Bangkok coup who and why - some gossip

Vagabond

Sep 19, 2006, 2:13:43 PM9/19/06
A week ago a friend of mine was told that a coup would take place while
Thaksin was in New York. The source who said this was in very high
circles. My friend did not believe it, but it has happened as he was
told.

Here is what I have heard:

The coup is how the elite in Thailand has decided to solve the
political crisis. There is a consensus about this coup among those who
really count. Therefore there will not be any unrest (the grass roots
who voted for Thaksin don't matter).

Why would Thaksin risk leaving the county for so long (Cuba, New York)
in this delicate situation? Because he was told his time was over. This
was his opportunity to escape and save face.

Thaksin knew the coup would take place and left Thailand with his
family.

The king will appoint a new civilian interim prime minister shortly.
The new interim prime minister will continue reform of the
constitution. There will not be another election this year. An election
will be held in a year or so.

This is the master plan, according to soi gossip.

Galoubet

Sep 19, 2006, 2:31:37 PM9/19/06
On 19 Sep 2006 11:13:43 -0700, "Vagabond" <retor...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Why would Thaksin risk leaving the county for so long (Cuba, New York)
>in this delicate situation? Because he was told his time was over. This
>was his opportunity to escape and save face.
>
>Thaksin knew the coup would take place and left Thailand with his
>family.

Interesting gossip, thank you.

I wonder if we could offer the same "deal" to Mr Blair?

Galoubet

Takin Gthepiss

Sep 19, 2006, 2:48:30 PM9/19/06

"Galoubet" <galo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

**How about offering the same 'deal' to the Khorat Turd?

> Galoubet

Sandy Cruden

Sep 19, 2006, 3:18:26 PM9/19/06

Vagabond wrote:

> Thaksin knew the coup would take place and left Thailand with his
> family.
>
> The king will appoint a new civilian interim prime minister shortly.
> The new interim prime minister will continue reform of the
> constitution. There will not be another election this year. An election
> will be held in a year or so.
>
> This is the master plan, according to soi gossip.

There seems little doubt that this has been a carefully planned coup to
get rid of Thaksin and that at some stage in the last few days he was
presented with a fait accompli and a way out to save his square face.

Gossip tonight at impromptu get togethers in our soi says that the
interim PM will most likely be Khun Akaraathon Chularat head of the
administrative court,

Chabon 19

Sep 19, 2006, 3:23:17 PM9/19/06

Lets hope so, anybody besides the mah riam deserves a chance

Tommy

Sep 19, 2006, 3:24:57 PM9/19/06
Was Gen Sonthi Boonyarataglin Mr.Taksin class mate?

"Vagabond" <retor...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Galoubet

Sep 19, 2006, 3:40:43 PM9/19/06
On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 19:48:30 +0100, "Takin Gthepiss"
<ta...@kanoknuan-bj.org> wrote:

>**How about offering the same 'deal' to the Khorat Turd?

Thank you for your valued commentary. So refreshing.

Galoubet

Galoubet

Sep 19, 2006, 3:51:48 PM9/19/06
On 19 Sep 2006 12:18:26 -0700, "Sandy Cruden" <sandy...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>There seems little doubt that this has been a carefully planned coup to
>get rid of Thaksin and that at some stage in the last few days he was
>presented with a fait accompli and a way out to save his square face.
>
>Gossip tonight at impromptu get togethers in our soi says that the
>interim PM will most likely be Khun Akaraathon Chularat head of the
>administrative court,

I've always been against coups, as they are normally executed by
mindless army generals bent only on their own selfish agenda.

I may be about to change my mind.

(Get some sleep, Sandy)

Galoubet

Nick

Sep 19, 2006, 3:51:28 PM9/19/06
"Chabon 19" <chab...@gmail.com> wrote in

I just saw on German television (ZDF) textpages that General Surayudh was
appointed as chief of the government, apparently he's a confidant of the
King.
http://www.zdf.de/ZDFtext/master.html
I'm wondering if it's the same man that's mentioned in this article:
http://www-cgi.cnn.com/ASIANOW/asiaweek/magazine/99/1119/nat.thai.army.html

Nick

Takin Gthepiss

Sep 19, 2006, 5:16:46 PM9/19/06

"Galoubet" <galo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

**My pleasure! And thank YOU for your valued commentary re Tony Blair. ;-)

> Galoubet

Tchiowa

Sep 19, 2006, 6:49:33 PM9/19/06

Vagabond wrote:
> A week ago a friend of mine was told that a coup would take place while
> Thaksin was in New York. The source who said this was in very high
> circles. My friend did not believe it, but it has happened as he was
> told.
>
> Here is what I have heard:
>
> The coup is how the elite in Thailand has decided to solve the
> political crisis. There is a consensus about this coup among those who
> really count. Therefore there will not be any unrest (the grass roots
> who voted for Thaksin don't matter).

For once we agree. This is what is happening.

Noi

Sep 19, 2006, 10:49:09 PM9/19/06

Khun Vagabond,

Thank you for a very insightful information and probably the most
likely scenario.

As I always maintain that the few elitists rearrranging chairs on the
deck and basically taking turn stuffing their pockets. And as usual
the poor and the middle class people got shafted!

Noi

n_cram...@pacbell.net

Sep 19, 2006, 11:01:42 PM9/19/06
"Noi" <taw...@aol.com> wrote:
> Vagabond wrote:
[ . . . ]

> Khun Vagabond,
>
> Thank you for a very insightful information and probably the most
> likely scenario.
>
> As I always maintain that the few elitists rearrranging chairs on the
> deck and basically taking turn stuffing their pockets. And as usual
> the poor and the middle class people got shafted!

Nong Noi,

I just talked to Jun. She's up in Wichian Buri, Petchabun. She said it
won't effect regular people. She's been through these coups since the late
1940's. Of course, I worry about her, but I trust her judgement!

~Semper Fi~

Noi

Sep 19, 2006, 11:25:03 PM9/19/06

n_cram...@pacbell.net wrote:
> "Noi" <taw...@aol.com> wrote:
> > Vagabond wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> > Khun Vagabond,
> >
> > Thank you for a very insightful information and probably the most
> > likely scenario.
> >
> > As I always maintain that the few elitists rearrranging chairs on the
> > deck and basically taking turn stuffing their pockets. And as usual
> > the poor and the middle class people got shafted!
>
> Nong Noi,
>
> I just talked to Jun. She's up in Wichian Buri, Petchabun. She said it
> won't effect regular people. She's been through these coups since the late
> 1940's. Of course, I worry about her, but I trust her judgement!

Khun P' Nick:

I just got off the phone from talking with my cousin and seems like he
is not all that concerned. P' Jun is right, nothing changes for the
working class people.

Nice to see you back kha :-)

Noi

n_cram...@pacbell.net

Sep 20, 2006, 12:32:43 AM9/20/06
"Noi" <taw...@aol.com> wrote:
> n_cram...@pacbell.net wrote:
> > [ . . . ]

> > Nong Noi,
> >
> > I just talked to Jun. She's up in Wichian Buri, Petchabun. She said it
> > won't effect regular people. She's been through these coups since the
> > late 1940's. Of course, I worry about her, but I trust her judgement!
>
> Khun P' Nick:
>
> I just got off the phone from talking with my cousin and seems like he
> is not all that concerned. P' Jun is right, nothing changes for the
> working class people.
>
> Nice to see you back kha :-)

I'm always lurking here. I don't post unless I have something to say that I
think might be of interest.

Not being female, I don't have a lot to say, although when I have a
discussion with Jun, I always have the last word. "Yes, dear!"

Tallug, Nong Noi. Cawthoot khrap! ;-D

htina...@hotmail.com

Sep 20, 2006, 1:14:32 AM9/20/06
Why would you support a coup that overthrow a democratically elected
PM?
What happens to the democracy?

Many people want the PM to out, still many other people want him to
stay.

Why can't every body can't wait untail next election?

They put troops on the street, because they can't fight in the
election. The opposition shun away from election and use guns instead.

all the best guys

Galoubet

Sep 20, 2006, 2:47:49 AM9/20/06
On 19 Sep 2006 22:14:32 -0700, htina...@hotmail.com wrote:

>Why would you support a coup that overthrow a democratically elected
>PM?
>What happens to the democracy?

If only it were that simple. Democracy is not a well defined concept.
In Thailand there wasn't democracy even if people liked using the word
as some means of comfort. There was an authoritarian elective
dictatorship. Thaksin didn't work for the people. He used his power,
bought by bribes to the poor of Thailand, to further his own corrupt
ends.

I hasten to add that I think Blair is in the same situation here in
the UK. Although probably not corrupt in the same way as Thaksin, he
similarly doesn't give a shit what the people think (just look at the
war in Iraq as one example).

I don't like military coups. But removing Thaksin from power is no bad
thing.

In a nice twist I hear rumours (on the BBC) this morning that Thaksin
will probably come to the UK to join the rest of his family who
apparently are already here. That's a nice cosy arrangement don't you
think?

I wonder if he's brought all the millions of baht (now probably in
Singapore dollars) he's robbed from the Thai people that elected him.
Maybe he'll give a nice fat donation (or loan!) to the British Labour
Party.

Don't you just love politicians and democracy? Please excuse my
scepticism.

Galoubet