australian-ancestry.com Site Access

The Doctor

Feb 4, 2008, 5:09:52 PM2/4/08
Does anyone have an understanding of access to www.australian-ancestry.com?

Having just paid for:
Get LIFETIME Unlimited database access for only $99.99 AU $44.99 (best
offer!)
I want to extend my membership to Unlimited State and Federal Records for
only AU $17.99
Get access to our resources directory for only $12.99 search more than 3000
databases around the world

I expected to be able to access databases on the site, but now find that I
will have to purchase search credits on an ongoing basis. Is that correct or
did I miss something?

Andrea Roberts

Feb 4, 2008, 5:30:55 PM2/4/08
to GENA...@rootsweb.com
Hi Doc,

At 09:09 AM 5/02/2008, you wrote:

>Does anyone have an understanding of access to www.australian-ancestry.com?
>
>Having just paid for:
>Get LIFETIME Unlimited database access for only $99.99 AU $44.99 (best
>offer!)

>I expected to be able to access databases on the site, but now find that I

>will have to purchase search credits on an ongoing basis. Is that correct or
>did I miss something

Think I would be asking for a refund under their money back guarantee!!!!

There is nothing on the home page to say that there are more payments
required - it seems to be false advertising, in fact it does say -

>One-time charge with no additional costs
>All prices shown on this page will be processed as a one-time charge
>with no additional cost. You will never re-billed again.

They don't seem to be connected with Ancestry.com - its a wonder that
Ancestry haven't been onto them to alter their name ! Every page
takes you to the joining page. It looks like a bit of a rip off to
me - could be wrong though.

Cheers
Angie

Andrea Roberts....in Melbourne, Australia.

Michael Lightfoot

Feb 4, 2008, 5:42:23 PM2/4/08
to gena...@rootsweb.com

Andrea Roberts wrote:
> Hi Doc,
> At 09:09 AM 5/02/2008, you wrote:
>
>>Does anyone have an understanding of access to
>> www.australian-ancestry.com?
>>
>>Having just paid for:
>>Get LIFETIME Unlimited database access for only $99.99 AU $44.99 (best
>>offer!)

I smell scam. Here is the domain registration for this bunch of suspect
Canadians:

Registrars.Registrant:
6684874 Canada Inc.
PO Box 178
St-Laurent, Quebec H4L 4V5
CA

Domain name: AUSTRALIAN-ANCESTRY.COM

Administrative Contact:
dns, admin admi...@interactivebrands.com
PO Box 178
St-Laurent, Quebec H4L 4V5
CA
514-733-2556 Fax: 514-733-2533

Technical Contact:
dns, admin admi...@interactivebrands.com
PO Box 178
St-Laurent, Quebec H4L 4V5
CA
514-733-2556 Fax: 514-733-2533

The registrar is TUCOWS Inc. if you want to lodge a complaint.

--
====
Michael Lightfoot

Paul Blair

Feb 4, 2008, 6:52:21 PM2/4/08

Hmmm, Michael, have we not seen this mob before? Same sort of approach?

Paul

MargM

Feb 4, 2008, 6:57:37 PM2/4/08

"The Doctor" <tar...@deep.space.inv> wrote in message
I think you did............. This site has NOTHING to do with
www.ancestry.com.au

I came across it a couple of months ago as
http://www.australian-records.com:80/

Are a few of these around ............ See copy of a post from Dec
2007

"mkennedy" <marg...@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

Feb 4, 2008, 7:40:04 PM2/4/08
to gen...@rootsweb.com

MargM wrote:

> "The Doctor" <tar...@deep.space.inv> wrote in message
>> Does anyone have an understanding of access to
>> www.australian-ancestry.com?
>>
>> Having just paid for:
>> Get LIFETIME Unlimited database access for only $99.99 AU $44.99
>> (best offer!)

> I think you did............. This site has NOTHING to do with

> www.ancestry.com.au
>
> I came across it a couple of months ago as
> http://www.australian-records.com:80/
>

> Are a few of these around ............ See copy of a post from Dec
> 2007

(...)

> http://freerecordsregistry.com/

I think we can be pretty well sure these sites are scams. It appears that
anyone who has paid up has been a victim of the Russian Mafia.

The only sites that we can be sure have real records are the Ancestry
ones, Find My Past, Genes Reunited, Official Government Sites, etc.

Please everybody, don't pay up for access to unknown websites promising
the world. It will most probably only ned in tears (and another expensive
limo for some Russian Mafia boss...)

Hugh Watkins

Feb 5, 2008, 2:19:48 AM2/5/08

if something is too good to be true on the net
it is usually a scam

from "about us" see

Records Partner - The Best background-check affiliate system
Get an Amazing Commission of $24.50 / Sale + BONUS. Why are we paying so
much? We want you to test your traffic on our site – so that you can see
how much ...
www.recordspartner.com/

many of these sites charge you for linking to public free sites

NEVER EVER subscribe to a site which has no snail mail office address

sorry about that

Hugh W

Joe Flood

Mar 28, 2008, 11:51:08 PM3/28/08
While the snail mail address doesnt bother me much, I never ever have
anything to do with sites which

- do not specify exactly which databases they have, covering what
years, States etc
- do not have any kind of query or help (or the help is purely
automated, or available only once you have paid)
- do not have an obvious way of unsubscribing. Once they get your
credit card number, they can charge you whatever they like whenever
they like.

Im surprised that the Fraud Squad and Business Affairs are not a lot
more active dealing with ripoffs such as gov-reports.net or Australian-
ancestry.com but for some unknown reason they seem to think the
internet is open slather and do not seem to be devoting any resources
at all.

Joe Flood

MargM

Mar 29, 2008, 12:34:29 AM3/29/08

"Joe Flood" <joef...@bigpond.com> wrote in message
Hi Joe

This site has got a few mentions on this newsgroup before . It a
Canadian site giving a vague appearance of being local . Looks very
shonky to me !

Bye

--
MargM
Beautiful Wyong Shire

Doug Laidlaw

Mar 29, 2008, 5:45:21 AM3/29/08
MargM wrote:

I went to one recently offering any certificates from Australia, including
ones officially unavailable. When I went to the pull-down menu of States,
the States in the list were U.S. ones! Useless.

Doug.