ADL report examines Iran's military build-up

Nigel Allen

Jan 28, 1993, 2:15:19 PM1/28/93
Here is a press release from the Anti-Defamation League.

ADL Report Examines Iran's Military Build-Up
To: National and Foreign Desks
Contact: Myrna Shinbaum of the Anti-Defamation League,
212-490-2525, ext. 145

NEW YORK, Jan. 28 -- Iran is engaged in a massive military
build-up that will soon give it weapons of mass destruction
and the means to deliver them long distance, according to "Iran: A
Growing Strategic Challenge to Israel and the Western World," a new
report by the Anti-Defamation League (ADL).
"First we must recognize the threat that Iran poses to the safety
and security of the Middle East and to the entire democratic world,"
said Abraham H. Foxman, ADL national director. "This report sets out
to sensitize policy makers and researchers to the gravity of the
danger. Next, it is up to policy makers to formulate the appropriate
policy response to the growing Iranian threat."
In discussing the militarization of Iran, the ADL report, prepared
by its International Affairs Division, observes that Iran is in the
middle of a five-year military modernization plan that will
revolutionize its armed forces. "Chemical, biological and nuclear
technology is becoming available," the report warns. "The Soviet
Union's disintegration has led to a fire-sale of top-line
conventional weaponry, especially long-range bombers." Iran is
likely to have a nuclear weapon within five to eight years, unless
its nuclear program is slowed or halted.
"The implications to Israel are obvious," Foxman said. "The
threat of nuclear or chemical attack from afar is becoming ominously
real." Iran is working with North Korea and China to develop and
produce in Iran a super-long-range Scud-type missile which would
allow Teheran to hit Tel Aviv.
The report names Iran the leader of the radical camp opposed to
any Arab-Israeli reconciliation and accuses it of promoting terrorist
acts designed to derail the peace talks. Iran also is gaining in
influence in countries whose central government is weak, the report
warns. "In Sudan, Iranian Revolutionary Guards are training Islamic
terrorists." It is believed that Iran has provided weapons to Moslem
extremist groups in Somalia and is encouraging them to commit
terrorist attacks against western troops. Iran's support of militant
Islamic fundamentalist groups in the Middle East is also alarming to
leaders in other Arab nations. Arab governments are working together
to combat the internal security threats posed to them by
Iranian-sponsored terrorism and subversion.
According to the ADL report, China, Russia, Pakistan and Brazil
are aiding Iran's nuclear bomb effort by either building nuclear
power plants for Iran or providing it with technology to enhance
nuclear weapons development within the decade.
"We need an enforceable international technology export control
system," said Foxman, "and a coordinated restraint on the supply of
capital to the Iranians for as long as possible."
Founded in 1913, ADL is a civil rights/human relations
organization that combats anti-Semitism and all forms of bigotry and
discrimination, and promotes harmonious relations between diverse
religious and ethnic groups.
------
Editors: Copies of the report are available from the ADL Public
Relations Department.

-30-
--
Nigel Allen, Toronto, Ontario nda...@r-node.pci.on.ca

Amir Taghavi

Jan 30, 1993, 10:58:07 AM1/30/93
In article <1993Jan28.1...@r-node.pci.on.ca> nda...@r-node.pci.on.ca (Nigel Allen) writes:
>Here is a press release from the Anti-Defamation League.
>
> ADL Report Examines Iran's Military Build-Up
> To: National and Foreign Desks
> Contact: Myrna Shinbaum of the Anti-Defamation League,
> 212-490-2525, ext. 145

[none sense crap is deleted]

I simply say 'screw' the ADL report. This is just jewish propeganda
against the Iran.

Lets check on Israel military(supported by USA) first before talking about
Iran's internal affair.

As Iran repeatedly has said: It will stop its militray build up as long as
the International Commission destroy Israel's nuclear technology.

Amir

--
(/ ///////// * * * * // (M) //
(/ (( (0) (0) // /////////////// //

Todd J. Dicker

Jan 30, 1993, 7:12:13 PM1/30/93
mtag...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Amir Taghavi) writes:

> In article <1993Jan28.1...@r-node.pci.on.ca> nda...@r-node.pci.on.ca

> >Here is a press release from the Anti-Defamation League.
> >
> > ADL Report Examines Iran's Military Build-Up
> > To: National and Foreign Desks
> > Contact: Myrna Shinbaum of the Anti-Defamation League,
> > 212-490-2525, ext. 145
> >

> [none sense crap is deleted]
>

> I simply say 'screw' the ADL report. This is just jewish propeganda
> against the Iran.
>
> Lets check on Israel military(supported by USA) first before talking about
> Iran's internal affair.
>
> As Iran repeatedly has said: It will stop its militray build up as long as
> the International Commission destroy Israel's nuclear technology.

-----
And this, I suppose, is why Arabs are not among those listed in the
previous Westinghouse posting. Of course, only readers of s.c.j. will
get this one, but I doubt it would make much difference.

Shaqeeqa

Jan 31, 1993, 1:57:21 AM1/31/93
In article <33s8XB...@cybernet.cse.fau.edu> wa...@cybernet.cse.fau.edu (Todd J. Dicker) writes:
>-----
>And this, I suppose, is why Arabs are not among those listed in the
>previous Westinghouse posting. Of course, only readers of s.c.j. will
>get this one, but I doubt it would make much difference.

Why would you assume the reader is an Arab?

I believe he is Pakistani or Iranian ...

Anisa

Majid Zolfaghari TX/DKG

Jan 31, 1993, 4:14:11 AM1/31/93

> I simply say 'screw' the ADL report. This is just jewish propeganda
> against the Iran.
>
> Lets check on Israel military(supported by USA) first before talking about
> Iran's internal affair.
>
> As Iran repeatedly has said: It will stop its militray build up as long as
> the International Commission destroy Israel's nuclear technology.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Amir

Dear Amir!

Is Israel really a threat against Iran? When have we had military
conflict with Israel? A very wise Persian saying says: "Thousands of
friends are too few and one enemy is too much!". Have we really too
few enemies?
Why should we try to make enemies unnecessarily?

I think myself that the occupied areas should be evacuated by Israel,
it is really a factor (only one of factors!) of destablization in the
middle east. But we have ourselves too much problems to be able to play
the world conscious, especially when we have been so unfair against
ourselves!

Our problem is the high rate of population, high number of illiterates,
the structural economic problems (what happens with us when the oil
finishes?), lack of tecknocrats, engineers and so on, (while we have
so many on the other parts of the world), bad relationship with other
countries and many others.

Make your country a good sample if you have the ambition to be other's
example. But the reality of our country has been the opposite. We have
made much and much problems for ourselves and still try to be others
example. Not too much imagination is needed to discover the absurdity
of such an approach. Unfortunately it is all of us Iranians who must
pay for these experiments(?).

Majid Zolfaghari
etx...@solsta.ericsson.se

Amir Taghavi

Jan 31, 1993, 11:38:18 PM1/31/93
In article <ETXMAJZ.93...@solsta-c.solsta.ericsson.se> etx...@solsta-c.solsta.ericsson.se (Majid Zolfaghari TX/DKG) writes:

>> I simply say 'screw' the ADL report. This is just jewish propeganda
>> against the Iran.
>>
>> Lets check on Israel military(supported by USA) first before talking about
>> Iran's internal affair.
>>
>> As Iran repeatedly has said: It will stop its militray build up as long as
>> the International Commission destroy Israel's nuclear technology.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>

>> Amir
>
>Dear Amir!
>
>Is Israel really a threat against Iran? When have we had military
>conflict with Israel? A very wise Persian saying says: "Thousands of
>friends are too few and one enemy is too much!". Have we really too
>few enemies?
>Why should we try to make enemies unnecessarily?

Dear Majid;

Israel has not had military conflict with Iran nor will dare to have one
with Iran. My concern is just the supporters of Israel(e.g. USA, Israel)
that are trying to create a base to start a conflict with Iran likewise
USA did same thing to Iraq, that is why Iraq has been under attack by
Western Government and UN. They are trying to set the same trap on Iran.
I am not opposing with your argument. I am just basically arguing about
that ADL report that semitists people are trying enforce about
Iran and Iranian Government. It might have worked on Iraq but It is not
going to work on Iran(You should go back read the ADL crapy report about
Iranian nuclear arms). I could careless if Israel is having military
conflict with Iran. Because I know they don't have the guts to attack Iran.
If they do attack Iran, the Moslem country will vanish(?) the little Israel
off the world map. And thats a promise.

>Majid Zolfaghari
>etx...@solsta.ericsson.se

Best regard to you

David Makowsky

Jan 31, 1993, 11:55:24 PM1/31/93
In article <1993Feb1.0...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> mtag...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Amir Taghavi) writes:

# In article <ETXMAJZ.93...@solsta-c.solsta.ericsson.se> etx...@solsta-c.solsta.ericsson.se (Majid Zolfaghari TX/DKG) writes:

# >> I simply say 'screw' the ADL report. This is just jewish propeganda
# >> against the Iran.

# >> Lets check on Israel military(supported by USA) first before talking about
# >> Iran's internal affair.

# >> As Iran repeatedly has said: It will stop its militray build up as long as
# >> the International Commission destroy Israel's nuclear technology.
# > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

# >Is Israel really a threat against Iran? When have we had military
# >conflict with Israel? A very wise Persian saying says: "Thousands of
# >friends are too few and one enemy is too much!". Have we really too
# >few enemies?
# >Why should we try to make enemies unnecessarily?

# Israel has not had military conflict with Iran nor will dare to have one
# with Iran.

Israel already has a military conflict with Iran. Only it is
taking place in Lebanon.

# My concern is just the supporters of Israel(e.g. USA, Israel)
# that are trying to create a base to start a conflict with Iran likewise
# USA did same thing to Iraq, that is why Iraq has been under attack by
# Western Government and UN. They are trying to set the same trap on Iran.
# I am not opposing with your argument. I am just basically arguing about
# that ADL report that semitists people are trying enforce about
# Iran and Iranian Government. It might have worked on Iraq but It is not
# going to work on Iran(You should go back read the ADL crapy report about
# Iranian nuclear arms). I could careless if Israel is having military
# conflict with Iran. Because I know they don't have the guts to attack Iran.
# If they do attack Iran, the Moslem country will vanish(?) the little Israel
# off the world map. And thats a promise.

I see you are in the habit of making impossible promises. Are you
that desperate that you must dream "the impossible dream"?
--
There are three types of people in the world. Those that are good
at math and those that are not.

mako...@enuxhb.eas.asu.edu

seth.r.rosenthal

Feb 1, 1993, 11:09:03 AM2/1/93
In article <ETXMAJZ.93...@solsta-c.solsta.ericsson.se>, etx...@solsta-c.solsta.ericsson.se (Majid Zolfaghari TX/DKG) writes:

> > I simply say 'screw' the ADL report. This is just jewish propeganda
> > against the Iran.
> >
> > Lets check on Israel military(supported by USA) first before talking about
> > Iran's internal affair.
> >
> > As Iran repeatedly has said: It will stop its militray build up as long as
> > the International Commission destroy Israel's nuclear technology.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >

> > Amir
>

> Our problem is the high rate of population, high number of illiterates,
> the structural economic problems (what happens with us when the oil
> finishes?), lack of tecknocrats, engineers and so on, (while we have
> so many on the other parts of the world), bad relationship with other
> countries and many others.

Nice to hear a reasonable post on this issue occasionally, thanks Majid.

I have noticed that in the US there is no lack of educated Iranians,
capable of being the technocrats and engineers of which
you speak. The big question is why are all of you talented
people over here instead of over there?
What is causing the rising Iranian educated classes to
run to Los Angeles, Paris, New York and London?
So, the real discussion should be what is it about Iran that
causes this brain-drain?

Seth Rosenthal

Disclaimer: All opinions are my own not my employers'.

Brad Hernlem

Feb 1, 1993, 12:02:39 PM2/1/93
In article <1993Jan28.1...@r-node.pci.on.ca>,

nda...@r-node.pci.on.ca (Nigel Allen) writes:
> Here is a press release from the Anti-Defamation League.
>
> ADL Report Examines Iran's Military Build-Up
> To: National and Foreign Desks
> Contact: Myrna Shinbaum of the Anti-Defamation League,
> 212-490-2525, ext. 145
>
> NEW YORK, Jan. 28 --
[..]

> The report names Iran the leader of the radical camp opposed to
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> any Arab-Israeli reconciliation and accuses it of promoting terrorist
> acts designed to derail the peace talks.
[..]

> -30-
> --
> Nigel Allen, Toronto, Ontario nda...@r-node.pci.on.ca

HA!? I thought that award went to Israel. Israel seeks to reconcile its
differences with the Palestinians by deporting them, building
settlements around them, seizing their land, imprisoning them without
charges, torturing them, shooting their children, taking their water,
imposing laws and taxes on them which they do not impose on their own
people, etc...

Who is the radical? Who is committing the terrorism ("designed to derail
the peace talks")?

Brad Hernlem (her...@chess.ncsu.EDU)

Elie Rosenfeld

Feb 1, 1993, 12:31:10 PM2/1/93
In article <1993Jan30.1...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, mtag...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Amir Taghavi) writes:

|> As Iran repeatedly has said: It will stop its militray build up as long as
|> the International Commission destroy Israel's nuclear technology.

Yes, I'm quite certain that it will. It will even take steps to *reduce* it's
arsenal - by dropping excess bombs and missiles on Israel.
--
Elie Rosenfeld | "I am what I am, Leila -- and if there are self-made
Bellcore | purgatories, then we all must live in them.

Brad Hernlem

Feb 1, 1993, 12:36:03 PM2/1/93
In article <1993Feb1.1...@cbnewsl.cb.att.com>,

Speaking from my opinion (I am not Iranian but I know many), much of
this "brain-drain" is due to war and economic hardship or uncertainty.
Those that have left, particularly before the revolution, are faced with
the difficulty of returning to a home that they left so many years ago
and has changed so much from what they remember. In my opinion, this
happens to all people who have remained away from some place for a very
long time and 14+ years is a very long time in anyone's life.

The West concentrates on the hardship which it perceives as being
imposed by the Iranian government (just as it did during the Shah's
reign) but ignores the hardship imposed by the West. Let us all treat
each other as human beings and remember that it is a sin to covet what
is not ours. If the West, and the US in particular, would lift its
policies of economic isolation from Iran it could more readily build its
more important resources (other than oil) and its people could live in
peace. Rafsanjani reminded the US, the other day, that improved
relations cannot happen without the US taking steps to end its seige on
Iran. Some will tout this as a threat but what it really amounts to is a
statement of the obvious; that economic cooperation is stifled by the
failure of the US government to settle its monetary disputes with Iran
and return or compensate Iran for seized assets.

Brad Hernlem (her...@chess.ncsu.EDU)

Brad Hernlem

Feb 1, 1993, 2:53:24 PM2/1/93

I would just like to add that Iran, along with some 120 other countries,
recently signed an agreement on the elimination of chemical weapons
despite the fact that most Arab countries refused to sign on the
principle that Israel was not a signatory to the Nuclear
Non-Proliferation Treaty and that Israel's nuclear weapons are a grave
threat to the region.

Brad Hernlem (her...@chess.ncsu.EDU)

N.O. Monaghan

Feb 1, 1993, 3:06:41 PM2/1/93
nda...@r-node.pci.on.ca (Nigel Allen) writes:
>Here is a press release from the Anti-Defamation League.
> NEW YORK, Jan. 28 -- Iran is engaged in a massive military
>build-up that will soon give it weapons of mass destruction
>and the means to deliver them long distance, according to "Iran: A
>Growing Strategic Challenge to Israel and the Western World," a new
>report by the Anti-Defamation League (ADL).

How ridiculous - Iran a threat to the Western World! Even if Iran were
to gain nuclear capability, I do not think that it would suddenly start
lobbing nuclear missiles into Europe. Let us be clear about what this
means - there is a perceived threat to Isreal (which already has a
considerable stock of nuclear warheads, and itself might well be termed
a threat to the Western World), not to the West.

> "First we must recognize the threat that Iran poses to the safety
>and security of the Middle East and to the entire democratic world,"

So Iran is suddenly going to start menacing actions against North &
South America, Europe, South Africa, Japan, Australia and New Zealand?
No, I don't think so.

> "The implications to Israel are obvious," Foxman said. "The
>threat of nuclear or chemical attack from afar is becoming ominously
>real." Iran is working with North Korea and China to develop and
>produce in Iran a super-long-range Scud-type missile which would
>allow Teheran to hit Tel Aviv.

The truth of the matter - nothing to do with the West at all.
Of course there might be a threat to Israel, just as Israel is a threat
to other countries in the Middle East - but the claims made above are
really rather outrageous.

N.O. Monaghan

mona...@dcs.gla.ac.uk

Behzad Sadeghi

Feb 1, 1993, 3:12:47 PM2/1/93

it looks like sci ahaalee have managed to gather all our zionist
friends here once again. this is turning into some kind of a ritual
that happens once every couple of months. and to our new members;
it usually turns into a discussion of the rushdie's death sentence.

behzad

p.s. i don't know about you folks, but i think we're becoming
highly predictable.

Anoosh Hosseini

Feb 1, 1993, 5:28:10 PM2/1/93
In article <1993Feb1.0...@ennews.eas.asu.edu>, mako...@enuxhb.eas.asu.edu (David Makowsky) writes:
|> In article <1993Feb1.0...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> mtag...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Amir Taghavi) writes:
|>
|> # In article <ETXMAJZ.93...@solsta-c.solsta.ericsson.se> etx...@solsta-c.solsta.ericsson.se (Majid Zolfaghari TX/DKG) writes:

[stuff deleted...]

|> # Iranian nuclear arms). I could careless if Israel is having military
|> # conflict with Iran. Because I know they don't have the guts to attack Iran.
|> # If they do attack Iran, the Moslem country will vanish(?) the little Israel
|> # off the world map. And thats a promise.
|>
|> I see you are in the habit of making impossible promises. Are you
|> that desperate that you must dream "the impossible dream"?

Dear countrymen,
do not waste your time, we have replied to such reports and
issues like Mr. Rushdie, over and over again in News groups these past
years. Has anyone grown wiser because of it? Their mission is clear.

They will say stand on your head, we stand on our heads hoping to win
approval. Then they say hang from a tree, we follow, but these people are
never going to be happy with us, because that is not their goal. Very few
foreigners criticize Iran for the goal of making Iran a better place for
its people. Only Iranians who have a sense of belonging can have
positive motives.

|> --
|> There are three types of people in the world. Those that are good
|> at math and those that are not.

Some years back a U.S. politician said something slightly negative
about land referred to as occupied Palestine. Within 24 hours he
was back in the news apologizing, and begging forgiveness. For us
living in the land of the free, there are 2 mathematically efficient
solutions available to this dilemma. Either say nothing in order not
to take up network bandwidth again tomorrow to apologize, or if one
is going to say something, better apologize in the next paragraph
to save time.

I am sorry for anything "wrong" I may have said.

>mako...@enuxhb.eas.asu.edu

-anoosh

Adam Shostack

Feb 3, 1993, 10:50:49 AM2/3/93
In article <sehari.7...@vincent1.iastate.edu> far...@apollo3.ntt.jp (Farzin Mokhtarian) writes:

>@ In discussing the militarization of Iran, the ADL report, prepared
>@ by its International Affairs Division, observes that Iran is in the
>@ middle of a five-year military modernization plan that will
>@ revolutionize its armed forces. "Chemical, biological and nuclear
>@ technology is becoming available," the report warns. "The Soviet
>@ Union's disintegration has led to a fire-sale of top-line
>@ conventional weaponry, especially long-range bombers." Iran is
>@ likely to have a nuclear weapon within five to eight years, unless
>@ its nuclear program is slowed or halted.

>@ According to the ADL report, China, Russia, Pakistan and Brazil
>@ are aiding Iran's nuclear bomb effort by either building nuclear
>@ power plants for Iran or providing it with technology to enhance
>@ nuclear weapons development within the decade.

>2. Iran is entitled to nuclear energy like anybody else. Iran has
> declared the country ready for inspections by the International
> Atomic Energy Agency at anytime. Despite that, Germany refused
> to observe its obligations towards Iran and complete a nuclear
> power plant in Iran.

As has been aptly demonstrated by Iraq, inspections by the
IAEA are a farce. In 1990, the twice yearly IAEA team declared
Iraqicooperation "exemplary." Inspectors visited the Al Tuwaitha
complex, where Iraq was engaged in building a bomb, they visited only
buildings selected by the Iraqis. (Source: The New Yourker, 1 Feb)

Does Germany have an obligation to complete a reactor if there
is good reason to believe it is being used to build a bomb? I don't
think so, and hopefully, Germany has learned from its mistakes in
blindly selling the Iraqi government anything it wanted to buy.

If Iran is willing to submit to random, unannounced searches
of any building the nuclear powers, including the US and Britian,
choose to search, then it should be allowed to go ahead with its plant
building. But no country is reqired to sell another advanced
technology that could be used to build a nuclear weapon. Any country
that does sell such technology should demand the right to inspect to
ensure that it is not being misapropriated into a nuclear device.

Adam
Adam Shostack ad...@das.harvard.edu

"If we had a budget big enough for drugs and sexual favors, we sure
wouldn't waste them on members of Congress..." -John Perry Barlow

J. Naghizadeh

Feb 4, 1993, 8:07:56 AM2/4/93

>So, the real discussion should be what is it about Iran that
>causes this brain-drain?

> Seth Rosenthal
Sir:

Could you perhaps explain what causes many educated Israelis to leave
Israel and work in western countries like US?

Thank you.

--jamshid

Ala

Feb 4, 1993, 6:43:09 PM2/4/93

= : / : | | |
_,_) o_,_o,_p_ 4_) _,_|_o | |_7 4_ |q
(_S / : ( : (_S (| . (_S /

| | = | . | . |
. > |_,_w_ . | _)_ > 4_ | > q_7 c |_9 > 4_ _D q_ _o
/ c . (_) / : . / / (_ . /. /

Ala U_c

Gedaliah Friedenberg

Feb 4, 1993, 9:16:16 PM2/4/93

I have a friend who will translate this for me. I will post it tomorrow.
My friend is an Israeli Arab (Christian) who studied at the Haifa U,
and is now studying for a PhD in my Department. He says that this is
not regular arabic, but probably Iranian (from the x post). He will
find out the meaning, and let me know.

|> Ala U_c

Gedaliah Friedenberg
-=-Department of Mechanical Engineering
-=-Department of Metallurgy, Mechanics and Materials Science
-=-Michigan State University

David Marc Nieporent

Feb 5, 1993, 4:52:37 AM2/5/93
In article <C1sD7...@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk> mona...@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk (N.O. Monaghan) writes:
>nda...@r-node.pci.on.ca (Nigel Allen) writes:
>>Here is a press release from the Anti-Defamation League.

>> NEW YORK, Jan. 28 -- Iran is engaged in a massive military
>>build-up that will soon give it weapons of mass destruction
>>and the means to deliver them long distance, according to "Iran: A
>>Growing Strategic Challenge to Israel and the Western World," a new
>>report by the Anti-Defamation League (ADL).

>How ridiculous - Iran a threat to the Western World! Even if Iran were
>to gain nuclear capability, I do not think that it would suddenly start
>lobbing nuclear missiles into Europe. Let us be clear about what this
>means - there is a perceived threat to Isreal (which already has a
>considerable stock of nuclear warheads, and itself might well be termed
>a threat to the Western World), not to the West.

Yah. Israel is likely to attack Britain sometime soon.

>> "First we must recognize the threat that Iran poses to the safety
>>and security of the Middle East and to the entire democratic world,"

>So Iran is suddenly going to start menacing actions against North &
>South America, Europe, South Africa, Japan, Australia and New Zealand?
>No, I don't think so.

Sure, like they'd never take over a foreign embassy. Or finance the
kidnapping of Westerners in Beirut. Or fund the guy who goes around
shooting up airports in Rome and Vienna. Or blow up planes over Scotland.

>> "The implications to Israel are obvious," Foxman said. "The
>>threat of nuclear or chemical attack from afar is becoming ominously
>>real." Iran is working with North Korea and China to develop and
>>produce in Iran a super-long-range Scud-type missile which would
>>allow Teheran to hit Tel Aviv.

>The truth of the matter - nothing to do with the West at all.
>Of course there might be a threat to Israel, just as Israel is a threat
>to other countries in the Middle East - but the claims made above are
>really rather outrageous.

Tell that to Salman Rushdie.

--
David M. Nieporent | Storm Davis, Bob Milacki, and maybe Jeff Ballard to
niepornt@phoenix. | Oakland? Billy Ripken to Texas? Now, if we could

seth.r.rosenthal

Feb 5, 1993, 9:42:21 AM2/5/93

Sure, so much money is spent on defense since they are constantly
in danger of extinction, that they cannot spend money on
domestic improvements or economic advancement. Taxes in
Israel are some of the highest in the world. Job opportunities
for non-war related industries are limited (see the
number of Russian PHD's sweeping the streets of Tel Aviv).
That's why Israel asked for the loan guarantees, they couldn't
possibly tax their citizens any more than they have.

Not to mention, that terrorist attacks on Israeli civilians
and schoolchildren do reduce the desirability of living
there for people who aren't 100% committed to Israel,
either nationalistically or religiously. Lots of Israelis
I know, descended from survivors of the Holocaust figure
Israel is the next Holocaust waiting to happen as soon
as some looney gets nuclear weapons.

Is Iran about to be over-run by someone I missed?

How about Iraq, are you more secure today than you were before
Saddam decided to annex Kuwait?