Royal Ancestry and commonality

gup...@yahoo.com

Mar 3, 2004, 5:45:17 PM3/3/04
Is it quite common to have royal ancestry?

Peter Stewart

Mar 3, 2004, 10:30:40 PM3/3/04
gup...@yahoo.com (gup...@yahoo.com) wrote in message news:<ec6d8ef6.04030...@posting.google.com>...

> Is it quite common to have royal ancestry?

Yes, dead common - even Queen Elizabeth II has some.

So do many millions of others. It's slightly less common to be able to
trace this if the information wasn't transmitted across the
generations between, but millions of people can manage that too with
enough research.

Peter Stewart

Mayt...@aol.com

Mar 4, 2004, 4:11:38 AM3/4/04
Yes.

gup...@yahoo.com

Mar 4, 2004, 7:20:53 PM3/4/04
I suspected as much, but it still fascinates me. When my mother died 8
years ago, I only knew that my maternal grandfather's name was
"grandpa" :-)

It's just something that was never really discussed where I grew up,-
the South U.S.,-- where you should never ask about things like
heredity. Sure, we had family reunions each year where hundreds of
people who shared the same last name would gather together and compare
noses,- but it was more like a gathering of friends than family.

Turns out, some people on her side of the family have not only been
going to reunions, they've been writing down names and dates and
fathers and mothers names for years and years. Why, I found my name in
3 different genealogy books (as well as the name of my grandpa)that
were published before I was even 10 years old!

And upon really "getting into" the research, discovered that on
mother's side of the family people have traced and written about
ancestry on her side of the family back to a Rev. Thomas James and an
Agnes Harris. Then found out that these two ancestors are in a book
called Ancestral Roots that traces their lineages back to tons of
Kings, Queens and other nobility.

Why, I've discovered that I'm allegedly descended from Henry, I
through Matilda of Scotland, Nest, and an unknown Mistress! 3 times
from this one man. Guess he got around a lot.

And 8 years ago, I only knew my grandfather's name was grandpa.
Amazing.

Jon Meltzer

Mar 5, 2004, 7:31:46 PM3/5/04
<gup...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Is it quite common to have royal ancestry?

Extremely.

For the region I know the most about: you're almost sure to hit a royal
gateway ancestor if you have any great-grandparents with New England
ancestry.

(And someone - might it have been Gary Roberts? - once estimated that
everyone in western Europe is descended from Charlemagne ... )

Nathaniel Taylor

Mar 6, 2004, 12:16:24 AM3/6/04
In article <SZ82c.33916$hm4....@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
"Jon Meltzer" <jonmeltzeratmi...@youknow.whattodo> wrote:

Or rather that everyone of demonstrable or assumable Western European
ancestry is likely a descendant of Charlemagne. There are, I imagine,
many people in Western Europe right now who are but newly arrived from
some of the most isolated geographic and demographic pockets in the
world, who are the least likely to descend from Charlemagne (if he is
not already a global common ancestor).

But there is a consistently-recirculated body of conjecture on this
point (which I find pretty easy to accept), summed up pretty well by the
website of Mark Humphrys of Dublin:

> http://www.compapp.dcu.ie/~humphrys/FamTree/Royal/ca.html

Nat Taylor

http://home.earthlink.net/~nathanieltaylor/

L Mahler

Mar 6, 2004, 4:01:08 AM3/6/04
The reasons why royal descent can be found more often with English
ancestry, as compared to other European countries:

The parish registers in England begin earlier (1538), though of
course, not all registers begin that early.

My experience in continental Europe ( Hainaut & Namur in Belgium;
Franche Comte & Alsace in France) is that parish registers begin later
there - about 1660 on average, sometimes earlier if one is lucky.

Also, England has many records that are usually easy to access -
probate records, sometimes helpful manorial records, lawsuits,
apprenticeships etc., things which are usually more difficult to get
access to for other European countries.

One can often find wills going back to about 1540 in England, for
people of yeoman status & higher.

Leslie

<gup...@yahoo.com> wrote

> > Is it quite common to have royal ancestry?
>
> Extremely.

"Jon Meltzer" <jonmeltzeratmi...@youknow.whattodo> wrote

Francisco Antonio Doria

Mar 6, 2004, 4:21:42 AM3/6/04

Leslie,

Here in Brazil, if you can trace your ancestry into an
old Brazilian family (quite likely if your family has
been here for about three generations and has married
ouside the immigrant circle), you'll quite easily plug
in into several well-known Founding Fathers and
Mothers that belonged to side branches of old European
noble families.

fa

--- L Mahler <lma...@att.net> escreveu: > The

Yahoo! Mail - O melhor e-mail do Brasil! Abra sua conta agora:
http://br.yahoo.com/info/mail.html

Renia

Mar 6, 2004, 4:50:50 AM3/6/04
> Is it quite common to have royal ancestry?

Not as common as this newsgroup would have you believe.

Renia

Francisco Antonio Doria

Mar 6, 2004, 7:49:35 AM3/6/04
--- Renia <ren...@ntlworld.com> escreveu: >

It's quite common around here.

fa

Mayt...@aol.com

Mar 6, 2004, 7:56:59 AM3/6/04
And quite common in my family history society too! Where at least 3 of us go
back to the same commom ancestor.

Francisco Antonio Doria

Mar 6, 2004, 8:22:11 AM3/6/04
--- Mayt...@aol.com escreveu: > And quite common in

my family history society too!
> Where at least 3 of us go
> back to the same commom ancestor.

As far as I can tell, as an arbitrary individual in
the US & England has a large chance of being descended
from Edward III, nearky everybody in Brazil and
Portugal is descended from King Diniz ``the farmer''
(late 13th century).

Gordon Banks

Mar 7, 2004, 3:31:43 PM3/7/04
The most likely sticking point would seem to be American Indians.
Although most now have a some European ancestry, there are still tribes
in South America that don't. Of course, there are those who think there
was significant inflow of old world human genes to the Americas all
through history. A counter argument would be that they certainly didn't
bring their diseases with them, since when Columbus arrived the American
Native populations from Canada to Argentina were decimated within a
century by European diseases to which they were naive.

Francisco Antonio Doria

Mar 7, 2004, 7:56:03 PM3/7/04

There are several Inca descents into both Spanish and
criollo nobility. Also descents from native Mexican
nobility into the Spanish one.

fa

norenxaq

Mar 7, 2004, 8:06:19 PM3/7/04

Francisco Antonio Doria wrote:

> There are several Inca descents into both Spanish and
> criollo nobility. Also descents from native Mexican
> nobility into the Spanish one.
>
> fa

Hello:

could you provide details about either? Also, did any Zapotec, Quiche
royal descendants or Xiu members family marry into European nobility? If
so, who?

thank-you