@@ Greatest danger to the region... @@

Arash

Aug 10, 2004, 4:10:53 AM8/10/04
(This letter was my response to an e-mail that highlighted the futility of
any attack on Iranian nuclear facilities to prevent Iran's potential
weapon's developmet prospects. Please refer to HURRAY FOR AMBIGUITY article
in the Archives section)

Intellectual Discourse
August 4, 2004

Dear............

The article you have forwarded to me is very well thought out and
technically accurate. In some of my previous articles I have also
highlighted the same points.

If the objective of a possible Israeli "preemptive" attack, or American, for
that matter, were to prevent the development of Iran's nuclear deterrence
capabilities, such strategy would certainly NOT be effective, as the article
clearly points out. Other commentaries in "Jane's" and by Gordon Prather,
and several other sources of expertise in nuclear weapons technology and
warfare, point to the same conclusion. Furthermore, this fact must also be
well known to the Iranian government and decision makers.

However, any so-called "preemptive" attack on Iran's nuclear facilities will
not be intended to paralyze Iran's nuclear capabilities or to even seriously
delay its progress toward weapons development. Such acts of "preemption" are
simply window-dressing for the general public's consumption to cover up the
real objectives.

The real objective would be to generate anger and, more importantly, general
disorder in Iran, with the expectations that the ensuing chaos would lead to
the destabilization of the political order within the Islamic Republic. In
addition, any reaction by Iran, which would obviously be demanded by the
Iranian public, would be interpreted as a sign of increasing tension in the
Middle East, which would further legitimize American and British military
presence in the area for a longer duration.

Although it would be literally impossible to see any short or long-term
benefits in all this for America or its Western allies, such a scenario is
exactly what the Israeli regime would bargain for. Israel continues to
pursue its own agendas with much greater impunity, as long as the United
States, for whatever reason or rationale, remains bogged down in the region.
As I see it, or at least as I hope, the current saber rattling by the United
States against Iran is to appease the Israelis and to keep the Likud
government at bay and to prevent this dangerous adventurism to be initiated
by Israel.

This, however, might be my own over-optimistic interpretation. The greatest
danger to the region might well prove to be the influence of the Israeli
lobby and its cronies in our government - the members of the Washington
think tank, The Project for the New American Century gang of American
Zionists, for example, whose insane agenda might overcome the voices of
reason within our administration, Republican or Democrat.

Sincerely,
Kam Zarrabi
kzar...@aol.com

http://www.intellectualdiscourse.com/page5.html