Sondhi Limthongkul Makes Stunning Return, Declaring New Target: Himself

1 view

pluto

Dec 20, 2007, 8:37:47 PM12/20/07
Sondhi Limthongkul Makes Stunning Return, Declaring New Target: Himself
SOURCE:NOTTHENATION
BANGKOK, NOVEMBER 29, 2007 - Desperate to revive the sagging fortunes of his
Manager Media and to return to the spotlight during the election run-up,
controversial journalist Sondhi Limthongkul branded himself a “liar” and
“traitor” yesterday in a stunning press conference at his Baan Phra Athit
headquarters.
The brilliant self-promoter called for his own resignation and exile and said
that he would hold a massive rally a week before the election if his demands
were not met.
“I am a con-man and an opportunist who has taken this country down a complete
dead-end,” said Sondhi. "I should leave the country forever and never come
back." He then shouted his trademark "Ok pai!" chant to delirious cheers from
his employees and supporters.
The colorful “journalist” said that if he had not left the country before
December 20 he would hold a rally that would make his previous rallies look tiny
in comparison.
“Thais will pour into the streets by the millions demanding that I finally shut
up. They will pay respects to Democracy Monument and then storm my residence in
an unprecedented display of people’s power. I will personally lead the charge,
arm in arm with my brothers, and then once they have spoken I will leave the
country in disgrace.”
The other PAD leaders said that they backed the plan 100 percent. Spokesman
Phipop Thongchai vehemently denied that suggested a split between Sondhi and the
rest of the PAD’s leadership. “We are firmly on Sondhi’s side here. We all agree
he is a fraud and a crook."
This new strategy, he said, is also in line with the PAD's overall goals, which
are to hold rallies and get people all worked up in the name of democracy.
Chamlong Srimuang said he would lead his cult of vegetarian virgins in the
march. “I will march with Sondhi and then I will hold a sit-in demanding he
leave the country.”
At the end of the press conference yesterday, Sondhi called another press
conference for Friday where he said he would answer the charges against him. He
then led the assembled press corps to the local court house, where he asked his
lawyer to launch a 700 billion-baht lawsuit against himself for slander.