Carl Weill at Soesterberg?

S B

Jul 3, 2007, 5:35:08 PM7/3/07
Hi Netherlanders,

Could anyone tell me anything good about this company - "Carl Weill" from
Soesterberg?

Are their knives as good as the company claims? Can't find any reference on
the web except for their site:
http://www.carlweill.com/.

Sorry if topic sounds inappropriate: could not find a better newsgroup.

Thanks!

SB/Montreal Canada
box4sb(at)canada(dot)com

JWS

Jul 4, 2007, 7:55:50 AM7/4/07

It seems you did not search the web thoroughly enough.

Google Earth reveals that the huge factory depicted on the website
does not exist -- not at that address, at least.

A reverse phone number search finds that the phone number is listed as
belonging to "Peto Kitchenware" -- not "Carl Weill". I did not look up
Peto in the Chamber of Commerce registry, because that costs money. I
expect it will be a one or two-man show.

"Carl Weill" is certainly not a well-known, ancient European brand
name. It was first registered, by Peto Kitchenware, in the Benelux
Trade Mark Registry on April 1st (!) 2003:

http://register.boip.int/bmbonline/details/trademark/show.do?markNumberType=REG&markNumber=726887&markID=1606034

Google for Carl Weill Soesterberg, and you will see that the company
uses unorthodox sales methods (basically, from the boot of a car). See
in particular http://robbevan.com/blog/2004/09/16/berghaus-knives-scam/.
"Berghaus" and "Carl Weill" (a.k.a. "Peto") -- both in Soesterberg --
seem to be related.

On the other hand, most customers seem to be satisfied with the
quality/price ratio. Not at the absurd "official" list price of
course, but at the "boot of the car" price (as low as 50 euros or so
for a complete knife set). Most likely the goods are Chinese-made.
They seem to be imitations of the Japanese "Global" brand, but as they
do not use the Global name, I doubt they could be called "counterfeit
goods". In other words it looks like a scam, but a fairly harmless
one. I see no reason to sick the Dutch economic police on them (or
indeed on anyone for that matter). But the whole story seems really
strange.

Hope this helps.

S B

Jul 5, 2007, 7:03:35 AM7/5/07