Moldova/Romania News from RFE/RL, 11/09/92

Mihai Sirbu

Nov 9, 1992, 12:15:40 PM11/9/92
To subscribe to the RFE/RL daily bulletin send e-mail to
LIST...@UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU
with a line
SUB RFERL-L firstname lastname
RFE/RL Daily Report No. 216, 9 November 1992

LEFT-BANK MOLDOVANS APPEAL TO WORLD. In an appeal to international
human rights bodies, the CSCE, and the US government, forwarded on
4 November, hundreds of parents of Moldovan school children on the
left bank of the Dniester called attention to the "Dniester
republic"'s recent measures imposing the Cyrillic script in place
of the Latin for the "Moldovan" language, reducing instruction in
that language, replacing Moldovan textbooks with Russian-language
textbooks from the communist era, and closing down all local
Moldovan newspapers and radio programs. The appeal further noted
that the "Dniester republic" is taking these measures under the
protection of Russia's 14th Army based there and "under the
pretext of defending the Russian-speaking population." The parents
appealed for the sending of fact-finding missions to the scene and
for international action to restore legitimate authority in the
area. (Vladimir Socor, RFE/RL, Inc.)

WESTERN MISSIONS IN CHISINAU. Germany, which earlier this year
established diplomatic relations with Moldova at embassy level,
opened its mission in Chisinau on 5 November, the Moldovan media
reported. On the same day Israel opened in Chisinau an
Information and Cultural Center. On 3 November, Sweden's
ambassador to Moldova presented his letters of accreditation to
President Mircea Snegur, Moldovapres reported. Snegur appealed to
Sweden, whose Foreign Minister is due shortly to assume the
chairmanship of the CSCE Council of Ministers, to help involve the
CSCE in peacekeeping operations on the Dniester and in the
political settlement of the conflict and also in monitoring the
stalled Moldovan-Russian negotiations on the withdrawal of
Russia's 14th Army from Moldova. (Vladimir Socor, RFE/RL, Inc.)

ROMANIAN PRIME MINISTER DESIGNATE WANTS STABLE GOVERNMENT.
Nicolae Vacaroiu told Adevarul on 6 November that he intended to
form a government "to last four years, even if one or another of
its members may change." Vacaroiu, who is a non-affiliated
financial expert, suggested that his top priority would be the
economy. He said that his main targets were to ensure monetary
stability and tighten control over state-owned enterprises without
impeding privatization. Vacaroiu pledged to present his cabinet's
short-term program to the parliament by the end of the week. (Dan
Ionescu, RFE/RL, Inc.)

--
The RFE/RL Daily Report is produced by the RFE/RL Research
Institute (a division of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Inc.)

Copyright 1992, RFE/RL, Inc. All rights reserved.

Alexander Mihai Popovici

Nov 9, 1992, 2:19:27 PM11/9/92
In article <1992Nov9.1...@umr.edu>, msi...@next5.cs.umr.edu (Mihai Sirbu) writes:
|> RFE/RL Daily Report No. 216, 9 November 1992
|>
|> LEFT-BANK MOLDOVANS APPEAL TO WORLD. In an appeal to international
|> human rights bodies, the CSCE, and the US government, forwarded on
|> 4 November, hundreds of parents of Moldovan school children on the
|> left bank of the Dniester called attention to the "Dniester
|> republic"'s recent measures imposing the Cyrillic script in place
|> of the Latin for the "Moldovan" language, reducing instruction in
|> that language, replacing Moldovan textbooks with Russian-language
|> textbooks from the communist era, and closing down all local
|> Moldovan newspapers and radio programs. The appeal further noted
|> that the "Dniester republic" is taking these measures under the
|> protection of Russia's 14th Army based there and "under the
|> pretext of defending the Russian-speaking population." The parents
|> appealed for the sending of fact-finding missions to the scene and
|> for international action to restore legitimate authority in the
|> area. (Vladimir Socor, RFE/RL, Inc.)

This is revolting. What can we do about this?

Mihai