Harolds other siblings?

Betty Owen

Dec 26, 2002, 9:58:59 PM12/26/02
Again I speak of Harold II of Englands (last saxon King)

Okay what the book tells us about Harold's family
we know his sister Edith was married to King Edward and that there were no childern.
Tosti was married to Judith of Flanders ---- was there any childern from this marriage?
then there was Gyrth do we know about how old he was?
Harold at the time he died seems to have been about 44 years old.
Was Gyrth married? Do we know if he had childern?
and the same questions for Leofwine do we know how old he was and if he was married and had any childern?

Harold, Gyrth and Leofwine all died at the battle of Hastings.
he had 2 other sisters...
gunnhild-- I think she goes to the church...
Then there was Aelfgyva which seems to be his youngest sister. There was some theories on her more than anything.... She may have been with him when he made his trip over to Normandy.... in fact on there wasy to arrange a marriage..... but this was not definite..... Are there any clues as to what happened to her?
Sadly Wulfnoth the youngest brother... was taken as hostage in 1051 and then transferred to William and he died in 1094 in captivity. Does anyone know how old he was at the time of his death?

Kai Werner Ųstreng

Dec 29, 2002, 4:29:14 PM12/29/02
""Betty Owen"" <wint...@wt.net> wrote in message
<SNIP>

> Tosti was married to Judith of Flanders ---- was there any childern from
this marriage?
<SNIP>

Yes, Skule Jarl Kongsfostre, (born about 1052, died in Rein, Rissa, Norway)
married Gudrun Nevsteinsdatter.

Their son Asulv Skuleson Rein, (b. about 1075, Rein , Rissa, Norway)
married Tora Skoftesdatter Giske.

Regards,
Kai from Norway

Todd A. Farmerie

Jan 1, 2003, 9:10:17 AM1/1/03
Betty Owen wrote:

> Tosti was married to Judith of Flanders ---- was there any childern from this marriage?

Tostig is assigned two sons by later Scandinavian 'historians',
but it there is no documentation that they were sons of Judith
(if they were even sons of Tostig

> then there was Gyrth do we know about how old he was?
> Harold at the time he died seems to have been about 44 years old.
> Was Gyrth married? Do we know if he had childern?
> and the same questions for Leofwine do we know how old he was and if he was married and had any childern?

No reported marriages for either, which neither precludes a
marriage that escaped notice in surviving documents, nor children
born without the benefit of clergical intervention, but again,
none are documented.

taf

Kai Werner Ųstreng

Jan 2, 2003, 7:19:17 AM1/2/03
The author of Morkinskinna (written approx 1217-1222) says that
"Skule(Skuli) was the son of Earl Toste, son of Gothwin". Fagrskinna also
refer to "Skuli, son of Earl Toste". These sources may not be contemporary,
but the first (Morkinskinna) is within 130-135 years of the death of
Skuli.....:-)
Concerning Judith; is there any documentation that Tostig had children
outside his marriage to Judith?

Regards,
Kai from Norway

"Todd A. Farmerie" <farm...@interfold.com> wrote
<SNIP>> Tostig is assigned two sons by later Scandinavian 'historians',

Stewart Baldwin

Jan 7, 2003, 11:57:55 AM1/7/03
On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 13:19:17 +0100, "Kai Werner Østreng"
<kai...@frisurf.no> wrote:

>Concerning Judith; is there any documentation that
>Tostig had children outside his marriage to Judith?

There is no such direct documentation that I am aware of, but if Skúli
and Ketill were in fact sons of Tostig, they are unlikely to have been
children of Judith. The reasons are:

Onomastic: Tostig and Judith are unlikely to have given their
children Norwegian names.

Chronological: Skúli at least is likely to have been born before the
marriage of Tostig and Judith. This point has been discussed on this
forum before.

Also, see Judith's page at the Henry Project:

http://sbaldw.home.mindspring.com/hproject/prov/judit000.htm

The most likely two possibilities are:

either (1) Skúli and Ketill were not sons of Tostig,

or (2) Skúli and Tostig were sons of Tostig by a union (presumably
with a Norwegian woman) made prior to Tostig's marriage to Judith.

Stewart Baldwin