searching for internet sites for learning provençal etc.

Aleksi Reenpää

Oct 10, 2002, 9:17:02 AM10/10/02
Hi to all and apologies for writing in English.

I'm interest in learning provençal, langue d'oc and other minority
languages of France as well. Does anybody know ANY sites that might
offer me information on the net?!

amities,

Aleksi

xave

Oct 10, 2002, 11:53:51 AM10/10/02
First lesson : provençal and "langue d'òc" are not differents languages.
What you call "langue d'òc" is a language called occitan.
Provençal is an occitan dialect, as well as gascon, lengadocian (the most
expanded), lemosin and auvernhat are.

Amistats occitanas.

Gianni V.

Oct 14, 2002, 4:40:27 AM10/14/02
Aleksi Reenpää <chi...@se.sei.interessato> wrote in message news:<3DA57DCE...@se.sei.interessato>...

> I'm interest in learning provençal, langue d'oc and other minority
> languages of France as well.

As Xavier pointed out Provençal and Langue d'oc are the same written
language. Provençal is mostly used to refer to mediaeval texts,
whereas Langue d'oc or Occitan are used for contemporary texts.

In terms of *spoken* language, Provençal is one of the southern
occitan dialects.

The confusion arises from the fact that in the middle ages it was
customary to use the name of a dialect to refer to the whole language
(e.g., 'lemozi')

> Does anybody know ANY sites that might
> offer me information on the net?!

http://occitanet.free.fr

G.

Aleksi Reenpää

Oct 15, 2002, 7:19:12 AM10/15/02
Gianni V. wrote:

> As Xavier pointed out Provençal and Langue d'oc are the same written
> language. Provençal is mostly used to refer to mediaeval texts,
> whereas Langue d'oc or Occitan are used for contemporary texts.

OK, I guess I've been misled. I remember getting my information from
www.sil.org and it's ethonology database, which should be pretty
trustworthy.

> http://occitanet.free.fr

Merci bkup!

Aleksi

Gianni V.

Oct 17, 2002, 6:31:43 AM10/17/02
Aleksi Reenpää <chi...@se.sei.interessato> wrote in message news:<3DABF9B0...@se.sei.interessato>...

> OK, I guess I've been misled. I remember getting my information from
> www.sil.org and it's ethonology database, which should be pretty
> trustworthy.

No. It's pure BS wrt European languages. It's more trustworthy wrt
African or Asian languages. BTW it's maintained by Protestant
missionaries, NOT by linguists!

G.

Aleksi Reenpää

Oct 17, 2002, 10:29:56 AM10/17/02
Gianni V. wrote:

> No. It's pure BS wrt European languages. It's more trustworthy wrt
> African or Asian languages. BTW it's maintained by Protestant
> missionaries, NOT by linguists!

OK, thanks for this. Yes, I'm aware that the people who maintain the
site are bible-translator but I also thought they knew about
linguistics. So, Occitan is just _one_ language? And thus, speakers of
one dialect, for example, Auvergnat, can understand the speakers of another?

Aleksi

Gianni V.

Oct 18, 2002, 11:08:52 AM10/18/02
Aleksi Reenpää <chi...@se.sei.interessato> wrote in message news:<3DAEC964...@se.sei.interessato>...

> OK, thanks for this. Yes, I'm aware that the people who maintain the
> site are bible-translator but I also thought they knew about
> linguistics. So, Occitan is just _one_ language?

Yes.

> And thus, speakers of
> one dialect, for example, Auvergnat, can understand the speakers of another?

I would say it depends on people's exposure on different dialects.
Someone who's never travelled far from his home village might have
trouble conversing with someone from an area where a pretty different
dialect is spoken, e.g., Gascon.
Someone who's been exposed to several dialects will have less trouble
or even no trouble at all.

But it's the same with French! My sister once performed as a
'French-to-French translator' between two girls from Québec and a girl
from Toulouse. They could simply *not* understand each other.

--
Gianni [fr,it,en,oc,hu,de,ca(,es,ru,ro)]
nassuu a Milan (IT-MI)

Pau entre pobles, guerra entre classes