Skupiny Google už nepodporují nová předplatná ani příspěvky Usenet. Historický obsah lze zobrazit stále.

Complete Peerage Addition: New Wife for Robert de Brus, Earl of Carrick (died 1304)

183 zobrazení
Přeskočit na první nepřečtenou zprávu

Douglas Richardson

nepřečteno,
9. 12. 2002 4:18:1609.12.02
komu:
Dear Newsgroup ~

While doing research on the Burnell family this past year, I
determined that Maud Fitz Alan, widow of Philip Burnell, Knt., of
Holgate, co. Salop, had license 19 September 1295 to marry Robert de
Brus, Earl of Carrick, lord of Annandale (died 1304), father of Robert
I de Brus, King of Scotland. I believe the reference for this license
is Calendar of Patent Rolls, 1292-1301 (published 1895), pg. 147.

I had assumed this marriage never took place, as Robert de Brus (died
1304) is known to have later had a wife named Eleanor who survived
him. Eleanor married (2nd) before 8 Feb. 1305/6 Richard le Waleys,
Knt. [Reference: Complete Peerage, 2 (1912): 360 (sub Brus)].
Elsewhere, I found conclusive evidence that Maud Fitz Alan married
before 1316 Simon de Criketot. Maud was living 19 June 1316
[Reference: Descriptive Catalogue of Ancient Deeds, 4 (1902): 85-86].

Surprisingly, I recently located a document which indicates that the
marriage of Robert de Brus and Maud Fitz Alan did take place, although
this marriage doesn't seem to be mentioned in any modern source that
I've consulted, nor is it mentioned in Complete Peerage sub Brus. The
document I located is very short. It reads as follows:

"13 Oct. 1296. Order to give power to someone to receive the
attorneys of Robert de Brus, earl of Carrick and lord of Annandale,
and Maud his wife, in a plea of dower." [Reference: Calendar of
Chancery Warrants preserved in the Public Record Office, A.D.
1244-1326 (1927), pg. 74].

Given the evidence of the license and chancery warrant, it is obvious
that Robert de Brus, Earl of Carrick, in fact married Maud Fitz Alan.
However, the marriage clearly must have ended in divorce or annulment,
as Robert de Brus was survived by a wife, Eleanor, while Maud Fitz
Alan married Simon de Criketot.

This new marriage for Robert de Brus and Maud Fitz Alan will be
included in the forthcoming book, Plantagenet Ancestry. This
discovery will revise the charts of many millions of people who
descend from these two people.

E-mail: royala...@msn.com

Doug McDonald

nepřečteno,
9. 12. 2002 16:26:3909.12.02
komu:

Douglas Richardson wrote:

> "13 Oct. 1296. Order to give power to someone to receive the
> attorneys of Robert de Brus, earl of Carrick and lord of Annandale,
> and Maud his wife, in a plea of dower." [Reference: Calendar of
> Chancery Warrants preserved in the Public Record Office, A.D.
> 1244-1326 (1927), pg. 74].
>
> Given the evidence of the license and chancery warrant, it is obvious
> that Robert de Brus, Earl of Carrick, in fact married Maud Fitz Alan.
> However, the marriage clearly must have ended in divorce or annulment,
> as Robert de Brus was survived by a wife, Eleanor, while Maud Fitz
> Alan married Simon de Criketot.
>
> This new marriage for Robert de Brus and Maud Fitz Alan will be
> included in the forthcoming book, Plantagenet Ancestry. This
> discovery will revise the charts of many millions of people who
> descend from these two people.

But I take it that it won't change the ancestry of anybody,
just cause extra spouses, because they had no children.

Is this the case?

Doug McDonald

malinda

nepřečteno,
10. 12. 2002 2:00:3210.12.02
komu:
Do you suppose the surname of "Richard le Waleys, Knt"
mentioned below evolved into Wallis or Wallace ?

~malinda

Douglas Richardson

nepřečteno,
12. 12. 2002 11:29:1712.12.02
komu:
Dear Malinda ~

Thank you for your post. You've asked a good question.

The English surname "le Waleys" means "the Welshman." It is similar
in derivation to the surname "le Fraunceys" (later corrupted to
Francis) (meaning "the Frenchman"). I don't know if the surname, le
Waleys, has any connection with the Scottish surname, Wallace. My
children descend from a Scotch-Irish Wallace family, by the way.

E-mail: royala...@msn.com

mthi...@swbell.net ("malinda") wrote in message news:<04f501c2a019$c50682c0$5916bcd0@computer>...

The...@aol.com

nepřečteno,
13. 12. 2002 5:45:4913.12.02
komu:
Tuesday, 10 December, 2002

Dear Malinda

[glad to see a message coming through the broken gate...]

The derivation of the Scots surname Wallace is held to
have been from an ancestor, probably called le Waleis or le
Waleys, who came to Scotland from Wales or the borders. The
ancestry is murky at best.

The individual (Richard le Waleys) identified by Douglas
could be a relation, but there is no reason to believe so
since anyone of Welsh ancestry in England or Scotland might
have picked up the sobriquet as a surname. Given that the
famed Sir William Wallace had met his loathsome fate in August
1305, only a short time prior to the marriage of Richard le
Waleys and Eleanor (the widow Bruce), and the connections of
the Bruce family at this time to Edward I, we can be certain
there was no close connection between Richard le Waleys and
Sir William.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

John *

* John P. Ravilious

Douglas Richardson

nepřečteno,
13. 12. 2002 21:09:3713.12.02
komu:
Dear Newsgroup ~

This past week I posted evidence which showed that Maud Fitz Alan,
widow of Philip Burnell, Knt., married (2nd) in 1295 Robert de Brus,
Earl of Carrick, lord of Annandale. At the time of my post, I was
under the impression that Maud Fitz Alan married Robert de Brus,
Senior (died 1304). However, it now appears that Maud actually
married his son, Robert de Brus, Junior (died 1329), who subsequently
became Robert I, King of Scotland.

Since my first post, I've had the opportunity to consult with Andrew
MacEwen, of Stockton Springs, Maine, the resident expert on all things
Scottish. Andrew pointed out that Robert de Brus, Senior, resigned
the Earldom of Carrick in favor of his son, Robert de Brus, Junior, in
1292. Consequently, the Earl of Carrick in 1295 at the time of Maud's
marriage was Robert de Brus, Junior, not his aging father.

This re-arrangement of the Brus family tree leads to some interesting
developments. Robert de Brus, Junior, is stated to have married first
about 1295 Isabel of Mar, daughter of Donald, Earl of Mar. However,
none of the authorities I've consulted give the source for this
marriage. Instead, it appears that the wife of Robert de Brus,
Junior, in 1295 was Maud Fitz Alan.

Curiously, it appears that the editor of Scots Peerage was aware of
the same Chancery warrant I found in which Robert de Brus' wife is
named Maud. The warrant document is cited in a footnote in Scots
Peerage, vol. 1 (1904), pg. 8. The editor used another publication of
the 1295 warrant, which separate publication is found in Calendar of
Documents Relating to Scotland, 2: 850. For reasons not known to me,
the editor dismissed the importance of the warrant, even though it
clearly shows that Robert de Brus' wife was named Maud, that she was
formerly married to another party, and that she was suing for dower in
lands in England, implying her former husband was English, not
Scottish. Instead, the editor states that Robert de Brus, Junior,
married (1st) Isabella, daughter of Donald, 10th Earl of Mar. He
gives no documentation for this marriage.

Since the wife of Robert de Brus, Junior, in the period about 1295 was
surely the mother of his daughter, Marjorie, later wife of Walter
Stewart, it seems apparent that Maud Fitz Alan could well be
Marjorie's mother and that the wife named Isabella of Mar may be
entirely ficticious.

As such, I would appreciate it very much if anyone can post and cite
the documentation for the marriage of Robert de Brus and Isabella of
Mar. If no documentation exists, then Maud Fitz Alan would seem to be
mother of Robert de Brus' daughter, Marjorie. If correct, then Maud
Fitz Alan would be ancestress of all the later Stewart Kings of
Scotland.

As for evidence of Maud Fitz Alan's parentage and identity, Rev. C.
Moor in his series, Knights of Edward I, vol. 1 (H.S.P., vol. 80)
(1929), pg. 167 shows that on 5 June 1283 "Richard Fitz Alan, Earl of
Arundel, ackowledged a debt of 2,000 marks to Robert [Burnell], Bishop
of Bath and Wells, for the marriage of Philip Burnel, the Bishop's
nephew, which said Richard bought from him for the use of his sister,
Matilda [Maud]." Rev. Moor cites as his source, Calendar of Close
Rolls, which I have not yet checked for this document. Another
indication of Maud's identity is further provided by the papal
dispensation granted in 1337 for her grandson, Thomas de Haudlo, to
marry Joan de Berkeley [Reference: Papal Registers: Letters 2 (1895):
541]. According to the dispensation, Thomas de Haudlo and Joan de
Berkeley were related in the 4th degree of kindred. The nature of
this kinship can be explained as follows: Joan de Berkeley's
great-grandfather, Edmund de Mortimer, was the brother of Maud's
mother, Isabel de Mortimer, wife of John Fitz Alan.

As for the timetable of events, we have the following chronology:

1264 - Philip Burnel born
1267/72 - Maud Fitz Alan born
1274 - Robert de Brus, Junior, born
1283 - Marriage of Philip Burnel is sold to Richard, Earl of Arundel,
for the benefit of his sister, Maud.
1290/5 - Maud Burnell, daughter of Philip and Maud, born
1294 - Death of Philip Burnell
1295 - Marriage of Maud Fitz Alan and Robert de Brus, Earl of Carrick
1296 - Date of warrant showing Maud Fitz Alan and Robert de Brus had
married
c. 1300 - Birth of Marjorie, daughter of Robert de Brus
say 1300/1301 - Divorce of Maud Fitz Alan and Robert de Brus
1302 - Remarriage of Robert de Brus to his 2nd wife, Elizabeth de
Burgh
1306 - Robert de Brus is crowned King of Scotland
before 1315 - Marriage of Maud Burnell (daughter of Philip and Maud)
to her 1st husband, John Lovel
1315 - Marriage of Marjorie de Brus (daughter of Robert de Brus) to
Walter Stewart
before 1316 - Marriage of Maud Fitz Alan to her 3rd husband, Simon de
Criketot
1316 - Maud Fitz Alan, then wife of Simon de Criketot, last known to
be living.
1329 - Death of Robert I, King of Scotland

Comments are invited.

E-mail: royala...@msn.com

royala...@msn.com (Douglas Richardson) wrote in message news:<5cf47a19.0212...@posting.google.com>...

The...@aol.com

nepřečteno,
14. 12. 2002 9:28:1514.12.02
komu:
Saturday, 14 December, 2002

Dear Doug,

An extremely interesting find and argument; the SP
passing over of Maud is probably an example of an author or
editor deciding the document contained an error or
aberration.

It is a complicated family situation in 1295, however....

[For simplicity's sake, I will refer to Robert de Brus, the
competitor and Lord of Annandale, as Robert 'I'; his son
Robert, Earl of Carrick dju (d. 1304), as Robert 'II'; and
his son Robert, Earl of Carrick and later King Robert I of
Scots - Robert 'the Bruce' - as Robert 'III'].

The passing of the Lordship of Annandale and the Earldom
of Carrick were not contemporaneous. Robert 'II' became
Lord of Annandale on or before his father's death, 31 March
1295; he was already Earl of Carrick in right of his wife.
As both CP [Vol II, Brus, p. 360] and Barrow [Robert the
Bruce, p. 92] state, on 9 November 1292

'..he [Robert II] resigned the Earldom of Carrick
to his son...'

but this resignation did not include either the Lordship
of Annandale (in Scotland) or the English lands of the
family in Essex and elsewhere.

The problem seems to lie in the Chancery record you
cited, which in 1296 refers to '..Robert de Brus, earl of
Carrick and lord of Annandale...'. Robert 'II' was then
lord of Annandale, but not Earl of Carrick; Robert 'III' was
then Earl of Carrick, but not lord of Annandale. I will be
looking about to see what evidence there is of
the Mar marriage of Robert 'III', esp. as to timing;
however, I believe the Maud FitzAlan marriage was to Robert
'II' (as indicated in your earliest post on the subject) and
not Robert 'III' for two reasons:

1. Robert 'II' was lord of Annandale in 1296, and had
recently been Earl of Carrick; applying both titles
to the man in 1296 in the Chancery record had some
basis, but there was no reason to refer to Robert
'III' in 1296 as lord of Annandale.

2. Evidently Robert 'II' must have had his marriage to
Maud annulled, or one divorced the other, for as you
note his widow was Eleanor. For Robert 'III' to have
married Maud FitzAlan, they would have had to annul
or received a divorce in or before 1302, in which
year Robert 'III' was married to his (presumably
second) wife Elizabeth de Burgh, the mother of a
number of sons (incl. David II of Scots) and
daughters.

Good luck, and good hunting.

Annie Natalelli-Waloszek

nepřečteno,
14. 12. 2002 13:37:0714.12.02
komu:
Dear John

"Robert 'II' was then lord of Annandale, but not Earl of Carrick; Robert 'III' was then Earl of Carrick, but not lord of Annandale"

I dont see why you suddenly say that your Rbt II, who held Carrick in the right of his wife from 1272, was suddenly not Earl of Carrick in 1296... & I dont see why you think that just because Anandale wasnt part of the Carrick cession to Rbt King of Scots, that he did not cede it at all... I have always seen the two lordships attributed to the latter...

Actually, your system of numbering doesnt simplify things at all, ... let's call them by their sequence in the Roberts of the line... Rbt V the Competitor, Rbt VI of Carrick, & Rbt VII king of Scots...

Rbt V the Competitor was lord of Anandale after his father forfeited the lands for fighting against King David, while his son fought FOR him, saving the family fortunes when David won; according to Pithois, Robt Vwas married 1st to Marjorie de Carrick in 1272 & 2nd to Eléonore who died 1331.

Rbt VII, King of Scots, was Earl of Carrick & Lord of Anandale, & m 1st Isabell de Mar in 1296, 2nd Elizabeth de Burgh in 1302 (I have a painting of the wedding however, dating it 1306)

I think if there is an error somewhere, it's likely to be that Maud was the 1302 marriage, & Elizabeth the 1306 marriage... Im quite convinced of the 1306 marriage date, inscribed on the portrait itself... if there was a marriage in 1302, it was someone else... & I would like to see the mention; it may well have said only that he was married, & folks assumed it was to Elizabeth, since she was the widow, & the first marriage to Isabelle of Mar is widely known & doubtless, proven...

neither Pithois, nor any other source I EVER seen, mentions Maud... & I have seen a lot of books on the subject, as Im sure you have... do you really think Burkes, CP, SP1(Douglas), SP2, SP3... would have known nothing of her, were she indeed proven? none of the other four wives have ever been disproven; why would they have ignored Maud? If there were an anomaly or a divorce, wouldnt that have made her more discussed, & not less?
De : The...@aol.com <The...@aol.com>
Ŕ : Xan...@wanadoo.fr <Xan...@wanadoo.fr>; GEN-MED...@rootsweb.com <GEN-MED...@rootsweb.com>
Date : samedi 14 décembre 2002 20:58

Saturday, 14 December, 2002

G.W.S. Barrow wrote:
' 1302 was the year of Bruce's second marriage. Since
his new wife was Elizabeth de Burgh, daughter of
Richard de Burgh earl of Ulster, one of King Edward's
staunchest supporters, it is certain that the wedding
must have followed the submission [of Robert to Edward
I, in that year]. ' [1]
Well, this sounds like what I was thinking... he's saying on the one hand
that Rbt the Bruce was married in 1302... then he's putting it together with
whom he knew his last wife to be... but in fact, it's to me indiscutable
because of a dated contemporary wedding portrait, that Eliz married in 1306...
& I gather from your statement, that he repeats the date, but nowhere does he
state or prove who it is he's marrying in 1302, & it cant be Elizabeth... he just
didnt know about Maud, so he assumed...
so Maud must be the one married in 1302...

As to the passage of the Annandale title, I'll see if I can find any precision about it; I have no preference but to find the real story... we can be sure at least that it passed by the death of his father, but I seem to recall that his father's illness (was it leprosy?) caused him to give up all his charges a while before his death... he died in 1304... & his son lived on to 1329 or so, so maybe that's where the general identity with both titles happens unless there's a reason to get precise, which in this case, there is...

Alex Maxwell Findlater

nepřečteno,
14. 12. 2002 18:06:1914.12.02
komu:
While Robert the elder resigned the earldom of Carrick, which he held
jure uxoris, to his son Robert the younger, confirmed at the
Parliament held at Stirling in August 1293 (APS, i, 449), I was not
aware that he resigned the lordship of Annandale. This presumably
passed to him later on his father&#8217;s death at Lochmaben on Good
Friday 1295. Born in 1243 and widowed before 1292 or 1293, he would
still be a good catch in his late 40s. I understand that these Bruces
also held considerable English estates including Writtle in Essex, to
which Robert the elder retired after the resignation, when he was not
holding Carlisle Castle against the Scots. Robert the younger, on the
other hand was busy in Scotland at this period, although of course
this did not entirely preclude him from visiting England.

So, if this Robert was indeed lord of Annandale, that fact suggests
that it was probably the elder, who thus was titled earl of Carrick
only by courtesy. In fact CP does state that he was called earl of
Carrick after the resignation, but without a reference.

Perhaps this suggestion might square with the received pedigree the
facts that have come to light.

On the other front, I think that perhaps chroniclers may mention
Robert the younger&#8217;s first wife as Isabella the sister of the
earl of Mar. I have no way of checking this, but a possibility is the
contemporary Walter of Guisborough, Guisborough Priory having been
founded by the first Robert Bruce, also the Chronicon de Lanercost,
also contemporary.

Douglas Richardson

nepřečteno,
15. 12. 2002 4:16:1715.12.02
komu:
Dear Newsgroup ~

I spent time today pawing through various sources to see what I could
learn about the Brus family of Scotland.

Regarding the resignation of the Earldom of Carrick, I find this event
took place on 9 November 1292, when Robert de Brus, Sr. (died 1304),
who previously held the earldom in right of his late wife, Marjorie,
resigned it to his 18 year old son and heir, Robert de Brus, Jr. The
resignation was made in 1292 specifically so that Robert de Brus, Sr.,
could avoid paying homage to John de Baliol, King of Scotland, and
thereby preserving the Brus family's claim to the Scottish throne.
Two days prior to the resignation of the earldom, Robert de Brus,
Sr.'s aged father, another Robert de Brus (nicknamed the Competitor)
resigned his "whole right and claim that we had, or could have had, to
sue for the realm of Scotland" to his son, Robert de Brus, Sr.
[Reference: E.L.G. Stones, Anglo-Scottish Relations, 1174-1328, pp.
116-117. The editor notes the charter conveying Robert the
Competitor's rights to his son is "scarcely noticed by Scottish
historians"].

Thus, at this point (1292), Robert de Brus, Sr. held no estates in
Scotland, as Annandale was still held by his father, Robert the
Competitor, and the Earldom of Carrick was held by his son, Robert,
Jr. Rather, all Robert, Sr. held was the right and claim his father
gave him to "sue for the realm." Although there are no records to
suggest this happened, it is possible that Robert the Competitor
conveyed Annandale to his grandson, Robert de Brus, Jr., at the same
time the grandson received the Earldom. If so, it would explain why
the grandson was later styled Lord of Annandale in his grandfather's
lifetime.

The following year, 1293, Robert de Brus, Jr., was confirmed in his
mother's earldom of Carrick at the Scottish Parliament held in August
1293 [Reference: G. Barrow, Robert Bruce and the Community of the
Realm of Scotland, 2nd ed., 1976, pg. 93, citing Acts of Parliament of
Scotland, ed. by T. Thomson and C. Innes, vol. 1 (1814), pg. 449].

On 19 September 1293, license was granted by the English king for
Maud, late the wife of Philip Burnel, tenant in chief, to marry
"Robert de Brus, lord of Annandale" [Reference: Calendar of Patent
Rolls, 1292-1301 (1895), pg. 147]. Robert de Brus the Competitor was
still living at this time. He is thought by most authorities to have
been "lord of Annandale" until his death. However, he can't possibly
be the man who married Maud Burnel, for the records show he married
his 2nd wife, Christian d'Ireby, before 1275, which wife survived him
in 1295. If Robert de Brus the Competitor was not lord of Annandale
in 1293, then it seems likely that Annandale passed to his grandson,
Robert de Brus, Jr., in 1292, along with the Earldom of Carrick.

In early 1295, Robert de Brus the Competitor, the senior male
representative of the family, died. His son and heir, Robert de
Brus, Sr., was subsequently summoned to English Parliament from 24
June 1295 to 26 Aug. 1296, by writs directed Roberto de Brus, whereby
he is held to have become Lord Brus. He is not styled "lord of
Annandale" in either military or Parliamentary summons in England in
this period, nor is he styled Earl of Carrick. In 1296, both Robert,
Sr., styled "le veil" (the old) and his son, Robert, Jr., styled "le
jeouene" (the young) swore fealty to King Edward I of England.

On 13 Oct. 1296 a warrant was issued to "give power to someone to
receive the attorneys of Robert de Brus, Earl of Carrick and lord of
Annandale, and Maud his wife, in a plea of dower." The editor of
Scots Peerage sub Kings of Scotland (vol. 1) and also sub Mar
identifies this warrant as applying to Robert de Brus, Jr., who was
later King of Scotland. However, the editor puzzled over the name of
his wife, Maud, as traditional accounts state his wife was named
Isabel of Mar.

Robert de Brus, Jr., is known to have had a daughter, Margery (or
Marjorie), by an earlier marriage. Geoffrey Barrow supposes that
Margery was born about 1295/6, saying she "would have been about ten
or eleven years old in 1306." [Reference: G. Barrow, Robert Bruce and
the Community of the Realm of Scotland, 2nd ed., 1976, pg. 411]. If
Barrow has correctly estimated Margery's birth, he places her birth
right in the time frame (1295/6) that Robert de Brus, Jr., is known to
have been married to Maud Fitz Alan, widow of Philip Burnell. Every
source I checked, however, overlooked the 1295 marriage license of
Robert and Maud, and only one source (Scots Peerage) mentioned the
warrant allowing Robert and Maud to sue for her dower in 1296. In
fact, no author mentioned anything about Maud Fitz Alan whatsoever.

Interestingly, Robert de Brus' daughter, Margery, first appears in the
records in July 1297, when it was suggested by the English that she be
used as a hostage [Reference: Barrow, ibid., pg. 120, footnote 1; 200,
footnote 2]. Barrow cites as his source for this information the
following work: Documents Illustrative of the History of Scotland
(1870) by F. Palgrave, ed., pp. 197-200.

Margery de Brus was in fact eventually taken to England as a hostage,
as I find that she was in the king's custody at York in 1307 [see
Calendar of Patent Rolls, 1301-1307, published 1898, pg. 503]. This
record also seems to have been overlooked by everyone I consulted.
Margery de Brus subsequently married in 1315 to Walter Stewart, which
date agrees well with Geoffrey Barrow's estimated birthdate of c.
1295/6 for Margery.

None of the sources I consulted gave any evidence, documentation, or
source for the traditional statement that Robert de Brus married (1st)
Isabel of Mar. The closest thing I found for any supporting citation
for Isabel of Mar's existence was in the book, Robert the Bruce King
of Scotland, by R.M. Scott (1982), pg. 34. Scott mentions the first
marriage of Robert de Brus and Isabel of Mar, and he gives as his
source a book published in 1906, namely Scottish Kings: a Revised
Chronology of Scottish History, by A.H. Dunbar. Since 1906 is way
past the events in question, I suspect there is no contemporary
evidence whatsoever of Isabel of Mar's existence.

As for later references to Maud (Fitz Alan) Burnell in English
records, I found a couple of references to her dower lands in the
period following 1296, but the records don't indicated where Maud was
living or the name of her current husband. As such, it is unclear
what happened to Maud after 1296, until she re-surfaces in 1316, as
the wife of Simon de Criketot.

Given that Robert de Brus is known by contemporary evidence to have
married in 1295 to Maud Fitz Alan, and given the fact that Barrow
places the birth of Robert's daughter, Marjorie, in the following year
when Robert and Maud are known to have still been married, I conclude
Maud Fitz Alan is Marjorie de Brus' mother. If so, this would make
Maud Fitz Alan the direct ancestress of the later Stewart Kings of
Scotland. I likewise conclude that the marriage of Robert de Brus and
Maud Fitz Alan ended in divorce sometime in the period, 1296/1302.

Comments are invited.

E-mail: royala...@msn.com

royala...@msn.com (Douglas Richardson) wrote in message news:<5cf47a19.02121...@posting.google.com>...

Annie Natalelli-Waloszek

nepřečteno,
15. 12. 2002 6:03:1915.12.02
komu:
Thanks for this!
De : ADRIANC...@aol.com <ADRIANC...@aol.com>
À : GEN-MED...@rootsweb.com <GEN-MED...@rootsweb.com>
Date : dimanche 15 décembre 2002 14:46

Janet

nepřečteno,
15. 12. 2002 12:49:4115.12.02
komu:
In the Medieval archives this what I found.

'Sir' Robert de Bruce's. First was 'Sir' Robert de Bruce, Lord of Annandale
who married Isabel of Huntingdon and died @ 1245.

They had a son, 'Sir' Robert de Bruce, Lord of Annandale, born @ 1210,
married Isabel de Clare @ 1240, died @ 1294.

They had a son, 'Sir Robert de Bruce, Lord of Annandale, born 1253, married
Margaret of Carrick @ 1271, died @ 1304

They had a son, Robert I, King of Scotland, born @1274, married Isabel of
Mar @1296 and married second Elizabeth de Burgh @ 1302, died 1329. He ruled
from 1306 to 1329. They had at least five children: Marjorie (by first wife)
and David II, King of Scotland

ROBERT DE BRUS 'the Noble' of Annandale, eldest son of William and
Christina. Married ISABEL (died circa 1251), second daughter of David, Earl
of Huntingdon, who was son of Prince Henry, Earl of Huntingdon, son and heir
of David I, King of Scots. Robert died in 1245. He and Isabel were buried at
Saltre Abbey, near Stilton, Essex
Robert `the Noble' d. 1245, m. Isabella of Huntingdon d. 1252 (NS), through
whom King Robert Bruce's right to the throne derived. Their son Robert d.
1294 was the original Bruce competitor for the throne, grandfather of the
king. David Earl of Huntington was born about 1144. He died on 17 Jun 1219
in Yardley, Northants, England and is Buried at Sawtrey Abbey,
Huntingdonshire. . He was married to Matilda "de KEVELIOC" of Chester on 26
Aug 1190. Matilda "de KEVELIOC" of Chester was born in 1171. She died on 6
Jan 1233. Matilda as 'de Kevelioc' -her father was called that because he
was born in Cyfeiliog (sp?) in Wales, so it is not a 'proper' surname.
(Robert I, the Bruce (died 1329) , succeeded John Balliol after years of
struggle; married (1) Isabella daughter of Donald, 10th Earl of Mar, by whom
he had a daughter Marjorie who married Walter the High Steward, killed by a
fall 1316 leaving an only son Robert Stewart who became Robert II. Robert
the Bruce married (2) Elizabeth, daughter of Richard de Burgh, Earl of
Ulster, by whom he had sons David II and John (d.y.) and daughters (1)
Mathilda married Thomas Isaac and had two daughters Catherine d.s.p., and
Joanna married John, Lord of Lorn; and (2) Margaret married William, 4th
Earl of Sutherland, and had two sons, John, d.v.p. and William, 5th Earl"
[PLM: either Sheppard has the Earls of Sutherland confused, or the previous
sources mentioned in this forum do?]

ROBERT DE BRUS of Annandale, "the Competitor," son of Robert and Isabel.
Born in 1210. When King Alexander III of Scotland was childless, he declared
Robert the heir-presumptive to the Scottish crown. Based on this earlier
declaration, Robert pressed a claim to the throne. However, the crown ended
up going to his kinsman, John Baliol, so on 5 Nov. 1292 Robert resigned his
claim to the throne to his son Robert, Earl of Carrick. He was dead by 3 May
1294. His first wife, whom he had married in May 1240 was ISOBEL (born 1226,
still living 1264 but could died short time later), second daughter of
Gilbert de Clare, 1st. Earl of Gloucester and Hertford. Isabella died in
1251. Weir gives buried at Saltre Abbey, Gloucestershire. Daughter of
Gilbert de CLARE 1st Earl of Gloucester was born about 1180. He died on 25
Oct 1230 in Penros, Brittany. He was married to Isabella MARSHAL on 9 Oct
1217 in Tewkesbury Abbey, Gloucester. Isabel de Clare, m. Robert de Bruce,
lord of Annandale, competitor for the Scottish crown (d. 1294), son of
Robert de Bruce and Isabel of Huntingdon. Robert the BRUCE 6th Lord of
Annandale was born in 1210. He died before 3 May 1294. He was married to
Isabel de CLARE.

Isabel de CLARE was born on 8 Nov 1226. She died after 1294. Robert "The
Noble" de BRUS 5th Lord of Annandale died in 1245. He was married to
Isabella. Isabella died in 1251. Father Gilbert de CLARE 1st Earl of
Gloucester was born about 1180. He died on 25 Oct 1230 in Penros, Brittany.
He was married to Isabella MARSHAL on 9 Oct 1214 in Tewkesbury Abbey,
Gloucester. Gilbert wife Isabella MARSHAL was born on 9 Oct 1200 in Pembroke
Castle, Wales. She died on 17 Jan 1240 in Berkhamsted Castle, Hertfordshire.
She was buried in Beaulieu Abbey, Hampshire, England. He is often given the
soubriquet 'the Competitor' and was designated heir to King Alexander II
between 1237 (when the king's cousin John le Scot died) and 1241 (birth of
the future Alexander III).

SIR ROBERT DE BRUS, Lord of Annandale, son and heir by 1st wife, born July
1243.) He did homage and had livery of his father's lands, July 1295. Having
married, 1stly, in 1271, Margery, suo iure COUNTESS OF CARRICK [SCT], he was
summoned cum equis et armis from 6 April 1282 to I7 August I291, and to
attend the King at Shrewsbury, 28 June 1283, by writs directed Roberto de
Brus comiti de Carrik'. After his 1st wife's death, he resigned the Earldom
of Carrick to his son, and they, as Robert de Brus le veil, and Robert de
Brus le jeouene, Earl of Carrick, swore fealty to Edward I, 28 August 1296.
He was summoned cum equis et armis from 15 May 1297 to 12 March 1300/1, and
to Parliament from 24 June 1295 to 26 August 1296, and to attend the King at
Salisbury 26 January 1296/7), by writs directed Roberto de Brus (only), by
which summonses to Parliament he is held to have become LORD BRUS. He
married, 2ndly, Alianore. He died shortly before 4 April 1304, age 60, and
was buried in the Abbey of Holm Cultram. His widow married, without license,
between 2 December 1304. and 8 February 1305/6, Sir Richard LE WALEYS, of
Burgh Wallis, co. York [LORD WALEYS]. She died between 13 April and 8
September 1331. [CP 2:360, 14:151]. Robert de Bruce, lord of Annandale and
Earl of Carrick de jure uxoris (d. before 4 Apr 1304), m. Marjorie of
Carrick, countess of Carrick suo jure, daughter of Nigel or Neil, Earl of
Carrick. 2. Robert the BRUCE Earl of Carrick was born in 1240. He died
before 4 Apr 1304 in England. He was married to Marjorie of Carrick Countess
of Carrick in 1271 in Turnberry Castle. Marjorie of Carrick Countess of
Carrick died before 1292.
ROBERT BRUCE of Annandale, Lord Bruce, Earl of Carrick, eldest son of Robert
and Isobel. He married, as his first wife but as her second husband,
MARJORIE, eldest daughter and heiress of NEIL or Nigel, Earl of Carrick, and
so became Earl of Carrick in right of his wife. Neil 2nd Earl of Carrick. He
was married to Margaret STEWART. The Countess Marjorie died in 1292, while
he died shortly before 4 April 1304 in England

ROBERT BRUCE of Annandale, Baron Bruce, Earl of Carrick, son of Robert and
Marjorie. He was born 11 July 1274, was crowned King of Scots at Scone 27
March 1306, and died 7 June 1329. Robert I "the Bruce" King of Scotland m'd
Isabel of Mar born: abt 1278 in Castle Kildrummy, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
died: abt 1320. Isabel's Father: Donald Mar and mother: Helen, Princess of
North Wales. Robert I "the Bruce" King of Scotland's His Father was: Robert
de Brus of Annandale and his mother: Margaret of Carrick Margaret's Father:
Nigel, Earl of Carrick and Mother: Margaret Stewart. The Bruce who married
Isobel of Mar, who died after having their child Marjory? He then married
Elizabeth de Burgh, who was supposedly a loving mother for Marjory. They had
David, Margaret, Matilda and John

This list of some to the sources that were mention in Medieval Archives.

THE BOOK OF BRUCE Ancestors and Descendants of King Robert of Scotland by
Lyman Horace Weeks Published by The Americana Society, New York, 1907

A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Commoners of Great Britian and
Ireland. Vol 1 Pages 493-495.

ROBERT THE BRUCE, KING OF SCOTS by Ronald McNair Scott.

http://www.baronage.co.uk/bphtm-03/bruce-01.html

THE GREAT HISTORIC FAMILIES OF SCOTLAND By Taylor, James. The Great
Historic Families of Scotland . London: J.S Virtue & Co., 1889.

Weis/Sheppard/Faris' ANCESTRAL ROOTS (7th. ed.) include part of it--that
source is pretty easily accessible. And in volume II of Sir James Balfour
Paul's SCOTS PEERAGE, pp.428-435.

With so many Roberts you need chart just for them.

Does this help?
Janet

De : Douglas Richardson <royala...@msn.com>

À : GEN-MED...@rootsweb.com <GEN-MED...@rootsweb.com>
Date : dimanche 15 décembre 2002 20:30

Dear Brad ~

Thank you for your good post.

Andrew MacEwen, the resident expert on all things Scottish, informs me
that the early Scottish divorce records have all perished. None have
survived. A Scottish divorce is known in records if one of the
parties later appealed to Rome. In that case, the record of the
appeal can be found in the Vatican records, not Scottish records. The
original divorce proceedings at the local ecclesiasical level have
long since been destroyed.

E-mail: royala...@msn.com

malinda

nepřečteno,
15. 12. 2002 21:01:1515.12.02
komu:
I noticed the reference below to

"Bryce (Thos H.) The skull of King Robert the Bruce [<<in Scot. Hist.
Review»]"

Does anyone know what this article says...or if the skull of King Robert the
Bruce is missing ?
~malinda

Douglas Richardson

nepřečteno,
15. 12. 2002 22:38:4315.12.02
komu:
Xan...@wanadoo.fr ("Annie Natalelli-Waloszek") wrote in message news:<018b01c2a494$86fc6c40$de01f9c1@m>...

> any idea why the divorce records were "disappeared"?
>
> By the way, you & Ravillious are doing a great job on this...

Dear Annie ~

You've asked a great question for which there is no easy answer. As
best I can tell, the local bishops kept the divorce records separate
from their regular episcopal registers. For reasons not known to me,
most of the episcopal registers have survived but none of the divorce
records. This is true for Scotland and I believe for England as well.

If I had to guess what happened, I suspect the divorce records were
destroyed on purpose due to their sensitive nature. In colonial
Connecticut, such matters were considered "private" controversies.
They were kept away from the regular records. In the case of
Connecticut, they happened to survive. As such, the pleadings and
testimony in the divorce case of my ancestors, Richard Edwards and
Elizabeth Tuttle, is still extant.

The purposeful destruction of sensitive records is not necessarily a
modern practice. I think most men realize some things are best left
unsaid. And, if said, some things are left hidden away from view.

Leo van de Pas

nepřečteno,
18. 12. 2002 19:24:5118.12.02
komu:
Dear Douglas
Did you receive my message in regards to your question? I also sent it to
you directly but it bounced.
Best wishes
Leo van de Pas

0 nových zpráv