SYL Abducted

Neil Hutchings

May 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/2/97

May 2, 1997

Maandeeq (Hasheydii) was abducted long time ago!

Mr. Daud, you raised very important issue that demand an in-depth
discussion. One of the things we ignore as Somalis is to celebrate
those who served our country with grace . We have to shake off the
bloody shackles the confine our thinking adventures along the
tribal lines. In the Somali history, the thirteen SYL young men
fare second to our national hero, the "Sayyid".

Said that, exploring our recent history does not demand to go
that far. Several of thirteen young guys were met by many in our
generation. Some of them are still alive. Yet, our society being an
oral society it is not very uncommon that we submit our history
through narration. As a curious student, I once happened to be the
right time at the right place. One of my friends father, who grew
up in Yemen gave this account.

The brain child of SYL was Sakhawaddin, his right hand was Hagi
Mohammed Hussein. These two were Banadiri religious scholars.
Moreover, Haji Mohammed Hussein was trained in Egypt, and he was
endowed with poetic talents. The two endeavoured in recruiting
young men. Haji Mohammed Hussein travelled to all Somali
communities outside Somalia selling the idea. It was one of those
tours that my friend's father met the Hagi in Yemen. He
characterized this man, Hagi Mohammed Hussein as a charismatic
leader and an eloquent speaker whose mission was not only to fight
colonialism, but also to strive towards achieving "Greater
Somalia".

According to my understanding, the seeds of modern day's " Somalia
Fiasco" was sown in 1955 when the Italians were given the
Trusteeship Mandate. Reasons are the following:

- The Italians, like most of the western world who were involved in
Somalia affairs, never liked the SYL, for SYL established in the
hearts of the most Somalis a "national identity", where being
Somali was more important than belonging to a clan.

- On the eve of trusteeship mandate, the SYL split into two groups,
one group favouring the Italian mandate, while the other group
rejected. The later group, categorized as hardliners- colonial
euphemism for nationalists- were led by figures like Hagi Mohammed
Hussein and Sheikh Ali Jumaale. While the "so-called moderates"
included young men like Aden Abdulla Osman and Abdullahi Isse.
The moderates won and the Italians were on their way to Mogadishu,
when Haji Mohammed Hussein sensing the eminent reprisals against
his groups views fled for Cairo, the night before the Italian
landing.

What followed was imprisoning and prosecution of nationalists by
the Italian and their "favourites" - my word for the moderates.
This dimmed the torch handed over to these nationalists by the
preaching of the Sayyid and Sakhawaddiin. Hagi Mohammed Hussein
returned only after incessant demonstrations by the people of
Mogadishu. By that time the "Dakhiliya" was formed and Abdullahi
Isse was the prime Minister. SYL loyalists, who were not part of
the "Dakhiliya" invited Hagi M. Hussein to lead their party, hoping
that he will redirect them to the path. On the eve of his return,
Mogadishu was vibrating with emotions and great anticipation for
his famous uncompromising speeches. In his speech, that night he
accused the "Dakhiliya" ministers of trading SYL principles
for big houses and cars provided to them by the colonial masters,
while ignoring the cause of the downtrodden masses who sacrificed
their lives at the front lines in the fight for freedom. After the
speech, the Haji was jailed by the colonial police.

Sheikh Ali Jumale, the only prominent survivor among the group was
released and left alone for two reasons:

- Sheikh Ali Jumaale's stronghold was Beletweyne, also the home of
the newly anointed leaders (Abdullahi Isse and Aden Abdulle
Osman). The latter two convinced their masters that their political
bases will erode if the Sheikh is kept in Jail.

- Sheikh Ali Jumale, unlike Haji Mohammed Hussein who was Banadiri,
had the wide support of Hawadle and some portions of the Hawiye. He
knew how to play a clan politics card.

Now, the question is: who victimized the likes of Hagi Mohammed
Hussein? In my own humble analysis, I concluded that it was nomadic
invasion of Somalia's politics. Nomads brought into the Somali
politics a group identity which promote the clan loyalty, rather
than personal merits. Shifting alliances based on clan affiliations
bloomed in somali politics.

The Hawiye-Darod alliance took over the SYL, which later in post-
independence precipitated into "Muddulood" -"Majertein" alliance
forming a government.

Furthermore, let us not forget the trendy mindthink in the sixties:
" Nationalist sowed the seeds for the freedom, while the colonial
collaborators reaped the fruits". That phenomena, was not only
unique in Somalia, but it happened throughout Africa. A good
example is Patrice Lamumba vis-a-vis Mabuto Sese seko. While
Lamumba fought for the freedom, a CIA agent named Mobuto killed him
and took over.

Those who did not know how to conduct business with their colonial
masters vanished in their graves, with no history. Why? Because
history is written by our colonial masters and their students. That
is why I avoid using "their" books as a reference in this topic
that is very intimate to us- somalis only.

This contribution of mine is in memory of our "unsung heroes". Take
a time to remember heroes like:
The "Sayyid", Sakhawaddiin, Hagi Mohammed Hussein, Sheikh Ali
Jumale, Patrice Lamumbe, Thomas N'kara... and all the ones that
history will judge positively.

Mr. Daud, in short, the answer is: yes the founders of SYL had
political ambitions, but their visions were impeded from the
Nomad's world of of politics.

This is my humble deduction from the conversation I had with this
old timer. With our clan infested minds, I know that many will rush
to find out which clan I belong to, then later judge my
contribution in clan context. Let me tell you, I am only a middle
aged Somali who when dreaming of the beautiful beaches and roaring
waves of the indian ocean wishes not to wake up, however when
striving to make ends meet in this wilderness of western
civilization wishes to make it look like a dream in a long and
lethargic sleep.

By the way, let us not forget the civilian government of Aden
Abdulla, at least stepped down when they were voted out. This is a
great plus by African standards. That, we should applaud.

Aweys Warsame Yusuf

Amina Mire

May 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/6/97

Dear Aweys:
I must say that while reading this article tears came to my eyes
several times. Dear brother, the fact, not many of us seem to want to
talk about what happened to our nonclanist urban communities such as
banadiri and
others shows how these communities have been historically marginalized
throughout Somalia history.
I also agree with you that it is not worthy of your efforts to read various
accounts of Somalia written by the children of the colonial
masters (metaphorically speaking of course).
Dear brother, I left Somalia in 1983, a way before the civil war has
destroyed the country. I used to visit when ever refugees
from Somalia come to my city (Winnipeg, Canada).
The interesting thing was, for the most part, they seem to have no
concern for the country at all. They would talk about their clansmen
or their families
but not the country as a whole. Then came a young rear Xamar accountant
who is a son of one of the Somali families who fought for the
liberation of Somalia from the Italian colonialism, he was the first
person who told me, in clear and coherent manner, what happened
to the country (especially in Xamar).

Some of the scenes which he told me are reoccuring images in my
mind like the following scene: During the height of the Bililiqo, a
bunch of nomads came and destroyed the Sidam
institute. He told me how one nomad mistakenly took a computer monitor
for a T.V. . the man loaded the monitor in a back of a demeer and
remarked he will watched it tonight!

The fact, our national infrastructure was gutted by nomads raises the
question of whether the nomads can have a modern polity.
That is, but because the nomads romanticize the camels more then modern
institutions does not answer the question of those non-Nomad Somalis who
built these institutions but who lack nomadic clan protection to keep
them from the destruction of the Nomads!.
This is an issue which must be dealt with if new, and better Somalia,
which have space both the Nomads and the non-Nomads is, at least to be
dreamed about.
As for dreaming about the Ocean, two weeks before I left Somalia, I
went to Merka, where I spent for two weeks, swimming, eating and
simply enoying watching the waves of blue ocean!.
beside my beloved mother, it is an image which hauntes me upto this
this day. But it is also an idealized point of reference which I go
back to time and again.
I am a nomadic by heritage but I can see the succent meaning in your arguments.
Sincerely,
Amina Mire

: Maandeeq (Hasheydii) was abducted long time ago!