Letter from Dr. Nguyen Dan Que in Saigon, Vietnam

hailua

May 14, 2007, 3:38:31 PM5/14/07
On the 13th Commemoration of Vietnam Human Rights Day, May 11, 2007
Saigon, May 11, 2007
Ladies and Gentlemen:
I regret that my circumstances prevent me from personally attending
the 13th commemoration of Vietnam Human Rights Day. Regardless of
extensive surveillance and restrictions, I would like to share with
you the following:
After joining the World Trade Organization (WTO) the politburo of the
Vietnamese Communist Party (VCP) reverted to their duplicitous nature:
Not only did they ignore the commitments on improvements of human
rights, reached with the United States and the world community for
WTO, but they brutally carried out one of the most extensive crackdown
on people who advocate respect for human rights, democracy, and
freedom. Examples include the arrest and trial of Father Nguyen Van
Ly, a Catholic priest, in a sham procedure and sentenced him to 8
years of imprisonment and 5 years of house arrest. Especially
egregious was the physical muzzling of Father Ly right in the
courtroom and in front of international media. That barbaric act has
caused consternation everywhere and it is the most eloquent indictment
of the Hanoi dictatorship.
In addition, the world witnessed Hanoi's use of violent thugs to
prevent the wives of some dissidents from meeting with the U.S.
Ambassador to Vietnam, in front of his residence as witnessed by U.S.
Representative Loretta Sanchez of California. Furthermore, not only
did the communist regime renege on the release of journalist Nguyen Vu
Binh, as promised the U.S. Secretary of State prior to the APEC forum
in Hanoi in November 2006, but they arrested attorneys Le Quoc Quan
and Nguyen Thi Thuy Trang, writer Tran Khai Thanh Thuy. They also
announced the plan to bring to trial 6 other dissidents this month:
Doctor Le Nguyen Sang, reporter Huynh Nguyen Dao, and attorney Nguyen
Bac Truyen on May 10; attorneys Nguyen Van Dai and Le Thi Cong Nhan on
May 11; and attorney Tran Quoc Hien on May 15. These are the young
activists who are patriotic and willing to fight for a peaceful,
democratic, and prosperous Vietnam. They must be glorified instead of
being persecuted.
I am earnestly calling on every Vietnamese, in country and overseas,
to join with the world community to condemn the ruthless and
uncivilized behavior of the Vietnamese communists. We have to tell the
VCP's politburo that the Vietnamese people are determined to dissolve
the one-party communist dictatorship, including the so-called National
Assembly, to be elected on May 20, 2007.
In these trying times, I solemnly proclaim to the Vietnamese people
and the world citizens that:
1. The process of democratization is the aspiration of every
Vietnamese. Democratization is inevitable after Vietnam's accession to
the WTO; it can not be reversed by any powers or forces, including the
evil communists.
2. Freedom and democracy are not empty slogans but essential
ingredients of a life with dignity for an individual in the world
today. For that very reason, the Vietnamese people must accept
sacrifices to fight for their rights; no one can grant them to
anybody. We, inside Vietnam, pledge to continue the struggle under the
banner of Freedom and Democracy, regardless of dangers, until the
final victory of freedom.
I wish you a successful ceremony on Vietnam Human Rights Day.
On this occasion, I also wish to express our appreciation to the
senators and representatives of the U.S. Congress, international human
rights organizations, the U.S. government and the American people who
have supported the peaceful struggle for freedom and democracy of the
Vietnamese people. Lastly, I congratulate "Rallying for Democracy"
Radio for its timely contribution to raise the voice of the people in
the process of dismantling the communist dictatorship and rebuilding a
more humane Vietnam.
Respectfully yours,
Dr. Nguyen Dan Que
Cao Trao Nhan Ban, Vietnam