Marlon Brando? Anybody see the broadcast?

IVJOY

Apr 7, 1996, 4:00:00 AM4/7/96
After several days of trying to find a news broadcast of the Larry King
show, I am frustrated. Does anyone know exactly what was said by Brando?

Shalom,

Russell

Scott

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96

I only saw excerpts on the news yesterday, and again on Entertainment
Tonight. It seems he was complaining that "the Jews" who "own/run
Hollywood" don't show enough "compassion" to other groups in the
production of movies. And that he is "very angry with the jews, very
angry with the god-damn Jews".

He allegedly also said afterwards that he had a lot of respect for
"the Jews" because of their "great accomplishments". Sorta sounds like
the all-encompassing "I don't dislike Jews, some of my best friends
are Jews".
<sarcasm on>
Hmmmm.... doesn't sound like anti-semitism to me.
<sarcasm off>

--
Scott

Malcolm Woolfe

Apr 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/11/96

Dear Scott

I saw the whole interview and find the response by many on this 'newsgroup'
one of racial paranoia. Marlon Brando came across as a man who had thought a
great amount about the abuse of power by the Hollywood Macha's. Most were
Jews, but had they been Catholics or Hindus, he would have had the same
feelings towards Catholic & or Hindu Macha's.

If this is racism then I too am an ANTISEMITE. What is even worse, a Jewish
ANTISEMITE.

As I advised another contributor, "believe nothing of what you hear and only
half of what you see"

Regards

Malcolm Woolfe.......

PS I would be willing to pay CNN a reasnoble fee for a copy of the interview.
Perhaps it is on CNN's http.

Andy Katz

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
iv...@aol.com (IVJOY) wrote:

>After several days of trying to find a news broadcast of the Larry King
>show, I am frustrated. Does anyone know exactly what was said by Brando?

Forvertz published the salient parts of the interview. Brando seems
awkward and inarticulate, frequently at a loss for words. The most
inflammatory part of his statement, "I am goddamned angry at the
jews..." seems like an aside, an attempt to clarify his position. The
rest is little different from say, Neal Gabler's (An Empire Of Their
Own: How The Jews Invented Hollywood) thesis about how German and East
European Jews largely subsumed their own identities to gain acceptance
in American cultural and economic life. Old Hollywood (and, to an
extent, present day Hollywood) provided stereotypical images of all
people--except for the jews (unless one counts The Jazz Singer). This
was, I'm sure, partly due to modesty, the sense that they felt their
own lives perhaps were not the stuff of great stories. Interestingly
or not, they treated their adopted city, Los Angeles, in much the same
way. I can think of no film before Double Indemnity (1944) in which
the setting was LA *as* LA.

I don't think Brando's statements were antisemetic so much as
awkwardly stated. He did not state that jews control media to the
detriment of American society.

Maybe Hef got it right when he said Brando is a very sweet, very
gentle, but not altogether bright man.

Andy Katz

_____________________________
So sophisticated is my Net
presence that I now disdain
sigs, ascii & even urls.

a...@bway.net
a...@texas.net
Andre...@aol.com

Harvey S. Cohen

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
m.wo...@auntie.bbcnc.org.uk (Malcolm Woolfe) wrote:
>I saw the whole interview and find the response by many on this 'newsgroup'
>one of racial paranoia. Marlon Brando came across as a man who had thought a
>great amount about the abuse of power by the Hollywood Macha's. Most were
>Jews, but had they been Catholics or Hindus, he would have had the same
>feelings towards Catholic & or Hindu Macha's.

Could someone who feels the above view is reasonable please pick a relevant
category, such as "CEOs of major studios" or "Producers of feature films with
budgets over $1M" and list the Jewish and non-Jewish members of the category?
Or at least provide percent Jewish membership in the category, citing a
credible source?
My personal impression, for what it's worth, is that people start seeing Jews
as a "majority" at around 12% to 25% membership.
I am willing to credit Brando's sincerity, but what are the facts?
--
Harvey....@att.com

Javier Delgadillo

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96

Well,...is it true or not that Hollywood is owned by jews?

Why is it so bad to say it publicly? The jews should
be proud that they can control/maintain the movie industry,
shouldn't they?

What Brando said is true,...anyways, why such so much animosity?

Really, everybody knows Hollywood is a jewish industry. What are
you trying to hide?

J. Delgadillo

Richard A. Ifft

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
In <316ea79c...@nntpa.cb.att.com> h...@zippy.ho.att.com (Harvey S.

I'd like to know why you are "willing to credit Brando's sincerity." I
don't understand crediting the sincerity of anyone who starts a
sentence with "Jews" and ends it with a negative predicate. Any
negative stereotyping of Jews surely should not be credited with being
sincere. Cruel, stupid, ignorant, nasty, wicked, I can see those as
being attributes of people who say negative things about Jews as a
group, but sincerity doesn't seem an appropriate attribute.

For all intents and purposes, what he said was that Jews have destroyed
the reputation and image of every minority group in the country while
being nice to each other, and only each other. I just don't see how
his "sincerity" is relevant.

Beth.

Gwen A Orel

Apr 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/13/96
Javier Delgadillo (jde...@cs.ucsb.edu) wrote:

: Well,...is it true or not that Hollywood is owned by jews?

No, it is not true. I'm Jewish and I don't own Hollywood.
Some producers control Hollywood and yes, some of them are
Jewish. But their being Jewish is incidental.

: Why is it so bad to say it publicly? The jews should

: be proud that they can control/maintain the movie industry,
: shouldn't they?

See above. It's not "the Jews" who own anything, but
a group of successful businessmen.

: What Brando said is true,...anyways, why such so much animosity?

: Really, everybody knows Hollywood is a jewish industry. What are
: you trying to hide?

: J. Delgadillo

What Brando did was to blame an ethnic group for all the negative
stereotyping of ethnic groups which he happens to like.
It always amazes me how when Jews do manage to succeed in an industry
the industry suddenly becomes Jewish. It's so absurd. It's
because we are a minority. You might as well start seeing ethnic
conspiracies in the 99% of all industries which are owned by
Christians.

Gwen

--
"Live as one already dead." --Japanese saying

I live in fear of not being misunderstood.-- Oscar wilde

Javier Delgadillo

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/15/96

It is amazing! Why do you try to evade the issue at all costs?

It is not incidental that the "successfull businessmen" who run
hollywood happen to be jewish, and you know it, come on.

There is at least one book (written by a jew), that I know of, in
which the movie industry is boastfully shown to be entirely a
"creation" of the jews; no bones about it. (I am sure it is not
the only book).

J. Delgadillo

Harvey S. Cohen

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/15/96

There is at least one book (supposedly written by Jews) in which Christianity
is shown to be a "creation" of the Jews.
Does that mean that Jews are responsible for all the massacres perpetrated by
Crusaders, the Inquisition, etc.?
--
Harvey....@att.com

Gwen A Orel

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/15/96
Javier Delgadillo (jde...@cs.ucsb.edu) wrote:

: It is amazing! Why do you try to evade the issue at all costs?

: It is not incidental that the "successfull businessmen" who run
: hollywood happen to be jewish, and you know it, come on.

No? Why is only the Jews' religion thought to be central to
every secular endeavor? Do you speak this way of the many industries
not "run by Jews," as being fundamentally Christian? It's absurd!

: There is at least one book (written by a jew), that I know of, in

: which the movie industry is boastfully shown to be entirely a
: "creation" of the jews; no bones about it. (I am sure it is not
: the only book).

: J. Delgadillo

There may be such a book but I am arguing with *you*, not some unnamed
author whose "authority" I question.

Javier Delgadillo

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/16/96

Getting away from the point...The notion that Christianity is a creation
of the jews is certainly claimed by the jews; specially when it serves
their (your) purposes. But, it is well known by everyone with the least
bit of curiosity that jews hate <underlined> anything having to do
with Christ or Christianity. The claim that Christ and most of his
disciples were jews and rabbis (in some cases) is another of the
incredibly deceptive claims (lies) that jews advance. Of course, this
will be denied by you, just as easily as you deny the facts about
Hollywood, radio, publishing houses, Wall Street,....

But, you are not fooling as many people as you used to.

J. Delgadillo

Elsa22

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/17/96
Marlon Brando said that we Jews never put negative stereotypes of Jews in
OUR movies.

Well, that's funny because a few years ago my younger sister complained to
me that everytime there are Jews on TV and Movies, they are always "weird
and nerdy."

Examples??

The nerdy overweight kid in Goonies was Jewish.

The nerdy kid in the Addams Family was Jewish.

Fred Savage's nerdy buddy in The Wonder Years was Jewish.

The slightly nerdy woman on Beverly Hills 90120 was supposed to be Jewish.

I think Brando needs to think a little before opening his mouth.

David Snyder

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/17/96
In article <4l3s97$h...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, els...@aol.com (Elsa22) wrote:

> [...]

> Well, that's funny because a few years ago my younger sister complained to
> me that everytime there are Jews on TV and Movies, they are always "weird
> and nerdy."

> [...]

This is a problem?

Actually some of my friends and I have noticed that Jews and Asians are
often depicted in similar ways in film and television when they occur at
all. We have also noticed the lack of positively portrayed nerds.

In short,

We who are Jewish and/or Asian nerds are people too!

- Jewish Nerd and Proud of it

;)

mei...@erols.com

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/18/96
jde...@cs.ucsb.edu (Javier Delgadillo) wrote:

>J. Delgadillo
Javier, if you keep this discussions up you will just antagonize and
get your feelings hurt. Your not going to change our minds and if we
try to rebut what you say, you're not going tolike it. Enjoy your
faith in Jesus and don't get into fights with us. I think you would
enjoy yourself more with other Christians. I would like to ask,
however, that in your dealings with them, you refrain from negative
things about Jews and Judaism, even if they supported by your Bible.
Let Christianity stand on its own, and not inconrtast to some other
set of beliefs, that it will then seem necessary to deride.

Shalom

mei...@erols.com also not a posek

"Purify our hearts to serve You in truth."

mei...@erols.com

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/18/96
dasn...@uci.edu (David Snyder) wrote:

>This is a problem?

>In short,

>;)
I used to remember a longer list, but there was Skippy Handelman on
Family Ties; Geiger on ER, (I'm sorry , I used toi know 5 or 8 more)
and all the Jews who date or marry gentiles.

Steve Erkel is practically the only non-Jew in a hit show to get such
a jerky personal.

Joe Martin

Apr 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/20/96
Elsa22 wrote:

> Marlon Brando said that we Jews never put negative stereotypes of Jews in
> OUR movies.
>
> Well, that's funny because a few years ago my younger sister complained to
> me that everytime there are Jews on TV and Movies, they are always "weird
> and nerdy."
>
> Examples??
>
> The nerdy overweight kid in Goonies was Jewish.
>
> The nerdy kid in the Addams Family was Jewish.

This really piss's me off! The evil demons in this movie were the little
blonde haired, blue eyed white kids. It was one of the most racist
movies to cross the silver screen in recent memory!

Barbara E. Walton

Apr 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/21/96
On 15 Apr 1996, Javier Delgadillo wrote:

> It is amazing! Why do you try to evade the issue at all costs?
>
> It is not incidental that the "successfull businessmen" who run
> hollywood happen to be jewish, and you know it, come on.

The book you refer to, "An Empire of Their Own," traces some ethnic Jews
who made it in Hollywood... There are about 10 of them. Out of about 18
million Jews. One can hardly say that 10/18,000,000 is a significant
enough majority to say "Jews own the entertainment industry." And it
should be pointed out that all the Jews mentioned there are only ethnic
Jews, bagels-and-lox Jews, so they weren't exactly using the medium *as
Jews*. Most of them didn't even self-identify as Jews; there is a story
about Selznick trying to tell people that he wasn't a Jew, and only being
convinced when all the non-Jews he suggested a reporter ask about the
subject said, "Of course David's a Jew." So what you have is a bunch of
recent immigrants who were literate (now we reach the real issue of
ethnic Jewish success) and ambitious. But to say their point or their
methods were at all Jewish is ridiculous; they were secularists.

-----
Barbara E. Walton
<ah...@freenet.buffalo.edu>
http://freenet.buffalo.edu/~ah329

NRTABOR

Apr 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/21/96
Russell, this has been greatly exaggerated by the liberal media. Brando
did not say anything antisemetic. It may have been distasteful but not
racist.

Claude

Victor Filler

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
In article <316ea79c...@nntpa.cb.att.com>,

h...@zippy.ho.att.com (Harvey S. Cohen) wrote:
>m.wo...@auntie.bbcnc.org.uk (Malcolm Woolfe) wrote:
>>I saw the whole interview and find the response by many on this 'newsgroup'
>>one of racial paranoia. Marlon Brando came across as a man who had thought a
>>great amount about the abuse of power by the Hollywood Macha's. Most were
>>Jews, but had they been Catholics or Hindus, he would have had the same
>>feelings towards Catholic & or Hindu Macha's.
>
>Could someone who feels the above view is reasonable please pick a relevant
>category, such as "CEOs of major studios" or "Producers of feature films with
>budgets over $1M" and list the Jewish and non-Jewish members of the category?
>Or at least provide percent Jewish membership in the category, citing a
>credible source?
>My personal impression, for what it's worth, is that people start seeing Jews
>as a "majority" at around 12% to 25% membership.
>I am willing to credit Brando's sincerity, but what are the facts?

I recently heard Michael Medved, the movie critic (and the only Orthodox Jew
in in the field I know of), say that "10 out of 10" of the heads of major
movie companies are Jews. In Midstream magazine someone put the figure at 12
out of 12.

Medved, like Brando, was arguing (as he does at length in his book "Hollywood
versus America") that moviemakers have a duty to use their great power to
influence the public in more positive, responsible ways. On the details,
Medved and Brando are divided. Medved, a prominent conservative (he sometimes
fills in for Rush Limbaugh), wishes movies would show more respect for family
values, religion etc. Brando undoubtedly favors his usual leftwing agenda.

I didn't see the Larry King broadcast, but the entire transcript of the Jewish
-related part of the show was printed in the the weekly Forward. In fairness
to Brando, his offense was not as grave as has been made out, in my opinion.
His remarks about Jews running Hollywood came at the end of a long discourse
on how wonderful the Jews are, how much they have contributed to America, how
he sends his kids to a Jewish school etc. He is 70 years old, and said he was
befuddled by the lights, interruptions, and hectic atmosphere of the TV show.
So possibly Brando has gotten something of a bum rap.

Since the controversy he has repented profusely.

As for the JDL making Brando's life a living hell, it seems that for many
years his life been a living hell without their help.

Vic