Malaysian bloggers warned being monitored

1 view

pluto

Feb 22, 2008, 7:06:32 PM2/22/08
Malaysian bloggers warned being monitored
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/330440/1/.html
KUALA LUMPUR : A Malaysian government minister has accused bloggers, who have
been writing avidly on upcoming elections, of being cowards and warned they are
being monitored, a report said Friday.
Youth and Sports Minister Azalina Othman said opposition parties were using
blogs to get their message out because they believed the Home Affairs Ministry
was busy monitoring reports in the mainstream media, the Star daily said.
"They think they can get away with it but it is not the case as they too are
being monitored," she reportedly said, adding that bloggers were cowards and a
nuisance to the ruling party.
Opposition parties have resorted to blogs, SMS messaging and YouTube in their
campaign for the March 8 polls, to dodge a virtual blackout on mainstream media.
Major newspapers and television stations -- many partly owned by parties in the
ruling coalition -- have given blanket coverage to the government and its
achievements since the election was called.
The opposition parties rate barely a mention, but thanks to the Internet they
have begun campaigning feverishly in cyberspace with the aim of reaching young,
urban, educated voters.
Media watchdog Reporters Without Borders ranks Malaysia 124 out of 169 on its
worldwide press freedom index, and says the main media are "often compelled to
ignore or to play down the many events organised by the opposition".
The government has previously threatened that bloggers could be punished under
draconian internal security laws which provide for detention without trial.
- AFP/vm

>CHECK YOUR POLING STATUS NOW
http://daftarj.spr.gov.my/daftarbi.asp

caveat fair use notice:

TOUTY

Feb 24, 2008, 2:07:40 AM2/24/08
why not close down the internet

than no bloggers for the government to read, feeling better, happy with
themselves, while the rest of the world blogged along, about malaysia and
everything else

if BN has a chance to play God, they remove the internet from its existence,
that the BN promises of development

in sarawak BN MP Tiong Hiew King, fight for the people, even if it means
criticising the police, if he also can have the people first and party
second, he has by vote all the time

this is what malaysia lack, we only have dumb, deaf and mindlessness MPs for
making up a government for the few who rule without feeling for the many

yes, hate bloggers, BN MPS hate the bloggers for telling the truth, they do
not hate those for telling lies cos' they use them to cover the truth

the best way for BN MPs to get rid of bloggers is by being honest, truthful
and sincere, give the opposition all the chance to have their views
published in the papers, TV, catch them for their lies, jail them, fine
them.

OTHERWISE THE BN GOVERNMENT ARE THE CREATORS OF THE BLOGGERS WHICH THEY SO
FEAR, FEARING THE TRUTHS

"pluto" <pl...@yahoo.com.sg> wrote in message

Politikus

Feb 24, 2008, 3:48:37 AM2/24/08
On Feb 24, 3:07 pm, "TOUTY" <touty...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> why not close down the internet
>
> than no bloggers for the government to read, feeling better, happy with
> themselves, while the rest of the world blogged along, about malaysia and
> everything else

Internet will be shut off in Sungai Siput, Renggam, Kepala Batas
areas? :-p

<<< Fast Forward Asia <<<