m/insider: Ong Ka Ting takes on sensitive issues, 1

pluto

May 1, 2008, 10:48:42 PM5/1/08
m/insider: Ong Ka Ting takes on sensitive issues, 1 after another Message List
Reply | Forward Message #102570 of 102579 < Prev | Next >

http://themalaysianinsider.com/mni/ong-ka-ting-takes-on-sensitive
-issues-1-after-another.html

Ong Ka Ting takes on sensitive issues, 1 after another

Cabinet member-turned-backbencher throws political correctness to the winds
KUALA LUMPUR, April 30 - Datuk Seri Ong Ka Ting threw off the shackles today
and trampled on all the sensitive topics that he and the MCA have studiously
avoided over the years. If this is the approach that MCA politicians will
take from now on, they could end up stealing the thunder from the Opposition
and also put them on the path of confrontation with Umno and the powerful
religious authorities.

Delivering the motion of thanks on the royal address, the MCA president said
that non-Muslims should not be subjected to any form of syariah laws. Also
non-Muslims who convert to Islam after marriage should be allowed to
renounce the religion after the marriage has ended.

This is the first time that the usually politically correct Ong has spoken
about conversions. "Similarly, if a child was unilaterally converted to
Islam by one parent without the consent of the other parent, the child
should be allowed to maintain his or her original religion until he or she
attains a majority age where the child can decide on the religion of his or
her choice," he said.

Some MPs tried to interject but Ong made clear that he would not give up the
floor. Religious issues and the fear that non-Muslims were increasingly
being subjected to Syariah laws has been a thorny issue among Hindus,
Christians and Buddhists.

The inability of the Abdullah administration to resolve this issue to the
satisfaction of the non-Muslim community was one of the reasons why many
religious groups urged their congregations to support the Opposition in
Election 2008.

MCA, Gerakan and the MIC bore the brunt of the anger from the non-Muslim
community. To regain the support of Indians and Chinese, the MCA believes
that it must now speak candidly on issues affecting all communities and not
just on Chinese education.

Ong said in a situation where one parent embraces Islam, the religion of a
minor must be decided by both parents.

"Should a dispute on the child's faith arise, the religion must remain as
status quo until the child reaches the majority age of 18 years old, upon
which the child will decide," he said.

He noted that in the last three years, the country had witnessed
"unprecedented" number of cases involving constitutional rights of
non-Muslims.

"Non-Muslims are not to be subjected to any form of Syariah laws. For
disputes or overlapping areas involving the jurisdiction of civil and
Syariah courts, the civil laws must prevail," he said.

Ong also surprised many in the House when he urged the government to set up
the Independent Police Complaints and Misconduct Commission (IPCMC).

Last year, the government opted for a watered down version of the IPCMC -
Special Complaints Commission, (SCC). After much objection, the government
withdrew the Bill and said that it would reconsider the idea of the IPCMC.

"The rakyat expects the police to be effective in arresting snatch thieves,
rapists, robbers and other criminals. Meanwhile, corruption is rampant among
law enforcers," he said.

On the judiciary, he urged the soon-to-be-set up judicial commission be
allowed to select magistrates and session courts judges. Currently,
magistrates and session courts judges are appointed by the judicial and
legal services commission.

"We cannot help but notice that the composition of our judiciary does not
reflect the multi-racial aspect of our society. I am not suggesting that a
racial quota be applied to judicial appointments as it must be based on
merit, capability, intelligence, independence and integrity.

"But at the same time, we must correct any perception that our judges will
not be able to adjudicate fairly and impartially on sensitive issues,
particularly relating to religion if a person's faith becomes an issue
before a panel of judges whose religious faith and belief may differ from
him or her," he said.

He also proposed that for serious criminal cases, the trial by jury system
be brought back.

On corruption, he suggested that all government departments and agencies
must process approvals within certain deadlines.

Ong the ordinary backbencher is certainly sounding more substantial and
frank than Ong the Cabinet minister.
____

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=329530

Ong Ka Ting Feels A Different Person Now
April 28, 2008 19:07 PM

KUALA LUMPUR, April 28 (Bernama) -- "I feel I'm a different person now."

That's how MCA president Datuk Seri Ong Ka Ting feels as a government
backbencher now after years of answering questions in parliament as a
cabinet minister, drawing both bouquets and brickbats.

Ong, who won the Kulai parliamentary seat in the recent general election,
did not seek to be reappointed to the cabinet after serving as Housing and
Local Government Minister for the past seven years.

"I feel I'm a different person now. I have more freedom to speak up in
parliament.

"As a cabinet minister, you are sworn to secrecy and a code of ethics. A lot
of things you discuss in the cabinet cannot be reported outside. I'm not
bound by that now, I'm a free man although I'm still a Barisan Nasional (BN)
component party leader," he told reporters after the swearing-in of all the
MPs in the Dewan Rakyat here Monday.

Ong said he would regularly attend parliament sitting and play a meaningful
role as a backbencher.

"I have more freedom to give my views which reflect people's thinking. I
feel good about my new role (as a backbencher)," he added.

The other BN component leaders, including acting Gerakan president Tan Sri
Dr Koh Tsu Koon, MIC president Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu and People's
Progressive Party (PPP) president Datuk M. Kayveas lost their respective
parliamentary seats.

Meanwhile, Selangor Menteri Besar Tan Sri Abdul Khalid Ibrahim said he was
used to a hectic schedule, almost round the clock, since his Guthrie and
Permodalan Nasional Berhad (PNB) days, handling at least 100 companies.

"I spend four or five days on state administration and in parliament, and on
weekends, I will visit my state constituency of Ijok and the Bandar Tun
Razak parliamentary constituency as its MP," he said. -- BERNAMA
____

'Dirty tricks' in MCA electioneering
http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/82147

Donald: Do away with appointing state chiefs
http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/82052

Don't work for only one race, leaders told
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/4/28/nation/
21083235&sec=nation

'People have lost confidence in race-based parties'
http://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news.cfm?NewsID=57184

caveat fair use notice: