Sinhalese and Tamil Genetics and Keppetipolas

Sereno A. Barr-Kumarakulasinghe

Jun 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/14/99

A summary of a study of the genetic composition of
Sinhalese and Sri Lankan tamils are given below. The study
shows that Sinhalese and Tamils share about 55% of a common
gene pool. The major part of the Sinhalese (70%) genes are
of South Indian origin.
What was most surprising was the very little Vedda genes in
either the Sinhalese or Tamils. The Veddas appear to be a
distinct group.
Anyone who is more informed on gentic testing etc. wishes
to comment on the methodology. I'll be more than willing
to send a copy of the complete article if you are unable
to find it.

A side issue or factoid: Apparently the Keppeitipolas
were of South Indian origin. The reference was in

Meyer,1990 Eric Aspects of the Sinhalese-Tamil relations
in the Plantation Areas of Sri-Lanka under the British
Raj: The Indian Economic and Social History Review. 27:2
pg. 165-188

and he makes the reference from:
R. Pieris, Sinhalese Social Organisation and the Kandayan
Period, Colombo 1956, p.3
Lawrie, A. C., A Gazetter of the Central Province of
Ceylon, Colombo 1898.

Regards

barr-kum

Table 9 of Kshatriya G. K. Human Biology, 1995 v.67 pp.843-866
Contribution (%) from the Gene Pools of Sinhalse, Bengalis,
Indian Tamils, and veddas to the contemporary poulation groups
of Sri Lanka.

Population Sinhalese Bengalis Tamils (Indian) Veddahs
Sinhalese 25.4 69.9 4.73
Tamils (SL) 55.2 28.1 16.6

Figure 2 of Kshatriya G. K. Human Biology, 1995 v.67 pp.843-866
Genetic Relationships of Sri Lankan populations (Sinhalese, Tamils
and Veddas) with Indina populations (Tamils, South Indian Muslims,
Gujaratis, Punjabis, West Indian Muslims and bengalis) and populations
from the Middle east and Europe based on the genetic distance matrix
(40 alleles controlled by 13 loci)

-- Sinhalese
-- --0.07-|
| | -- Tamil (SL)
| |
----| --0.26---- Tamils Indian
| |

-----| -0.20-|
-------| --1.61--|
| | --0.39--- West Indian Muslims
| |
| --------2.66------------ Bengalis
--|
--| -5.89--------------------------- Middle East
------| |----9.75--------------------------- Europe

|-------11.88-------------------------- Veddas

Figure 3 of Kshatriya G. K. Human Biology, 1995 v.67 pp.843-866
Genetic Relationships of the Sinhalese with the Tamils of India,
South Indian Muslims, Gujaratis, Punjabis, West Indian Muslims
Bengalis and Veddas based on the genetic distance matrix
(43 alleles controlled by 15 loci).

-- Sinhalese
-- --0.14-|
----|

-----| -0.09-|
-------| --2.56--|
| | -0.31---- West Indian Muslims
| |
| --------5.15------------ Bengalis

------ -----|

|-------11.27--------------------- Veddas

| Sereno A. Barr-Kumarakulasinghe | |
| Marine Sciences Research Center | sbar...@kafula.msrc.sunysb.edu |
| State University of New York | |
| Stony Brook, NY11794-5000 | |
| ============================================== |
| http://kafula.msrc.sunysb.edu/~sbarrkum |
|________________________________________________________________________|

This indeed is the safe refuge, this the refuge supreme.
Having gone to such a refuge, one is released from all
suffering.

Buddhist Dhammapada
Chapter 14: The Buddha, vv. 192

Taeller D

Jun 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/14/99
I read a recent article about the genetics of Vedhas which grouped them with
some of the African populations and had some indication that the Vedhas
seperated from the African groups just 10,000 years ago, if this hypothesis is
true then the Vedhas migratory route would put them in the West Asia not East,
if we are to belive in their Austric origins, and it also will indicate that
some how Vedhas are not the decendents of Balangoda man.

Umberto Gui

Jun 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/15/99

"Sereno A. Barr-Kumarakulasinghe" wrote:

Hi Sereno,

This is about the second or third such study I have seen posted here, and each
one has been different. The last one which was posted here around last
September stated that the biggest influence of the Sinhalese were the vaddahs.

I wonder if these people carrying out these tests are aware of the Sinhalese
and Tamil caste structures and that certain Sinhalese castes are of people of
South Indian decent and that certain castes among Tamils are of Sinhalese
descent.

I wonder if they take the above into account and accurately divide or weight
the Sinhalese and Tamil sample populations into these group in order to
reflect the composition of national population.

For example, if the Sinhalese sample consisted of a large number of karawes
and Durawe's etc it will show greater connections to South India and lesser
connections to the vaddhas. Similarly a large Kovia, Tanakara, Nalavar castes
among the Tamil sample will show greater links to the Sinhalese than South
India.

Since you have the report, you can comment if the study was selective in
formulating the samples so as to give accurate weight to the different
compositions with the Sinhalese and Tamil populations.

I also worry that these studies are being carried out with particular
political motives in mind.

You don't need a gene study to say that Keppetipola is from South India. You
will find that most famous names of the Kandyan aristocracy during British
times are not found during the Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa or even the early
Kandyan periods.

regards

Umberto Gui

Umberto Gui

Jun 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/15/99

Taeller D wrote:

Yes, I agree, this is the most plausable conclusion at the present time, in the
absence of any other evidence.

It seems that Asia was over run by several races during the pre-historic times.

We see the Veddhas in Sri Lanka, India, Malaysia, Indonesia and the aboriginies in
Australia.

Then we have the Nagas, a mongolic peoples who seems to have over run Sri Lanka,
India and most of South East Asia and perhaps the Americas.

They still survive in Nagaland in East India, and in Sri Lanka they have left a
huge legacy even to this day.

Then there is the balangoda man who sticks out like a sore thumb.

Then we have the aryans dravidians etc.

So reading the mahavamsa the note that, yakkahs, Nagas and devas lived in Sri
Lanka during the times of vijaya, perhaps is an indication to the various races
that existed on the island.

unfortunately there is very little evidence, except for the Balangoda man and all
those granite lined ancient graves.

Umberto Gui

Taeller D

Jun 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/15/99
>I wonder if they take the above into account and accurately divide or weight
>the Sinhalese and Tamil sample populations into these group in order to
>reflect the composition of national population.

This absolutely correct, some of the Western researchers who are doing these
studies are not aware of the finer nuances of the caste system

I once read study which placed the Nepalese between Indians and Sri Lankans . I
was flabergasted I wanted to ask the author

which Nepalese ?
which Indians ?
which Sri Lankans ?

Obviously he was not talking about Nepali Sherpas being inbetween Sri Lankan
Velalar and Kashmiri Dogri Muslims.

Which begs the question that SRI LANKANS ought to do these studies. Now will
they do it without any ingrained racial biases is another question.

MR LINGA

Jun 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/15/99
At last, atleast once, Umberto seems to be saying something sensible.I agree
with Umberto's comments on sinhalese and Tamil caste structures.Iam sure
Umberto will also agree that except for Buddhist influence there is no
indo-Aryan input into the Sinhalese Race. Sinhalese like Tamils are essentially
a DravidianPEOPLE.Your comments most welcome Umberto.

Umberto Gui

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99

MR LINGA wrote:

Sorry old honey bunch,

I don't agree with you at all.

There is very little EVIDENCE of Dravidian input into the Sinhala race. You are
just guessing without any evidence.

The first Tamil/dravidian settlements in Sri Lanka are from the 9th century
onwards. See Prof Karthigesu Indrapala and many others.

From 548BC till 922AD, 1300 years, we have the arrival of Vijaya and the Sinhalese
language into Sri lanka, the first tangible evidence of Indo Aryan influence and
then followed by 1300 years of indo aryan input from Buddhist North India.

There are NO Dravidian or Tamil inscriptions in Sri Lanka until the chola conquest
in 992.

In contrast, there are over 5000 known stone cave inscriptions of Brahmini and old
Sinhalese which are sanskrit based and as such overwhelming indo aryan input. these

There is simply NO EVIDENCE of anything Tamil or dravidian in the first 1300 years
of our history, except for invasions and expulsions.

There is speculation that some of the pre-vijayan tribes may have been dravidian
or pre-dravidian tribes, but these are speculations, and other than stone graves,
nothing else has been found. This again is totally contradicted by the Balangoda
man, carbon dated by the Indians as being 28,000 years old and he is no dravidian.

There is every indication that drvidians are not from South India, but from North
India and beyond, and were immigrants like the many other migratory tribes.

The earliest dravidian civilisations are found in North India ( modendajaro) and
not in South India.

Umberto Gui

pallavan

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99
Are you fooling yourself?
There was no immigration for the last 20 centuries from north India to
Sri lanka. All the immigrations were from South india. Only the war
efforts were recorded but they too mention all the soldiers were from
south India. No more north indian immigrations are recorded!

For the last 20 centuries Sinhalese get input from South India only.
Parangi input is also a little persentage.

Neela Perumal and Thambi are the good examples for the dravidian input
to the Sinhala race!

Taeller D

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99
>Then we have the Nagas, a mongolic peoples who seems to have over run Sri
>Lanka,
>India and most of South East Asia and perhaps the Americas.
>
>They still survive in Nagaland in East India, and in Sri Lanka they

Steady my friend, do not get over worked

Indian chroniclers both Buddhist and Hindu had a standardized names to describe
people unknown to them as such

Kirata
Cina are terms used for all tribes coming out of China, Burma and Tibet
(Hundreds of Tribes)

Naga
Yaksha
Rakshasha

are names used for non Aryan primitive tribes in Sri Lanka, India, Malaya etc

Hence you will come across Nagas in many places. Just read up on the mythology
of Telugus, Kannads and even Bengalis you will come across Nagas and it is a
fit all generic term for Aborigine period.

But ancient chroniclers did not call Civilized Tamils as any of these tribes
they usually called them as Dravidas which is a Sankritized term for Tamils.
But even in Tamil nadu even today we have many aboriginal tribes of many
origins (all speaking various Dravidian languages) So I want be surprized that
in the annals of ancient chronicles there are some Nagas among Tamils just like
among Sinhalese.

Taeller D

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99
>There is every indication that drvidians are not from South India, but from
>North
>India and beyond, and were immigrants like the many other migratory tribes.

Who is a true Bhumi Putra ? No one is we are all immigrants from some where
else period.

Most of the anthropologist agree that is Africa. The earlist immigrants out of
Africa into Asia are Pygmy Negriotos still clinging on to life in Andaman
Islands, Malaysia Proper, Philipines, South Vietnam. Their genetic type is very
close to the earlist human forms surviving in Africa - the Bushmen of SA and
Namibia.

Australian Aborigines reached Austrlia atlest 50,000 - 70,000 yeras ago through
South Asia and South East Asia so people who are anthropologically close to
Dravidians must have reached the Southern Asian land mass before that.

nm58

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99

pallavan wrote:

> Are you fooling yourself?
> There was no immigration for the last 20 centuries from north India to
> Sri lanka. All the immigrations were from South india. Only the war
> efforts were recorded but they too mention all the soldiers were from
> south India. No more north indian immigrations are recorded!
>
> For the last 20 centuries Sinhalese get input from South India only.
> Parangi input is also a little persentage.
>
> Neela Perumal and Thambi are the good examples for the dravidian input
> to the Sinhala race!

yes,yes,

Lots of Germans in England.

We know about it all.

Umberto Gui

Umberto Gui

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99

Taeller D wrote:

Shooting in the dark?

Umberto Gui

Umberto Gui

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99

Taeller D wrote:

That is if you subscribe to the idea that we are all from Africa. There is another
school of thinking which says that we are not, and that like different spicies of
monkey man too evolved in different regions...Negros, Chinese, Asiatics etc..

Bumiputras refers to history, and you are above talking of pre-history.

The English are the Bumiputras of England, not the blacks or the Indians.
The malays are the bumiputras of Malaysia and not the Tamils or the Chinese.
The Sinhalese are the Bumiputras of Sri Lanka and not the Coolies or the muslims.

It is they who forged a civilization and gave rise to a centralized state based
around Anuradhapura.

There is ZERO contribution by Tamils to historic Sri lanka, other than invasions
and destruction.

Even the British have commented that Sinhalese created everything in Sri Lanka and
that Tamils destroyed. A damning acusation.

Umberto Gui

Taeller D

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99
>Shooting in the dark?
>
>Umberto Gui

I would say it is you who is in the dark because obviously you have not read
enough of Indian Chronicles of both Buddhist and Hindu.

Following is from the Mythology of the creation of Trilinga or Telugu people of
Andhra Pradesh.
-------
Different tribes used to speak different languages (dialects). The tribes of
Andhra such as Dravida, Yaksha, and Naga spoke"Telugu" or "Tenugu". Andhras
from North India used to speak another language called "Desi".

http://telugu.indnet.org/Telugu/telugu_lang_history_2.htm

Bottom line

Naga, Yaksha, Rakshasha are generic terms to describe any non -Aryan
"uncivilized" primitive tribe by various Indian authors during the post Vedic
times.

Where as the terms Asuras and Dasyus is used during the Vedic times to
describe the Aboriginal people.

Taeller D

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99
>Lots of Germans in England.

English people are amalgamation of various Germanic tribes and native Celts.

Saxons in Germany and Nederland still speak a lower German language which is
different from standard Deutsch. English along with Frisian and Dutch are Lower
Germanic languages.

Taeller D

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99
>The Sinhalese are the Bumiputras of Sri Lanka and not the Coolies or the
>muslims.

I though the Vaniala -Etto's are the Bhumi putras!

pallavan

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99
If the generations of Neela perumal and Thambi can claim Bhumi Putras,
all the Tamils are also Bhumi Putras. Further Parangis like Umberto Gui
cannot have any Bhumi Putras claims!

Umberto Gui wrote:

> Taeller D wrote:
>
> > >There is every indication that drvidians are not from South India, but from
> > >North
> > >India and beyond, and were immigrants like the many other migratory tribes.
> >
> > Who is a true Bhumi Putra ? No one is we are all immigrants from some where
> > else period.
> >
> > Most of the anthropologist agree that is Africa. The earlist immigrants out of
> > Africa into Asia are Pygmy Negriotos still clinging on to life in Andaman
> > Islands, Malaysia Proper, Philipines, South Vietnam. Their genetic type is very
> > close to the earlist human forms surviving in Africa - the Bushmen of SA and
> > Namibia.
> >
> > Australian Aborigines reached Austrlia atlest 50,000 - 70,000 yeras ago through
> > South Asia and South East Asia so people who are anthropologically close to
> > Dravidians must have reached the Southern Asian land mass before that.
>
> That is if you subscribe to the idea that we are all from Africa. There is another
> school of thinking which says that we are not, and that like different spicies of
> monkey man too evolved in different regions...Negros, Chinese, Asiatics etc..
>
> Bumiputras refers to history, and you are above talking of pre-history.
>
> The English are the Bumiputras of England, not the blacks or the Indians.
> The malays are the bumiputras of Malaysia and not the Tamils or the Chinese.

> The Sinhalese are the Bumiputras of Sri Lanka and not the Coolies or the muslims.

pallavan

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99
Poor Umberto!
Running into the bushes!

Umberto Gui wrote:

pallavan

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99
hooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

nm58 wrote:

> pallavan wrote:
>
> > Are you fooling yourself?
> > There was no immigration for the last 20 centuries from north India to
> > Sri lanka. All the immigrations were from South india. Only the war
> > efforts were recorded but they too mention all the soldiers were from
> > south India. No more north indian immigrations are recorded!
> >
> > For the last 20 centuries Sinhalese get input from South India only.
> > Parangi input is also a little persentage.
> >
> > Neela Perumal and Thambi are the good examples for the dravidian input
> > to the Sinhala race!
>
> yes,yes,
>

> Lots of Germans in England.

Taeller D

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99
>http://telugu.indnet.org/Telugu/telugu_lang_history_2.htm

actually

http://telugu.indnet.org/Telugu/telugu_lang_history_2.html

Book written by
Andhra Samkshipta Charitra
By Etukoori Balaraama Moorti
English translation : PALANA

Umberto Gui

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99

Taeller D wrote:

> >Lots of Germans in England.

Ah!

You missed out the Danes who from a large bulk of north England, the Nordic
invaders, The Dutch who still trade in tulips near peterborough, The French
huganoes, the Jews and many more.

Umberto Gui

Umberto Gui

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99

Taeller D wrote:

> >The Sinhalese are the Bumiputras of Sri Lanka and not the Coolies or the
> >muslims.
>

> I though the Vaniala -Etto's are the Bhumi putras!

There are no such people in Sri Lanka.

Umberto Gui

Umberto Gui

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99

Taeller D wrote:

> >Shooting in the dark?
> >
> >Umberto Gui

You have yourself admitted above that you are shooting in the dark.

You say "Mythology"

Romans created by Foxes and Sinhalese from Lions.

The difference between you and me is, I know what history is and how to distinguish
it from Mythology and pre-history. You don't.

You are including in to History, all these myths and pre-history, which can not be
backed up by ant evidence.

History of India begins from around the birth of the Buddha. What is before that,
is mostly pre-history and myth, which cannot be proved. It is as good as the
Mahabaratha or the Ramayana, where you cannot prove the existance of a single ruler
mentioned in it, let alone the flying Ravana.

So for you it may be fact, but for me it is what you stated...Myth..., nothing
more, nothing less.

I do not form my opnions based on myth.

regards

Umberto Gui

Umberto Gui

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99

pallavan wrote:

> If the generations of Neela perumal and Thambi can claim Bhumi Putras,
> all the Tamils are also Bhumi Putras. Further Parangis like Umberto Gui
> cannot have any Bhumi Putras claims!

Tamil cannot be Bumiputras in Tamil Nadu, malaysia, sri lanka, South Africa and
Mauritius.

Tamils are Bumiputras in Tamil Nadu.

In Sri Lanka Tamils are Kallathonis, who colonised Sinhala homelands and made Weligama
into Weligamam and wrote false deeds to rob Sinhala lands.

Umberto Gui

MR LINGA

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99
Umberto you old chap you need to go back to school and start (re) learning .
YOUR head is full of distorted information. I pity you it is not your fault it
is the fault of the srilankan( sinhalese) education system.
FOR starters I suggest you read the info posted under the caption "Sinhala
villages-correction" in this forum today. I shall most certainly point you
towads the authentic works carried out by SIR Mortimer wheeler,Alexander
CUNNINGHAM,ROBERT CALDWELL,Neela kanda sashthiri,ROmila THAPAR,paul peries,PROF
Sinnappa Arasaratnam,Paulinas Tambimuttu ,etal in Dravidian civilisation. Their
study in to the Dravidian civilisation will prove beyond any doubt that there
were flourishing Dravidian settlements the south of the vindiyas even before
there was any smell of any ARYANS in south Asia.

pallavan

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99
haaaahahahahahahhahahahahahah
Tamils are now Bhumi Putras every where!
Kallathonis are the rulers of Sri Lanka. heheheheheheehe
Neela Perumal gave a Banda and (Nalla)Thambi gave a Jayawardene to rule
Sri Lanka!

cha! Tamils are the born rulers in SL all the time!

Umberto Gui

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99

MR LINGA wrote:

> Umberto you old chap you need to go back to school and start (re) learning .
> YOUR head is full of distorted information. I pity you it is not your fault it
> is the fault of the srilankan( sinhalese) education system.

Hi honey bunch,

I am not giving you my information or education, but information and education of
emminent Tamils from Jaffna university.

Are you trying to say that Jaffna has idiots?

here have a look......
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/umberto/indra.htm

> FOR starters I suggest you read the info posted under the caption "Sinhala
> villages-correction" in this forum today. I shall most certainly point you
> towads the authentic works carried out by SIR Mortimer wheeler,Alexander
> CUNNINGHAM,ROBERT CALDWELL,Neela kanda sashthiri,ROmila THAPAR,paul peries,PROF
> Sinnappa Arasaratnam,Paulinas Tambimuttu ,etal in Dravidian civilisation. Their
> study in to the Dravidian civilisation will prove beyond any doubt that there
> were flourishing Dravidian settlements the south of the vindiyas even before
> there was any smell of any ARYANS in south Asia.

Was that based on Ravana the hundred headed king who flew?

There is no evidence of dravidain settlements in Sri Lanka before the 9th century.
There are no dravidain inscriptions or Hindu Bronzes found in Sri Lanka before the
9th century.

All that you have are fairy stories like the Ramayana, in which the existence of a
single ruler cannot be proved.

Umberto Gui

Umberto Gui

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99

pallavan wrote:

> haaaahahahahahahhahahahahahah
> Tamils are now Bhumi Putras every where!
> Kallathonis are the rulers of Sri Lanka. heheheheheheehe
> Neela Perumal gave a Banda and (Nalla)Thambi gave a Jayawardene to rule
> Sri Lanka!
>
> cha! Tamils are the born rulers in SL all the time!

We can see how these born rulers are hiding behind bushes.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha h aha ha ha h aha ha h ha ha

Even in Jaffna, you had to have Aryachakravarthis , because the black dravidas could only
pluck leaves.

he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he

Umberto Gui

MR LINGA

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99
Pallavan also seems to write something sensible for once . HOPE Umberto learns
a thing or two from him.

Taeller D

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99
>I do not form my opnions based on myth.

You are changing the subject because I have proved it to you that there is
nothing special about the mentioning of Nagas in Sri Lanka.

Because you were the one who was despairing about the fact that Nagas are
mentioned in Mahavamsa and there are Nagas in Monogoloid Nagaland and there are
Nagas in America so on and so forth....

For me there is no great mystry about the
these so called Nagas, whether in Sri Lanka, India or America, it is a standrd
term for primitive tribes used by Chroniclers in India so YOU WILL HERE ABOUT
NAGAS all over the world. It is a term just like hunter gatherers no
differance.

About Mythology and History my frienfd I know the differance.

Mythology of creation of the Sinhalese and Telugus mention Nagas and Rakshas.
Da!! that should ring some bells in an opened minded person.

Umberto Gui

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99

Taeller D wrote:

I disagree.

First of all there is very little evidence on the subject to form any conclusion
and secondly it is highly unlikely that two peples, one in Sri Lanka and another in
Nagaland should have the same tribal name the Nagas and for them to have no
connection whatsoever.

Such circumstances do not exist in any other comparable situation.

Until enough research is carried out and adequet evidence found, I prefer to leave
it in pre-history as myth. We can only guess.

I disagree that Nagas is a standard term for primitive tribes used by chroniclers
in India, because In Sri Lanka alone there are a lot of references to the Nagas as
a people who worshipped the serpant and the Mahavamsa mentions that the Naga king
who was assigned to guard the Western entrance to Anuradhapura sat on a throne of
equivalent prominence to the Sinhala king.

There is sufficient evidence to indicate that the Nagas were a people who
worshipped the Serpant (Naga), and such Naga guard stones are found all over Sri
Lanka. It is a name of a particular tribe and not a common name given to all
primitive peoples. If that was the case the Veddahs would have been called the
Nagas. But, they are not.

Umberto Gui

Taeller D

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99
>Nagaland should have the same tribal name the Nagas and for them to have no
>connection whatsoever.

Georgians in America
Georgians in Georgia

If I look hard, I will gurantee you that among the million names for tribes
across the globe I will find more examples.

Further Naga is Indo-Aryan word for serpants and a Sino-Tibetan tribe(s) like
Naga of Nagaland got the name due to fact that they were a primitive tribe and
the people who named them are culturally advanced people.

Other Indo-Aryan names for non Indo-Aryan people

Andhra for Telugus
Dravidas for Tamils
Keralas for Malayalees
Karnatak for Kannadas
Tripuri for another mongoloid tribe in NE India. (Sino- Tibetan)
Manipuri for Metei - another mongoloid tribal people in NE India (Sino-Tibetan)

Case in point many native American tribes in the US have names which means
nothing in their own languages. Anazazi means the enemy in Navajo languge but
the decendants of Anazazi obviously do not like that name, they like Hopi and
Zuni.

There is a Tribe called Fort Apache Jacarilos, I am will be surprized whether
it meant anything in their langauge at all. (The name is a mixture of
English/Spanish)

Another example Eskimos, the native name Inuit is taking precedance over the
derogotary name familiarized by the Europeans. Who named them as such. (It
originally meant enemies (!) in Aleuten)

Indian chroniclers were the culturally advanced people who were on the move
finding new places not just within India such as Sri Lanka but all over South
East Asia, do you know the ancient Burmese, Cambodians, Malays and Vietnamese
were Hindus converted by Indian merchants and priests? Some of these tribes
were butt naked when the Indian civilized them.

The oldest city in Burma is called Shri Kshetra (=Thiri Setra) in Burmese and
has temples built to Vishnu, Shiva etc. The still surviving pagan cult of Burma
is called Nag (=Nak in Burmese), cult and it has 18 ? serpant gods who are co
-opted by the Hindus then the Buddhist in Burma.

I have read enough of these old mythologies of Indian wonder lust, I am not
surprized about the use of Naga and Yaksha by Indians but you are right people
have not written authoritative books on the subject, all the books I have read
writen by western authors try to find some unforseen connection between all
these hunter gatherers.

Some glaring examples of naming names

India was named by the Persians as India
Hindu is a foreign term probably Persian
Asia was named by the Greeks -(= across the shore in Greek for Anatolian
peninsula)

--------------------------------------
Indo-Aryans had colonized the whole of South and South East Asia longe before
the birth of Christ. My pet theory why only in Sri Lanka and the Maldives that
they have left more than mere cultural legacies is due to the fact that both
these places must have had very simple civilzations which were easily
overwhelmed by these people coupled with proximity to the Mother land meant
more and more colonist could arrive within a short period enough to completely
overwhelm the makeup of the local population thus not allowing the local
element to seep in as must have happened in all the other places.

Obviously the Indo-Aryans could have easily overrun South India as they did Sri
Lanka ? but they didnt why ? is it because they could'nt ? They have only left
a cultural legay along with the pristhood.

They did not overwhelm the local populations of Burma, Cambodia, Vietnam,
Malaysia either.

Although what is interesting is that of the only Hindu place reamaing namely
Bali close to three percent of the population claim Tri-Vamsa of Aryan
ancestry.

pallavan

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99
Umberto, first you better study about Neela Perumal and Nallathambi.
Then you bark about you Nagaland or England!

Umberto Gui wrote:

> Taeller D wrote:
>
> > >I do not form my opnions based on myth.
> >
> > You are changing the subject because I have proved it to you that there is
> > nothing special about the mentioning of Nagas in Sri Lanka.
> >
> > Because you were the one who was despairing about the fact that Nagas are
> > mentioned in Mahavamsa and there are Nagas in Monogoloid Nagaland and there are
> > Nagas in America so on and so forth....
> >
> > For me there is no great mystry about the
> > these so called Nagas, whether in Sri Lanka, India or America, it is a standrd
> > term for primitive tribes used by Chroniclers in India so YOU WILL HERE ABOUT
> > NAGAS all over the world. It is a term just like hunter gatherers no
> > differance.
> >
> > About Mythology and History my frienfd I know the differance.
> >
> > Mythology of creation of the Sinhalese and Telugus mention Nagas and Rakshas.
> > Da!! that should ring some bells in an opened minded person.
>
> I disagree.
>
> First of all there is very little evidence on the subject to form any conclusion
> and secondly it is highly unlikely that two peples, one in Sri Lanka and another in

> Nagaland should have the same tribal name the Nagas and for them to have no
> connection whatsoever.

pallavan

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99
Arya Chakkaravarthis are my ancestors and not Sinhalese, idiot!

Nalla Thambi's great great great great great grand son Ranil
Wickramasingham is now giving a hand to his "maha maha mutha" Thambi's
people in the bushes of Vanni!

Umberto Gui

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99

Taeller D wrote:

> >Nagaland should have the same tribal name the Nagas and for them to have no
> >connection whatsoever.

Most Interesting reading.

Just two points.

The Nagas/mongoloids would have roamed Asia and the Americas long before any Indian
chroniclers got round to naming them. The Indian chroniclers lived in History and
the mongoloids lived in pre-history.

The legacy of the Nagas is so widespread in Sri Lanka, South India, North India,
South East Asia etc to reject it as mere co-incidence and a name given to them by
Indian chroniclers. This Naga, serpant worshipping is also found among Indian
tribes in Mexico and South America.

That is my opinion, but as I said, we are all shooting in the dark, as there is no
evidence to reach any conclusions.

Umberto Gui

Umberto Gui

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99

There you are.

You wanted North Indian input.

You are an Arya a living, walking, talking example of North Indian Input.

You are not black like the rest of your comrades?

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha h

Umberto Gui

Umberto Gui

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99
yes,yes, Irish in America and Germans in England, Moslems in India and Aryachakravarthis
in Jaffna.

Umberto Gui

pallavan wrote:

> Umberto, first you better study about Neela Perumal and Nallathambi.
> Then you bark about you Nagaland or England!
>
> Umberto Gui wrote:

> > > You are changing the subject because I have proved it to you that there is
> > > nothing special about the mentioning of Nagas in Sri Lanka.
> > >
> > > Because you were the one who was despairing about the fact that Nagas are
> > > mentioned in Mahavamsa and there are Nagas in Monogoloid Nagaland and there are
> > > Nagas in America so on and so forth....
> > >
> > > For me there is no great mystry about the
> > > these so called Nagas, whether in Sri Lanka, India or America, it is a standrd
> > > term for primitive tribes used by Chroniclers in India so YOU WILL HERE ABOUT
> > > NAGAS all over the world. It is a term just like hunter gatherers no
> > > differance.
> > >
> > > About Mythology and History my frienfd I know the differance.
> > >
> > > Mythology of creation of the Sinhalese and Telugus mention Nagas and Rakshas.
> > > Da!! that should ring some bells in an opened minded person.
> >
> > I disagree.
> >
> > First of all there is very little evidence on the subject to form any conclusion
> > and secondly it is highly unlikely that two peples, one in Sri Lanka and another in

> > Nagaland should have the same tribal name the Nagas and for them to have no
> > connection whatsoever.

pallavan

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99
Problem is not Arya or Dravida. Problem is Tamil or Sinhala!

pallavan

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99
Idiot! Study about Neela Perumal and Nallathambi who were the ancestors
of Banda and Jayawardene!

Umberto Gui

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99

pallavan wrote:

> Problem is not Arya or Dravida. Problem is Tamil or Sinhala!

What problem?
You think there is a problem, we don't.

Umberto Gui

Umberto Gui

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99

pallavan wrote:

> Idiot! Study about Neela Perumal and Nallathambi who were the ancestors
> of Banda and Jayawardene!

What nonsense.

Jayawardene is a direct decendant of Vijaya.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

He is a fair arya, not dark like any neela perumals.

Umberto Gui

Taeller D

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99
Some names for you, I will contact the Naga people and will find what it means
in their Sino-Tibetan language.

abnaki: those living at the sunrise (easterners)
achomawi: river
acolapissa: those who listen and see
ahtena: ice people
akwesasne: land where the partridge drums
alabama: i clear the thicket
apache: enemy (zuni word)
apalachicola: people of the other side
apalachee: people of the other side
arikara: horns or elk people, or corn eaters
assiniboin: ones who cook using stones (ojibwa word)
atakapa: man eater
atsina: white clay people
atsugewi: hat creek indians
avoyel: people of the rocks
bayogoula: people of the bayou
bidai: brushwood (caddo word)
brule: burned thighs
caddo: true chiefs
cayuga: place locusts were taken out,
people at the mucky land
cayuse: stones or rocks (French-Canadian word)
chakchiuma: red crawfish people
chehalis: sand
cherokee: cave people (choctaw word),
people of different speech (creek word)
chetco: close to the mouth of the stream
cheyenne: red talkers (dakota word)
chickahominy: hominy people
chipwyan: pointed skins (cree word)
chitimacha: they have cooking vessels
chontal: stranger (nahuatl word)
choula: fox
chowanoc: people at the south
chumash: people who make the shell bead money
clallam: strong people
clatsop: dried salmon
crow: crow, sparrowhawk, bird people
erie: log tail or cat people (iroquois word)
fox: red earth people
gros ventre: big bellies, one who cooks with a stone,
he cooks by roasting
hach winik: true people
han: those who live along the river
havasupai: people of the blue green water
hiute: bowmen
honniasont: wearing something around the neck
hopi: peaceful ones
houma: red
huchnom: mountain people
hunkpapa: campers at the opening of the circle
hupa: trinity river
hwal'bay (hualapai): people of the tall pines
ihanktonwan: dwellers at the end
ihanktonwana: little dwellers at the end
iowa: sleepy ones (dakota word)
iroquois: real adders (snake) or we of the extended lodge
jatibonicu: people of the great sacred high waters
jatibonuco: great people of the sacred high waters
jicaque: ancient person (nahuatl word)
jicarilla: little basket weaver (spanish word)
kan-hatki: white earth
kanienkahaka: people of the place of flint
karok: upstream
kato: lake
kawchottine: people of the great hares
ketsei: going in wet sand
kickapoo: he stands about
kiowa: principal people
klallam: strong people
klamath: people of the lake
kutcha-kutchin: those who live on the flats
kwuda: people coming out
lakota friend or ally (same with dakota & nakota)
latgawa: those living in the uplands
lenni lenape: genuine men
lillooet: wild onion
machapunga: bad dust
mahican: wolf
makah: cape people
maliseet: broken talkers
massachuset: at the hills
mdewankantonwan: dwellers of the spirit lake
menominee: wild rice men
miami: people on the peninsula, cry of the crane
michigamea: great water
miniconjou: planters by water
missouri: great muddy, people with wooden canoes
moapa: mosquito creek people
moatokni: southerners
modoc: southerners
mohave: three mountains
mohawk: the possessors of the flint, coward or
man eater (abenaki words)
mohegan: wolf
moneton: big water people
munsee: at the place where the stones are gathered together
nahane: people of the west
narragansett: people of the small point
nanticoke: people of the tidewaters
natsit-kutchin: those who live off the flats
navajo: cultivated field in an arroyo (tewa word)
nipmuck: freshwater fishing place
nooksack: mountain men
oglala: scatters their own
ojibwa: to roast till puckered up
okelousa: blackwater
okmulgee: where water boils up
omaha: upstream people or people going against the current
oneida: a boulder standing up, people of the standing stone
onondaga: people on top of the hills
opata: hostile people (pima word)
ottawa: to trade
otto: lechers
pahodja: dusty nones
pakiutlema: people of the gap
pamunkey: rising upland
pantch-pinunkansh: men altogether red
papagos: desert people, bean people
pascagoula: bread people
passamaquoddy: plenty of pollock
paugusset: where the narrows open out
pawnee: horn people, men of men, look like wolves
pennacook: down hill
penobscot: it forks on the white rocks or the descending
ledge place, at the stone place
pensacola: hair people
people of the lakes: tribes near the great lakes
peoria: carrying a pack on his back
pequot: fox people or destroyers
pilthlako: big swamp
pima: river people
pojoaque: drinking place
potawatomi: people of the place of the fire, keepers of the fire,
(fire nation, fire people)
powhatan: falls in a current of water
pshwanwapam: stony ground
puyallup: shadow
quapaw: downstream people
sac: people of the yellow earth or people of the outlet
salish: flatheads
sans arc: without bows
schaghticoke: at the river forks
sekani: dwellers on the rocks
seminole: separatist or breakaway,peninsula people
seneca: place of stone, people of the standing rock,
great hill people
shawnee: south or southerners
sihasapa sioux: blackfeet
siksika: blackfeet
sioux: snake (french version of other tribe's name)
sisitonwan: dwellers of the fish ground
skokomish: river people
taino: we the good people
takelma: those living along the river
tangipahoa: corn gatherers
tantawats: southern men
tatsanottine: people of the copper water
tawakoni: river bend among red hills
tejas: friendly
tennuth-ketchin: middle people
tewa: moccasins
thlingchadinne: dog-flank people
titonwan: dwellers of the plains
tonawanda: confluent stream
tonkawa: they all stay together
tsattine: lives among the beavers
tsetsaut: people of the interior (niska word)
tubatulabal: pinenut eaters (shoshone word)
tuscarora: hemp gatherers, the shirt wearing people
two kettle: two boilings
unalachtgo: tidewater people
vunta-ketchin: those who live among the lakes
wahpekute: shooters amoung the leaves
wahpetonwan: dwellers amoung the leaves
wailaki: north language (wintun word)
wakokai: blue heron breeding place
walapai: pine tree people
wallawalla: little river
wampanoag: eastern people
wappo: brave
waptailmin: people of the narrow river
wasco: cup, those who have the cup
winnebago: filthy water people
wiwohka: roaring water
yakima: runaway
yavapai: people of the sun, crooked mouth people
yoncalla: those living at ayankeld
yuchi: situated yonder
yuki: stranger (wintun word)
yurok: downstream (karok word)

------

------

Alternative Tribal Names
Many tribes have more than one name. Some tribes have a name they give to the
world, and another name which was meant to be used only amoungst themselves.
Some tribes became know by the names other tribes called them. There are many
variations on how Europeans spelled tribal names. Lewis & Clark refer to the
IOWA (pronounced Eye-oh-way) Indians with spellings that varied from page to
page. I have not included every possible phonetic spelling, just the major
ones.

abenaki (western): alnonba, abnaki
adai: nateo
alabama: alibamu
anadarko: nadaco
apache: n de,dine,tinde,inde,shis inde,
apache mohave: yavapai
appomattoc: apamatuks
arapahoe: inunaina, atsina
arikara: northern pawnee
assiniboin: hohe
atsina: haaninin
aztec: nahua, nahuatl
bannock: panaiti
bear river indians: niekeni
bellabella: heiltsuqu
blackfeet: nitsi-tapi, piegan, pikuni (northern); siksika,
sisaka (southern), sihasapa
blood: kainai
brule sioux: si can gu
caddo: hasinai,kadohodacho,kadohadacho confederacy,
fort natchitoches
calusa: calos, carlos, muspa
campo: kumeyaay
catawba: esaw, ushery
cayuga: kweniogwen
cayuse: wailetpu, te-taw-ken
chakchiuma: shaktci homma
chemehuevi: tantawats
cherokee: tsa-la-gi, ani-yun-wiya, anikituhwagi
cheyenne: dzi tsi stas, sowonia (southern),
o mi sis (northern)
chitimacha: pantch-pinunkansh
choctaw: chakchiuma, chatot
chumash: santa barbara indians
clackamas: guithlakimas
clallam: s'klallam, nusklaim,tlalem
coeur d'alene: skitswish
comanche: padouca (sioux word),nermernuh
comox: catloltx
copane: kopano, quevenes
cora: nayarit
coushatta: koasati, acoste
cree: kenistenoag,iyiniwok
creek: muskogee, abihika, abeika, hitchiti
crow: absaroke
cuthead: pabaksa
delaware: lenni lenape, lenape, abnaki, alnanbai, wampanoag,
munsee, unami, unalachitgo
dieguenos: comeya, tipai, ipai, kumeyaay
eskimo: inupiat, yupik
ganawese: conoys, piscataways
gros ventre: atsina (prairie), hidatsa (missouri), minnetaree
hainai: ioni
havasupai: suppai
hopi: hopitu,hopitu shinumu, moqui, hapeka
hualapai: hwal'bay, walapai
hupa: natinnohhoi
iowa: pahodja
iroquois: haudenosaunee,hodenosaunee,ongwanosionni,
hotinonshonni
jemez: tuwa
jicarilla apache: tinde
kamia: tipai
kansa: kansas,kaw, hutanga
kato: tlokeang
kickapoo: kiwigapawa
kiowa: kwuda,tepda,tepkinago, gaigwu
kiowa apache: nadiisha dena
klamath: eukshikni maklaks, auksni
klickitat: qwulhhwaipum
kootenai: kuronoqa, kutenai
koso: panamint
kutenai: asanka,
lipan: naizhan
lower sioux: mdewakanton, wahpekute
lumbee: cheraw
maicopa: pipatsji
makah: kwenetchechat
mandan: metutahanke (after 1837), numakaki (before 1837)
manhattan: rechgawawank
maricopa: xalchidom pii-pash, pipatsje, pee-posh
miami: twightwis, twa-h-twa-h, oumameg
missouri: niutachi
moapa: moapariats
modoc: moatokni, okkowish
mohave: mojave, tzinamaa, ahamakav
mohawk: kanienkahaka, kaniengehage, abenaki
molala: latiwe
mono: monache
moratoc: nottoway
mosopelea: ofom
munsee: minasinink
nanticoke: unalachtgo
navajo: dineh, tenuai, navaho
nez perce: kamuinu, nimipu, tsutpeli, sahaptin,
chopunnish (e)
northern ojibwa: saulteaux
ogallala: okandanda
ojibwa: chippewa, anishinabe,missisauga,saginaw
okanagon: isonkuaili
osage: wakon, wazhazhe
ottawa: adawe
otto: chewaerae
oulaouaes: necariages
paiute: numa
papagos: tohono o'odham, ak-chin, tohono au'autam
passamaquoddy: peskedemakddi
pawnee: pariki, chahiksichahiks, ckirihki kuruuriki, awah.i
pend d'oreilles: kalispel
penobscot: pannawanbskek, penaubsket
pima: onk akimel au-authm, tohono o'odham, a-atam,
akimul au'autam, akimel O'oodham
pit river: achomawi
quapaw: quapah, akansea, ouaguapas
quileute: quil-leh-ute
quinault: qui-nai-elts
sac and fox: sauk, meshkwakihug, fox
sahwnee: shawadasay
salish: okinagan, flathead
sans arc: itazipco
santee: sisseton
saponi: monasukapanough
seminole: ikaniuksalgi, alachua, mikasuki
serrano: cowangachem, mohineyam
shawnee: savannah
shoshone: shoshoni, snake
sioux: lakota, dakota, nakota, isanyati, teton,
ocheti shakowin
sissipahaw: haw
skagit: humaluh
slotas: red river metis
songish: lkungen
southern paiute: numa
st.francis: abenaki
st.regis mohawk: akwesasne, kaniengehage
stockbridge: mahican
susquehanna: susquehannock, conestoga
taidnapam: upper cowlitz
tejas: hasinai, cenis
tenino: melilema
tillamook: killamuck
timucua: utina,acuera
toltec: chiaimeca mochanecatoca
tonkawa: titskan watitch, titskanwatitch, tonkaweya
tubatulabal: bahkanapul, kern river
tunica: yoron
tuscarora: skarure
twana: tuadhu
two kettle: oohenonpa
umpqua: etnemitane
upper chehalis: kwaiailk
upper sioux: sisseton, wahpeton
ute: noochi,notch, nuciu
wampanoag: pokanoket
warm springs: tilkuni
wasco: galasquo
watlala: katlagakya
whilkut: redwood indians
winnebago: winipig
wichita: kitikitish
wishram: ilaxluit, tlakluit
wyandot: huron, talamatans
yakima: waptailmin,pakiutlema
yazoo: chakchiuma
yoncalla: tchayankeld
yuchi: chisa
yuma: quechan, euqchan
zuni: ashiwi,taa ashiwani

http://members.tripod.com/~PHILKON/names.html

Taeller D

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99
>The Nagas/mongoloids would have roamed Asia

Yes But Sino-Tibetan speaking Naga Tribals along with Kachins of Burma arrived
to the presnt location from somewhere in China around 8th century AD along with
the Burmese proper.

The earlier people like Mon of Burma, Khermer of Cambodia and Khasi of India
had arrived considerably earlier as you say in pre history

Taeller D

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99
>Jayawardene is a direct decendant of Vijaya.

I know you are messing with the guy, but for the record, published family
history of Julious Richard Jayawardene says that he is decendant of a Mohamedan
Malabari called Thambi who married a Sinhala women during the colonial period.

pallavan

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
Then why are you barking here like a bitch?

pallavan

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
Fair!
hahahahaaha.........hoooooooooooooooo
Portugese gave the colour!

Umberto Gui wrote:

> pallavan wrote:
>

> > Idiot! Study about Neela Perumal and Nallathambi who were the ancestors
> > of Banda and Jayawardene!
>
> What nonsense.
>

> Jayawardene is a direct decendant of Vijaya.

Umberto Gui

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99

Taeller D wrote:

Hi,

Somthing you might find useful relating the Nagas, just came to my mind, but
unfortunately, I do not have access to my books at the present time.

The University of Peradeniya, History of Sri Lanka vol 1 states that the Sinhalese
have certain distinct skull features.

It mentions that Sinhalese from the North East, have a Mongolic style square
features.

Next Time I see the book, I will make it a point to read up and reproduce the exact
facts.

As I told you before these is very little evidence to prove anything, but my
feeling is that various tribes, during various times in pre-history, overran these
continents and the Mongoloid Nagas who worshipped serpants may have been one of
them.

Umberto Gui

Umberto Gui

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99

Taeller D wrote:

> >Jayawardene is a direct decendant of Vijaya.
>

> I know you are messing with the guy, but for the record, published family
> history of Julious Richard Jayawardene says that he is decendant of a Mohamedan
> Malabari called Thambi who married a Sinhala women during the colonial period.

In his auto biography, he denies this and says that the Dutch word for
spy/intelligence was Tombi, and that his ancesters were Tombi Mudaliyars and were
present at the capture of the Kandyan king, but that his political enemies have
tried to discredit him by saying that he is a Thambi.

I care about his ancestors as much as I care about the Queen or Clinton. As far as
the world is concerned, the Quenn Is British, Clinton is American and jayawardene
is a Sinhalese. But to Tamil fools, the Queen is German, Clinton is Irish and
Jayawardene is either a muslim or a Tamil.

I don't give a fuck.

To me Prabakaran and his followers are coolies and it is the duty of every
civilised society to ensure that these coolies are eliminated.

Umberto Gui

Umberto Gui

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99

pallavan wrote:

> Then why are you barking here like a bitch?

I think you were hearing your own voice.

Umberto Gui

> Umberto Gui wrote:

Umberto Gui

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99

pallavan wrote:

> Fair!
> hahahahaaha.........hoooooooooooooooo
> Portugese gave the colour!

They are Aryans,eh? certainly not black dravidas.

Umberto Gui

pallavan

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
You are a dumb idiot!

pallavan

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
Neela Perumala and nallathambi are good Dravidas1 Then How is this?

Umberto Gui wrote:

Umberto Gui

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99

pallavan wrote:

> You are a dumb idiot!

make up your mind man!

one moment you are saying that I am dumb and the next you are saying
that I am barking like a bitch.

You Tamils are so confusing.

Umberto Gui

> Umberto Gui wrote:
> >
> > pallavan wrote:
> >

> > > Then why are you barking here like a bitch?
> > >

> > I think you were hearing your own voice.
> >
> > Umberto Gui

Umberto Gui

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99

pallavan wrote:

> Neela Perumala and nallathambi are good Dravidas1 Then How is this?

define a good dravida and a bad dravida?

Umberto Gui

> Umberto Gui wrote:

MR LINGA

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
Karthikesu-indirapala was only a student in History when he wrote his Ph.d
thesis. ONE cannot attach much importence to a thesis written for the purpose
of obtaining a Ph.d. AS i suggested earlier if you read books written by the
well known historians-some of the names i supplied in my previous post they
totally contardict what indirapala had stated in his Ph.d thesis. Furthermore
it is a known fact that Indrapala's cast bias(kovia or tanakara) also would
have made him approach Jaffna history with a personal feeling. That is the
reason his thesis has a pro-sihala anti- tamil approach. Indrapala also would
have said things which are subjective and sensational to earn his Ph.d. I now
understand that HE LATER(AFTER BECOMING PROFESSORwith more reading
andknowledge)changed his view points and admitted that there were Dravidian
settlements in Eelam long before the arrival of the first kalla thoni Vijaya.

Umberto Gui

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99

MR LINGA wrote:

Indrapala got his PhD from London University under the supervision of Dr
Casparis, the foremost authority attached to the Schools of African and Oriental
Studies of the London University.

Are you suggesting that the London University granted him a PhD on inaccurate
findings?

I doubt it.

Karthigesu was later Prof of History at Jaffna University and is a highly
respected Tamil scholer. You may not like him because he does not say what you
want.

None of those whom you mentioned in your list were acedemic historians like
Indrapala, but, second degree historians like Mudaliyar Rasanayagam who wrote
Ancient Jaffna long before Indrapala and spoke of the Tanakaras and the Kovias.

He too could not deny the ultimate truth.......

Ancient Jaffna

Slab Inscription of Queen Lilavati

By Mudaliyar C Rasanayagam

first Edition 1926

Extracts from "Ancient Jaffna" by Mudaliyar C
Rasanayagam (1926).

Page 384

"That Jaffna was occupied by the Sinhalese earlier than by the Tamils is seen not
only in the place names of Jaffna, but also in
some of the habits and customs of the people. The system of branding cattle with
the communal brand by which not only the
caste but also the position and the family of the owner could be traced, was
peculiarly Sinhalese. The very ancient way of
wearing the hair in the form of a konde behind the head.....The women's fashion
of dressing their cloth across their breasts and
mens of wearing their tufts of hair on the side of the head, as was the custom in
Jaffna, were introduced by the Malabar
immigrants."

Page v (Foreward)

" Dr. S. Krishnaswami Aiyangar of the Madras University writing on 29.8.1926 the
Foreword to Ancient Jaffna by Mudaliyar
C. Rasanayagam says: "The attempt of the author to derive the name Ilam does not
appeal to us as quite successful; Ilam to us
seems to be directly derived from the Pali word Sihalam, which in Tamil would be
Singalam or even Singanam, but a strict
Tamilising would make it Ilam...." Ancient Jaffna-Mudaliyar C Rasanayagam
(Foreword p. v.).

Page 382

" After the massacre of the Christians, Sankili's ( king of Jaffna) insane fury
longed for more victims and he fell upon the
Buddhists of Jaffna who were all Sinhalese. He expelled them beyond the limits of
the country and destroyed their numerous
places of worship. Most of them betook themselves to the Vanni's and the Kandyan
territories (as per Yalpana Vaipava Malai
by Mailvagana Pulavar translated by C Brito.), and those who were unable to do so
became the slaves of the Tamil chieftains
and are now known as 'Kovia', a corruption of the Sinhalese word ' Goviya' or
'Goiya' and that their original status was equal
to that of the Vellalas can be inferred from customs which are still in Vogue in
Jaffna. The 'Tanakaras' and the 'Nalavas' of
Jaffna should also be considered Sinhalese remnants in spite of the fanciful
derivation of the word 'Nalava' given by the author
of the Vaipava Malai. The Nalavas were perhaps originally the Sinhalese climbers
and received the Tamil name on account of
their peculiar way of climbing trees. They too became the slaves of the Tamil
chieftains. The Tanakaras were the ancient
elephant keepers and those who supplied the necessary fodder to the stables of
the king. ( Sinhalese: Tana=grass). They
perhaps on account of the service rendered by them were not expelled from the
country and later became inseparably mixed
with the Tamils among whom they had to remain.........the fact that the Kovias,
Tanakaras and Nalavas were originally
Sinhalese can be seen from the peculiar dress of their women who wear the inner
end of their cloth over the shoulders in a
manner quite strange to the genuine Tamils."

Page 179

" Upon the introduction of copious Pali and Sanskrit works, a new language (
Sinhalese) came into existence, with a ground
work of Elu ( language spoken by Yakkha,Naga) and Tamil and the superstructure of
Pali and Sanskrit....In a similar manner
were formed Malayalam and Telugu; from their copious vocabulary of Sanskritic
words it is now almost impossible to trace
their origin to dravidian dialects. While the process of forming the Sinhalese
nation was going on by the continual mixture of the
Yakkhas, the Nagas, the Tamils and the Kalingas(Vijaya), the Sinhalese language
too was growing and expanding.....Thus it
will be seen that the mixed population from Point Pedro ( in the north) to Dondra
Head (in the South) known by the name
Sinhalam.........during the early centuries of the Christian era, spoken one
language. This propersition is further supported by
most of the place names in Jaffna which have an Elu or semi-Sinhalese origin.
They became divided only when the Vannis came
in and intervened between them. From that time the people in the North became
estranged from their brethren in the centre and
the south and progressed altogether on Tamil lines, whereas the Sinhalese grew
into a new nation absorbing into themselves
even the millions of pure Tamils who remained in Central and Southern Ceylon
after the Chola (Tamil invaders) power had
declined....a process which can be witnessed even today in the western coast. The
difference must have accentuated after the
downfall of Buddhism in Southern India, and after a large number of new Tamil
colonists began to settle down in Northern
Ceylon, for we find that even from the 10th to the 15th centuryAD the Sinhalese
eliment was so strong in the North that there
were constant troubles between the Sinhalese and the Tamils in Jaffna. (as per
Yalpana Vaipava Malai by Mailvagana Pulavar
translated by C Brito.) "

Page 250

" Some others are of the opinion that 'Yalpanam' is the Tamil adaptation of the
Sinhalese name 'Yapane', which like many other
Sinhalese names of places in the district existed prior to the Tamil
occupation......It is not at all surprising to see the name
appearing in Sinhalese and Indian works earlier than in Tamil writings in Jaffna,
for it appears that the application of the name
for the whole district did not become popular among the inhabitants until the
Portuguese period."

Page 37

"Now it is rather significant that Manarridal was the name given to Jaffna in the
'Yalpana Vaipava Malai', and that the name
Veligama (sandy district), a Sinhalese name with the same meaning was given to a
portion of Jaffna by the
Sinhalese.(Valigama..Valigamam..Valikamam)"

Page 42

"The Mahabharatha, which mentions..........Vavravahan the son of Chitrangadai by
Arjuna......It is also said that Vavravahan,
while fighting against Arjuna, 'raised his standard which was decorated most
beautifully, and which bore the device of a lion in
gold' ..........This standard displaying a lion appears, therefore to have been
the one used by the Naga kings of North Ceylon (
Naga and Yakkas...before arrival of Vijaya and later Tamils)......the standard of
the lion, which appears to have been the
emblem of the Nagas of North Ceylon, continued to be the flag of the Ceylon king
till the Island was ceded to the British in
1815 AD."

Page 52

" But, according to a local tradition which still exists, and which has been
embodied in the 'Yalpana Vaipava Malai', Vijaya
landed on the northern coast of Jaffna and took up his residence at
Kadiramalai....... It is said that Vijaya, who was
undoubtedly a Hindu, built the temple called Tirutambalesvaram in the North of
Ceylon. This temple must have been built near
the present Kirimalai, as there are lands in the vicinity still going under the
name of Tirutampalai. Tamba is the Sanskrit word for
copper; and the Tambapanni of the Sinhalese chronicler can therefore quite
conceivably be the 'Tirutambalesvaram' mentioned
in the 'Yalpana Vaipava Malai' "

Page 5

"In the Mahabharatha the Nagas are frequently mentioned as living in various
parts of India and Ceylon in a highly civilized state
under their own kings.....Nagpur ( Nagapuram), Nagarjuna Kills, Nagarcoil,
Nagarcot, Nargapattinum etc."

Page 59

"Waves of conquest and colonisation ....names of places translated into tongue of
the invaders or settlers . Kadiramalai
(Naga)... Kadiragoda(Sinhalese). ..Kandergoda.. ..Kandercudde.. ..Kantarrodai..
..Odaikurichchi.. .Kantarodai (Tamil) ...The
discovery of extensive Buddhistic archaelogical remains and large quantities of
Indian and Roman coins affords ample testimony
to its ancient greatness.......... The other Tamil name Katirkamam is the literal
transformation of the Sinhalese name Kataragama
and has no connection with the Tamil components ' Katir'(divine glory) and
'kamam' (love), a resemblance seen through
religious fervor only. The tradition mentioned in the 'Yalpana Vaipava Malai'
that Vijaya built a temple for 'Kadirai Andavar'
might possibly have referred to the temple at Kataragama."

Page 332

" Bhuvaneka Bahu (Kotte) who caused the Jaffna Town and the Nalur temple to be
built was known as Sri Sanghabodhi, a title
borne by the Sinhalese kings....In the Kattiyam ( daily repeated at the
Kandaswamy Temple) too he is referred to as Sri
Sangabodhi Bhuvaneka Bahu."

Page 62

" Jambukola ( now Sambu turai in Jaffna) was the port of disembarkation of the
Buddhist emigrants from Magadha during the
time of Devanampiya Tissa. A great trunk road seem to have been in existence,
leading from Jambukola and passing through
Kantarodai and running parallel to the present central road to the northern gate
of Anuradhapura. The remains of two stone
bridges, one over the Malvatu oya......... The Ambassadors sent by Devanampiya
Tissa to king Asoka of Magadha embarked
at Jumbukola and reached Pataliputra in 14 days; and Asoka's ambassadors, sent to
Ceylon landed at Jambukola and reached
Anuradhapura in 12 days ( Mahavamsa).......Sangamitta and the Bo tree landed at
Jambukola...of the first eight plants (Bo)
raised out of the seed of the tree planted at Anuradhapura, one was planted at
Jambukola Patuna on the spot where the Bo
tree was deposited at disembarkation. The very old Bo tree standing by the side
of the Paralay Kandaswamy temple at
Chulipuram, about half a mile from the Port was perhaps the plant here referred
to..... Devanampiya Tissa erected a vihare at
the port of Jambukola in Nagadipa; likewise the Tissa maha vihare and the Pacina
Vihare. The ruins of a dagoba and a vihare
can still be seen close to the port; and the place called Tissa maluva about a
hundred yards opposite to the Kandaswamy
temple above mentioned, perhaps marks the site of Tissa maha vihare. The ancient
broad road from Jambukola to Tissa maha
vihare still exists but serves no useful purpose."

Page 117

" Anoubingara (on Ptolomy's map) can be traced to Singai Nagar (in Jaffna) or
Sinhapura, a town built and occupied by
Kalinga colonists who accompanied Vijaya and who are said to have landed at
Mahisadipa. It came into prominence and fame
during the time of the later Jaffna kings called Arya Chakravartis and its
extensive ruins can still be seen at Vallipuram near
Point Pedro.( Singa Nagar was trans formed to Ana Singara and then Anubingara by
foreign merchants.)"

Page 190

" In the early days when buddhism flourished in North Ceylon, the outlying
islands off the coast of Jaffna contained important
monasteries and viharas... "

Page 309

"Kings of Jaffna belonged to, claimed connection with or imitated the Eastern
gangas ( Ganges) who went from Gangavadi and
settled at Kalinga. If the earliest kings of Jaffna came from amongst them, it
must have been Ugra Singan, for it was after this
time that the kings ruling in the north were called Kalingas. Whether Ugra Singan
was a member of the Eastern Gangas or not,
he came down with a large army of Kalingas to secure the throne of Kadiramalai
for himself. As it is said in the Vaipava Malai
that he was 'a prince of a dynasty founded by King Vijaya's brother' it may be
surmised that he was a member of one of the
Kalinga families that came with Vijaya and settled at Singai Nagar (Sinhapura)
near Vallipuram.

Page 370

The following is a list of kings who reigned at Singai Nagar (Sinhapura) Jaffna
from the 13th to the middle of the 15 th century
is adapted from the Vaipava Malai giving probable dates.

Vijaya Kulankai (Kalinga Magha)
Segarajasekeran
c 1210 AD
Kulasekara
Pararajasekeran
c 1246 AD
Kulottunga
Segarajasekeran
c 1256 AD
Vikrama
Pararajasekeran

Varotaya
Segarajasekeran

Martanda
Pararajasekeran

Gunapushana
Segarajasekeran

Virotaya
Pararajasekeran

Jayavira
Segarajasekeran

Gunavira
Pararajasekeran

Kanagasuriya
Segarajasekeran

Bhuvaneka Bahu (of Kotte)

Jaffna kings used alternate names such as Pararajasekaran, Segarajasekaran etc...
look at their real names ( first column).

pallavan

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
Not only Tamils are confused, but they have hired Sinhalese idiots too!

Umberto Gui wrote:

> pallavan wrote:
>

> > You are a dumb idiot!
> >

> make up your mind man!
>
> one moment you are saying that I am dumb and the next you are saying
> that I am barking like a bitch.
>
> You Tamils are so confusing.
>

> Umberto Gui
>

> > Umberto Gui wrote:

> > > I think you were hearing your own voice.
> > >

> > > Umberto Gui

pallavan

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
Don't you you know the definition?

Neela Perumal, Nalla Thambi, Tennakone, Alaha Kone, Weera Kone, Herath
Mudiyanselage , Warna Kula Suriya, Athulath Mudali.., etc...

Umberto Gui wrote:

> pallavan wrote:
>

> > Neela Perumala and nallathambi are good Dravidas1 Then How is this?
> >

> define a good dravida and a bad dravida?
>

> Umberto Gui
>

> > Umberto Gui wrote:

pallavan

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
England's policy is different.
Fool like Anura got admitted to oxford.. Why?
Colonial ideas are different!

nm58

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99

pallavan wrote:

> Not only Tamils are confused, but they have hired Sinhalese idiots too!

Did you think that we are idiots like the dravida black coolies?

naaaa.

Umberto Gui

> Umberto Gui wrote:
> >
> > pallavan wrote:
> >

> > > You are a dumb idiot!
> > >

> > make up your mind man!
> >
> > one moment you are saying that I am dumb and the next you are saying
> > that I am barking like a bitch.
> >
> > You Tamils are so confusing.
> >

> > Umberto Gui

Umberto Gui

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99

pallavan wrote:

> Don't you you know the definition?
>
> Neela Perumal, Nalla Thambi, Tennakone, Alaha Kone, Weera Kone, Herath
> Mudiyanselage , Warna Kula Suriya, Athulath Mudali.., etc...

There are no coolies in Tamil Nadu with such names.

Umberto Gui

Umberto Gui

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99

pallavan wrote:

> England's policy is different.
> Fool like Anura got admitted to oxford.. Why?
> Colonial ideas are different!

Perhaps Anura is a lesser fool that most coolies?

Umberto Gui

pallavan

Jun 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/22/99
Dravida coolies are smarter than the Sinhalese!
Look at Neela Perumal!

pallavan

Jun 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/22/99
You are so dumb idiot! All these fellows came from South India!

Umberto Gui wrote:

Umberto Gui

Jun 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/22/99

pallavan wrote:

> You are so dumb idiot! All these fellows came from South India!

Show me a Weerakoon in South India?

ha ha ha ha ha hah ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Umberto Gui

Umberto Gui

Jun 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/22/99

pallavan wrote:

> Dravida coolies are smarter than the Sinhalese!
> Look at Neela Perumal!

I that what they say behind the bushes?

Umberto Gui

pallavan

Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99
Go and see!

pallavan

Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99
You are blaming Chandrika's family!

Umberto Gui wrote:

Umberto Gui

Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99

pallavan wrote:

> Go and see!

I have been and nere saw one.

Better than that, type in Weerakoon or any of the other names into an internet
search engin and see the response.

Fool.

Umberto Gui

> Umberto Gui wrote:
> >
> > pallavan wrote:
> >

> > > You are so dumb idiot! All these fellows came from South India!
> > >

> > Show me a Weerakoon in South India?
> >
> > ha ha ha ha ha hah ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
> >
> > Umberto Gui

Umberto Gui

Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99

pallavan wrote:

> You are blaming Chandrika's family!

Why should I blame my wives family?

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hah a ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha h aha ha ha

Tamil fool.

Umberto Gui

pallavan

Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99
Thousands of KONEs are living in tamil nadu! Parangis even do not know
much about themselves then how about others?

pallavan

Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99
Hahahahahahahahah
So, you mixed with the Tamil coolies!

Umberto Gui wrote:

> pallavan wrote:
>

> > You are blaming Chandrika's family!
>
> Why should I blame my wives family?
>

> ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hah a ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
> ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha h aha ha ha
>
> Tamil fool.
>
> Umberto Gui

Umberto Gui

Jun 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/24/99

pallavan wrote:

> Hahahahahahahahah
> So, you mixed with the Tamil coolies!

he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he

Yes, I am married to those Irish/German Kings of Lanka.

he he he he he he he he he he he he he he

Umberto Gui

Umberto Gui

Jun 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/24/99

pallavan wrote:

> Thousands of KONEs are living in tamil nadu! Parangis even do not know
> much about themselves then how about others?

WE have no KONEs in Sri Lanka.

We have Koon.

Weerakoon.

type it into a search engin and see.

Umberto Gui

pallavan

Jun 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/24/99
Koon and Kone are same idiot!

pallavan

Jun 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/24/99
So, go and fight with the IRA!

Umberto Gui wrote:

Umberto Gui

Jun 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/24/99

pallavan wrote:

> Koon and Kone are same idiot!

Ice cream KONE?

Umberto Gui

Jun 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/24/99

pallavan wrote:

> So, go and fight with the IRA!

I do, from time to Time.

I listened to the LTTE and the IRA talking a few years back about
setting up a political party like Shin Fein.

Umberto Gui

pallavan

Jun 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/24/99
Idiot dumb!
Go and study tamil to understand the Sinhala history!

pallavan

Jun 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/24/99
Did you give the idea?

Umberto Gui wrote:

Umberto Gui

Jun 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/25/99

pallavan wrote:

> Did you give the idea?

I am full of ideas. I am an original thinker. I am sure you might have
noticed by now.

Umberto Gui

Umberto Gui

Jun 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/25/99

pallavan wrote:

> Idiot dumb!
> Go and study tamil to understand the Sinhala history!

Didn't you say that we had Sinhala only?
How can you study Tamil in a Sinhala only country?
Umberto Gui

pallavan

Jun 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/25/99
Sinhala only is a failure! Don't you know that?

pallavan

Jun 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/25/99
hahahahahahahaahahahahahahah
ideas.. Are your ideas creating so much trouble in SL?

Umberto Gui wrote:

Umberto Gui

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99

pallavan wrote:

> Sinhala only is a failure! Don't you know that?

Then why are Tamils in Jaffna talking to soldiers in Sinhalese?

Umberto Gui

pallavan

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
Because the idiot Sinhala soldier know only SINHALA ONLY!

Umberto Gui

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99

pallavan wrote:

> Because the idiot Sinhala soldier know only SINHALA ONLY!

good.

He knows that he is in Sinhala dvipa and that colonisers and immigrants
should speak to him in Sinhala as immigrants in Germany should speak to
a German soldier in German.

Umberto Gui

pallavan

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
Parangi is crying!

Umberto Gui

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99

pallavan wrote:

> Parangi is crying!

Why?

because Tamils are speaking Sinhalese in jaffna and a million Tamils are
getting Sinhalese in Colombo because the great one chased them out?

I am smiling.

Umberto Gui

pallavan

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
Your UNP is the main donar to the Eelam cause and LTTE will thrive
again!

nm58

Jun 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/28/99

pallavan wrote:

> Your UNP is the main donar to the Eelam cause and LTTE will thrive
> again!

Yes. The Labour party is the main doner to the IRA and the IRA will thrive again.

Umberto Gui

pallavan

Jun 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/28/99
hahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahhahhahahhah
Sakkili Parangi is unable to open his mouth against UNP.....
hoooooooooooooooooo...

Umberto Gui

Jun 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/28/99

pallavan wrote:

> hahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahhahhahahhah
> Sakkili Parangi is unable to open his mouth against UNP.....
> hoooooooooooooooooo...

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Have you read me opening my mouth against the PA? or the CP, or the LSSP or the SLFP?

he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he

ignorent baffoon.

Umberto Gui

pallavan

Jun 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/29/99
PA, LSSP, SLFP or CP never give arm and ammunitions to LTTE. Only UNP
sakkilies cry and come to Ottawa to get support for LTTE. If you are
really against LTTE, you must identify those who support LTTE. UNP
openly support and helped the LTTE for all its crimes.

Why are you silent?

Because you are too a paid coolie like Anton Balasingham!

Umberto Gui

Jun 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/29/99

pallavan wrote:

> PA, LSSP, SLFP or CP never give arm and ammunitions to LTTE.

You are mis-informed.

> Only UNP
> sakkilies cry and come to Ottawa to get support for LTTE.

Didn't Chandrika go to Jaffna and Madras and talk to the LTTE and other militants with her
husband?

You have forgotten my friend.

I am not a baffoon like you, and I have reasons for my positions that I take as I may be
better informed that you.

> If you are
> really against LTTE, you must identify those who support LTTE.

You want me the identify Chandrika who exchanged letters with Praba?

> UNP
> openly support and helped the LTTE for all its crimes.

Chandrika did not?
When the UNP was in Power?

> Why are you silent?

because I have access to things that you do not have access to and therefore may be aware
of certain things which are not in public domain.

> Because you are too a paid coolie like Anton Balasingham!

As you wish.

Umberto Gui

pallavan

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99