bringing stuff into the US from Japan

Mark Crispin

Sep 22, 1989, 3:56:41 PM9/22/89

I do it all the time. If you are accompanying the goods from Japan
you can bring in $400 duty-free, plus a flat 10% duty on the next
$1000 worth, then whatever the duty rate is. Laser discs are 5.3%. I
don't know what the duty rate is for video tapes or electronics; it is
higher though. I always use my exemption for tapes/electronics and
pay duty on the discs to save money.

Books are not dutiable.

If you are into bishojo, loli-con, or bishonen materials, be advised
that customs *does* frown on what might be considered pornography.
I've never had any problems, but then again I didn't specifically
mention my "Creme Lemon" tapes. At that time, they were much more
interested in charging me duty on my "Urusei Yatsura" (no problems;
girls in tiger-skin bikini's are OK) and "Mezon Ikkoku" laser discs.

The last time, I brought in four sets of the complete "Mexon Ikkoku"
TV series. I went directly to the red customs line -- I *knew* they
would want to have a nice long chat with me! The sheer quantity (96
discs) got their attention all right, but after about 1/2 hour they
agreed I was for real and they charged me exactly the duty I figured
they would.

Mark Crispin / 6158 Lariat Loop NE / Bainbridge Island, WA 98110-2020
m...@CAC.Washington.EDU / M...@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil / (206) 842-2385
Atheist & Proud / 450cc Rebel pilot -- a step up from 250cc's!!!
tabesaserarenakerebanaranakattarashii...kisha no kisha ga kisha de kisha-shita
sumomo mo momo, momo mo momo, momo ni mo iroiro aru
uraniwa ni wa niwa, niwa ni wa niwa niwatori ga iru

Ned D. Danieley

Sep 25, 1989, 10:30:44 AM9/25/89
Does anyone know what the duty is on martial-arts supplies (bokken,
jo, gi, etc)? How about good places to shop for such goods? I'm
going over in November with a group of Aikidoka, and I'm sure we'll
want to load up.

Btw, the info on what to do in and around Tokyo is great; keep it
coming!

Ned Danieley (n...@sunbar.mc.duke.edu)
Basic Arrhythmia Laboratory
Box 3140, Duke University Medical Center
Durham, NC 27710
(919) 684-6807 or 684-6942