Tamil Magazines "kaNaiyAzhi" and "nakkiiran" now available on-line

K. Kalyanasundaram

Feb 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/25/97

Electronic/On-line versions of Chennai-based Tamil Magazines

Recently I learnt that the Chennai-based Tamil Weekly
Magazines "kaNaiyAzhi" and "n^akkiiran" are now available
on-line in the internet under the following URL:

kaNaiyAzhi:
http://www.pcsadvt.com/kanaiyazhi/index.htm
nakkiiran:
http://www.pcsadvt.com/nakkheeran/

The online versions in Tamil are based on the Tamilfont
Mylai/Mylai - a copy of which can be obtained free for
use on Windows PCs (3.x, 95, NT), Macintosh and UNIX
platforms - from many sites, including
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5180/mylai1.html

There is still a lot of scepticism on the part of tamil
magazine publishers on potential internet audience and the
advantages of putting their papers on line.
One way we can hope to see more and more tamil
magazines appear on line is by encouraging these pioneering
efforts. So do visit these sites and enjoy browsing these
popular tamil magazines.

Kalyan

Sankara Narayanan

Feb 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/25/97
to K. Kalyanasundaram

Thanks for the info.

One thing which I find a little painful is that different
magazines/net-publishers keep using different fonts and the
reader is expected to install that particular font so that
he can read the pages.

VIkatan uses 'murasu anjal', some sites use 'Mylai' etc. etc.
It would be very good if these things are published in some
browser-readable format like 'gif', postscript' etc. without
any extra overhead on the reader.

It is high time that all the net-based Tamil publishers agree
upon a common format. This will highly encourage the publisher
as well as the reader.

-Sankara Narayanan

Disclaimer : My opinions do not involve my employer ;->

Venkat

Feb 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/25/97

Gopala Ganesh wrote:

> Sankara Narayanan <san...@vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> >It is high time that all the net-based Tamil publishers agree
> >upon a common format. This will highly encourage the publisher
> >as well as the reader.
> >

> >-Sankara Narayanan
> >

> Amen! How exasperating indeed! - ganesh

Is 'Kanaiyazhi' available on-line?? Could someone please post me the
URL?

Thanks,
Venkat.

Gopala Ganesh

Feb 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/26/97

ba...@malaysia.net

Mar 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/6/97
to gga...@worldnet.att.net, san...@vnet.ibm.com

In article <5f0ahp$e...@mtinsc04.worldnet.att.net>,

Totally Agreed - please join Tamils the world over on the ta...@tamil.net
cybercommunity/mailing list to voice your opinion on the process of
achieving this consensus. It's about time we quit arguing about PAL,
NTSC, PAL2 etc and get into "Hollywood" issues! For info on tamil.net
please send a message to in...@tamil.net <mailto:in...@tamil.net> - the
kootalee autoresponder will reply you immediately on what to do :-)

anbudan../bala
ba...@tamil.net

RajeshVR

Mar 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/19/97

> >It is high time that all the net-based Tamil publishers agree
> >upon a common format. This will highly encourage the publisher
> >as well as the reader.

I think the fonts used by Vikatan are OK as they are faster and look
pretty
neat compared to the post script "Xerox" copy of Kumudam.
Also if UNICODE becomes popular and mainstream, the problem
should be solved I guess.

Rajesh

Zee99

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

I understand that LTEE has (1) an English website, and
(2) a Tamil website
Pleasegive me their wes sites.
Thanks. E-mail me or post

Theva