NORTON

Kathryn Graham

Mar 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/9/97

>Recently discovered a new line from Elizabeth NORTON b. ca 1631 York Co. ME
>m. Sylvester STOVER.
>
>I have found an account of the NORTON family in NEHGR 13:226-229, dated 1859
>and also AF. Is the following line still correct? If not, can someone point
>me toward a better source? These are all names I am unfamiliar with.

I think this is bogus. I've check 'Ancestral Roots of Certain Colonists'
[7th edition] and can find none of these families.

Kathie

>1. Le Signr. de NORVILE came with Wm. the Conqueror, m. into house of VALOIS.
>2. Sr. de NORVILE m. into the house of BARR.
>3. Sr. de NORVILE m. into the house of DALBEMONTE.
>4. Sr. de NORVILE m. Auelina d/o Neuil of RABY.
>5. Sr. de NORVILE m. Joricia d/o Sigr. Dampre de COURT.
>6. Sr. de NORVILE alias NORTON m. dau. of Sir John HADSCOKE
>7. Sr. de NORVILE alis NORTON m. dau. of Monsignr. BASSINGBOURNE
>8. Sir John NORTON m. dau. of Lord Grey de RUTHYN.
>9. John NORTON of Sharpenhow,Bedfordshire m. ---------.
>10. John NORTON of Sharpenhow,Bedfordshire m. 2nd. Jane COWPER.
>11. Thomas NORTON of Sharpenhow,Bedfordshire m. Elizabeth MERRY.
>12. Thomas NORTON b. ca. 1552 m. 2nd. Alice CRANMER d/o Edmond CRANMER.
>13. Henry NORTON m. Sarah LAWSON
>14. Henry NORTON b. 26 Nov 1617 d. 1659 York Co. ME m. Margaret -----.
>15. Elizabeth NORTON b. ca. 1631 York Co. ME m. Sylvester STOVER.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Gee Gee

Gee Gee Hughes

Todd A. Farmerie

Mar 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/10/97

Gee Gee Hughes wrote:

> I have found an account of the NORTON family in NEHGR 13:226-229, dated 1859
> and also AF. Is the following line still correct?

An old favorite. No,the Norville/Norton transition is not valid.

> If not, can someone point
> me toward a better source? These are all names I am unfamiliar with.
>
> 1. Le Signr. de NORVILE came with Wm. the Conqueror, m. into house of VALOIS.
> 2. Sr. de NORVILE m. into the house of BARR.
> 3. Sr. de NORVILE m. into the house of DALBEMONTE.
> 4. Sr. de NORVILE m. Auelina d/o Neuil of RABY.
> 5. Sr. de NORVILE m. Joricia d/o Sigr. Dampre de COURT.
> 6. Sr. de NORVILE alias NORTON m. dau. of Sir John HADSCOKE
> 7. Sr. de NORVILE alis NORTON m. dau. of Monsignr. BASSINGBOURNE
> 8. Sir John NORTON m. dau. of Lord Grey de RUTHYN.

<SNIP> (or perhaps even after John #9)

> 9. John NORTON of Sharpenhow,Bedfordshire m. ---------.
> 10. John NORTON of Sharpenhow,Bedfordshire m. 2nd. Jane COWPER.
> 11. Thomas NORTON of Sharpenhow,Bedfordshire m. Elizabeth MERRY.
> 12. Thomas NORTON b. ca. 1552 m. 2nd. Alice CRANMER d/o Edmond CRANMER.

He was brother of Archbishop Thomas Cranmer, and both the Nortons and
Cranmers are discussed in some detail in Waters' Chesters of Chickeley.
I recall a discussion of the various descendants of #10.John Norton
(perhaps in an attempt to identify Thomas of CT) in either NEHGR or TAG,
and there is also some information in Early Families of Guilford, CT. A
royal descent (disproved in last years NEHGR) through Cranmer, Russell,
etc. was included in Roberts' 500 Americans, so you should be able to
tell how solid the #12.Thomas to #14.Henry link is from whether it is
included there.

> 13. Henry NORTON m. Sarah LAWSON
> 14. Henry NORTON b. 26 Nov 1617 d. 1659 York Co. ME m. Margaret -----.
> 15. Elizabeth NORTON b. ca. 1631 York Co. ME m. Sylvester STOVER.

taf

Todd A. Farmerie

Mar 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/11/97

Todd A. Farmerie wrote:

> Gee Gee Hughes wrote:
> >
> > 9. John NORTON of Sharpenhow,Bedfordshire m. ---------.
> > 10. John NORTON of Sharpenhow,Bedfordshire m. 2nd. Jane COWPER.
> > 11. Thomas NORTON of Sharpenhow,Bedfordshire m. Elizabeth MERRY.
> > 12. Thomas NORTON b. ca. 1552 m. 2nd. Alice CRANMER d/o Edmond CRANMER.
>
> He was brother of Archbishop Thomas Cranmer, and both the Nortons and
> Cranmers are discussed in some detail in Waters' Chesters of Chickeley.
> I recall a discussion of the various descendants of #10.John Norton
> (perhaps in an attempt to identify Thomas of CT) in either NEHGR or TAG,
> and there is also some information in Early Families of Guilford, CT. A
> royal descent (disproved in last years NEHGR) through Cranmer, Russell,
> etc. was included in Roberts' 500 Americans, so you should be able to
> tell how solid the #12.Thomas to #14.Henry link is from whether it is
> included there.
>
> > 13. Henry NORTON m. Sarah LAWSON
> > 14. Henry NORTON b. 26 Nov 1617 d. 1659 York Co. ME m. Margaret -----.
> > 15. Elizabeth NORTON b. ca. 1631 York Co. ME m. Sylvester STOVER.
>
> taf

Just to update my own post, the article I had in mind was in TAG, vol.12
(I don't have the first page(s) in my copy, but what I have runs
pp.102-14.) Roberts does show the descent from Henry (#14) to Thomas
(#12).

taf