macintosh and what is the best family tree progtreamme please

Hugh Watkins

Jul 12, 2006, 3:11:48 PM7/12/06

I am migrating to a laptop for a couple of months I will be without
my much loved family tree maker FTM 2006

what is best for MAC

any one using OS 10.xx?

thanks

Hugh W

--
new computer = new blog
http://mac-on-intel.blogspot.com/

daily blogs with new photos
http://snaps2006.blogspot.com/
http://slim2005.blogspot.com/

family history
http://hughw36.blogspot.com/

Hugh Watkins <hugh.w...@gmail.com>

Gerry

Jul 12, 2006, 4:19:59 PM7/12/06

> I am migrating to a laptop for a couple of months I will be without
> my much loved family tree maker FTM 2006
>
> what is best for MAC
>
> any one using OS 10.xx?
>
> thanks
>
> Hugh Watkins <hugh.w...@gmail.com>

Reunion from <http://www.leisterpro.com/> is an excellent program
that I have used for many years. I'm currently running it on my G4
PowerBook running OS 10.4.7. They have versions that will run on
earlier operating systems as well.

Mike Mallett

Jul 12, 2006, 4:45:23 PM7/12/06
Have a look at Virtual PC which enables you to run Windows software on a
Mac.
As it is an emulator there is a noticeable reduction in speed but FTM seems
to run well on a PB G4/500

Not the cheapest solution but it means you can use the same data and don't
have to learn another program -
and you can run other Windows stuff if you must

Reunion is meant to be one of the better programs for the Mac but the
interface is quite different from FTM.
I recall there is a trial version that you can download from their website.

Hugh Watkins

Jul 13, 2006, 7:51:24 AM7/13/06
mine is Mac on Ingeldual chip and does not have virtual pc yet

Hugh W

Jim Jaeger

Jul 13, 2006, 10:06:19 AM7/13/06

> I am migrating to a laptop for a couple of months I will be without
> my much loved family tree maker FTM 2006
>
> what is best for MAC
>
> any one using OS 10.xx?
>
> Hugh Watkins <hugh.w...@gmail.com>

My wife has tried most of the available Mac (not "MAC", please)
genealogy programs. She uses Reunion.

Mac OS X v10.4.7 on iMac G5 and iBook G3, v10.4.6 on iMac G4.

jim

Jim Jaeger <bo...@example.com>

Tehenne

Jul 13, 2006, 10:07:53 AM7/13/06

> I am migrating to a laptop for a couple of months I will be without
> my much loved family tree maker FTM 2006
> =

> what is best for MAC

> =

> any one using OS 10.xx?

> =

> Hugh W

ohmiGene

ohmiGene is complete software (Donateware) for the creation and the
management of genealogical data, susceptible to work on MacOS X,
Windows and Linux (with the same database).

<http://www.nauze.com/ohmiGene/indexEN.html>

For information: ohmiGene is certainly software, using a database,
which handle best the gedcom format.

=

-- =

T=C3=A9henne Saint-Denis de la R=C3=A9union

Comparatif Import-Export Gedcom : http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cajun/
Logiciel de g=C3=A9n=C3=A9alogie ohmiGene : http://www.nauze.com/

teh...@nauze.com (Tehenne)

Hugh Watkins

Jul 13, 2006, 10:12:53 AM7/13/06

thank you all

I will get reunion later today

I am having trouble with aol imap on the mac
can receive but not send
nor find out how to edit smtp port data

"mail" seems poor

and MS Office teachers was a good buy on amazon.co.uk 100 for 3
licenses but that version of Outlook doesn't send either

in WinXp MS OE keeps on trucking with imap

usenet I use news international server and I have set that up in
Mozilla suite on the mac

remember when it used to take 2 to 4 hours to ftp netscape for the
mac from a university site :-)
no so many minutes with broadband

those were the days
when the tele company rebooted their server at 6;00 am 10 minutes before
the download was finiahed - and NO resume

my telephone bill was astronomical

Hugh W

--

new computer = new blog
http://mac-on-intel.blogspot.com/

family history
http://hughw36.blogspot.com

Hugh Watkins <hugh.w...@gmail.com>

Hugh Watkins

Jul 13, 2006, 10:15:55 AM7/13/06

> > I am migrating to a laptop for a couple of months I will be without
> > my much loved family tree maker FTM 2006
> >
> > what is best for MAC
> >
> > any one using OS 10.xx?
> >
> > Hugh Watkins <hugh.w...@gmail.com>
>
> Reunion from <http://www.leisterpro.com/> is an excellent program
> that I have used for many years. I'm currently running it on my G4
> PowerBook running OS 10.4.7. They have versions that will run on
> earlier operating systems as well.
>
> Gerry

thank you Gerry

I got Heridis in the shop
but it does not look good for my style of working with extensive notes

regards

Dave Hinz

Jul 13, 2006, 10:58:11 AM7/13/06
On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 20:45:23 +0000 (UTC), "Mike Mallett" <mm-l...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Have a look at Virtual PC which enables you to run Windows software on a
> Mac.
> As it is an emulator there is a noticeable reduction in speed but FTM seems
> to run well on a PB G4/500

Running Windows on a Mac so you can run FTM seems like a lot of effort
to saddle yourself with two inferior products and a performance hit.

> Not the cheapest solution but it means you can use the same data

Reunion is happy to import data exported by FTM.

> and don't
> have to learn another program -
> and you can run other Windows stuff if you must

Well, for that matter, if he buys an Intel mac, he can use "Boot Camp"
and run Windows natively on the hardware. But, unless you absolutely
have to, it's an inferior solution to running Reunion. It's really,
really, good. Seeing it is what finally got me to switch over to Mac,
in fact.

> Reunion is meant to be one of the better programs for the Mac but the
> interface is quite different from FTM.

It sure is. Completely intuitive, while still giving tons of options.

Steve W. Jackson

Jul 13, 2006, 1:21:47 PM7/13/06
In article <00b301c6a5f4$10f60640$0300a8c0@piii>,

mm-l...@ntlworld.com ("Mike Mallett") wrote:

> Have a look at Virtual PC which enables you to run Windows software on a
> Mac.
> As it is an emulator there is a noticeable reduction in speed but FTM seems
> to run well on a PB G4/500
>
> Not the cheapest solution but it means you can use the same data and don't
> have to learn another program -
> and you can run other Windows stuff if you must
>
> Reunion is meant to be one of the better programs for the Mac but the
> interface is quite different from FTM.
> I recall there is a trial version that you can download from their website.

Top-posting sucks!

Recommending Virtual PC may not be such a good idea. There seems to be
a problem with it in the most recent Mac OS X.
--
Steve W. Jackson
Montgomery, Alabama

Mike Mallett

Jul 13, 2006, 3:42:38 PM7/13/06

I had hoped not to get sucked into another top v bottom debate that seems to
exist on many lists
:-)

I agree Virtual PC is a not great solution as it seems to run at what I
reckon is about 10-20% of the Mac's clock speed
I went along this route as I already had FTM, it isn't particularly
demanding and was for occasional laptop use. Some other Windows software I
tried does struggle !

Mike

Mike Mallett

Jul 13, 2006, 3:47:19 PM7/13/06

I agree about the performance hit !

I made this on suggestion because I assume he already FTM and didn't want to
learn another program

I've just looked at the curent pricing of Virtual PC with Windows and this
is around GBP200 in the UK
Which would make it less viable. Reunion is about GBP60 here

> > Not the cheapest solution but it means you can use the same data
>
> Reunion is happy to import data exported by FTM.

Does this means actual FTW files or just GEDCIOM ?

Steve W. Jackson

Jul 13, 2006, 4:11:00 PM7/13/06
In article <00de01c6a6b4$70632e30$0300a8c0@piii>,

My response wasn't about performance. It's my understanding that VPC
may not run on recent versions of Mac OS X.

Mike Mallett

Jul 13, 2006, 6:00:32 PM7/13/06

> > I agree Virtual PC is a not great solution as it seems to
> run at what
> > I reckon is about 10-20% of the Mac's clock speed I went along this
> > route as I already had FTM, it isn't particularly demanding and was
> > for occasional laptop use. Some other Windows software I tried does
> > struggle !
> >

> > Mike
>
> My response wasn't about performance. It's my understanding
> that VPC may not run on recent versions of Mac OS X.
> --
> Steve W. Jackson
> Montgomery, Alabama

I'm not a Mac expert but I think it is the CPU rather than the OS that is
the problem.
Intel based Macs can't run VPC but of course you can use Bootcamp to run
Windows

For the Powermacs you'd need a fairly fast G4 or G5 to run VPC + XP

The more we look at this Reunion seems the best option ....

Steve W. Jackson

Jul 13, 2006, 6:46:59 PM7/13/06
In article <010001c6a6c7$bd2a3340$0300a8c0@piii>,

mm-l...@ntlworld.com ("Mike Mallett") wrote:

A quick visit to the M$ site confirms that VPC 7 does run on PPC Macs
but not the new Intel-based Macs. I thought I recalled that it didn't
run on Mac OS X 10.4 at all, but either I was mistaken or that problem
has been resolved.

Even so, I will *never* recommend any solution (i.e., Boot Camp) that
requires running Windows instead of Mac OS X. And I will also *never*
recommend any Windows solution for genealogy software when Reunion is an
outstanding solution which is sufficient to warrant the purchase of a
new Mac all by itself.

= Steve =

Hugh Watkins

Jul 14, 2006, 2:52:24 AM7/14/06

I agree the mac v pc shootout has been going on for at least 10 years
for the last nine years it has been *BORING*

they are both turing maschines and are essentailly identical - merely
the interface is different

computers are tools and neither pets nor religions

as soon as I can afford it I will buy a modern PC and run the mac OS
and the Win Vista OS hand in hand

I am still adjusting to the move from OS 6 to 9 to OS 10
and I *was* a power user
but I have not started customising yet (eg hierarchical apple menu)
because I want to learn what is new in the GUI

I was reluctant to start this thread because it could easily degenerate
into the sillies

sorry about that

haven't downloaded reunion yet
did a snaps one blog Rubn Rabbit Run
on the mac using firefox instead after an evening walk

I have acouple of wills to collect this morning
then I will scan and upload them

Hugh Watkins

Jul 15, 2006, 5:48:20 PM7/15/06
I am learning a lot these days

Mac OS 10.4

knocks out several apps

Norton Internt Security 3.0* even after updating is not useable and
will not be supprted according to the web site
and has been put back in the box and will go back to the shop
(like the mighty mouse which was too small for my big hands - already
returned)

Virtual PC is not available for OS 10.4

Remote Desk Top connection Mac >> PC worked once and died
lotta complaints on the NG

the one time it worked I ould open FTM 2006 in a window on the intel
dual processor mac

WHAT IS NEWS THO !!!!

Parallels Desktop for the intel powered Mac

according to UK MacUser fater and better than bootcamp
I installed the Win XP version

and got as far a virtual bios console

black screen

I put in my WinXP install from 2002

got the blue screen pre install loading drivers

then it hung

GOTCHA no 1

uninstall the Norton Virus checker to free up the dvdd drive

GOTCHA no 2

it said my WinXP CD was an updater not an installer
and I must insert anothe Win 98 or whatever cd first

MS has not printed upadate anywhere on the package

so my old cCDs are deep packed in attic boxes !!'

see http://www.parallels.com/

Parallels Desktop for Mac is the first solution that gives Apple users
the ability to run Windows alongside Mac OS X in a secure, isolated
virtual machine. Parallels Desktop works with any Intel-powered Apple,
including iMac, Mac Mini, MacBook and MacBook Pro.

* Limited time offer! Buy through 15th of July for only $49.99 and get
$30 OFF!

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/

serious vooddoo

* un any OS at the Same Time as Mac OS X
Use any version of Windows (3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, Me, 2000, NT, XP,
2003), any Linux distribution, FreeBSD, Solaris, OS/2, eComStation, or
MS-DOS in secure virtual machines running alongside – not instead of -
Mac OS X.

* Build virtual machines that work exactly like stand-alone Windows
computers
Use applications, access the internet, and work with any piece of
hardware just like you would on a real computer, without the hassle of
shutting down or booting up OSes or switching between terminals.

* Easily share files and folders between Windows and Mac OS X
Using the Parallels Shared Folders tool, you can easily share
documents and folders, or cut and paste data, between any Windows XP,
2003 or 2000 virtual machine and your Mac OS X machine. No networking or
complicated set up required!

now I just happened to have an old Red hat Linux 6.1
boxed set a teachers show freebie !!!

so this old mac on intel will be triple boot within a month

Hugh W

PS Trevor Rix emailed me off list and posted Reunion tome on Saturday
from TWRComputing

Chris Smolinski

Jul 20, 2006, 10:21:11 AM7/20/06

I use GEDitCOM. It works very well under OS X.

--
Chris Smolinski
Black Cat Systems

Chris Smolinski <c...@blackcatsystems.com>

Hugh Watkins

Jul 23, 2006, 3:26:04 PM7/23/06

> I use GEDitCOM. It works very well under OS X.
>
> Chris Smolinski <c...@blackcatsystems.com>

I am really unhappy with Reunion

it does not read well on the big screen
and the fonts do not auto adjust like FTM 2006 when you resize a window

the family view is poor except for the parent buttons

no marriages and no details of children

some windows have one fixed size TOO SMALL
as if designed to be printed out to make a card index

no hyperlinks in trees . .

as soon as I get WinXp SP 2 running on the Mac I will return to FTM 2006

Hugh Watkins

Jul 23, 2006, 3:32:57 PM7/23/06

> I use GEDitCOM. It works very well under OS X.
>
> Chris Smolinski <c...@blackcatsystems.com>

thanks had a look

hugh W