Talabani to Turks: “Kurdistan” is official in both Iraq and Iran and used to be official in Ottoman Empire

1 view

REAL

Mar 11, 2002, 2:24:14 AM3/11/02
Talabani to Turks: “Kurdistan” is official in both Iraq and Iran and
used to be official in Ottoman Empire

10/03/2002 KurdishMedia.com
http://www.kurdmedia.com/news.asp?id=2432

London (KurdishMedia.com) 10 March 2002: While in Ankara Talabni said
that he is not sure about the second leg of his trip, which should
have taken place in Washington, discussing Kurdistani and Iraqi
situation in the US officials.

The Patriotic Union of Kurdistan General Secretary, Jalal Talabani,
skilfully has managed to handle the Turks for not bowing of their
pressure, in their country, under controversial questioning. Perhaps,
this is one of the best diplomatic appearances of any Kurdish leader
on these controversial issues in Turkey.

Talabani has stood against Turkish interference in Iraq, by saying
that Turkish interference in Iraq would bring chaos.

While was asked about the work “Kurdistan”, Talabani said that the
word "Kurdistan" is official in both in Iraq and Iran.

Talabani has gone even further and challenged the Turks. “[The work
"Kurdistan"] used to be official during the time of the Ottoman
Empire. There is a list of the deputies on the wall of the old
building of the Turkish Grand National Assembly, and there is a
reference to deputies from Kurdistan even on that wall," Talabani told
TDN.

WolfWolf

Mar 11, 2002, 3:58:10 AM3/11/02
According to a comprehensive and seemingly the most objective survey
supported by the Ford Foundation, in 1990 Kurdish population in Turkey was
7,046,150 and their percentage was 12.6.

The only state Kurds ever had was the Kurdish Republic in Mahabad founded in
1946 and lasted only for one year. The Republic was formed under the Soviet
influence and not supported by Kurdish tribes in Iran. It was destroyed
easily by the Teheran government since Soviet influence ceased to exist.

Social realities compel people of Kurdish descent to share the common
destiny of Turkey. Therefore, they should not be expected to sympathize with
a separate Kurdish state or political entity.

REAL

Mar 11, 2002, 4:23:42 AM3/11/02
Please note that the subject line has been changed back to the original. The
WolfWolf troll attempted to omit the facts that he did not want to be repeated.

WolfWolf wrote:

> According to a comprehensive and seemingly the most objective survey
> supported by the Ford Foundation, in 1990 Kurdish population in Turkey was
> 7,046,150 and their percentage was 12.6.

I do not care what your Ford Foundation said in 1990. I care about more recent,
verifiable sources of information such as shown below:

Ethnic groups: Turkish 80%, Kurdish 20%
Religions: Muslim 99.8% (mostly Sunni), other 0.2% (Christian and Jews)
Languages: Turkish (official), Kurdish, Arabic, Armenian, Greek
Literacy: definition: age 15 and over can read and write
total population: 85%

http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/tu.html.

> Social realities compel people of Kurdish descent to share the common
> destiny of Turkey. Therefore, they should not be expected to sympathize with
> a separate Kurdish state or political entity.

Those of Kurdish decent have the right to choose their own destiny. NOT what
fascists like you wish their destiny to be.

Turkey human rights and the Kurds
KurdishMedia.com - By Dr David Morgan 08 March 2002

Submission to the 58th Session of the Commission on Human Rights at the United
National Office at Geneva
18 March - 26 April 2002

Report available at

http://www.kurdmedia.com/reports.asp?id=793

Also those of Kurdish descent have the right to be free of Turkish opression.
The ilk of WolfWolf are something to fight against no-matter what decent you are
because the ilk of WolfWolf are none other than intolerant racists whose
outdated Grey Wolf terrorist ideology belongs in Hitlers Germany.

Look at the news you troll, All in the past few days. This is your Turkey.

Director slams Turkish film ban
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/film/newsid_1858000/1858213.stm

Kurdish writer faces prison term
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/film/newsid_1854000/1854507.stm

Turkey Claims Name Violations

The Associated Press, Mon 4 Mar 2002

http://www.worldnews.com/?t=print1.txt&action=display&article=12283823

ISTANBUL, Turkey (AP) Seven families have been charged with breaking
Turkish law by giving their children traditional Kurdish names,
officials said Monday.

The law involved says parents cannot give children names that ``do not
fit our national culture, ethical laws, norms and traditions.'' The
government limits cultural expression among Turkey's 12 million Kurds,
saying it could lead to the country's breakup.

Prosecutors in the town of Dicle in the largely Kurdish southeast
charged seven families who gave 21 children names such as Serhat,
Baran, Rojda and Zelal, a court official said on condition of
anonymity.

An indictment, filed in December and just made public, says the rebel
Kurdistan Workers Party, or PKK, uses these names as code names for
its members and demanded that the families rename their children. They
could be fined for refusing.

The government has drawn up a list of banned Kurdish names, and has
ordered local officials to curb the use of Kurdish place names. Kurds
often complain that Turkish authorities in the southeast change
Kurdish names for Turkish ones when issuing birth certificates for
Kurdish babies.

Some of the names listed in the indictment, such as Serhat and Baran,
are common in Turkey and are used by Turks as well as Kurds.

Turkey fought a 15-year war against the autonomy-seeking PKK. The
fighting has slowed since the rebels declared a unilateral cease-fire
in 1999, but sporadic clashes continue. The conflict has left 37,000
dead since 1984.

Kurdish leaders have been pressing for the right to education in the
Kurdish language which is banned in classrooms because the group is
not considered an official minority. Police have detained thousands of
people for submitting petitions demanding classes in Kurdish in recent
months. Most were later released.

Turkey says the demands are part of a PKK-orchestrated campaign. The
European Union says Turkey must allow education in Kurdish if it is to
join the 15-nation bloc.

Prosecutors charge groom with propaganda for Kurdish love poem

http://www.turkishdailynews.com/FrTDN/latest/dom.htm#d5

Turkish prosecutors have charged a primary school teacher with
spreading terrorist propaganda for putting a Kurdish-language love
poem on his wedding invitation, a newspaper reported.

Recep Simsek, who teaches at a school near Diyarbakir, the largest
city in the southeast Anatolia, faces up to five years in prison if
convicted. The daily Radikal said he has denied the charges.

It is not illegal to publish in Kurdish, but prosecutors claim Simsek
was part of a terrorist campaign to broaden the use of the language,
Radikal said.

Authorities claim Kurdish terrorists are behind a petition campaign in
support of the Kurdish language and have detained thousands of people
in recent months for submitting petitions.

Turkey fears Kurdish education could divide the country. Turkey has
been criticized abroad for its strict anti-sedition and anti-terrorism
laws and urged to grant greater cultural rights for Turkey's 12
million Kurds, including the right to Kurdish-language broadcasting
and education.

The outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party or PKK, which waged a 15-year war
for regional autonomy in the southeast, announced earlier this year
that it was changing its name and launching a peaceful campaign for
Kurdish rights.

In Istanbul Thursday, dozens of university students who were expelled
for signing Kurdish education petitions threatened to take their case
to the European Court of Human Rights.

In the last three months, 30 students have been expelled, 86
suspended, and 44 have had scholarships rescinded, the independent
Human Rights Association said in a statement.

Ankara - Turkish Daily News with the AP

WolfWolf

Mar 11, 2002, 5:19:00 AM3/11/02
ANKARA WARNS TALABANI OF PKK'S ULTERIOR MOTIVES

This week Ankara reacted swiftly to make Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK)
leader Jalal Talabani reconsider his recent statement arguing that the
terrorist group PKK was preparing to dissolve and then reform itself into a
political movement. Talabani, who recently visited Ankara, claimed that the
PKK was preparing to change its program and disband its armed militant
groups. He also asserted that the terrorist organization would no longer
pose a threat to Turkey. However, Ankara conveyed to Talabani the message
that the PKK's recent efforts should be considered a tactical front to
conceal its actual goals and that the PUK must continue to fight those
terrorists in northern Iraq. "Initially, Talabani had indicated in his
remarks that the PUK would support the PKK's recent so-called politicization
efforts," said a high-level Turkish official. "However, he changed his
statement after Ankara warned him of the PKK's ulterior motives." In the
end, Talabani gave his assurances to Turkish officials that the PUK would
continue to fight against the PKK in northern Iraq.
Cumhuriyet
07/03/2002

sirkn...@prodigy.net

Mar 12, 2002, 2:39:31 AM3/12/02
That is hogwash. An independant Kurdistan was about to be created by Kurdish
freedom fighters in 1922 but the new state failed to achive teh recognition of
the imperialistic colonial powers occupying the former Ottoman territories after
world war I. The league of nations being pretty much run by the UK and France
also failed to give recognition, because such a state would create instability
in the area and compromise the political boundaries that British and French
interests created.