Mexican recipes

Leslie

Nov 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/1/97

Hi everyone,

Lot's of free mexican recipes at my website : http://www.aa.net/~gostak
Most are authentic from my family and then lowered in fat. Some are
reader requests.

Here is the current list:

Albondigas Soup
Barbeque Sauce
Bean Salad
Beef in Adobo Sauce
Beefy Enchilada Sauce
Burrito/Taco breakfast combos
Calavasa
Caldo de Pollo
Carne Asada
Carne Guisado
Ceviche
Chicken Enchiladas
Chile Verde Smothered Burritos
Chiles Rellenos
"Chile Relleno" Quiche!
Chimichangas
Chip Dip Fabuloso
Chorrizo
Corn Tortillas
Dipped Tortillas
Fajitas
Flautas
Fresh Nopales salad
Gorditas
Guacamole
Honey & Cream Sauce
Huevos con Nopales
Huevos Rancheros
Marinated Taco
Mexican Rice Salad
Nachos Grande
nopales
Orange Butter Sauce
Peppers In Vinegar
Picadillo
Pollo Asado
Pozole Blanco
Pozole Rojo
Pollo Relleno del Otoño!
Quesadilla's
Quesadilla Pizza
Quick Carne Asada
Rajas
Roasted Corn Dip
Roasted Green Sauce Enchiladas
Roasted Green Sauce Re-fried Bean Dip
Roasted Green Sauce Smothered Burritos
Sopa de Tortilla
Sophia's Lasagna
Spanish Rice
Spanish White Rice
Sweet Tamales
Tamales
Tortilla de Harina (Flour Tortilla's)
Tinga
Wedding Casserole
White Cheese Sauce

----
Drinks
Horchata
Margarita

----
Salsas
Avocado Fruit Salsa
Green Pepper Salsa
Leslie's Favorite
Picante
Pico de Gallo Salsa
Traditional Salsa
Tomatillo Salsa
Salsa pepper guide

By the way, all flames will be ignored and you need to remove the
"I-hate-spam-" from my email address!!

Len

Nov 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/2/97

Web site came up well with Netscape 3.01 and tasted good to. Just like
Mom use to make.

> your weblink didn't come up...
>
> you should join our food ring to increase hits to your site
>
> check out our food site
>
> Bob
> http://www.chefolder.com
>
> Leslie wrote in message <87841318...@moon.aa.net>...
> >Horchata
> >Margarita

Victor M. Martinez

Nov 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/5/97

J. Manuel Urrutia <urrutia...@ucla.edu> wrote:
>Hey, tocayo! There is something called a chimichanga but it is not found
>in Guanajuato. I don't recall what it is, but I have heard of it.

Where, in Los Angeles? :)

>No te hagas. It is just "sopa seca de arroz." They call it "Spanish"

Did you see the recipe? It's not the average rice your grandma or mine
would cook.

--
Victor M. Martinez, Jr. | The University of Texas at Austin
mar...@che.utexas.edu | Department of Chemical Engineering

Garry Williams

Nov 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/5/97

Hi, Manuel and Victor! You know that if you're going to start talking
about food, I can't stay away...

"J. Manuel Urrutia" <urrutia...@ucla.edu> wrote:

>Victor M. Martinez wrote:
>>
>> Leslie <l...@aa.net> wrote:
>SNIP..
>
>> >Chimichangas
>>
>> What is a chimichanga? I first saw them in a menu when I first came to
>> the US and to date I don't really know what they are. They are like
>> fried burritos, right? Too bad it's not mexican food...

>Hey, tocayo! There is something called a chimichanga but it is not found
>in Guanajuato. I don't recall what it is, but I have heard of it.

They sell them in nearly all the Mexican restaurants, here back East,
but then, most of the Mexican restaurants here get their stuff from
the same supplier...

OTOH, I'll vouch for not having seen chimichangas on the menu at any
of the restaurants I ate at in Michoacan or in Mexico city, and for
that matter, in the few places I stopped along the way, such as
Saltillo, San Luis Potosi, San Miguel de Allende, nor for that matter
in Reynosa or Matamoros. But I haven't eaten at every restaurant in
every one of those places, so my experience can't be taken as
definitive. <g> But I'll bet my budin azteca to your enchiladas that
chimichangas were "invented" on this side of the border. Probably by a
PR man.

I also checked 3 Mexican cookbooks (admittedly written by foreigners,
but ones who had lived in Mex. for 10 or 15 years, one author being
Diana Kennedy), and no sign of a Chimichanga there, either. Surely
they might have gotten an honorable mention, at the very least, if
they were truly born in Mexico?

>SNIP...
>> >Spanish Rice
>>
>> Spanish as in "from spain"?

>No te hagas. It is just "sopa seca de arroz." They call it "Spanish"

>rice because la gringada called it that, back in the days when it was
>fashionable to say that the US Southwest has a Spanish and not a Mexican
>heritage.

Not to mention the fact the Spanish had a good deal to do with
bringing rice to the Americas on Spanish boats. Do you suppose that
more than "la gringada" called it that? Of course, most people
nowadays just call it "sopa", knowing what they expect when they hear
that word, or "Spanish rice" to differentiate between it and what they
expect when they hear "rice", ie it just depends on your cultural
upbringing, nicht wahr? At any rate, I like my rice American style,
that is to say, any way that it's prepared from Canada to Chile.

--
Garry Williams
gdw...@earthlink.net or

Victor M. Martinez

Nov 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/6/97

Garry Williams <gdw...@earthlink.net> wrote:

Garry! My man! Where have you been? I haven't read you in a *long* time!
Too busy trying to take over the world? :)

>OTOH, I'll vouch for not having seen chimichangas on the menu at any
>of the restaurants I ate at in Michoacan or in Mexico city, and for

My mother and her side of our family is from Michoacan and I have never,
ever heard of chimichangas before I came to the US.

>Saltillo, San Luis Potosi, San Miguel de Allende, nor for that matter

Next time you go to Saltillo, find a restaurant called El Tapanco and
have lunch there, it's near the cathedral.

>I also checked 3 Mexican cookbooks (admittedly written by foreigners,
>but ones who had lived in Mex. for 10 or 15 years, one author being
>Diana Kennedy), and no sign of a Chimichanga there, either. Surely

I was just looking at Kennedy's The Art of Mexican Cooking (or something
like that) and I was very impressed. The food in her book is definitely
authentic, I'm just waiting for my book club to offer it at a discount
price to get it! :)

>that word, or "Spanish rice" to differentiate between it and what they
>expect when they hear "rice", ie it just depends on your cultural
>upbringing, nicht wahr? At any rate, I like my rice American style,
>that is to say, any way that it's prepared from Canada to Chile.

Well, the rice thing is true. In asian restaurants you'll get steamed
rice, in tex-mex (so called "mexican) restaurants you'll get cumin-tasting
red rice (just thinking about it makes me gag) and in my house (you're
all welcome to join me for dinner anytime) you'll get either regular
arroz (fry the rice, blend tomato, onion, garlic, salt and chicken broth
or Knorr Suiza and add to the rice when golden brown) or the white variety
(blend onion, garlic and salt with water and add to the frying rice),
depending on what the main dish is. Just yesterday I created a very nice
lamb dish and served it with white rice and fried plantation bananas.
The combination was very interesting.

Regards.

J. Manuel Urrutia

Nov 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/6/97

Victor M. Martinez wrote:

> Garry Williams <gdw...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> Garry! My man! Where have you been? I haven't read you in a *long* time!
> Too busy trying to take over the world? :)

Probaly his "Pinkie" left him and he is looking for a new sidekick?
Narf!

> >OTOH, I'll vouch for not having seen chimichangas on the menu at any
> >of the restaurants I ate at in Michoacan or in Mexico city, and for
>
> My mother and her side of our family is from Michoacan and I have never,
> ever heard of chimichangas before I came to the US.

What can I tell you both? Perhaps my brain has become all mixed up and I
can't place the reference. Nevertheless, I'll query my usual suspects
and we'll see what happens.

SNIP..

> >that word, or "Spanish rice" to differentiate between it and what they
> >expect when they hear "rice", ie it just depends on your cultural
> >upbringing, nicht wahr? At any rate, I like my rice American style,
> >that is to say, any way that it's prepared from Canada to Chile.

Nein, mein Herr. "Spanish rice" seems to me a term given by la gringada
to the rice cooked by the Mexicans back in the days when they wanted to
legitimize Mexican things by calling them Spanish here in California. It
then spread through out the US.

> Well, the rice thing is true. In asian restaurants you'll get steamed

But you are not going to call it "Chinese" rice, are you?

> rice, in tex-mex (so called "mexican) restaurants you'll get cumin-tasting
> red rice (just thinking about it makes me gag) and in my house (you're

Sounds like you have been frequenting the fake Mexican restaurants like
Chevy's :-)

> all welcome to join me for dinner anytime) you'll get either regular
> arroz (fry the rice, blend tomato, onion, garlic, salt and chicken broth
> or Knorr Suiza and add to the rice when golden brown) or the white variety
> (blend onion, garlic and salt with water and add to the frying rice),
> depending on what the main dish is. Just yesterday I created a very nice
> lamb dish and served it with white rice and fried plantation bananas.

Plantation bananas? I thought that they all came from plantations :-)
You don't mean "plantains," (pla'tano macho, pa' nosotros) do you?

But let's throw a good one here: in Mazatla'n, we call the plain boiled
rice "morisqueta." Do you want to have a crack at its etymology, Garry?

--
* J. Manuel Urrutia | En tierra de ciegos, *
* Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, UCLA | el tuerto es rey *

Victor M. Martinez

Nov 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/7/97

J. Manuel Urrutia <urrutia...@ucla.edu> wrote:
>Narf!

You watch Pinky and The Brain???? Aren't you a little bit old for cartoons?

>can't place the reference. Nevertheless, I'll query my usual suspects
>and we'll see what happens.

I've e-mailed a friend of mine from Zacapu who has family all over the
state asking him about chimichangas. I'll forwad his commentaries on the
subject.

>But you are not going to call it "Chinese" rice, are you?

It's just steamed rice, as simple as that. How would you call our rice?
Fried-with-tomato-onion-garlic-then-boiled-rice?

>Sounds like you have been frequenting the fake Mexican restaurants like
>Chevy's :-)

My roommate likes cheesy tex-mex and he's taken me out for dinner a couple
of times. It's Chuy's here in Austin. They have good fajitas, though,
and huge burritos. Tex-mex at its best.

>Plantation bananas? I thought that they all came from plantations :-)
>You don't mean "plantains," (pla'tano macho, pa' nosotros) do you?

Oops! Yeah, I meant platano macho.

>But let's throw a good one here: in Mazatla'n, we call the plain boiled
>rice "morisqueta." Do you want to have a crack at its etymology, Garry?

Yikes! You people are weird...

Regards. :)

M. C. Banks

Nov 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/7/97

Unfortunately, more and more people are thinking of corn tortillas as
those made from Maseca (even in Mexico). REAL corn tortillas are made
from masa, and there is there in NO comparison in the quality of the
taste (REAL corn tortillas are much better). Yes, the ingredients are
basically the same, but the process is different. Unfortunately, these
days, even the majority of the small Mexican neiborhood tortilla
factories throughout the country are using Maseca flour, instead of
using the old processes. Tortillas may never be the same.

Marcos B.
Tijuana, B.C.

Victor M. Martinez

Nov 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/7/97

M. C. Banks <mcb...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Unfortunately, more and more people are thinking of corn tortillas as
>those made from Maseca (even in Mexico). REAL corn tortillas are made
>from masa, and there is there in NO comparison in the quality of the

But Maseca *is* dehydrated masa... :)

>taste (REAL corn tortillas are much better). Yes, the ingredients are
>basically the same, but the process is different. Unfortunately, these

Not really. Cook the corn with calcium carbonate (?) and grind until
homogeneous. There is an extra step, obviously, to make maseca and
that is just a drying process. I do agree, however, that the taste
of a fresh handmade tortilla is much better.
However, for those of us who do not have the time to boil the corn
for hours and then go to the mill to get our masa, Maseca is a very
close second...

Regards.

Victor M. Martinez

Nov 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/7/97

VernonH <ver...@aol.com> wrote:
>2. En Mejico, mueca, gesto de la cara. (Don't jump me about the 'j' !)

Ok, but whoever wrote that dictionary of yours should be shot in the butt.

>While we are on popcorn what are the names you all use??? In Texas I hear
>'esquites' or 'palomitas' but seem to only hear palomitas in 'Mexico'.

To me 'esquite' is boiled corn kernels mixed with cream, 'chile piquin'
and lime juice. The only translation I know for popcorn is 'palomitas'.

M. C. Banks

Nov 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/7/97

P.S. Getting back to the original topic of authentic Mexican recipies,
by far the best book I have found in English, to date, is titled "Mexico
the Beautiful Cookbook." It is a coffee table type book with beautiful
photographs and excellent, authenic recipies. This same book was also
published in Mexico in Spanish, but I can't recall the Spanish language
title.

Regards to all,

Marcos B.
Tijuana, BC

tejas

Nov 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/8/97

Not!
Check out the cook books of Patricia Quintana, Diana Kennedy (a Brit,
no less) and Rick Bayless... _____the Beautiful cookbooks are ok (I
have the Thailand one, but they are rather glossy and leave much
technique out....

Anyone have recipes for "marranitos" (ginger pigs) and the Yuacatec
"mojo de ajo"?

(Gettin' ready to make Christmas tamales... de puerco, de guajolote
y de venado....)

--
TBSa...@richmond.infi.net (also te...@infi.net)
'Do the boogie woogie in the South American way'

Garry Williams

Nov 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/9/97

mar...@bullwinkle.che.utexas.edu (Victor M. Martinez) wrote:

>Garry Williams <gdw...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>Garry! My man! Where have you been? I haven't read you in a *long* time!
>Too busy trying to take over the world? :)

Yes, it's a nightly thing with me and my pal, Pinky....

>Next time you go to Saltillo, find a restaurant called El Tapanco and
>have lunch there, it's near the cathedral.

Thanks for the recommendation; I'll be sure to check it out!

>I was just looking at Kennedy's The Art of Mexican Cooking (or something
>like that) and I was very impressed. The food in her book is definitely
>authentic, I'm just waiting for my book club to offer it at a discount
>price to get it! :)

She also has another one called The Cuisines of Mexico. There is some
duplication, but not much, and is worth picking up, also. I've thumbed
through her tortilla cookbook, but since I have no reasonable hope of
ever learning to make a good, hand-patted tortilla, I saved the
purchase price and am putting it towards my next trip to get the real
McCoy from my friend's mom.

>Well, the rice thing is true. In asian restaurants you'll get steamed

>rice, in tex-mex (so called "mexican) restaurants you'll get cumin-tasting
>red rice (just thinking about it makes me gag) and in my house (you're

Cumin? In rice? Yuk! To each his own, I guess.

>all welcome to join me for dinner anytime) you'll get either regular
>arroz (fry the rice, blend tomato, onion, garlic, salt and chicken broth
>or Knorr Suiza and add to the rice when golden brown) or the white variety
>(blend onion, garlic and salt with water and add to the frying rice),

Now that sounds more like what I'm used to! Except when I have rice
for breakfast. Then it's just cooked plain, and served with butter,
sugar and milk. (I'm from Missouri and that's the way we ate it
there).

>depending on what the main dish is. Just yesterday I created a very nice
>lamb dish and served it with white rice and fried plantation bananas.

>The combination was very interesting.

Sounds yummy! Next time you're cooking let me know and I'll be right
over!

Recently I went to a restaurant called Mi Tierra that features foods
from a variety of countries from Mexico to Tierra del Fuego. I got an
appetizer called arepitas that reminded me of miniature potato
pancakes, except that they were prepared from corn and a mild cheese.
They were served with natas on the side and boy, were they addictive!
Almost didn't have room for the main course! Getting back to the rice
again, my order came with a side of green rice. Unusual looking, but
tasty nonetheless.

Victor M. Martinez

Nov 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/10/97

Garry Williams <gdw...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>through her tortilla cookbook, but since I have no reasonable hope of
>ever learning to make a good, hand-patted tortilla, I saved the

You mean without the little press to flatten them?

>Cumin? In rice? Yuk! To each his own, I guess.

Here in Texas they put cumin in something and call it mexican. I don't
know why...

>appetizer called arepitas that reminded me of miniature potato

Arepas I believe are from El Salvador, but it could be Costa Rica.

>again, my order came with a side of green rice. Unusual looking, but
>tasty nonetheless.

I have seen green rice, you just use green tomatos instead of red.
It's rather uncommon, though...

Garry Williams

Nov 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/10/97

mar...@bullwinkle.che.utexas.edu (Victor M. Martinez) wrote:

>Yikes! You people are weird...

People who live in grass houses shouldn't stow thrones...

;-)

Garry Williams

Nov 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/10/97

"J. Manuel Urrutia" <urrutia...@ucla.edu> wrote:

<snippety-snip>

>But let's throw a good one here: in Mazatla'n, we call the plain boiled
>rice "morisqueta." Do you want to have a crack at its etymology, Garry?

I don't have Vernon's dictionary, but obviously we're talking about
"Moorish" rice. Where to go from there, only a good web surb will
show for sure. Which I assume would be under your usual suspects
heading... ;-) One of my dictionaries translates the word as "Moorish
trick; mean trick; unsalted boiled rice." Gee, I guess unsalted boiled
rice *would* be a mean trick, if you're used to having tomatoes,
onions, garlic and salt in your rice... =:o Larousse's defines it
as "mueca" or "ardid". So tell me, how did the Moors get mixed up with
rice in Mazatlan? Or are we getting back into more of those "Moor"
cognates from that oh-so-long-ago thread?

J. Manuel Urrutia

Nov 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/11/97

Garry Williams wrote:

> "J. Manuel Urrutia" <urrutia...@ucla.edu> wrote:
>
> <snippety-snip>
>
> >But let's throw a good one here: in Mazatla'n, we call the plain boiled
> >rice "morisqueta." Do you want to have a crack at its etymology, Garry?
>
> I don't have Vernon's dictionary, but obviously we're talking about
> "Moorish" rice. Where to go from there, only a good web surb will
> show for sure. Which I assume would be under your usual suspects
> heading... ;-) One of my dictionaries translates the word as "Moorish
> trick; mean trick; unsalted boiled rice." Gee, I guess unsalted boiled

That is the simplest way to cook rice. If you can't even afford
butter...

> rice *would* be a mean trick, if you're used to having tomatoes,
> onions, garlic and salt in your rice... =:o Larousse's defines it

Remember that prior to the "arrival" in the "New World," the Spaniards
did not have "Spanish" rice since there were no tomatoes!

> as "mueca" or "ardid". So tell me, how did the Moors get mixed up with
> rice in Mazatlan? Or are we getting back into more of those "Moor"
> cognates from that oh-so-long-ago thread?

They didn't. It is just one of those "cultural memories" thing. The word
and dish have been handed down for generations and the casual speaker
has no inkling on where it came from.

And what is so wrong with boiled rice? That is what you get in "Asian"
restaurants and it serves very well as a bed for a good stew.

Garry Williams

Nov 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/11/97

mar...@bullwinkle.che.utexas.edu (Victor M. Martinez) wrote:

>Garry Williams <gdw...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>through her tortilla cookbook, but since I have no reasonable hope of
>>ever learning to make a good, hand-patted tortilla, I saved the
>
>You mean without the little press to flatten them?

Yes, I mean without the little press to flatten them. Actually, I *do*
have a press, but even with that, I'm hopeless! Oh, well. If I plan on
having handmade tortillas for the rest of my life, I guess I better
hie myself on down to ol' Mexico and get myself married. =:o

>>Cumin? In rice? Yuk! To each his own, I guess.
>
>Here in Texas they put cumin in something and call it mexican. I don't
>know why...

Because everything's bigger in Texas...including mistakes? (Ji! Ji!
Ji! I'm going to have Vernon flaming me in a minute.)

>>again, my order came with a side of green rice. Unusual looking, but
>>tasty nonetheless.
>
>I have seen green rice, you just use green tomatos instead of red.
>It's rather uncommon, though...

Do you mean green jitomates or tomates verdes? At any rate, I think
what imparted most of the green color to this particular rice were the
flecks of some well-chopped, leafy herb. It didn't taste like
cilantro, but I have no idea what it *did* taste like. It was just
different.

Garry Williams

Nov 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/12/97

"J. Manuel Urrutia" <urrutia...@ucla.edu> wrote:

>Garry Williams wrote:
>
>> rice *would* be a mean trick, if you're used to having tomatoes,
>> onions, garlic and salt in your rice... =:o Larousse's defines it
>
>Remember that prior to the "arrival" in the "New World," the Spaniards
>did not have "Spanish" rice since there were no tomatoes!

Okay, two points for your side.

>> as "mueca" or "ardid". So tell me, how did the Moors get mixed up with
>> rice in Mazatlan? Or are we getting back into more of those "Moor"
>> cognates from that oh-so-long-ago thread?
>
>They didn't. It is just one of those "cultural memories" thing. The word
>and dish have been handed down for generations and the casual speaker
>has no inkling on where it came from.
>
>And what is so wrong with boiled rice? That is what you get in "Asian"
>restaurants and it serves very well as a bed for a good stew.

Don't get your avocados in an uproar; I was speaking tongue in cheek.
:-)

So, did you have the time or inclination to do the web search on
morisqueta? I started to do a search and got sidetracked on a web page
called something like "The Alternative Spanish Dictionary" providing a
collection of cuss words. Not exactly a scholarly page, but it helped
waste a few minutes... Never did find the word there, though, even
though the page came up in my search. Maybe I set my search parameters
screwy or something.

Victor M. Martinez

Nov 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/12/97

Garry Williams <gdw...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>have a press, but even with that, I'm hopeless! Oh, well. If I plan on

It's quite simple actually, even my gringo roommate managed to make
a few the other night (they were kinda fat, but tasty nevertheless).
Just buy a bag of Maseca, follow the instructions (just add water) to
make the dough (batter?). Get a small portion (about the size of a small
egg) and flatten it between plastic sheets in your tortilla press.
Have a thick (this is the key) comal in medium-high heat ready. Put the
tortilla in it and wait 10 seconds or so (until you see steam coming
out of the tortilla). Turn the tortilla (you can use your hands if you
are feeling brave) and let it cook (about 1 1/2 minutes). Turn again,
and if it inflates, you've got yourself a good tortilla. If not, chances
are it will still be edible. Enjoy! And remember, practice makes perfect.

>Do you mean green jitomates or tomates verdes? At any rate, I think

Tomates, as we call them in my hometown, aka tomatillos.
To us jitomate is the red one (and I do believe that is the correct
word, based on a nahuatl word, jitomatl or something like that).

>what imparted most of the green color to this particular rice were the
>flecks of some well-chopped, leafy herb. It didn't taste like
>cilantro, but I have no idea what it *did* taste like. It was just
>different.

Parsley maybe?

Regards.

Garry Williams

Nov 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/12/97

mar...@bullwinkle.che.utexas.edu (Victor M. Martinez) wrote:

>It's quite simple actually, even my gringo roommate managed to make
>a few the other night (they were kinda fat, but tasty nevertheless).
>Just buy a bag of Maseca, follow the instructions (just add water) to
>make the dough (batter?). Get a small portion (about the size of a small

Dough is the correct word for masa. Batter implies a pourable liquid,
dough is a malleable solid.

>egg) and flatten it between plastic sheets in your tortilla press.
>Have a thick (this is the key) comal in medium-high heat ready. Put the
>tortilla in it and wait 10 seconds or so (until you see steam coming
>out of the tortilla). Turn the tortilla (you can use your hands if you
>are feeling brave) and let it cook (about 1 1/2 minutes). Turn again,
>and if it inflates, you've got yourself a good tortilla. If not, chances
>are it will still be edible. Enjoy! And remember, practice makes perfect.

Thanks for the instructions, but I've tried it all before, and as I
said, I'm just hopeless. In the meantime, I just make do with
storebought tortillas.

>>Do you mean green jitomates or tomates verdes? At any rate, I think
>
>Tomates, as we call them in my hometown, aka tomatillos.
>To us jitomate is the red one (and I do believe that is the correct
>word, based on a nahuatl word, jitomatl or something like that).

Yes, tomates is what I was taught to call the "tomatillos" and
jitomates is what I was taught to call what in English is called a
tomato. When I asked about green jitomates, I was trying to
communicate "green tomatoes", as in "unripened jitomates".

>>what imparted most of the green color to this particular rice were the
>>flecks of some well-chopped, leafy herb. It didn't taste like
>>cilantro, but I have no idea what it *did* taste like. It was just
>>different.
>
>Parsley maybe?

No, I would have recognized perejil. I'll just have to ask the next
time I'm there.