Tinubu Restates Call for True Federalism, Resource Control

Adey Oyenuga

Mar 19, 2001, 11:32:20 AM3/19/01
Tinubu Restates Call for True Federalism, Resource Control

This Day (Lagos)
March 18, 2001
Posted to the web March 19, 2001

Chika Amanze-nwachuku
Lagos

Governor Bola Tinubu of Lagos State has said that only true fiscal and
states'
control of their resources remained the only basis for sustainable
democracy in
Nigeria.

The governor also disagreed that the current agitation for resource
control can
lead to civil war, saying "it is when people feel aggrieved that their
resources are
being unjustly exploited to their detriment that the peace and unity of
the country
can be endangered."

Speaking on his arrival from this year's Hajj, Tinubu attributed the
opposition to
resource control in some quarters to the mistaken fear that petroleum is
the only
resource with which the country is blessed and that there can be no
development
without it.

He stated that the country is abundantly blessed with numerous natural
and
mineral resources, which are waiting to be tapped and developed,
regretting that
these other sources of revenue were neglected due to the unhealthy
reliance
solely on oil.

The governor expressed optimism that the forthcoming third southern
governors'
forum, scheduled to take place in Benin-City "will send a very strong
signal that
southern Nigerian is irrevocably committed to a genuine federal system
based on
justice and equity."

"We are going there with a lost of enthusiasm. We are determined to
promote
unity of purpose and political stability. We shall also continue to push
for true
fiscal federalism in out policy. It is about time we came to terms with
what
devolution of power means in this country and recognise what the
responsibilities
of the different tiers of government should be," he said.

Tinubu opined that the relationship between federal and state
governments in the
country "should not be a master-servant, or headmaster-pupil
relationship" as
that is not the spirit of federalism.

On the organisation of this year's Hajj, the governor said, it was not
yet
satisfactory enough, but said there was a slight improvement compared to
last
year's own.

He decried the over concentration of power in the hands of the Federal
Government, which he said led it to get involved in the airlifting of
pilgrims in the
states.

"This is due to the imperfection in the system. Ideally, such ought not
to be in any
federal system. The business that the various states ought to take care
of
themselves are being taken care of by the Federal Government and this
does not
augur well for the country and even for the Hajj operation itself," he
further
stated.

Presenting the staff of office and instrument of appointment to the
newly installed
Oba of Epe, Oba Anthony Olu Adepitan Backry, last Saturday, the governor

restated his administration's commitment to the speedy growth of the
rural areas
in line with his poverty alleviation programmes.

He urged the Oba to let the vast resources in his area serve as impetus
to ginger
him with into action and re-awaken his determination to put Epe in the
forefront
of leading food producing communities in the country. Epe is blessed
with vast
agricultural and aquatic resources.

Copyright © 2001 This Day.

Tim Ukaoha

Mar 20, 2001, 12:27:46 AM3/20/01
Bola Tinubu is presently one of the most forthright and consistent
politicians we are witnessing in the present democratic era. Himself and
Orji kalu with a few other politicians have truly proven their worth where
men like Ige and Obasanjo have failed.

Bola Tinubu, Kudos to you, only day light reveals the things hidden in the
dark. True and worthy son of Africa, ride on with your truth and
consistency.

Tim