Tamlaght Lower

Jan Morrison

Nov 27, 2002, 9:42:01 PM11/27/02
If a copy of a marriage entry [1854] of Church of Ireland says at parish
church,in the parish of Tamlaght Lower,County of Londonderry, does that mean
The Church of Ireland in the town of Tamlaght?
Would there have been more than one Church of Ireland in the town of
Tamlaght?
Jan

Phil Garland

Nov 28, 2002, 3:46:33 AM11/28/02
Jan
the parish of Tamlaght lower might indeed have had more than one church. The
parish might have been a combined "union" of 2 or more parishes by that
stage.
I recently did some research in Leitrim and Cavan. I found no fewer than 10
churches (including chapels) within the church of ireland parish. This was
as a result of some buildings being used for periods of time, then others
taking over.
However, whilst I offer a note of caution, the wording does indicate that it
was the parish church - and hence would be the principal church of the
parish of Tamlaght. The parish being a broad area, however. So the the
parish church may or may not actually have been IN the town.
The representative church body library should be able to answer your query
with accuracy.
http://www.ireland.anglican.org/library/

Good luck
Phil

"Jan Morrison" <jan...@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

Sean MacLochlainn

Nov 28, 2002, 11:35:29 AM11/28/02
"Jan Morrison" <jan...@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

> If a copy of a marriage entry [1854] of Church of Ireland says at parish

1. There is no town called Tamlaght.

2. Tamlaght appears in the names of several parishes in Co Derry, Tamlaght,
Tamlaght Finlagan, Tamlaght O Crilly and Tamlaghtard.

3. You might find it spelled Tamlacht.

Sean

LarryDoherty

Nov 28, 2002, 3:05:09 PM11/28/02

No it doesn't necessarily mean the town of Tamlaght. It will however be
situated in one of the civil parishes that I've listed below probably with
the exception of Tamlaght-ard - 'ard' meaning 'high'.

The word Tamlaght or Tamhlacht in its original Gaelic form usually denoted a
religious burial site that had evolved from an earlier pagan site. The
placename is most common in Co Derry / Londonderry. At least four, and
probably all, of these places in Derry were early church sites. Tamlaght
O'Crilly carries the name of the 'erenaghs' who were hereditary churchland
tenants and keepers. Finlagan comes from a saint who founded the original
church. His name was St Fionnlugh, a brother of St Fiontan, and a deciple of
St Colmcille. (Ref. Irish Place Names, Deirdre and Laurence Flanagan, Gill &
Macmillan).

There was in 1851, and probably still is, a town named Tamlaght in Co Derry
/ Londonderry. It is also worth noting that Church of Ireland parishes
generally matched civil parishes.

Perhaps somebody with local knowledge or from the Derry/Londonderry Heritage
Centre can identify the parish of Tamlaght Lower.

The following Civil Parishes, with Tamlaght in their names, appear in the
1851 Townland Index (based on 1851 Census):

Tamlaght
County : Londonderry (Derry)
Barony : Loughinsholin
Poor Law Union (PLU) : Magherafelt
(Part - about half - of this Civil Parish overlapped into County Tyrone,
Barony of Dungannon Upper, PLU of Cookstown.

Tamlaght-ard or Magilligan
County : Londonderry (Derry)
Barony : Keenaght
Poor Law Union (PLU) : Newtownlimavady

Tamlaght Finlagan
County : Londonderry (Derry)
Barony : Keenaght
Poor Law Union (PLU) : Newtownlimavady

Tamlaght O'Crilly
County : Londonderry (Derry)
Barony : Loughinsholin and Coleraine
Poor Law Union (PLU) : Magherafelt and Balllymoney (respectively)

The following Townlands, with Tamlaght in their names, also appear in the
1851 Townland Index.

Tamlaght
County : Londonderry (Derry)
Barony : Coleraine
Parish (Civil) : Aghadowey
Poor Law Union (PLU) : Balllymoney

Tamlaght
County : Londonderry (Derry)
Barony : Keenaght
Parish (Civil) : Magilligan
Poor Law Union (PLU) : Newtownlimavady

Tamlaght
County : Londonderry (Derry)
Barony : Keenaght
Parish (Civil) : Tamlaght Finlagan
Poor Law Union (PLU) : Newtownlimavady

Tamlaght
County : Londonderry (Derry)
Barony : Loughinsholin
Parish (Civil) : Tamlaght
Poor Law Union (PLU) : Magherafelt

Tamlaghtduff
County : Londonderry (Derry)
Barony : Loughinsholin
Parish (Civil) : Ballyscullion
Poor Law Union (PLU) : Magherafelt

Tamlaghtmore
County : Londonderry (Derry)
Barony : Loughinsholin
Parish (Civil) : Derryloran
Poor Law Union (PLU) : Magherafelt

TAMLAGHT TOWN
County : Londonderry (Derry)
Barony : Loughinsholin
Parish (Civil) : Tamlaght O'Crilly
Poor Law Union (PLU) : Magherafelt

Hope this is helpful

Larry Doherty

certsnsearches

Nov 28, 2002, 3:22:51 PM11/28/02

"Jan Morrison" <jan...@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
Tamlaght O' Crilly lower and upper have no pre-1870 entries.
Tamlaght Finlagen are in local custody.
Tamlaghtard are in local custody

Tamlaght itself is also in local custody but also on SLC Film 824282.
Contact your nearest Mormon Temples Family History Centre for that film.

Brian

Sean MacLochlainn

Nov 28, 2002, 5:22:14 PM11/28/02
"LarryDoherty" <larryd...@eircom.net> wrote in message

> There was in 1851, and probably still is, a town named Tamlaght in Co
Derry

> TAMLAGHT TOWN

> County : Londonderry (Derry)
> Barony : Loughinsholin
> Parish (Civil) : Tamlaght O'Crilly
> Poor Law Union (PLU) : Magherafelt

There may be townlands called Tamlagh, but there is no town (main street,
shops, church, bars, etc) of that name in Co Derry.

Sean

LarryDoherty

Nov 28, 2002, 5:56:20 PM11/28/02
Ah, The Mystery of the Disappearing Town...
In 1851 there was a Tamlaght Town...so what did they do with it? Has
somebody misplaced it? :-)

"Sean MacLochlainn" <macloc...@oceanfree.net> wrote in message

Sean MacLochlainn

Nov 28, 2002, 6:41:33 PM11/28/02

> Ah, The Mystery of the Disappearing Town...
> In 1851 there was a Tamlaght Town...so what did they do with it? Has
> somebody misplaced it? :-)

The mapmakers certainly have.

Sean

LarryDoherty

Nov 28, 2002, 8:31:35 PM11/28/02
So, who can throw any light on this. Let's hear from you.....

"Sean MacLochlainn" <macloc...@oceanfree.net> wrote in message

Irs...@aol.com

Nov 28, 2002, 9:55:10 PM11/28/02

In a message dated 11/28/02 6:21:14 PM, larryd...@eircom.net writes:

<< So, who can throw any light on this. Let's hear from you.....

Just about the time you think you have Irish research nailed, somehow,
sometime you'll find something to throw you.
In the 1851 Alpha Index to the Townlands, Tamlaght is mentioned... 13 times!
Antrim (3) Armagh (2), Fermanagh (1), Londonderry (4) Tyrone (3).
Any particular one of interest?

Is Mise Gan Ainm

Nov 28, 2002, 10:25:07 PM11/28/02
That is probably where one's missing, or lost ancestors are
. ;-)

--
Mise Pádraig ?
(No Personal Replies Please - If my address appears when you

"Sean MacLochlainn" <macloc...@oceanfree.net> wrote in

message news:UQxF9.32052$zX3....@news.indigo.ie...

---
11/25/02

Jim Green

Nov 29, 2002, 3:26:28 AM11/29/02

"Is Mise Gan Ainm" <nospa...@rogers.com> wrote in message

> That is probably where one's missing, or lost ancestors are
> . ;-)

It was not uncommon for our ancestors in the 18th and 19th centuries to
dissapear from our research...only to turn up somewhere else.

I found a Tamlaght near Mohill in Leitrim.

Perhaps life was so harsh that the towns likewise migrated??

Could Tamlaght (leitrim) be the very same Tamlaght...or son of Tamlaght??

LarryDoherty

Nov 29, 2002, 4:54:25 AM11/29/02
Yes, there are indeed Tamlaghts in Ulster counties other than Derry, not to
mention Tallaght in Dublin, which was originally Tamhlacht Maolruain, after
a monastic site founded by St Maolruain.
But, where has that town in Derry disappeared to...?

Larry

Sean MacLochlainn

Nov 29, 2002, 5:34:56 AM11/29/02

> But, where has that town in Derry disappeared to...?

Stop confusing the Yanks, it was never there in the first place. I suspect
it is an anglicisation of Baile na Tamlacht (town of the burial field). As
you well know, baile (anglicised bally- or -town) indicates a rural farm
cluster rather than a built up area with streets, etc.

Sean

Irs...@aol.com

Nov 29, 2002, 10:09:12 AM11/29/02

In a message dated 11/29/02 2:21:08 AM, larryd...@eircom.net writes:

<< Yes, there are indeed Tamlaghts in Ulster counties other than Derry, not to
mention Tallaght in Dublin, which was originally Tamhlacht Maolruain, after
a monastic site founded by St Maolruain.

But, where has that town in Derry disappeared to...? >>

:D I worked for a dentist once. I think I finally know his general attitude
when he had a tooth extraction to deal with. ;-)
In Derry, there are:
Ordnance Survey Sheet # 19 County Derry Barony of Coleraine, Parish of
Aghadowey, Poor Law Union of Ballymoney
Ordnance Survey Sheet # 5,6, Co. Derry, Barony of Keenaght, Parish of
Magilligan, PLU of New T'Limavady
Ordnance Survey Sheet #9, 16 Co. Derry, Barony of Keenaght, Parish of
Tamlaght Finlagan, PLU of New t'Limavady
Ordnance Survey Sheet # 48, 49 Co. Derry, Barony of Loughinsholin, Parish of
Tamlaght, PLU of Magherafelt
As a Parish of Tamlaght, the Index shows the Parish of Tamlaght Magilligan in
OSS # 1,2,5 and 6 and the Parish of Tamlaght Finlagan on OSS # 5, 9, 16, and
24.
If you can find the townland on an 1851 townland map (check with PRONI), the
place will remain the same even if the townland name changed.

Irs...@aol.com

Nov 29, 2002, 10:33:21 AM11/29/02
I'm not sure what happened there, but the OSS numbers should read as follows:

In a message dated 11/29/02 7:08:47 AM, Irs...@aol.com writes:

<< In Derry, there are:
Ordnance Survey Sheet # 19 County Derry Barony of Coleraine, Parish of
Aghadowey, Poor Law Union of Ballymoney

Ordnance Survey Sheet # 5 and 6 Co. Derry, Barony of Keenaght, Parish of

Magilligan, PLU of New T'Limavady
Ordnance Survey Sheet #9, 16 Co. Derry, Barony of Keenaght, Parish of
Tamlaght Finlagan, PLU of New t'Limavady
Ordnance Survey Sheet # 48, 49 Co. Derry, Barony of Loughinsholin, Parish of
Tamlaght, PLU of Magherafelt

As a Parish of Tamlaght, the Index shows the Parish of Tamlaght Magilligan in
OSS # 1,2,5 and 6 and the Parish of Tamlaght Finlagan on OSS # 5, 9, 16, and
24.
If you can find the townland on an 1851 townland map (check with PRONI), the

place will remain the same even if the townland name changed. I have the
maps of the parish, barony, and PLU's from 1837 if that will help.

LarryDoherty

Nov 29, 2002, 4:54:58 PM11/29/02
The Townland Index lists towns in capital letters and shows them as follows
TAMLAGHT T. This policy is clearly stated at the start of the index. So,
joking apart, it would seem from the available evidence that Tamlaght,
despite being listed as a town in 1851, was in fact a village in the 1830's.
Maybe it grew with the increasing population pre famine. There have been
other cases of Irish villages being deserted after the famine, with many
houses falling into ruin and crumbling into the ground. On briefly searching
the web via Google under the search term Tamlaght I came across the
following extracts:

The Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland Volume 18: Parishes of County
Londonderry V 1830, 1833, 1836-7, Maghera & Tamlaght O'Crilly. Edited by
Angélique Day and Patrick McWilliams contains the Memoirs for the east
Londonderry parishes of Maghera and Tamlaght O'Crilly, the latter bordering
county Antrim. The scope of the reports is comprehensive, containing
descriptions of the towns of Maghera and Swatragh, and villages of Curran
and Tamlaght, as well as providing detailed information on natural features
and antiquities, emigration and education, and the traditions and
superstitions of the people. The material provides a fascinating insight
into life in this predominantly rural area over one hundred and fifty years
ago. The parishes covered in this volume are: Maghera, Tamlaght O'Crilly.
Extract from Lewis Topographical Dictionery (1837) : TAMLAGHTOCRILLY, a
parish, partly in the barony of COLERAINE, but chiefly in that of
LOUGHINSHOLIN, county of LONDONDERRY, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (N.
W.) from Portglenone, on the river Bann; containing 10,070 inhabitants. The
parish comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 16,839 statute acres,
the general quality of which is light and cold, with a good deal of moss or
bog, being chiefly composed of decomposed basalt; in some places there are
escars of sand and rubble, and in others the bare rocks of basalt rise above
the land; in some districts large detached masses of basalt are scattered in
great confusion, so that not more than three-fourths of the land can be said
to be available for tillage, the system of which is rapidly improving; good
crops of corn, flax, and potatoes are produced, and are likely to be still
further augmented by reason of the increasing application of lime as manure.
There are considerable tracts of turbary in various parts of the parish, in
which large trunks of oak and fir are imbedded. Five townlands of the parish
belong to the Mercers' Company, and are in the manor of Kilrea; seven belong
to the see of Derry, and are in the manor of Maghera, as are also the
several glebes. There are three inconsiderable villages, situated on the
western side of the river Bann, namely, Tamlaght, Glenone, and Innisrush.
The gentlemen's seats are Innisrush, the residence of Hercules Ellis, Esq.;
Glenburn, of J. Courtenay, Esq.; Termoneeny glebe-house, of the Rev. C. S.
Foster; Hervey-hill, of the Rev. W. Napper, the incumbent; and Glenone, of
the Rev. M. Bloxham, curate of the chapel of ease. The living is a rectory
and perpetual cure, in the diocese of Derry, the former in the patronage of
the Bishop, and the latter in that of the incumbent: the tithes amount to
£435. 19., payable to the rector; the glebe comprises 564 acres, valued at
£522. 2. per annum. The income of the perpetual curate arises from £92. 6.
2., payable by the rector, and £4. 7. 6., the rent of two houses; he has
also a glebe-house, and a glebe of 15 acres, valued at £18. 15. per annum.
The peculiarity of the glebes is worthy of notice: Lisgorgan belongs to the
rector of Desertmartin, 6 miles distant; Ballymacpeake belongs to the rector
of Maghera and Termoneeny, upon which stands the glebe-house of the latter;
Killymuck belongs to the rector of Kilrea; and Moneystaghan to the rector of
Ballyscullion, besides the glebe of the rector of Tamlaght and the curate of
Tyanee chapelry. The church is in the village of Tamlaght: it was rebuilt in
1815 by aid of a loan of £1000 from the late Board of First Fruits. The
chapel at Tyanee is a small neat edifice, in the early English style, built
at the private expense of the late Earl of Bristol, Bishop of Derry, and to
the repairs of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted
£150. In the R. C. divisions the parish is part of the union or district of
Desertoghill; it contains two chapels, a small one at Greenlough, and a
larger one at Drumagarner, both plain buildings. At Boveedy is a
meeting-house for Presbyterians in connection with the Seceding Synod, of
the second class; one lately erected in the village of Tamlaght in
connection with the Synod of Ulster; and one at Drumbolg for Covenanters.
About 1200 children are educated in seventeen public schools, of which the
parochial school on the glebe is supported by the rector; those at Lismoyle
and Lisnagrott are partly supported by the Mercers' Company; one at
Gortmacrane is aided by R. Heyland, Esq.; those at Tyanee and Greenlough are
under the National Board, and twelve are in connection with the London
Hibernian Society. There are also two private schools, in which are about 70
children; and seven Sunday schools. The Rev. Ralph Mansfield, about 80 years
since, bequeathed £100 to the poor of the parish, of which only £50 remains,
the interest of which is distributed twice a year. There are some remains of
ancient fortifications; and at Tivaconway is a Druidical circle. On a rising
ground above the village is the sepulchral cave, or Tamlachta, from which
the parish derives its name.

Larry Doherty

"Sean MacLochlainn" <macloc...@oceanfree.net> wrote in message

Sean MacLochlainn

Nov 29, 2002, 5:18:14 PM11/29/02

> The Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland Volume 18: Parishes of County
> Londonderry V 1830, 1833, 1836-7, Maghera & Tamlaght O'Crilly. Edited by
> Angélique Day and Patrick McWilliams contains the Memoirs for the east
> Londonderry parishes of Maghera and Tamlaght O'Crilly, the latter
bordering
> county Antrim. The scope of the reports is comprehensive, containing
> descriptions of the towns of Maghera and Swatragh, and villages of Curran

> and Tamlaght...

So it isn't a town. Anyone familiar with the small size of the average
Irish town will know what to expect when Tamlaght is described as a
village.

Sean

LarryDoherty

Nov 29, 2002, 6:05:53 PM11/29/02

> So it isn't a town. Anyone familiar with the small size of the average
> Irish town will know what to expect when Tamlaght is described as a
> village.
>
> Sean

Sean, I understand what you are saying. Nobody is claiming that villages in
the early part of the 19th century in rural Ireland were all as developed
with permanent housing and proper streets as they are today.
What has been established is that in the 1830s Tamlaght seems to have been a
real village with a church, a meeting hall and a school nearby. More than a
cluster of rural farms I would say.
' .......The church is in the village of Tamlaght: it was rebuilt in1815
........At Boveedy is a meeting-house for Presbyterians in connection with

the Seceding Synod, of
the second class; one lately erected in the village of Tamlaght in
connection with the Synod of Ulster;

........About 1200 children are educated in seventeen public schools, of
which the
parochial school on the glebe (of Tamlaght) is supported by the
rector......' Lewis 1837
In 1851 the Townland Index specifically listed it as a town. Maybe it was a
populous village, a real village nonetheless.
In the mid 1840's the population of Ireland reached a record 8.5 million
people. In a short few years what were small villages swelled in population
and size and equally rapidly declined after the famine.

Larry

Sean MacLochlainn

Nov 29, 2002, 6:12:13 PM11/29/02
"Sean MacLochlainn" <macloc...@oceanfree.net> wrote in message

> So it isn't a town. Anyone familiar with the small size of the average
> Irish town will know what to expect when Tamlaght is described as a
> village.

I just spotted it on a map (OSNI, Discoverer sheet 8, Ballymoney, C911063).
Ballykissangel would give it a good run for its money.

Sean

Gerry

Nov 29, 2002, 6:49:34 PM11/29/02
First of all I have never seen so many replies to a message. There must be
nothing on TV.
On the practical side consider the possibility that the town has another
name - nothing to do with Tamlaght.
I used to live next door to the district/parish of Tamlaght - I just don't
remember whether there was a suffix to it or not.
However it was in County Derry (as we prefer to call it), it bordered also
on County Tyrone and near Magherafelt.
The town could possibly have been Coagh which is halfway between Cookstown
and Lough Neagh shores.

That's my two cents (now that we're on the Euro) worth.
Slán
Gerry

--
The reply address is 'OK'

Sean MacLochlainn

Nov 29, 2002, 8:02:21 PM11/29/02
"Gerry" <bulla...@eircom.net> wrote in message

> First of all I have never seen so many replies to a message. There must
be
> nothing on TV.

More like the pre-Christmas lull.

Sean

Dennis Ahern

Nov 30, 2002, 7:12:34 AM11/30/02
Irs...@aol.com wrote:

: If you can find the townland on an 1851 townland map (check with PRONI),

: the place will remain the same even if the townland name changed.

See http://proni.nics.gov.uk/geogindx/parishes/par248.htm except that for
some reason, the image file for the map doesn't seem to be working
anymore, at least not in my browser. Can anyone else see it, or is it
just me?

This, and other useful links, can be reached from the TIARA web site.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Dennis Ahern | The Irish Ancestral Research Association
Acton, Massachusetts | Dept. W, P.O. Box 619, Sudbury, MA 01776
ah...@world.std.com | http://www.tiara.ie

Mac

Nov 30, 2002, 9:05:13 PM11/30/02
any McIntyre's out there