Okrent on Jewis vs. Moslem reporters

Ted

Apr 26, 2005, 3:10:24 PM4/26/05
http://mediacrity.blogspot.com/2005/04/more-on-wuss.html

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

More on the Wuss

The Electronic Intifada has an article written by the convenient critic
mentioned in the Daniel Okrent column on Sunday, an "Alison Weir" who
is with something called "If Americans Knew."
The text of this bilge-fest can be found at
http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article3796.shtml

Amid the usual ravings is the following, an account of an exchange
between Weir and Okrent:

"I pointed out that since this was a conflict between a state whose
identity and purpose of existence was to be a Jewish state, it seemed
to me that the number of Jewish-American reporters covering it should
be balanced by approximately an equal number of Arab/Muslim-American
reporters."

The proper response from Okrent, if he had even the tenth of the guts
usually found in a salamander, should have been, "Get the hell out of
my office, you anti-Semitic piece of crud." Or, if he wanted to be
polite, he could have said "The Times does not discriminate on the
basis of race, religion, or ethnic origin" and then pitched her
head-first out of his office.

Instead, according to the account on EI, Okrent engaged in a dialogue
with this bigoted slime. What followed was the following exchange
between slime and wuss:

"Okrent said that it was impossible to find equal numbers of
Arab/Muslim journalists of sufficiently high quality to balance out the
number of Jewish reporters available to cover it, and ignored the
suggestion that other groups be included in the reportorial/editorial
pool. "

Does that mean that if you do find enough Muslim newspeople that they
can then supplant Jewish reporters? Well, maybe. According to this
report, "He said that there shouldn't be an 'ethnic litmus test' and
that Jewish reporters shouldn't be excluded just because there weren't
enough Muslims for the Times to employ."

Weir goes on to say that "we came away with the very strong impression
that Okrent, who is himself Jewish, felt basically that only Jewish
reporters could cover this issue."

Even if Okrent didn't mean that Jewish reporters can be excluded if
there "were enough Muslims," there is a larger question here. Why is he
humoring this bigot?

As if we didn't know. Hurry up, Calame!

posted by The Media Muse at 9:49 AM

Susan Cohen

Apr 26, 2005, 6:26:07 PM4/26/05

"Ted" <tdic...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> http://mediacrity.blogspot.com/2005/04/more-on-wuss.html
>
> Tuesday, April 26, 2005
>
> More on the Wuss
>
> The Electronic Intifada has an article written by the convenient critic
> mentioned in the Daniel Okrent column on Sunday, an "Alison Weir"

The historian???

Susan

Riain Barton/ריעין ברתון‎

Apr 26, 2005, 10:57:31 PM4/26/05
No, there are two well-known writers named Alison Weir.

One is the British Historian, the other is an American Pro-Terrorist
Communist Bitch.

"Susan Cohen" <flav...@verizon.net> wrote in message
:
: "Ted" <tdic...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

: >
:
:

Susan Cohen

Apr 26, 2005, 11:56:05 PM4/26/05

"Riain Barton/ריעין ברתון" <ri...@zion.org.il> wrote in message

> No, there are two well-known writers named Alison Weir.

Yes, I found that out.
I was stunned for a moment, tho'...

Susan

Rick Ruby

Apr 29, 2005, 10:03:57 AM4/29/05
There's more on the Okrent column in the CAMERA blog, Snapshot.
http://blog.camera.org/
as well as in Mediacrity...
http://mediacrity.blogspot.com/2005/04/still-more-on-wuss.html

Apparently Okrent selectively quoted from CAMERA. Interesting how
little attention has been focussed on this, or on his dialogue with the
odious Weir.