@@ Jews spy on Jews on Iran, interesting! @@

Arash

Aug 28, 2004, 2:01:29 AM8/28/04
This is interesting, Jews spy on Jews.

Lets look at the facts:
-- Jews own America, so why they would need to spy on it.

-- Jew 'Paul Wolfowitz', and Jew 'Douglas Feith' are working directly on
behalf of government of Israel, they do not give a damn about U.S.

-- 'AIPAC' is not simply a pro-Israel lobby, it is actually a major part of
U.S. government, just look at its members and see how many of them are
working either directly or as a consultant for the U.S. government.

-- Jew 'Douglas Feith' is the leader of Azari-Zionists and along with Jew
'Brenda Shaffer', and Jew 'Efraim Inbar' have poured millions into Fascist
Skinhead Azari-Zionists to create a proxy separatist group in Iran.

Now, knowing all of this why would Jews spy on themselves!

There is more to this story, than what we are being told!

=============================
CBS News
August 27, 2004

FBI Probes Pentagon Spy Case

The FBI believes it has "solid" evidence that the suspected mole supplied
Israel with classified materials that include secret White House policy
deliberations on Iran.

http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2004/08/27/image639146x.jpg
The FBI investigation is headed by Dave Szady

CBS News has learned that the FBI has a full-fledged espionage investigation
under way and is about to -- in FBI terminology -- "roll up" someone agents
believe has been spying not for an enemy, but for Israel from within the
office of the Secretary of Defense at the Pentagon.

60 Minutes Correspondent 'Lesley Stahl' [very anti-Iran Jew] reports the FBI
believes it has "solid" evidence that the suspected mole supplied Israel
with classified materials that include secret White House policy
deliberations on Iran.

At the heart of the investigation are two people who work at The 'American
Israel Public Affairs Committee' (www.aipac.org), a powerful pro-Israel
lobby in Washington.

The FBI investigation, headed up by 'Dave Szady', has involved wiretaps,
undercover surveillance and photography that CBS News was told document the
passing of classified information from the mole, to the men at AIPAC, and on
to the Israelis.

CBS sources say that last year the suspected spy, described as a trusted
analyst at the Pentagon, turned over a presidential directive on U.S. policy
toward Iran while it was, "in the draft phase when U.S. policy-makers were
still debating the policy."

This put the Israelis, according to one source, "inside the decision-making
loop" so they could "try to influence the outcome."

The case raises another concern among investigators: Did Israel also use the
analyst to try to influence U.S. policy on the war in Iraq?

With ties to top Pentagon officials 'Paul Wolfowitz' and 'Douglas Feith',
the analyst was assigned to a unit within the Defense Department tasked with
helping develop the Pentagon's Iraq policy.

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has been made aware of the case. The
government notified 'AIPAC' today that it wants information about the two
employees and their contacts with a person at the Pentagon.

'AIPAC' told CBS News it is cooperating with the government and has hired
outside counsel. It denies any wrongdoing by the organization or any of its
employees.

An Israeli spokesman said, "We categorically deny these allegations. They
are completely false and outrageous." The suspected spy has not returned
repeated phone calls from CBS News.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/08/27/eveningnews/main639143.shtml

Arash

Aug 28, 2004, 5:56:58 AM8/28/04
International New & Commentary by Laura Rozen
August 27, 2004

For months, I have been working with my colleagues 'Paul Glastris' and 'Josh
Marshall' on a story for the 'Washington Monthly' about US policy towards
Iran. In particular, it involves a particular series of meetings involving
officials from the office of the undersecretary of defense for Policy 'Doug
Feith' and Iranian dissidents.

As part of our reporting, I have come into possession of information that
points to an official who is the most likely target of the FBI investigation
into who allegedly passed intelligence on deliberations on US foreign policy
to Iran to officials with the pro-Israeli lobby group, AIPAC, and to the
Israelis, as alleged by the CBS report. That individual is Larry Franklin, a
veteran DIA Iran analyst seconded to Feith's office.
Here is what I was told in the days before the FBI investigation came to
light.

A source told me that some time in July, Larry Franklin called him and asked
him to meet him in a coffee shop in Northern Virginia. Franklin had
intelligence on hostile Iranian activities in Iraq and was extremely
frustrated that he did not feel this intelligence was getting the attention
and response it deserved. The intelligence included information that the
Iranians had called all of their intelligence operatives who speak Arabic to
southern Iraq, that it had moved their top operative for Afghanistan, a guy
named Qudzi, to the Iranian embassy in Baghdad, that its operatives were
targeting Iraqi state oil facilities, and that Iranian agents were
infiltrating into northern Iraq to target the Israelis written about in a
report by Seymour Hersh. According to my source, Franklin passed the
information to the individual from AIPAC with the hope it could reach people
at higher levels of the US government who would act on it. AIPAC presented
the information to Elliot Abrams in the NSC. They also presented the part
that involved Israelis who might be targeted to the Israelis, with the
motivation to protect Israeli lives.

A couple weeks ago, my source told me, he was visited by two agents of the
FBI, who were asking about Franklin. My source couldn't tell if Franklin was
being investigated for possible wrongdoing, or if the FBI was visiting him
because Franklin required some sort of higher level security clearance or
clearance renewal, perhaps in order to get some sort of new position or
posting abroad. My source soon after ran into another official from Feith's
office, the polyglot Middle East expert and Bernard Lewis protege, Harold
Rhode. My source mentioned the FBI meeting and asked Rhode if Franklin was
in trouble. "It's not clear," Rhode allegedly told my source.

[Indeed, I have since learned that Rhode has been interviewed by the FBI,
but not, allegedly, as a subject of the investigation.]

A second source I met with this past week told me another story. A couple
weeks ago, he got called by a consultant to the Pentagon he knows. A small
group of Air Force reservists who speak Persian were being trained by the
Pentagon at a camp in Virginia in a kind of Iran immersion course, that
involved not only language immersion, but "how to play Iranian card games."
The consultant called my second source, an Iran expert, to see if this small
elite group could meet with him. He said among the group of four that was
supposed to come was Larry Franklin. Franklin in fact did not come, but sent
his regrets in a note. My second source said by the way he was terribly
impressed with the Iranian language skills that the group that did come
possessed.

When the news broke tonight on CBS about the FBI investigation, I tried to
get in touch with my first source. But when he answered his phone, he said
he couldn't talk, there were attorneys involved and he wasn't free to
discuss the case.

It's no secret that some prominent neoconservative officials like Doug
Feith, Vice Presidential advisor David Wurmser, and the former Defense
Policy Board chair Richard Perle are sympathetic to the government of Ariel
Sharon and the Likud government. Feith, Wurmser and Perle co-authored the
paper, A Clean Break, which advocated that Israel abandon the Oslo peace
process. But Franklin, although a passionate advocate of regime change in
Iran, is not really among them. From modest beginnings, Franklin reportedly
put himself through school, earned a PhD, and is now the Pentagon's top Iran
analyst. It would be an irony if he were to be the target of an
investigation into passing US intelligence to Israel.

A friend points out one other irony is that what the Pentagon official is
alleged in the CBS report to have passed to AIPAC and the Israelis is
essentially a diplomatic document that describes a draft US policy position
to Iran; in other words -- hardly the crown jewels, and hardly enough to
warrant wiretaps and surveillance of Aipac's offices, he says. "The Israelis
can get that stuff by going directly to Condoleezza Rice." In other words,
it's not deeply technical knowledge about US satellite technology, for
instance, or information the Americans had gotten from the Jordanians, or
information about say a possible secret US back channel to Hezbollah. He
wonders if this case is not politically motivated. It's no secret as well
that there's intense competition over who would be national security advisor
in a second term Bush administration. Anything that taints Feith and
Wolfowitz could benefit their internal Bush administration foes.

We obviously haven't heard the last of this yet. Stay tuned.

=======================================

Update: Or does this story leaking now indicate rather, a case of
"controlled burn?" An investigation that was leaked or interrupted before it
could go further, as reader MC suggests? Franklin is seemingly more
expendable than others. http://mitchcohen.blogspot.com/

Update II: I can't get over the sense this is a ruse, to get somebody else.
As Wagster writes in the comments below:

The NYT reports tonight:
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/28/politics/28spy.html?hp

Government officials suggested Friday that investigators were seeking
the cooperation of the Pentagon official being investigated.

Doesn't that seem to hint that they're using the media to put some heat on
the guy, and that they suspect the involvement of others? Why else would
they be seeking his cooperation?

Why else indeed.

Update III: Franklin has been investigated for this before, I'm told. What
CBS has may not be the whole thing, but part of a pattern. What I have may
be another part of a pattern. "There's got to be something else going on
here," I'm told.

Update IV: This from Knight Ridder:
http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/9518184.htm

The FBI is investigating whether a Pentagon official provided highly
classified information about U.S. policy toward Iran to the government of
Israel, senior Bush administration officials confirmed Friday.

Investigators have conducted interviews in recent weeks in the potentially
explosive case, which has been ongoing for more than a year and targets an
individual in the office of Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, the
officials said.

The case involves allegations that the unnamed Pentagon official passed
highly classified data to a prominent pro-Israel lobbying group, the
American-Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC), which in turn provided
that information to the government of Israel.

The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the
subject's sensitivity, said the FBI also is investigating the same
official's contacts with Iraqi exile leader Ahmad Chalabi and with Manucher
Ghorbanifar, a controversial Iranian arms dealer. Chalabi was a source of
much of the discredited pre-Iraq war intelligence about Iraq's weapons of
mass destruction and ties to al-Qaida.

In June, U.S. intelligence officials said they had evidence that Chalabi's
security chief had long been a paid agent of Iran's intelligence service and
that Chalabi or an aide in his Iraqi National Congress had tipped the
Iranians off that the United States had broken some Iranian communications
codes. Chalabi has denied the charge.

The CIA has twice labeled Ghorbanifar, a figure in the 1980s Iran-Contra
scandal, untrustworthy. Nevertheless, two Pentagon officials, Harold Rhode
and Larry Franklin, a Defense Intelligence Agency analyst who worked on Iraq
policy for Undersecretary of Defense for Policy Douglas Feith, met secretly
with Ghorbanifar to discuss Iran.

I wish I could say more but it will have to wait for a few more days. But
you can see where this is going. Anyhow, I am not sure Franklin really was
the official in Feith's shop who had particularly close ties to Chalabi. I
seriously wonder if Franklin is bait.

Update V: Thanks to Jonathan at Daily Kos for the link.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2004/8/28/0028/16851

Posted by Laura at August 27, 2004 11:26 PM

Comments
Wow, now I'm totally confused...

Posted by: enozinho at August 28, 2004 12:09 AM
===================================

It sounds like Doug Feith's office is the nexus for a lot of things. I have
a feeling this all has something to do with the leaking of code intel to
Chalabi, too.

Is this the sort of "tight ship" we can expect Bush to run in a second term,
too?

Posted by: Jonathan at August 28, 2004 12:12 AM
======================================

Incredible reporting Laura.

You are way ahead of the curve with this post.

When is the Washington Monthly article going to be published?

Posted by: jhaugh9 at August 28, 2004 12:27 AM
====================================

Of course, as Laura noted in the article, it's possible this is a
politically-motivated sting designed to make Feith's office look bad. Still,
it would appear that some rather shady dealings have been going on from that
office. And either way, it would seem the Bush administration is completely
out of control. If this is politically motivated, it's freakin' warlordism.

Posted by: Jonathan at August 28, 2004 12:30 AM
=====================================

Laura quite a reveal. Take a look at this article by Julian Borger at The
Guardian. Perhaps there's a connection of the Israeli agent with what your
reporting.

The spies who pushed for war
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,999737,00.html
The Guardian UK, Thursday July 17, 2003

Julian Borger reports on the shadow rightwing intelligence network set up in
Washington to second-guess the CIA and deliver a justification for toppling
Saddam Hussein by force.

Excerpts:

Office of Special Plans (OSP), was set up by the defence secretary, Donald
Rumsfeld and run by Doug Feith. Wolfowitz has a key role in coordinating.

The OSP was an open and largely unfiltered conduit to the White House not
only for the Iraqi opposition. It also forged close ties to a parallel, ad
hoc intelligence operation inside Ariel Sharon's office in Israel
specifically to bypass Mossad and provide the Bush administration with more
alarmist reports on Saddam's Iraq than Mossad was prepared to authorise.

"None of the Israelis who came were cleared into the Pentagon through normal
channels," said one source familiar with the visits. Instead, they were
waved in on Mr Feith's authority without having to fill in the usual forms.

The exchange of information continued a long-standing relationship Mr Feith
and other Washington neo-conservatives had with Israel's Likud party.

Posted by: standa at August 28, 2004 12:35 AM
=================================

Am I reading this right -- Franklin, a DIA analyst working under Feith in
the Pentagon, had to leak to a pro-Israel lobbying group in order to get
information to Elliot Abrams in the NSC?!?

No wonder my tax refund is taking forever to show up in the mail.

Posted by: Swopa at August 28, 2004 12:40 AM
==================================

"it's possible this is a politically-motivated sting designed to make
Feith's office look bad."

But why? That doesn't make any sense outside of Washington D.C.

So Bush is dumber than "the fucking stupidest guy on the face of the
earth."(Tommy Franks)?

Four more years? I don't get it.

Posted by: enozinho at August 28, 2004 12:42 AM
===================================

If the Pentagon "mole" has close ties to Wolfowitz and Fieth as reported in
the CBS story, and Franklin is that "mole," why does Franklin have to go to
AIPAC to get urgent information to higher levels of Government. Are
Wolfowitz and Feith cutoff from communication with the White House? Do they
not want to pass information on to the White House because they are running
a rogue operation that they don't want the White House to spoil with their
two cents? Was Franklin doing an end around through AIPAC because of
obstructions by Wolfie and Feith?

Comparing what Laura tells and what CBS reported, CBS got a hyped up version
of the events, or intentionally hyped it themselves. Franklin, as Laura
tells it, is the good guy trying to save lives by going outside the system
that wasn't working, and he was not a "mole" spying for Israel as CBS
reports.

What CBS is reporting could be a different case than what Laura ran across,
no?

Posted by: Carswell at August 28, 2004 12:43 AM
===================================

You say this happened in July, but other reports say the FBI investigation
into the Israeli investigation has been going on for a year.

I think somebody is being spun.

Posted by: Steve Sailer at August 28, 2004 01:04 AM
====================================

Laura,

Perhaps the FBI suspects Franklin leaked more than one document and the most
innocuous docuement (that is, the one that can be safely revealed in open
court) is this diplomatic paper.

Posted by: beowulf at August 28, 2004 01:09 AM
=====================================

The NYT reports tonight:

"Government officials suggested Friday that investigators were seeking the
cooperation of the Pentagon official being investigated."

Doesn't that seem to hint that they're using the media to put some heat on
the guy, and that they suspect the involvement of others? Why else would
they be seeking his cooperation?

Posted by: wagster at August 28, 2004 01:32 AM
=======================================

The wiretapping and surveillance of AIPAC might not have only picked up on
Franklin's communications but also other clandestine activities, thus
perhaps the CBS case is separate from Laura's "Franklin" lead.

As Steve says above the CBS case centers on an event that occurred last
year, 2003, when the "suspected spy, described as a trusted analyst at the

Pentagon, turned over a presidential directive on U.S. policy toward Iran
while it was, "in the draft phase when U.S. policy-makers were still
debating the policy."

So why does Franklin meet with Laura's source in July, 2004, to spill his
guts about passing info to AIPAC that was currently urgent to both the admin
and Israel, and the CBS story concern itself with alleged espionage at least
7 months old.

Was Franklin confiding to a friend in July a story that would make him look
good when published, knowing that the jig would soon be up? Pre-emptive
damage control trying to get out in front of the story?

The CBS story and Laura's seem to be about two different incidents, although
the bad actor may or may be Franklin both times.

Posted by: Carswell at August 28, 2004 01:36 AM

Dear Hanna:

You are being spun. The crime didn't happen in July, but last year,
according to CBSnews:

"CBS sources say that last year the suspected spy, described as a trusted
analyst at the Pentagon, turned over a presidential directive on U.S. policy
toward Iran while it was, "in the draft phase when U.S. policy-makers were
still debating the policy." "

Posted by: Steve Sailer at August 28, 2004 01:38 AM

Knight Ridder mentions Franklin in an implicating way without naming him....

http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/9518184.htm

The clock is ticking on this...

Posted by: fc at August 28, 2004 01:45 AM
=======================================

I can think of many reasons to leak this now, but none involve rolling the
investigation upward.

If you're going to squeeze a suspect you do it quietly.

Its timed too closely to the Convention, and I think they wanted it out now
rather than have it compete with the convention for the Country's attention.

Posted by: rr at August 28, 2004 01:57 AM
=======================================

But didn't the FBI stumble over the DIA > Feith > AIPAC as a consequence of
investigating the forged Niger uranium document that is said to have come
from Israel? As you recall, a key document (that was said to have supported
the phoney story about Iraq attempting to purchase yellowcake from Niger)
was a forgery that was traced to a known individual in Israel. The
surveillance net widened ... and only then did the FBI pick up the DIA >
Feith > AIPAC connection. Not true?

Posted by: PK at August 28, 2004 02:02 AM

WaPo named Franklin, too.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40004-2004Aug27.html

Pentagon sez it ain't no thang.

We shall see.

Posted by: praktike at August 28, 2004 02:02 AM
======================================

Americans generally, and American conservatives specifically, ought to flush
the AIPAC, Project for the New American Century (PNAC) crowd down the
proverbial toi-toi. Since Bush and Kerry are both in the back pocket of the
Israeli lobby, try Nader if you're a liberal, and Michael Peroutka of the
Constitution Party (www.Peroutka2004.com) if you're a conservative fed up
with these jerks.

Posted by: Mark Dankof at August 28, 2004 02:09 AM
=======================================

Newsday confirms our suspicions:

"But according to one senior government source, the investigation has been
ongoing for over a year and has also focused on other officials in Feith's
operation who may have passed other information on to Israel."

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-usfbi2808,0,3722002.story?coll=ny-nationalnews-headlines

They also do a little heavy breathing, giving us some "background" on
Feith's Israel ties. Geez, everyone has this. It wasn't a leak, it was a
shower.

Posted by: wagster at August 28, 2004 02:11 AM

I wonder how these "showers" work in practice.

Do they just pick a bunch of guys and tell them to call, like 10 reporters?

Or did everyone watch CBS and call their sources?

So strange.

Posted by: praktike at August 28, 2004 02:17 AM

By any chance, might this investigation be tied into the "Iran broke our
code" story, that was on-then-off the news radar a couple of months ago? As
I recall, it was said that only a handful of people in D.C. were privy to
that information, and I think Feith was one of them.

Posted by: J Burl at August 28, 2004 02:18 AM

Somebody might ask why Bruce J. Gebhardt punched out.

Posted by: SpringBored at August 28, 2004 02:23 AM

Folks looks like the trees dont let you see the forest. Who cares if this is
a show before GOP convention or before election. Spy or not the foreign
policy of this country in general and in regard to Middle East specifically
is highjacked by Israel. Do you care if Richard Perle is passing information
or Franklin? The reality is right there we invaded a country without any
clear benefit for us and only for a clear benefit for Israel. And we are
planning to invade other countries as Iran and Syria just for that purpose.

We should be extremely stupid ignoring this obvious as if someone is
screwing you and think about the size of his object or technicality of how
is it done?

Posted by: Harmon at August 28, 2004 02:26 AM
==================================

I don't think there is any reason to believe this story is some trick from
the White House. Bush tried to show he was being "Tough on Terror" with his
CIA director bull... And if you go through all the various blogs and comment
pages of the right-wingers, they all posted their Swift Boat stuff this
morning and left...

Where are the talking points? I think the White House got caught looking
toward Sunday and someone made them pay for it. At least, I hope that is the
case.

Posted by: enozinho at August 28, 2004 02:27 AM
==================================

odd ... cnn radio citing a "foreign gov't source."

Posted by: p at August 28, 2004 02:51 AM
I'm schocked. Deeply schocked!

My best guess as to what is really going on? (Because thus far NOTHING makes
an ounce of sense).

The Israelis hardly need some analyst level grunt to feed them when they own
the whole department...... do they?

More likely... Larry's been set up (for other reasons such as halitosis,
body odor etc.) to take the fall for something else that was shared/OKAYed?
with Sharon-Likud-(AIPAC) by Feith-Wolfie anyhow. - some really classified
inside track stuff that is going to make a stink that's a lot bigger than
this little fishie.

BUT - it is not something that will come out a) before the "election" or b)
at all, if Bush gets back in.... (in which case the "investigation" will die
a death and-or be limited to Luckless Larry/ "big misunderstanding" etc.

Implication. If the Jewish vote goes Kerry's way... they will end up covered
in the brown sticky stuff... and if it goes Bush's... they can continue
running US foreign policy.

That... seems to be the simplest explanation.

Posted by: Dr. Procter at August 28, 2004 02:53 AM
==================================

Does anyone know the status of the "Iranians discovered that we broke their
code story"? Again, reports had it that only a relative handful in D.C. knew
enough to divulge that information, even inadvertaintly. Without knowing a
darn thing about it, the fact that both Israel and Iran are mentioned in
terms of a leak leads me to suspect there is a connection somewhere.

Still, Ashcroft IS the FBI, and neither truth or honor abides in either. No
one should hold their breath about getting to the bottom of anything.

Posted by: J Burl at August 28, 2004 03:16 AM
================================

Spy or not the foreign policy of this country in general and in regard to
Middle East specifically is highjacked by Israel.

The buck stops in the Oval Office.

Paranoid Chimpy & Co. set up the OSP as a means to bypass traditional
intelligence ops which they felt were either untrustworthy(leaks), partisan,
or too pacifist. The OSP stovepipe they used to justify invading Iraq was
their baby. They did not inherit it. The created it.

Chimp & CO can't blame the formation of OSP on anybody but themselves. The
information flow between it and Israel appears to have been in both
directions. It is Bush's problem if he chose to believe the intelligence
rookies at OSP provided rather than that of CIA, DoD, NSC, foreign intel,
et. al..

But that is what you get when you put a simpleton into power who lacks any
substantive personal relationships within the government beyond those he met
through his dad. A fool whose worldview always boils down to us versus them.
In this case the 'them' was the career intelligence personnel who he refused
to trust.

Posted by: zgveritas at August 28, 2004 03:38 AM
=================================

Why did you post Franklin's "intelligence" about Iran (in 4th graf down
under FBI Investigation post) a few nights ago (without his name) and then
pull it a few hours later? Was he your source?

How do you know you're not being played in their game?

Whoever "they" are and whatever their game is.

Good luck, Laura.

This would all be such fun if it really wasn't.

Posted by: Tilli (Mojave Desert) at August 28, 2004 03:50 AM
======================================

Sorry, just re-read the posts -- it's so confusing! -- and Franklin wasn't
your source, but rather the supplier of information from your source. Or
something like that.

Posted by: Tilli (Mojave Desert) at August 28, 2004 03:55 AM
=======================================

What is your source's motive for talking to you?

Are they all rats?

Posted by: Tilli (Mojave Desert) at August 28, 2004 03:56 AM

Wasn't Perle's financial dealings with Ghorbanifar (came out in Sy Hersh
article) one of the reasons Perle had to resign from Defense Policy Board?

Posted by: Tilli (Mojave Desert) at August 28, 2004 03:59 AM
I'm an old man, so I'll cut to the chase: Could we please START the treason
trials soon?? So I can die happy??? "Oh Lord, now lettest thou thy servant
depart in peace.."

Posted by: David Waite at August 28, 2004 04:03 AM
===================================

Please excuse my ramblings here, Laura, but one thing I find most intriguing
about these kinds of stories is the interplay between unidentified sources,
what their motives are for leaking, how the stories are played out in the
media and subsequent government policy.

Could Franklin's info be true and this is a way to discredit him? To have
Franklin (or whoever is being investigated) become the story?

Or could his info be false and this is just a way to get the false story out
there?

Is it possible to ever really know?

All this talk of Iran lately is making me really nervous.

We can't forget how the media (Hello Judith Miller! Hello Kenneth Pollack!)
was played in the runup to invading Iraq.

God, next thing you know I'll become one of those kooks who thinks Mossad
was behind 9/11!

Posted by: Tilli (Mojave Desert) at August 28, 2004 04:49 AM

=======================================
* Laura Rozen is a journalist who covers national security and foreign
policy issues from Washington, D.C. Her work has appeared in the Nation, the
American Prospect, Wired, Salon, Slate, The Economist, the Washington
Monthly, TomPaine.com, the Boston Globe, the Christian Science Monitor, the
Forward, Congressional Quarterly, USA Today, and on public radio programs.
Previously, Rozen worked for four years as a journalist in the Balkans for
publications including the Boston Globe, the Christian Science Monitor,
Salon, the UK Independent, the Institute of War and Peace Reporting, CBS and
Monitor Radio. Rozen earned a masters degree in public administration from
the Harvard Kennedy School of Government, with a concentration in
international security studies. Born and raised in Kansas City, she has
lived in Moscow, Istanbul, Sarajevo, Belgrade, Kosovo, and Cambridge,
Massachusetts for much of the past decade.

She can be reached at: lauraatwarandpiece.com

http://www.warandpiece.com/blogdirs/001067.html

Arash

Aug 28, 2004, 6:12:04 AM8/28/04
New York Times
August 27, 2004

Pentagon Official Suspected of Giving U.S. Secrets to Israel

By James Risen

Washington - The F.B.I. is investigating a Pentagon official on suspicion of
passing secrets to Israel, government officials said Friday.

The espionage investigation has focused on an official who works in the
office of Douglas Feith, the under secretary of defense for policy,
officials who have been briefed about the investigation said. The F.B.I. has
gathered evidence that the official passed classified policy documents to
officials at the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC), a major
pro-Israeli lobbying group, which in turn provided the information to
Israeli intelligence, the officials said.

The bureau has evidence that the Pentagon official has given the Israelis a
sensitive report about American policy toward Iran, along with other
materials, the officials said.

Several government officials identified the official who was under
investigation, but he could not be immediately reached for comment about the
accusations.

Neither the official under suspicion nor anyone else associated with the
case has been arrested, the officials said. Government officials suggested

Friday that investigators were seeking the cooperation of the Pentagon
official being investigated.

Justice Department officials declined to comment on the matter.A spokesman
for the Israeli Embassy, David Siegel, denied the accusations of espionage.
"They are completely false and outrageous," he said.

"The United States is Israel's most cherished friend and ally," Mr. Siegel
said. "We have a strong ongoing relationship at all levels, and in no way
would Israel do anything to impair this relationship."

The American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) also denied any
wrongdoing. The organization said in a statement: "Any allegation of
criminal conduct by the organization or its employees is baseless and
false." The group added, "We are fully cooperating with the governmental
authorities and will continue to do so."

The F.B.I. inquiry has been under way for at least a year and has been one
of the bureau's most sensitive spy cases in years, officials said. One
official said that the suspected involvement of people working at a major
pro-Israeli lobbying organization led the Justice Department to move
cautiously.

The fact that the official under investigation works for Mr. Feith has also
made the case politically sensitive for the Bush administration.

Before the war in Iraq, Mr. Feith created a special intelligence unit that
sought to build a case for Iraq's ties to Al Qaeda, an effort that has since
been heavily criticized by American intelligence professionals as an effort
to justify the war.

Mr. Feith has also long been known as a major supporter of Israel, and while
he was out of government in 1996 signed a paper, titled "A Clean Break,"
issued by a Jerusalem-based policy group that called for the toppling of
Saddam Hussein in order to enhance Israeli security. Before he came to the
Pentagon, Mr. Feith was also a partner in a law firm with L. Marc Zell, a
lawyer with a firm now based in Israel.

In a statement released Friday night, the Pentagon said that the Department
of Defense "has been cooperating fully with the Department of Justice on
this matter for an extended period of time."

"The investigation involves a single individual at D.O.D. at the desk
officer level, who was not in a position to have significant influence over
U.S. policy," the statement continued. "Nor could a foreign power be in a
position to influence U.S. policy through this individual. To the best of
D.O.D.'s knowledge, the investigation does not target any other D.O.D.
individuals.''

One United States official said that he did not know why the desk officer
would have passed on the information and that he could not assess the
potential damage. "He had a certain expertise and had access to things, but
he wasn't a policymaker," the official said.

Some of the classified information that investigators suspect was passed to
Israel dealt with sensitive discussions about the United States' position
toward Iran, officials said.

As a result, the investigation is likely to give rise to questions about
whether Israel may have used the information to influence American policy in
the Middle East.

The Pentagon analyst who officials said was under suspicion was one of two
department officials who traveled to Paris for secret meetings with Iranian
dissidents, including Manucher Ghorbanifar, an arms dealer. Mr. Ghorbanifar
was a central figure in the Iran-contra affair in the 1980's, in which the
United States government secretly sold arms to Iran in exchange for the
release of American hostages in Lebanon and to finance the fighters, known
as contras, opposing the Sandinista government in Nicaragua.

The secret meetings were first held in Rome in December 2001, were approved
by senior Pentagon officials and were originally brokered by 'Michael
Ledeen', a conservative analyst at the Washington-based American Enterprise
Institute (AEI) who has a longstanding interest in Iranian affairs. It was
not clear whether the espionage investigation was directly related to the
meetings with Mr. Ghorbanifar. Nor was there immediate evidence of whether
money had changed hands in exchange for classified information.

American policy towards Iran is now of critical importance to Israel, which
is increasingly concerned by evidence that Tehran has accelerated its
program to develop a nuclear weapon. The Bush Administration has become
concerned that Israel might move militarily against Iran's nuclear complex.

American counterintelligence officials say that Israeli espionage cases are
difficult to investigate, because they involve an important ally that enjoys
broad political influence in Washington.

Several officials said that a number of espionage investigations involving
Israel had been dropped or suppressed in the past in the face of political
pressure.

The last major Israeli spy case to become public involved Jonathan Pollard,
a Naval intelligence analyst who was arrested in 1985 for passing large
volumes of classified material to his Israeli intelligence handlers. He was
sentenced to life in prison, and over the years, Israeli officials have
lobbied American presidents to try to win his release.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/28/politics/28spy.html?ex=1094661360&ei=1&en=0c0b68aef09d6b39

RBRK

Aug 28, 2004, 7:33:46 AM8/28/04
"Arash" <A7...@hotmail.com> wrote in

Eversince WWI that governments have been spying on each other for their
own national interests. woes on woes, friends on woes and yes, even
friends on friends.

It is up to the government to find the mole and prosecute him/her.
In this case, the mole in U.S. government (if any) must be found,
terminated or sent back to his/her beloved country.

XyZmass::.

Aug 28, 2004, 8:13:56 AM8/28/04
When a TREE is Diseased on TOP and DYING....then JUST ______CUT___
it's TRUNK!!!XIII

so look at just a "couple" of INFESTED _branches-__

AMPUTATE...is another Word that APPLIES here:

"Arash" <A7...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:QTYXc.2232$H23....@newscontent-01.sprint.ca...

> New York Times
> August 27, 2004
>

> Pentagon Official Suspected of Giving U.S. Secrets to Israel

:-)))

American SECULARITY's Impotence.....Using another DISEASED Branch to
Fix Another...ROFLMAO!:-||

RBRK

Aug 28, 2004, 8:34:12 AM8/28/04

woes = Foes

;-)

Tomcat

Aug 28, 2004, 8:39:22 AM8/28/04
Your head is deseased and I'm going to cut your legs

Reedam be ghabr baabaat

saeidb...@hotmail.com (XyZmass::.) wrote in

XyZmass::.

Aug 28, 2004, 8:43:44 AM8/28/04
"Tomcat" <f...@f14.com> wrote in message news:Xns9553581F8F...@216.77.188.18...

> Your head is deseased and I'm going to cut your legs

Find UR _BALLS_ first and then "threaten"...yellow bellied, coward and
Chicken Shit aL4 ISRAELI TWAT!

> Reedam be ghabr baabaat

My bAbA's Grave is in Jeurasaleeem and mekkA

go ahead ....do that!....u little infidle, maggot and pussy cat!

Tomcat

Aug 28, 2004, 8:58:13 AM8/28/04
You said:

"When a TREE is Diseased on TOP and DYING....then JUST ______CUT___
it's TRUNK!!!XIII"

Then I responded:

Your head is deseased and I'm going to cut your legs

So there you go Mr. idiot

Hezbollahieh pofuze: Dorough nagoo. baabaat tou mostarah ghom khabeedeh

RBRK ;-)

XyZmass::.

Aug 28, 2004, 9:09:53 AM8/28/04
"Tomcat" <f...@f16.com> wrote in message news:Xns95535B5192...@216.77.188.18...

asshole.....Did U not remember, that Now I call U an
ARSEHOLE.......self confessing, recorded, and seen by everyone

Insert Monty Python Sketch, Where the KNight's Head STILL BITES

> Your head is deseased and I'm going to cut your legs

If MINE deseased, then Let GOD decides....

It's YOUR CUT FEET, that are your problem...as for your "head"....We
Know, U call IT BUSH....pussy, cunt...is where is
YOUR...@WHITEHOUSE.Org

Call him, and suck....Lewinsky....a jewess....sucks dick

RBRK, The Israeli farsi Speaking TWAT, now SUCKs BUSH

If U were BUSH and President and IN PERSON...

Then STILL....Bring *IT* ON....come SUCK MY_DICK!!!XIII

filtered...again

XyZmass::.

Aug 28, 2004, 9:21:08 AM8/28/04
Apply this rule to currently downloaded messages

Where the From line contains 'RBRK' or 'asgharak...@yahoo.com' or
'De...@hotmail.com' or 'peac...@peace.com' or 'Taktaz' or 'tomcat'

Delete it

"XyZmass::." <saeidb...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:9bcc1990.04082...@posting.google.com...

> "Tomcat" <f...@f16.com> wrote in message news:Xns95535B5192...@216.77.188.18...
> > You said:
> >
> > "When a TREE is Diseased on TOP and DYING....then JUST ______CUT___
> > it's TRUNK!!!XIII"
> >
> > Then I responded:
> >
> > Your head is deseased and I'm going to cut your legs
> >

> > So there you go Mr. idiot
> >
> > Hezbollahieh pofuze: Dorough nagoo. baabaat tou mostarah ghom khabeedeh
> >
> > RBRK ;-)
>
> asshole.....Did U not remember, that Now I call U an
> ARSEHOLE.......self confessing, recorded, and seen by everyone
>
> Insert Monty Python Sketch, Where the KNight's Head STILL BITES
>

> filtered...again

assurancetourix

Aug 28, 2004, 9:28:22 AM8/28/04
I feel that some moron from the FBI decided to push his career in the
wrong way. He can't be sent in Siberia but lets hope for him he will
enjoy the climate of Alaska soon.

RBRK

Aug 28, 2004, 10:16:30 AM8/28/04
Why are you being so defensive & attacking FBI or its agents?

If there is a mole in U.S. government that works against the national
interests of U.S. and the safety of its citizens then he/she must be
found and punished severely. It does not matter if the mole works for a
friendly government or for the enemy of U.S.

So. Let's wait and see what the outcome of investigation will be.

assurance...@yahoo.ca (assurancetourix) wrote in

assurancetourix

Aug 28, 2004, 2:16:31 PM8/28/04
I'm not buying this story; Israel doesn't need to use the services of
a sub-assistant of a sub secretary of anything to spy on the US. If
they want to have confidential documents they have already enough top
rank politicians in their pocket to get whatever they wish openly.

RBRK

Aug 28, 2004, 2:24:26 PM8/28/04
You might be right. I just heard that this mole had contacts with an
Iranian Arms dealer. I assume the dealer is Ghorbanifar with ties to
some in Isreal and the terrorist Mullahs. Specially the Rafsanjani
mafia.