Was Avelina/Duvelina de Crepon married twice??

don

Jun 27, 2005, 2:41:29 PM6/27/05
Was Avelina/Duvelina de Crepon b. 942-944 married twice?
1st bef. 976 to Osbern I Gifford b. ca. 940 & had 3 known sons
1. Godfred d'Arques
2. Osbern II de Bolbec b. 970-80
3. Gautier Walter "the Elder" de Bolbec b. ca. 970 d. aft. 1048

then she married 2nd ca. 979 to Thorold/Tourude/Turulf de Harcourt b.
ca. 940 d. aft. 1040 & had 7 known children
1. Honfroy/Humphrey de Harcourt b. ca. 980
2. Herbrand de Harcourt b. ca. 982
3. Gilbert de Harcourt b. ca. 984
4. Richard de Harcourt b. ca. 986
5. Turchetil de Harcourt b. ca. 988
6. Ilbert de Harcourt b. ca. 988
7. Josseline de Harcourt b. ca. 990

Couldn't find on internet anything to substantiate this.
Thank you.
Don

Todd A. Farmerie

Jun 27, 2005, 5:13:45 PM6/27/05
don wrote:
> Was Avelina/Duvelina de Crepon b. 942-944 married twice?

Not that we know of (and by the way, she wasn't "de Crepon", a property
which appears to have been grated to her brother after Gunnora's
marriage). The problem is that some sources have confused the various
sisters - who married whom.

> 1st bef. 976 to Osbern I Gifford b. ca. 940 & had 3 known sons
> 1. Godfred d'Arques
> 2. Osbern II de Bolbec b. 970-80
> 3. Gautier Walter "the Elder" de Bolbec b. ca. 970 d. aft. 1048

This was probably sister Wevia. They had Godfrey and Walter. I am not
aware of an early source that supports Osbern II, and I suspect that he
is here in order to connect later people of the same surname to this
trunk. Also, the dates here appear to be too early. THere has been
much discussion as to Walter - how many there were in succession and
there relative ages.

> then she married 2nd ca. 979 to Thorold/Tourude/Turulf de Harcourt b.
> ca. 940 d. aft. 1040 & had 7 known children

This is probably Duvelina (but this is a choice of the more likely among
competing sources, based on the name appearing in this line a couple of
generations later - the two could just as well be reversed, but only one
husband each).

> 1. Honfroy/Humphrey de Harcourt b. ca. 980
> 2. Herbrand de Harcourt b. ca. 982
> 3. Gilbert de Harcourt b. ca. 984
> 4. Richard de Harcourt b. ca. 986
> 5. Turchetil de Harcourt b. ca. 988
> 6. Ilbert de Harcourt b. ca. 988
> 7. Josseline de Harcourt b. ca. 990

Most of these listed children are without foundation, as is the surname
given them and their father (the first "de Harcourt" was nephew of
Torulf). Torulf was called "de Pont Audemer" (which just means that he
was from, or lord of that place - it was not a surname) while the only
son I am aware of is Humphrey de Vielles, whose son was Roger de
Beaumont. As to Josceline, she was "niece" of Gunnora, but seemed to
have been a major heiress, making it more likely she was not from a
family with this number of sons. It has been argued that she was likely
daughter of Senfrida, who had no known sons, and hence Joscelina was a
(co-)heiress. The dates are all invented - note that you have Torulf
living past 100.

taf