Sir Richard Whetehill

Leo van de Pas

Feb 22, 2007, 11:41:21 PM2/22/07
to GEN-MED...@rootsweb.com
Sir Ottewell Worsley, of Calais ca.1410 - 24 March 1470
was the father of
Margaret Worsley, she married about 1460 Adrian Whetehill, Comptroller of Calais,
their son
Sir Richard Whetehill, of Calais was born about 1465 and he died about 1536/1537
he married about 1491 Elizabeth Muston, so far I found only two daughters for this couple, Elizabeth and Margery.

Does anyone have more biographical details for this Sir Richard Whetehill? His maternal grandfather lived in Calais, and so did his parents and he is shown as Sir Richard Whetehill, of Calais......did he remain in Calais all his life?

With many thanks.
Leo van de Pas
Canberra, Australia

jonathan kirton

Feb 23, 2007, 7:54:11 AM2/23/07
to Leo van de Pas, GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com
Dear Leo,

I have no proof that your Sir Richard Whetehill also had
a son, but I suspect
that he did, for the following reasons:

1. Middlesex Pedigrees, p. 106, Kirton of Edmonton.
See: Stephen Kirton, of London, Alderman of the City of
London, & of
Edmonton, Middlesex. and his wife Margaret (nee
Offley), had an eldest
daughter, Jane (born: 1530; married: 1546, aged 16, to
Richard Wethill.

2. "Survey of London" (1603) by John Stow, p. 145: Stephen
Kyrton, merchant
Taylor, Alderman, 1553.
p.151, Limestreete Ward: shows mentions of Stephen Kirton,
and in the last
paragraph states:
"Next unto this on the high streete, was the Lord Sowches
Messuage or
tenement, and other. In place whereof RICHARDE WETHELL
(note 1 shows
alternate spelling: WHETHILL, 1598), Merchant Taylor, builded
a fayre house,
with an high Tower, the seconde in number, and first of
tymber, that euer I
learned to have been builded to overlooke neighbours in
this Citie.'
p. 152: "This Richard then a young man, became in short
time so tormented
with goutes in his ioynts (sic. joints), of the hands and
legges, that he could
nether feede him selfe, nor goe further then he was led,
much less was he
able to climbe, and take the pleasure of his Tower."

3. Stephen Kirton's will (P.C.C. 17 Tashe) written: 1 Feb.,
1552, proved 29 Aug.
1553-4. "Item I will further that yf my Children their
partes do amounte to
euery of them in goodes above the value of two hundredth
poundes str. for
so much I dyd give unto my sonne in lawe Rochard
Whethill to the
marriage of my daughter, That then my said sonne in lawe
shalhaue the
hole cost ouer and above two hundred poundes. And if my
childrens partes
do not amounte to the said value then I will and
bequethe unto my said
sonne in lawe Richard Withill for his paynes taken in
ayding my wief the
some of twentie poundes."

Hope this will be of interest.

Jonathan Kirton

John Higgins

Feb 23, 2007, 12:47:53 PM2/23/07
to GEN-MED...@rootsweb.com
"The Ancestry of Mary Isaac", by Walter Goodwin Davis (1955), has a full
chapter on the Whetehill family, including 10 or 12 detailed pages on Sir
Richard, with references to many contemporary documents. He seems to have
spent the bulk of his life in Calais, although with various trips to and
from London. He certainly was buried in Calais and presuambly died there as
well.

John Higgins

Feb 23, 2007, 12:55:46 PM2/23/07
to GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com
Walter Goodwin Davis, in his "Ancestry of Mary Isaac", mentions the Richard
Whetehill who mar. Jane Kirton in a fottnote to the Whetehill chapter of
the book. This Richard was of a Whetehill family of Leicestershire which
bore totally different arms from the Whetehills of Calais (who apparently
came from Northamptonshire via London). This Richard was (as far as is
known) totally unrelated to Sir Richard of Calais and his family. Confusion
apparently arises because this other Richard apparently had some dealings in
Calais as well.

John Higgins

Feb 24, 2007, 12:21:11 PM2/24/07
to GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com
According to Davis, Sir Richard Whetehill (d. 1537) and his wife Elizabeth Muston had 14 children, but only 7 are identified (based primarily on the wills of Sir Richard and his wife). They are:

Elizabeth, m. (as his 2nd wife) John St. John of Lydiard Tregoz (d. 1576)
Robert, m. Jane Greenfield [or Grenville] of Calais
Margaret, m. (1) Robert Creyke of Ryton; m. (2) NN Fitton
Gilbert
Nicholas, m. (her 2nd Dorothy Mantell
Margery, m. Edward Isaac of Well
Katherine