File Structures for PAF and GEDCOM

Coherent Software

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96
lawr...@crl.com (J Dennis Lawrence) wrote:

>Does anyone know how I can obtain the file structures for PAF files and
>GEDCOM files? I want to write a program to extract certain records from
>a PAF database and place them in GEDCOM files?

The GEDCOM standard is available via ftp at

ftp://ftp.gedcom.org/pub/genealogy/gedcom/

There are files in this directory in WordPerfect and Postscript
formats.

The last official revision of GEDCOM was version 4.2, but that is now
several years old. There have been a series of drafts, versions 5.0
to 5.4, circulating over the past couple of years. I heard on the
GEDCOM-L mailing list last week that version 5.5 has just been
released. This version is supposedly very close to becoming the next
official revision. Last I heard, version 5.5 had not shown up on the
FTP site.

Version 5.4 would be fine to give you the basic philosophy and
structure of GEDCOM, but I you suggest you check the FTP site in a few
weeks for version 5.5 as well.

Hope this helps.

Paul Foxworthy
Coherent Software - creators of Kith&Kin and Kith&Kin Publisher,
complete software for family history researchers.
Coherent Publishing - Charts, books and hypertext of your family.
Ask about our new book "Genealogy on the Internet".
PO Box 201, SOUTHLAND CENTRE VIC 3192, Australia
Phone/Fax: +61 3 9583 8245 Web: http://www.cohsoft.com.au/