Delicacies (was: Aiver Min Hachai Question)

Michael Shimshoni

Jan 2, 1994, 5:33:05 AM1/2/94
In: <1993Dec29.1...@tudor.com>
sh...@tudor.com (Dan Shimoff) asks at the end:

>While I do not think we are proscribed from eating "mountain
>oysters" (testicles), since they are usually gained from an
>bull while making it a steer, would this be problematic as
>it would be of the prohibition of aiver min hachai (eating
>a limb of a living animal)?
>
>I am honestly not about to try this so-called delicacy,

Why not if Kasher? (I had the impression that Dan was orthodox not
conservative (-:).

> but
>I thought it might be an interesting question to ask. Is there
>such a thing as kosher testicles (from a bull that was
>slaughtered) where this would not be an issue?

As by now, or soon, Dan will live in Israel, he might be interested in
my reply that in many of the (Kasher) Eastern (Yemenite etc.)
restaurants he can obtain that delicacy. On the menu they are often
referred to by the Hebrew equivalent of the English slang word
"balls", i.e. betzim (eggs).

>Dan Shimoff

Enjoy, Enjoy,

Michael Shimshoni

P.S. That meat is also available from many butchers, so if Mrs
Shimoff is ready to learn to prepare them, now is her opportunity! In
order not to sound sexist I'll add, if in their home, Dan is the cook,
he can do it.

Dan Shimoff

Jan 4, 1994, 2:49:11 PM1/4/94
>As by now, or soon, Dan will live in Israel, he might be interested in
>my reply that in many of the (Kasher) Eastern (Yemenite etc.)
>restaurants he can obtain that delicacy. On the menu they are often
>referred to by the Hebrew equivalent of the English slang word
>"balls", i.e. betzim (eggs).

This thread is petering :-0 down with the following facts learned:
1. "Bull's balls" (BB) may be kosher if still attached at time of slaughter.
2. BB are problematic if the animal is castrated (either ever min hachai or
just plain old not kosher cuz the animal isn't slaughtered) - according
to most people's understanding of halachic sources.
3. Eastern (Yemenite) restaurants serve these BB.
4. Jews may not castrate or neuter animals most, if not all, of the time.
5. Non-Jews may castrate or neuter animals before Jews get them.

Now, where do they get these uncastrated bulls from, such that there are
enough around to keep the price of BB below some astronomical price? Most
bulls are castrated to increase meat production and to keep them somewhat
docile. So...(and that was my original intent on asking this question)?

>>Dan Shimoff
>
>Enjoy, Enjoy,
>
>Michael Shimshoni
>
>P.S. That meat is also available from many butchers, so if Mrs
>Shimoff is ready to learn to prepare them, now is her opportunity! In
>order not to sound sexist I'll add, if in their home, Dan is the cook,
>he can do it.

No way. Mrs. Shimoff, once she knows how to cook BB, might just improvise
if she doesn't get things her way. That is in Wall Street parlance called
a "bad trade". She cooks no balls, I feel safer.

PS. Has anyone else been tempted to change the subject of this thread to
"Ritual Genital Mutiliation" or a I the one only bored by the redundancy of
that thread?

Dan Shimoff
Phone: (212) 602-6798
Address: sh...@tudor.com