@@ Inalienable right without discrimination @@

Arash

Jun 6, 2005, 2:31:05 AM6/6/05
AntiWar
June 6, 2005

Bolton Already Has a Legacy

Dr. James Gordon Prather
Nuclear weapons physicist
Nuclear bomb tester at Lawrence Livermore
Technical director of nuclear bomb testings at Sandia
Chief scientist of the U.S. Army
U.S. Navy veteran

Even if Undersecretary of State John Bolton (http://www.stopbolton.org) isn't our next
ambassador to the United Nations, he already has a legacy. At the recently concluded
Review Conference for the Treaty on Nonproliferation of Nuclear Weapons
(http://www.un.org/events/npt2005/npttreaty.html), his underlings managed to seriously
undermine both the NPT and the Safeguards regime of the International Atomic Energy
Agency.

How?

By insisting that certain NPT signatories be denied – by force, if "necessary" – their
"INALIENABLE RIGHT" under the NPT to enjoy "WITHOUT DISCRIMINATION" ALL the peaceful
benefits of nuclear energy.

But the NPT now requires all non-nuke signatories to subject their "nuclear materials and
activities" to the IAEA regime, and assigns to it – not to the NPT signatories,
individually or collectively – the responsibility for verifying nuclear energy is not used
for a "military purpose".

Yes, the Bush-Boltonites argue, but the IAEA is, at least, incompetent. The
Bush-Boltonites just know that Iran has had a covert nuclear weapons program for 20 years,
and the IAEA – in spite of being able to GO ANYWGERE, INTERVIEW ANYONE, and SEE ANYTHING –
hasn't been able to find it.

What to do?

Sign up to the Bush-Bolton Proliferation Security Initiative!
(http://www.state.gov/t/np/rls/other/34726.htm) Then when Bush-Bolton suspect some country
like Iran has a nuke program the IAEA can't find, Bush-Bolton will just "take it out".

Yeah, like two years ago, when Bush-Bolton defied the UN Security Council, overrode the
IAEA, invaded Iraq, turned the country upside down, went everywhere, "interviewed"
everyone, and saw everything there was to see? It turned out the reason the IAEA hadn't
been able to find the Iraqi nuke program was that there wasn't one.

The Bush-Boltonites have been insisting the IAEA Safeguarded nuclear power plant the
Russians are completing at Bushehr should be destroyed "before it's too late".

Too late?

Nonsense.

Once the power plant goes "on-line" next year, the Iranians would have to operate it for a
year, withdraw from the NPT, kick out the IAEA inspectors, shut down the power plant,
remove the fuel from the reactor, and let it "cool off" in a "swimming pool" for a couple
of years.

Meanwhile, construct – and get on-line – a plant for recovering the plutonium contained in
that fuel once it cools off.

Also, establish a research and development program for producing a high-explosive
spherical-implosion system like that employed in "FAT MAN", the nuke we dropped on
Nagasaki (http://www.lanl.gov/history/atomicbomb/littleboyandfatman.shtml).

(Fat Man weighed about 5000 kilograms. If Iran wants to deliver nukes by ballistic missile
to Israel, Iran will have to get that weight down to about 500 kilograms. That took us 10
years).

Maybe so, the Bush-Boltonites argue, but Iran has also been constructing a secret
underground uranium-enrichment plant at Natanz.

As soon as they get it up and running, producing low-enriched uranium, allegedly for power
plant fuel, they will withdraw from the NPT, kick out the IAEA inspectors, further enrich
that low-enriched uranium to weapons-grade, and make gun-type nukes, like the "LITTLE BOY"
the U.S. dropped on Hiroshima (http://www.csi.ad.jp/ABOMB/data.html). "We" have to take it
out, before it's too late.

More nonsense!

It will take the Iranians five to six years to produce – subject to IAEA Safeguards – the
tens of thousands of gas centrifuges that now-empty, but IAEA-Safeguarded, underground
plant was meant to house. Then, spend at least several more years producing – under IAEA
Safeguards – tons of IAEA-Safeguarded low-enriched uranium.

Finally, Iran will have to withdraw from the NPT, kick out the IAEA inspectors, and
reconfigure the gas centrifuges in order to produce a thousand pounds or so of
weapons-grade highly enriched uranium.

In any case, "LITTLE BOY" also weighed about 5000 kilograms. Even the South African
gun-type nukes weighed more than 1000 kilograms, still too heavy to be delivered from Iran
to Israel by ballistic missile.

So what can NPT signatories do to protect those NPT signatories subject to the NPT-IAEA
Safeguards regime from the preemptive Bush-Bolton Proliferation Security Initiative?

Well, all Bush-Bolton doomsday scenarios involve the NPT signatory kicking out the IAEA
inspectors.

The original Iranian Safeguards Agreement had a clause that said the agreement would only
remain in force so long as Iran remained a signatory to the NPT. (The North Korean
agreement had a similar clause).

So all the Iranians have to do to provide additional assurances that they won't kick out
the IAEA – even if the Bush-Boltonites succeed in destroying the NPT – is to have that
clause removed.

The NPT doesn't require them, so all such clauses should be removed. Then NPT withdrawal
wouldn't affect the authority of the IAEA to verify compliance with Safeguards Agreements
and to report "noncompliance" to the UN Security Council for possible punitive action.

Dr. Prather's radio interviews
May 7, 2005
http://www.weekendinterviewshow.com/audio/prather4.mp3
April 9, 2005
http://www.weekendinterviewshow.com/audio/prather3.mp3
February 5, 2005
http://www.weekendinterviewshow.com/audio/prather2.mp3
December 4, 2004
http://www.weekendinterviewshow.com/audio/prather.mp3
February 16, 2005
Part 1
http://www.charlesgoyette.com/archive/media/2005-02-16-Charles-04.mp3
Part 2
http://www.charlesgoyette.com/archive/media/2005-02-16-Charles-05.mp3

* Physicist James Gordon Prather has served as a policy implementing official for national
security-related technical matters in the Federal Energy Agency, the Energy Research and
Development Administration, the Department of Energy, the Office of the Secretary of
Defense and the Department of the Army. Dr. Prather also served as legislative assistant
for national security affairs to U.S. Sen. Henry Bellmon, R-Okla. -- ranking member of the
Senate Budget Committee and member of the Senate Energy Committee and Appropriations
Committee. Dr. Prather had earlier worked as a nuclear weapons physicist at Lawrence
Livermore National Laboratory (http://www.llnl.gov) in California and Sandia National
Laboratory (http://www.sandia.gov) in New Mexico.

http://www.antiwar.com/prather

Kavik Kang

Jun 6, 2005, 6:21:39 PM6/6/05
"Arash" <A7...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> AntiWar
> June 6, 2005
>

> Bolton Already Has a Legacy
>

> Dr. James Gordon Prather
> Nuclear weapons physicist
> Nuclear bomb tester at Lawrence Livermore
> Technical director of nuclear bomb testings at Sandia
> Chief scientist of the U.S. Army
> U.S. Navy veteran
>

> Even if Undersecretary of State John Bolton (http://www.stopbolton.org)
isn't our next
> ambassador to the United Nations, he already has a legacy. At the recently
concluded
> Review Conference for the Treaty on Nonproliferation of Nuclear Weapons
> (http://www.un.org/events/npt2005/npttreaty.html), his underlings managed
to seriously
> undermine both the NPT and the Safeguards regime of the International
Atomic Energy
> Agency.

What is truly hillarious is that your "precious" NPT was concieved and
created by the US and Russia for their benefit. How you think it is
supposed to allow Iran to build nuclear weapons is just hillarious. Iran is
not allowed to have a nuclear weapon, not because of the NPT, but simply
because we say so. Iran is clearly attempting to build a nuclear weapon.
Iran will turn over all components only needed for nuclear weapons, and
allow continual and transparent monotoring of all facilities, or Iran will
cease to exist in it's present form. It really is simple to understand.

Iran is free to have nuclear power, on our terms. It isn't their decision
to make, it is our decision to make. It isn't up too them, they are not in
charge of nuclear weapons world-wide... we are. They are free to have
nuclear energy on our terms. They are not free to have a clandestine
nuclear program, we will monitor their nuclear program until the end of
time. They can do it our way, or they can be invaded and their government
replaced with people who will do it our way. This is not a discussion.