Irish censuses

david

Jun 29, 2007, 8:34:33 AM6/29/07
Were there censuses for Ireland in 1891 or 1901 like in the U.K? Are they
available online? It's the Dublin area I'm interested in.

Thanks

David

Hugh Watkins

Jun 29, 2007, 10:21:10 AM6/29/07
david wrote:

> Were there censuses for Ireland in 1891 or 1901 like in the U.K?

yes

Are they
> available online?

no

It's the Dublin area I'm interested in.

you have to go to the archives in Dublin or pay a researcher
http://www.nationalarchives.ie/

1901 and 1911 survive the rest are mostly destroyed
you need a street address for easy access

anyone - is there an index of names?

I made
Help with census of the United Kingdom
http://www.rootsweb.com/~dnkcen/FAQ/uk-census.html
but it needs updating again

The National Archives of Ireland has arranged for the digitisation,
indexing and contextualisation of its most popular records, the census
records for 1901 and 1911. The resulting website will contain images of
the forms for each household and institution, which will be indexed by
name (all names), townland/street, age and sex. On the left, you can see
the household return for the Forristal family of Nottingham Street in
Dublin city - please double click to enlarge and view the caption. There
will also be illustrated information on what life was like in Ireland in
the early days of the last century. The site will be free to access,
with no charge to use the indexes or view the images.

The first phase of the project, Dublin City and County 1911, is to be
launched in Autumn 2007. We had hoped to launch earlier, but rapidly
changing technology has meant that we are revising the architecture of
the site, and this will lead to a small delay. <<

Hugh W

--

a wonderful artist in Denmark
http://www.ingerlisekristoffersen.dk/

Beta blogger
http://snaps4.blogspot.com/ photographs and walks

old blogger GENEALOGE
http://hughw36.blogspot.com/ MAIN BLOG

Sue J

Jun 29, 2007, 11:23:49 AM6/29/07
to gen...@rootsweb.com
When are they going to put the 2 censuses on line? It is like
everyone is so afraid information might get out about ancestors. It
is almost like a closed society. I'm still waiting for some decent
info to go up on Ancestry so I can find where in N. Ireland or Ireland
my DUFF ancestors came from before they suddenly show up in Dublin in
1851. They were Protestant and so far, have only been known as DUFF.

Sue

david

Jun 29, 2007, 1:21:00 PM6/29/07
Thanks Hugh. I'm glad to hear they are working on
the digitisation and will be online. Your webpage
about censuses is an excellent resource.

"Hugh Watkins" <hugh.w...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Jackson Bryan

Jul 1, 2007, 9:51:26 AM7/1/07
Dublin-based genealogical record agent.

http://www.geocities.com/irishrecordfinder/

Searching the 1901 & 1911 census returns at the Nat Archives daily.

Searchable by address or townland only, as no names index exists for either.

Graham Coward

Jul 9, 2007, 2:54:58 AM7/9/07
On 30/06/2007 1:23 AM, Sue J wrote:
> When are they going to put the 2 censuses on line? It is like
> everyone is so afraid information might get out about ancestors. It
> is almost like a closed society. I'm still waiting for some decent
> info to go up on Ancestry so I can find where in N. Ireland or Ireland
> my DUFF ancestors came from before they suddenly show up in Dublin in
> 1851. They were Protestant and so far, have only been known as DUFF.

Calm down Sue. It's a huge job and mostly done by volunteers.

Are you volunteering?

Graham

--
Please reply to group or
reply "off-group" by removing the two "z"s from my e-mail address.

Graham Coward
Melbourne, Australia
=====================
Coward Family History Web Site
http://www.cowardfamilyhistoryaustralia.info/

Sue J

Jul 9, 2007, 11:34:45 AM7/9/07
to cow...@zmelbpc.org.au, gen...@rootsweb.com
No, I am not volunteering. I have a very sick husband that I must
take care of. He is a military vet and the chemicals used in Viet Nam
era are catching up with him big time. He has already lost a leg.
Plus, I have my own disability to take care of. Just think what life
is going to be like when I hit 65 a few years from now.

Sue

Jul 10, 2007, 3:36:52 AM7/10/07
to gen...@rootsweb.com
Where are you Sue??
Cheers. Anne from chilly Cairns, Aus.

Sue J

Jul 10, 2007, 12:19:49 PM7/10/07
to gen...@rootsweb.com

Hi,

I am in Florida, USA

Graham Coward

Jul 10, 2007, 8:35:09 PM7/10/07
On 10/07/2007 1:34 AM, Sue J wrote:
> No, I am not volunteering. I have a very sick husband that I must
> take care of. He is a military vet and the chemicals used in Viet Nam
> era are catching up with him big time. He has already lost a leg.
> Plus, I have my own disability to take care of. Just think what life
> is going to be like when I hit 65 a few years from now.
>
> Sue

Sorry Sue. No offence meant. :-)

Sue J

Jul 10, 2007, 11:55:31 PM7/10/07
to cow...@zmelbpc.org.au, gen...@rootsweb.com
Hi Graham,

Sorry if my e-mail came back sounding like I took offense. I did not
mean it that way. I was just explaining that I was not volunteering
and why. I just wish I could get my family back further than 1851 but
I have no idea where in Ireland they came from. They just suddenly
appear in Dublin in an 1851 directory. The name so far as always been
DUFF, no Duffy, etc. My gr. gr. grandfather was born in 1834. I know
his father's name from the marriage document in 1854 but don't know
mother's name to help me track the family. The father's given name is
too common to help me. He was named John. My gr. gr. grandfather was
named Daniel DUFF and he married a lady named Jane BURROWES (BURROWS,
BURROUGHS), depending on the document you look at. :-) My e-mail
address only reflex my wishes to get the family to Scotland where that
name was the head name. I would like to link up with that surname
someday if possible and the records take me there.

Sue mac...@infionline.net

Jul 11, 2007, 1:19:18 AM7/11/07
Hi Sue,
Your DUFF family are more than likely to be Mc DUFF and the Mc has been
dropped either overtime or for some other reason, so please do take this
into account.
Regards,
David

Sue J

Jul 11, 2007, 1:32:01 AM7/11/07
to gen...@rootsweb.com
Hi David,

I agree. It could be any surname. I have tried Mc, Mac, Duffie,
Duffy, etc. without any luck so far. I think they are from the planet
Mars. They were not Catholic, at least in the 1850s to present. The
family moved to Lancashire, England right after the 1871 census and,
as far as I know, the descendants are still in England except the
descendants of my gr. grandfather and one of his siblings. All the
other siblings stayed in England through 1901, so far. I have to wait
for 1911 census to find out more on the family. I cannot get back
past 1851 Dublin, either. Truly a mess. I know a lot, yet I know
very little, if that makes sense to you. I have checked every Irish
link that has ever been suggested and I still come up empty. Oh, to
have early census records but I am only dreaming, I thoroughly
understand. I even checked early directories and did not find
anything that would fit my family. I even used Soundex and different
Added prefixes to the surname and I came away empty. You would think
cabinet maker would be easy to find. There were not that many with
that profession in the early directories.

Hugh Watkins

Jul 11, 2007, 5:30:17 AM7/11/07
Graham Coward wrote:
> On 10/07/2007 1:34 AM, Sue J wrote:
>
>> No, I am not volunteering. I have a very sick husband that I must
>> take care of. He is a military vet and the chemicals used in Viet Nam
>> era are catching up with him big time. He has already lost a leg.
>> Plus, I have my own disability to take care of. Just think what life
>> is going to be like when I hit 65 a few years from now.
>>
>> Sue
>

> Sorry Sue. No offence meant. :-)

I am 71 and lucky to be alive (eg german blitz missed me and my mother)

20 to 30 miutes a day transcribing is as effective as meditation for
calmingthe nerves and helping at least one stranger each day will make
your life more enjoyable

even with creaky old bones

Hugh Watkins

Jul 11, 2007, 5:32:21 AM7/11/07
Sherlock Holmes wrote:

to sound more english
quite a lot of ante irish and ante scottish feeling in mid nineteenth
centruy

Hugh Watkins

Jul 11, 2007, 5:38:30 AM7/11/07
Sue J wrote:

genesreunited may find living descendants if they are interested in
genealogy

I got lots of new cousins that way

and world connect too if you share your data people will find you

otherewise just use the certificate method of research
see http://www.genuki.org.uk/gs/Newbie.html and the rest of the web site

Sue J

Jul 11, 2007, 10:40:47 AM7/11/07
to gen...@rootsweb.com
Did I come across as being slightly anti-Irish or Scottish? I sure
didn't mean to.

Sue J

Jul 11, 2007, 10:40:47 AM7/11/07
to gen...@rootsweb.com
Hi Hugh,

I have had my lineage up on Genes Reunited for over a year and I used
to have my Gedcom up on Rootsweb and Ancestry Trees. I have gotten
some good matches with Genes but not for my DUFF lines. I have posted
many times to the Lancashire List and I have done Genealogy DNA. I am
trying to cover every base. I even have my gr. grandfather's
intention for citizenship when he came to the USA. He never became a
citizen. He died about a year shy of being eligible. He was only 28
years old when he died. The birth places for his parents on this
document are also just listed as Ireland. No help at all. :-(

Sue mac...@infionline.net

Hugh Watkins

Jul 11, 2007, 12:54:28 PM7/11/07

Rootsweb is like a message in a bottle
sometimes answers come years later

just maintain and update your prescence there
a collateral line may turn up any time or any year

regards

Hugh Watkins

Jul 11, 2007, 12:58:13 PM7/11/07
Sue J wrote:

I was talking about the nineteentrh century in England

Dublin was like Hong Kong founded by foreigners
and always with a strong english minded protestant land owning class
some of whom would have shared those views

O' or Mac may just have sounded old fashioned

Sue J

Jul 11, 2007, 2:30:35 PM7/11/07
to gen...@rootsweb.com
Yes, you are right. I have had that happen with other lines,
including posts I have made on Genforum. I am also on genealogy chat
every nite. You never know who you may run into there. We do get
chatters from Australia, NZ, England and Ireland. Those are people
who really can't sleep as it would be abt. 2 AM England time when we
are all in the room. I try to leave no door closed in my search for
this elusive family. Thanks from all the replies.

Sue mac...@infionline.net

Jaqian

Jul 12, 2007, 4:21:26 AM7/12/07
Sue,
re: "BURROWES, BURROWS, BURROUGHS"

Have you tried Ancestry.co.uk? Here is a list of names that start with
BURR if you look through them you will see the names you are looking
for. Hopfully they will be of some help.

Rob

Sue J

Jul 12, 2007, 10:35:54 AM7/12/07
to gen...@rootsweb.com
Hi Rob,

I have not checked on my gr. gr. grandmother that much. Shame on me.
I have been concentrating so much on my DUFF line that I have only
looked for Jane's father in the several directories on rootsweb and
Ancestry. As pointed out, the name can be spelt so many ways,
depending on the education, accent of person giving info, and actually
where the person was born that was taking down the info. Burroughs,
for example, is more of an English spelling than even the Burrowes and
Burrows. I don't think there is a clan for Burrowes as there is for
Duff, which I am a member of, but not getting much help with family.
Even DNA is not helping much at the moment. :-( Just tell my family
that it is ok to crawl out from under that rock. They have been there
long enough. :-)

Sue

Jul 31, 2007, 4:56:41 PM7/31/07
Some counties can be researched on the 1901 at
http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/index.shtml
areas of Sligo and, I think Galway are also included on this site. You can
search name and/or townland

Ron

oldiebutgoodie

Aug 6, 2007, 3:41:24 PM8/6/07
On Jul 31, 9:56 pm, "Ron O'Brien" <cast...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Some counties can be researched on the 1901 athttp://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/index.shtml

> areas of Sligo and, I think Galway are also included on this site. You can
> search name and/or townland
>
> Ron

Some years ago I computerised the 1901 and 1911 census returns for my
own area (Castlecomer Co. Kilkenny) - 5658 names in 1901, 5423 names
in 1911 and have indexed them by name. Have also computerised the RC
parish records for Castlecomer and Clogh parishes. Am currently
engaged in extending this to the neighbouring Ballyragget area (have
completed the RC records, am working on the 1901 census).
I have the results as Word-compatible documents and spreadsheets at
present, haven't got round to converting them to user friendly Web
format yet. If anyone has any queries re ancestors in this area of
North Kilkenny, please contact me and I'll search what I have.

Regards,
Tom.

KILA...@aol.com

Aug 6, 2007, 4:45:42 PM8/6/07
to gen...@rootsweb.com
Hi Tom, Would it be possible to check for Dollard or Dullard. I am looking
for Matthew or Daniel. They would have been from Glashare.

Thank you so much for your kindness in doing this lookup. I greatly
appreciate it.

Kathleen