Salwey pedigree in which appears Arthur Salwey, whose
will was proved in PCC in 1616, with his wife Mary dau. and coheir of
Thomas Serle of London, three named sons and "Seven daus", unnamed. So
some of the daus. could easily have been born to this Arthur up to 1617.

So the question seems to be who their seven daus might have been?

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe                                          t...@powys.org
             For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/

joseph cook

Aug 25, 2006, 10:35:32 AM8/25/06

> So the question seems to be who their seven daus might have been?

I wonder where the suggestion that the wife of Edward Woodman was a
Salwey at all comes from.

mhol...@mac.com

Aug 25, 2006, 8:14:10 PM8/25/06
Not sure. It certainly isn't in the Woodman ancestry article in the
New England Genealogical and Historical Register at 97:281 (285 for the
marriage) which notes her as Joan (----).

Douglas Richardson

Aug 26, 2006, 2:49:07 PM8/26/06
Dear Mike ~

Thank you for your good post. Much appreciated.

Arthur Salway left a P.C.C. will dated 16 August 1613, proved 14 March
1616 [Reference: PCC, 26 Cope, found on FHL Microfilm 92065]. In his
will, the testator mentions his deceased wife (not name given); his
four sons, Humphrey (eldest son), Henry, Thomas, and Arthur Salwey; his
daughter, Alice Salwey (presumably unmarried); his daughter, Judith
Wythe; his son, Thomas Wythe; his son-in-law, Rowland Bradshawe, and
various grandchildren, Arthur Salwey, Humphrey Salwey, and Alice
Bradshaw. He also mentioned several godchildren, including Edward
Salwey. There is no daughter named Joanna named in the will.

Elsewhere, there is a full treatment of the family of Arthur Salwey in
Burke's Commoners, i 152-155. A list of eleven children is given there
for Arthur Salwey, including the four sons named in his will, and seven
daughters, all of whom married. Included in this list is a daughter,
Jane, who married Sir Robert Parslow. There is no daughter, Joanna.

Given this information, it seems highly doubtful that Arthur Salwey was
the father of Joanna, wife of the immigrant, Edward Woodman.

Website: www. royalancestry. net

mwelc...@yahoo.com

Aug 27, 2006, 10:26:16 PM8/27/06
Dear Doug

Thank You for taking the time to look at the Will of Arthur Salway. I
guess that proves it once and for all.
As Always Best Wishes,

Mike Welch