Average Height by Country

Tadas Blinda

Feb 9, 2009, 2:39:28 AM2/9/09

Nigeria 167,00
North Korea 165,60
India 165,00
Vietnam 164,10
Philippines 164,00
Mexico 163,00
Indonesia 163,00
Cambodia 162,50

[One has to wonder how reliable this is. It's hard to imagine any
country at all having at its fingertips the statistics on height of
100% of males age 18-30 years in that country, so presumably for each
country the average height is based only on a partial sample. Not all
countires are represented. I notice Latvia is missing.

On these figures, for what it's worth {not much, curiosity value only}
it does seem that there is a tendency to relative talllness in
Germanic, particularly Scandinavian, genes. Seven of the tallest ten
countries (Netherlands, Iceland, Denmark, Germany, Austria, Sweden,
Norway) are Germanic (4 Sandinavian) and it would be fair to assume
that the other three (Czech Republic, Croatia, Hungary) have a certain
percentage of Germanic genes.]

Dmitry

Feb 10, 2009, 4:00:13 PM2/10/09

And women are missing too. The above stats are hardly creadible.

> On these figures, for what it's worth {not much, curiosity value only}
> it does seem that there is a tendency to relative talllness in
> Germanic, particularly Scandinavian, genes.  Seven of the tallest ten
> countries (Netherlands, Iceland, Denmark, Germany, Austria, Sweden,
> Norway) are Germanic (4 Sandinavian) and it would be fair to assume
> that the other three (Czech Republic, Croatia, Hungary) have a certain
> percentage of Germanic genes.]

I have no Germanic genes that I know of, but I often bang my head when
walking inside traditional English houses (lots of Germanic and Viking
genes in this country).

J. Anderson

Feb 11, 2009, 5:01:06 AM2/11/09

"Tadas Blinda" <tadas....@lycos.es> wrote in message

> One has to wonder how reliable this is.
> It's hard to imagine any country at all
> having at its fingertips the statistics on
> height of 100% of males age 18-30 years
> in that country, so presumably for each
> country the average height is based only
> on a partial sample.

If you have a conscript army, the age bracket 18 to 30 is usually when you
are required to carry out your military service. In Finland all male
citizens are measured and weighed in the physical examinations in connection
with the call-up, which takes place during the year when they become 18.
That's why we have very a comprehensive picture of how tall (and fat!) our
boys are at age 18. However, most boys keep growing for a couple of years
after that, so the Finnish figure 178.2 cm is not comparable with countries
where the average length is measured at higher ages.

> I notice Latvia is missing.

My general impression is that the Latvians are a 'tall nation'; the figure
would probably be near the one for Estonia. Especially girls in the Baltics
seem to be tall. I've always admired their long legs, wondering whatever
happened to the leg growth of Finnish girls. The tallest population I've
ever met was in Split, Croatia. I was strolling along the local corso one
evening and felt like a midget despite my 6 feet (182.9 cm).

In Finland there are very clear regional differences in average height.
People are taller in the southwest and get shorter further away from the
coast. This would seem to support your theory regarding Germanic genes.

Tadas Blinda

Feb 14, 2009, 12:19:15 AM2/14/09
On Feb 13, 2:07 pm, "J. Anderson" <anderso...@inbox.lv> wrote:
> ch....@hotmail.com wrote:
> > On Feb 12, 4:11 pm, "J. Anderson" <anderso...@inbox.lv> wrote:
> >> <ch....@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Russians have an expression that mixed blood makes one stronger.

> As to the Russian expression, it seems that it is well-founded at least as far as
> physical health is concerned. We have a lot of rare, genetically transferred diseases
> in > Finland as a result of our geographic seclusion, so we should import
> more people from abroad (especially from areas where the girls have long
> legs).

Try the Watusi tribe in Africa.

> Btw, both physical and mental health is better within the coastal
> population, which is mixed or Germanic.
>
> Like Anton pointed out, the Finns are hardly the indigenous population
> of this country. The Sami were here long before us, and we stole the
> land from them (a judicial debate about this is actually still going
> on), just like the colonists stole America from the Indios, and the
> Slavs stole western Siberia and northeastern Europe from the Finno-Ugrics.

Lucky Icelandics. About the only people in the world who didn't steal
their land from no one. Probably the most homogenous country in the
world too (no indigenous ethnic minorities).

captain!

Feb 18, 2009, 1:32:12 AM2/18/09
it's incorrect for canada.
canada is 178cm.

lorad

Feb 25, 2009, 12:20:33 PM2/25/09
On Feb 11, 2:01 am, "J. Anderson" <anderso...@inbox.lv> wrote:
> "Tadas Blinda" <tadas.bli...@lycos.es> wrote in message

No, it is consistant with ancient Baltic culture colonization of
Finland.

J. Anderson

Feb 25, 2009, 2:58:46 PM2/25/09

"lorad" <lora...@cs.com> wrote in message

Well, Indo-European in any case.

Relevant.Search.Result

Feb 27, 2009, 11:08:56 AM2/27/09

peasants are usually taller than city boys
consistent with growth hormone pollution and diet habits
fresh meat in the village has more active hormones too
i see young people are getting shorter because growth
hormone is not abused by farmers as much, a six-footer
is usually a guy with grey hair more often than not

Relevant.Search.Result

Feb 27, 2009, 11:53:28 AM2/27/09
On Feb 11, 9:01 pm, "J. Anderson" <anderso...@inbox.lv> wrote:
> "Tadas Blinda" <tadas.bli...@lycos.es> wrote in message

north europeans are taller than south europeans because you guys eat a
lot
raw meat people who eat a lot of pork grow tall. i am 1.75 and a very
happy
vegetarian. i don't worry about my "shortness" because i don't see too
many
healthy "giants". hormone abuse gives you health problems.

Tadas Blinda

Mar 11, 2009, 3:16:07 AM3/11/09
On Feb 12, 1:56 pm, Tadas Blinda <tadas.bli...@lycos.es> wrote:

> Taking the topic in a slightly different direction, if I had to choose
> a country that should be a role model for all other countries to
> follow, then I would have to choose Switzerland.  Based on free
> association right from the start, multilingual and multicultural right
> from the start, always democratic, never invaded anyone and lucky
> enough never to be invaded by anyone.  An ethic of hard work and
> honesty prevails.  It is about the right size and population too.  In
> my view, no country in an ideal world would be much bigger than
> Switerland, or have a population of more than about five million.  Any
> talk about having "too many countries" in the world is utter
> nonsense.  That's what regional groupings like the EU are for:
> to make it all manageable and efficient.

> With the exception of USA and Canada, which have been fabulously lucky
> in terms of geographical position and resources (and no foreign
> invasions or occupations), the tendency noted in all sorts of tables
> on "quality of life" is that the countries constantly around the top
> of the list tend to be medium to smallish in size and/or population.
> Once again, it's the Germanic (especially Scandinavian countries) that
> always do very well in the statistics.  Finland too, because of its
> integration with Germanic Scandinavia.  (Just think what a different
> story it would have been if Finland had stayed part of the Russo-
> Soviet empire until 1991.)

Another one: (English synopsis below)

En matière de recyclage, la Roumanie se situe à l’avant dernière place
en Europe, juste devant la Bulgarie, où l’on ne recycle aucun déchet,
selon une étude de l’Institut des statistiques européen Eurostat,
effectuée sur des données récoltées en 2007. Un roumain génère 379 kg
de déchets par an et n’en recyclerait que 1%. Les "restes" seraient
directement jetés dans les poubelles classiques. Juste devant la
Roumanie figure la Lituanie, qui recycle annuellement 4% de ses
déchets, puis Malte (7%) et la Pologne (10%). Aux premières places de
ce classement, on trouve l’Allemagne qui trie 99% de ses ordures
ménagères, les Pays-Bas (97%), la Belgique et la Suède (96%) et à la
cinquième place le Danemark (95%). (www.lepetitjournal.com - Bucarest)
mercredi 11 mars 2009

In recycling, Romania is located in the penultimate place in Europe,
just ahead of Bulgaria, where no waste is recycled. A Romanian
generates 379 kg of waste per year and only recycles less than 1%.
Just ahead of Romania, in second last place, is Lithuania, which
recycles only 4% of its waste, Malta (7%) and Poland (10%). At the top
of this list are Germany, which sorts 99% of its household waste, the
Netherlands (97%), Belgium and Sweden (96%) and fifth is Denmark
(95%) . (www.lepetitjournal.com - Bucharest) Wednesday 11 March 2009

comra...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2014, 4:50:53 AM1/24/14

> [One has to wonder how reliable this is. It's hard to imagine any
> country at all having at its fingertips the statistics on height of
> 100% of males age 18-30 years in that country, so presumably for each
> country the average height is based only on a partial sample. Not all
> countires are represented. I notice Latvia is missing.
>
> On these figures, for what it's worth {not much, curiosity value only}
> it does seem that there is a tendency to relative talllness in
> Germanic, particularly Scandinavian, genes. Seven of the tallest ten
> countries (Netherlands, Iceland, Denmark, Germany, Austria, Sweden,
> Norway) are Germanic (4 Sandinavian) and it would be fair to assume
> that the other three (Czech Republic, Croatia, Hungary) have a certain
> percentage of Germanic genes.]

You know... This is strange, I am Latvian and our passports have heights mentioned in them... Latvia should be the most accurate.
I am 1.90 m. Most of my male friends are the same height, one is a bit taller and a nother one is taller by one head. Ofcourse I have many friends that are less tall. Not everyone is tall here :DD