Regurgitated Saffron S**t, RSS: Sid Harth

cogitoergosum

Apr 18, 2010, 3:42:12 PM4/18/10
Regurgitated Saffron S**t, RSS: Sid Harth

PradipParekhSpeak:

'The Year of Christ in a Hindu India?'
Date sent: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 08:18:15 -0800
From: "Gadepalli, Prashant" <PGade...@strykerendo.com>
Subject: Extortion wedding

Dear Rediff,

I am glad you covered this menace. In a few months, I am to get
married in Bombay. We were advised by just about everyone to cancel
any celebrations that may be perceived as "grand". We have made
alternative arrangements because of this. I don't think anyone in
their right mind would, given the state of anarchy in Bombay, sit and
say: "Alright, I'll celebrate and let the police protect me!"

It is sickening to note that our democracy has deteriorated to a
goonda raj. While the police might give well-orchestrated public
statements, they have done precious little to either inspire
confidence in people or strike fear in the extortionists. Instead,
they have voluntarily/involuntarily done the opposite! I don't believe
it is the police itself that is lacking. It is the government that is
impotent enough to allow someone (or anyone with access to a phone) to
successfully run a parallel government. This is downright
disgraceful.

So, while I celebrate my wedding in some dump, I'll try to remind
myself that I am in fact in India and not in Afghanistan, though,
given the state of affairs, it'll take a vivid imagination to do that.
Thanks once again for covering what IS a very real problem facing us.

Prashant

Date sent: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 01:06:13 -0600
From: "Pradip Parekh" <a...@viptx.net>
Subject: GoI did not celebrate 2000 Vikram Samvat

The Year of Christ in a Hindu India? May I remind you that no such
celebration took place when we had 2000 Vikram Samvat? How would the
Indian pseudo-secularists, including the wicked press, have reacted if
such an honour were to be accorded to a Hindu event? It is time Hindus
are put first among equals, having long been denied their due.

Pradip Parekh

Date sent: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 21:57:24 EST
From: SRSa...@aol.com
Subject: South African Indian comes in quest of his roots

Excellent, heart warming, touching.

Rasik Sanghvi

Date sent: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 11:46:32 +0530
From: K K Venkatraman <k...@wipro.wipsys.soft.net>
Subject: Migrant ethos

A good article. Mr Naidoo's determination to explore his roots is
commendable. If a fourth-generation Indian (or South African?) can
feel the need to explore his roots, it only goes to show the strength
of the Indian culture and the bonding it provides. Though the earlier
migrations were partly forced by the British, today it is more by
choice -- for a better life.

If liberalisation does improve living standards even marginally, the
migrant Indians might prefer to stay home with their families. If only
the men running our country had woken up a few decades earlier...

Date sent: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 12:46:11 -0500
From: "Velpari" <vel...@ppg.com>
Subject: Southern sojourn

Wonderfully written. Keep it up.

Date sent: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 15::27 +0530
From: Dr A S Parasnis <phi...@pn2.vsnl.net.in>
Subject: Bithur

Besides pointing out three errors in your account of Brahmavart alias
Bithoor, may I offer further information not contained in your
article? Being a professor at IIT, Kanpur, I have lived for three
decades on the campus. That is only 13km from the Brahma ghat of
Bithoor. It was our place for picnics.

Error 1: Nanasaheb Peshwa was not a member of the royal family of
Maharashtra, but of the family of Peshawas, the prime ministers of the
Martha kingdom founded by Shivaji. The institution of Peshwa was found
by Shivaji's grandson in 1705, although Shivaji did have prime
ministers whom he called 'Pant Pradhan'.

Error 2: Bithoor was never part of the Maratha kingdom, Nanasaheb's or
anyone else's. It was only after the Maratha kingdom was annexed by
the British in 1848 that he was exiled there.

Error 3: The massacre of British women and children did, of course,
occur, but there is no evidence to link Nanasaheb Peshwa with it.
Further, the massacre has been blown out of proportion by British
historians and their Indian followers.

Comment: There is more to Bithoor than what your article says. The
ruins -- that is, a few bricks! -- of Nanasaheb's palace are a sight
of their own, with an old well still in existence. His new (circa
1965) memorial is a nice place with a dainty garden around it. On the
little Brahma temple there is a quaint board announcing "Centre of the
World"! The panda there exhorts you to do pujaand partake of the milky-
watery teertha.

Arawind S Parasnis

Earlier Mail

http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/jan/02mail.htm

'Saffron purists are pushing the limits of tolerance, the limits of
civility, successfully'

E-mail from readers the world over
Date sent: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 10:33:54 -0700
From: "Eashwer B. Iyer" <ei...@uswest.com>
Subject: Manjula Padmanabhan

I think Manjula Padmanabhan is a little confused. I feel that
referring to the Khajuraho carvings as triple-X rated art and saying
it is therefore justified to depict lesbianism on the big screen, is
specious reasoning. Khajuraho can be viewed either as an art form
(where no god's are blasphemised mind you) or purely educational ...
where one would have to go to Khajuraho to see this unique and
explicit nature of sex art from the Kamasutra.

If indeed Fire was educational and not attracting school kids and
underage college goers, it must be permitted to be shown. However, in
India, rules are not enforced at theatres. If on the other hand,
portraying lesbianism is known to negatively imbue young minds, the
movie should be banned altogether and we must concentrate on solving
other burning problems.

Eashwer

Date sent: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 17:10:37 +0400
From: <manojm...@hotmail.com>
Subject: FireManjula Padmanabhan

I am in complete agreement with most of the article but am surprised
that the Shiv Sainiks have taken umbrage at the depiction of
lesbianism, instead of raising objections at the religious sanction
sought to have been granted in the film by bringing about an analogy
with Sita's trial by fire in the Ramayana and Radha. Is it really fair
to do this? Would it not hurt religious sentiment and sensibilities?

Also, on freedom of expression and other such rights, while I hold no
brief for the Shiv Sainiks or the VHP's, where were Dilip Kumar and
other such worthies when Satanic Verses was banned?

Manoj Mohanka

Date sent: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 14:37:26 -0600
From: vu2ash <vu2...@altavista.net>

Your lack of knowledge takes the cake. Thackeray is actually spelled
as Thakre. The word comes from a tribe called Thakar. Please do some
research (or just ask around) before posting your worthless article.

The Shiv Sena chief spells his name as Bal Thackeray.

Date sent: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 19:06:09 +0530
From: Nexgen <k...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Phew! Manjula!!

Read your article with a bemused smile. It's all very correct that you
have highlighted. However, what are your views on the 'SECULAR'
Congress protesting (without much protest from all other lovers of art
and artists) the Godse play? You are a staunch supporter of democracy.
So do you think one can have democracy by halves? Should we ban the
Godse play and allow Fire to be screened?

Kindly do reply to this letter, lest it should raise doubts about your
secular and 'arty' credentials.

Vicky

Date sent: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 14:18:59 EST
From: <Sub...@aol.com>
Subject: Fire

Excellent article. As usual, Manjula has shown her power of logical
analysis. I agree with her 100 per cent.

S Subramanyan

Date sent: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 10:48:38 +0100
From: <rajiv...@avl.co.at>
Subject: Welcome back Manjula...

It's heartening to see a lot of quality scribes bursting out of the
wood work to express angst against the thoughtless, knee-jerk
behaviour of the saffron clan. Unfortunately, there is a precious
little of this debate reflected in the Marathi and Hindi press in
Bombay, where it could really make a difference. The effectiveness of
this medium has well proven itself in the past and could be used with
reasonable advantage.

Suppressing a good, well made movie takes them nowhere. Or does it? It
provides fodder to waning political aspirations, and the tabloids in
their ownership. Tabloids which have exhibited wanton disregard for
reason in the past. And tabloids which I believe are read purely
because there is very little otherwise to read...

Rajiv

Date sent: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 00:28:39 -0600
From: "Bharath Jayakeerthi" <bkee...@orbitworld.net>

You seem to be in great loss and grief because Shiv Sainiks vandalised
a movie theater screening Fire. Why do you want to bring up the
killings during Bombay riots in your article? Don't talk about Hindus
killing Muslims during the Bombay riots if you don't know the complete
facts. The riots started only after Muslims killed a bunch of Hindus
by a bomb. It is liberal minded Hindus like you who have been
encouraging them for centuries that has really destroyed our nation.

How much do you know about our freedom struggle? Why did the Sikhs,
Buddhists, Jains and others not ask for a separate land when
independence was imminent? Why did the Muslims alone demand their own
land and split our nation into three pieces? Who prevented them from
being Hindustanis? Why did the Muslims hate other Indian religions so
much and destroy our temples and places of worship? Do you know how
much Mahatma Gandhi tried to win their love and affection? Have you
ever been to the Golden Temple in Amritsar? Go to the museum inside
the temple complex and find out for yourself.

Do you think the Muslims in our country are any better now? They bring
their religion to work, they bring their religion to school, they
bring their religion to sports and they brought their religion in our
freedom struggle. How can they support the Pakistan team when we have
a cricket match against them in our own land? Have you seen this
happen in any other country?

Why was Vande Mataram which was our national song during freedom
struggle not accepted by the Muslims? Do you think they are going to
accept it now? For your information, the partition of Bengal by the
British Empire was prevented when Hindus and Muslims joined hands
together and sang Vande Mataram.

Look at Kashmir today. How many Muslims in India want to talk about
it? Over 35,000 Kashmiri Pandits have been driven out of their land.
Over a thousand of them butchered.

I can give you hundreds of examples of Muslim atrocities in our
nation. So, don't take one example of the Hindus getting an upper hand
and try to project Hindus as evil.

Bharat

Date sent: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 23:23:24 -0600
From: "Rajeev Singhal" <phdf...@business.utah.edu>
Subject: Saffron purists... by Manjula Padmanabhan

Does Ms Padmanabhan have the mandate to declare on behalf of all
Indian women that lesbianism is our culture! The argument most
mediocre writers like Ms Padmanabhan advance in favour of their theory
is that it (It=sex, lesbianism) has been depicted in Khajuraho and the
Kamasutra. By the same token we should be rooting for caste system
also.

I have no objections to anyone practicing homosexuality and lesbianism
-- it is a matter of personal choice. But please do not denigrate
Hinduism by telling the world that our culture is only about sex and
homosexuality.

I only wish 'elite writers' in India had brains to match their
proficiency over the English language. But god is known to be cruel to
everybody.

Date sent: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 18:45:35 -0500
From: "Pradeep" <jup...@iaol.com>

Absolutely rubbish. Jai Hind.

Date sent: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 15:36:55 -0800
From: ATUL DAMBALKAR <atul.da...@Eng.Sun.COM>
Subject: Comment on Saffron purists, shed your frustrations!

With all due respect, Manjula Padmanabhan, I think you represent a
class of people in India who consider themselves scholars but are in
fact pseudo-scholars and pseudo-moderns.

FYI, the paintings or the x-rated carvings outside our temples don't
represent that Indians are (or were) sexually extremely active people.
By saying that you are trying to denigrate Indian culture and the
great message those paintings or carvings try to convey. It doesn't
mean that Indians like to do all such things in bed. In fact, Indian
culture is to hate such things. Why ask somebody else, ask yourself
this question. I am sure, your answer will be "NO." Otherwise what is
the difference between an animal and a "normal" human being.

The x-rated carvings outside the temple in fact try to convey you a
great message. It suggests you to put away all such ugly (?) thoughts
outside the temple and then only come inside. That is why those
carvings are outside the temple and not inside. If you have not
quenched your sexual appetite, you don't deserve a right to enter a
holy place.

You are saying that "Elsewhere around the planet, India is known as
the home of triple-X-rated temple carvings" Are you out of your own
mind? Westerners try to find meaning, which suits them the most. Take
example of Rajneesh, why he was so popular? Indians did study sex,
Vastayan did write Kamasutra. After all sex is a natural thing.

And once again FYI, "Humans have no natural instinct of their sex,
like other animals." Hope you understand the meaning of that sentence.
So Kamasutra is needed. Sexual education is needed. Indians have
Kamasutra, doesn't mean that Indians act in X-rated movie. We have
those X-rated carvings on the temple, doesn't mean Indians do (or did)
all such things. It is not the necessary and sufficient condition.

Scenes in Fire merely try to narrow the huge gap between the great
Indian civilisation which has risen above animal-instinctive sex
desire and the western civilisation (in fact, it cannot be called as
civilisation), which is based only on the physical desires.

And the culture police are therefore needed.

Atul
Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Date sent: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 21:00:02 -0000 From: "Sunil M Kanekal"
<KAN...@prodigy.net>
Subject: Manjula Padmanabhan's article

Are you conversant with anything other than the movie Fire? Have you
any clue of Indian history? Very doubtful.

Sunil Kanekal

Date sent: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 12:09:59 -0800
From: Aravind Kalivaradhan <arav...@microsoft.com>
Subject: Saffron purists, shed your frustrations!

Extremely wellwritten article. She hit the nail on the head. The
saffronites are becoming increasingly fascist. They are pushing the
limits of tolerance, the limits of civility, successfully. If we don't
stop these thugs now, these goondas having smelt blood will go to any
extent. When you have a despot openly claiming that no power on earth
will stop him from stopping the Pakistan cricketers from playing in
India and all that the Centre can do is watch, you know that things
are already in a morass.

Aravind

Date sent: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 12:45:29 -0700
From: Rama Balaji <rba...@uswest.com>
Subject: Saffron purists...

I am writing this to those who want to protect out culture! I went to
a very famous book shop in the US to buy some history books which talk
about different cultures for my son. I found a book History of the
World or something. I went straight to a page which talks about Indian
culture and started reading aloud for my son. After a brief discussion
about the Hindukush valley and etc etc., it talks about Ramayana
Mahabharata etc etc. Then it says, 'FROM THIS WE UNDERSTAND THAT A
HINDU WOMEN COULD HAVE SEVERAL HUSBANDS.' My son looked at my face for
explanation!

What do you say? Which story are they talking about? They are talking
about PANJALI! She had 5 husbands, Pandavas. So the conclusion is
Hindu women could have more than one husband! Is it true? Is it our
culture? Are Hindu protectors going to change the whole story? Or ban
the book! If they are ready to ban it, I may have to go and get some
accurate information about the book! I am ready to do that!

I don't know!

Rama

Date sent: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 12:59:19 -0000
From: <Ruchira...@dresdnerkb.com>

This is the first of Ms Padmanabhan's articles that I have read on
Rediff and I am very pleased to note that there are people who are
standing up against this morality police. Sometime back, I had written
to Rediff saying exactly the same thing about the source of this
puritanical streak in India -- it is a Victorian curse which must be
fought. Look how the Brits turned out with this kind of Victorian
morality!

In any case, the right to free expression is a fundamental right, and
if it needs to be curbed at all, then it should be done in instances
where someone is inciting violence. But catch a politician doing that
-- wouldn't certain politicos behind bars?

Yes, people were offended when the controversy over Husain's Saraswati
erupted, but does that mean that the artist should be stopped by
violence, or indeed, stopped in any way? And people are offended by
the film for their own reasons (homophobia is obviously something that
our morality brigade has imported happily into Indian culture), but
that does not give them any right to indulge in goondaism. I would go
further and say that we should stop censoring art on pseudo-moral
grounds.

In any case, the rubbish that is churned out by the film industry is
far more culpable of spreading "wrong" values. After all, isn't it
common to see women being brutalised (in and out of the home), treated
as sex objects and/or bimbos and generally shown in a poor light in
our mainstream cinema. Is it all right with the thought police that
our Indian tradition of respect and honour to women is being so
crudely lampooned by our movies? Why don't these Mahila Aghadi workers
spend time educating and empowering women, so that they are not
brutalised by society?

I appreciate the idea that each one of us has to stand up against this
attack on our right to freedom of expression. However, it is difficult
to implement the idea the author has suggested, especially for those
living abroad. Why doesn't Rediff take a stand, and send copies of all
the mail it has received on this subject to the appropriate office (is
it the Censor Board?), and also to the minister (Navalkar, I think)
who incited this violence. These guys should realise that they have
been elected to govern, not to police our minds.

Ruchira Raghav

Date sent: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 13:55:02 -0500
From: Ashish Chandra <acha...@wnmail.wndev.att.com>
Subject: Saffron intolerance

Manjula Padmanabhan has written a classic article on how to attack
others without knowing them. It might be used as an example of how to
attack what we don't know simply by observing the actions of some and
then applying their ideas to the entire group, something, I believe,
the English language describes as prejudice.

What is saffron intolerance? Saffron is a colour of renunciation and
using catchy titles like this one may enhance the salability or the
noticeability of this article but it certainly doesn't enhance the
readers' understanding of what is factually true. I don't claim to
know it but I am capable of discerning that what you have written is
not the truth either.

Who are the saffron police at Jhandewalan in New Delhi? Do they have a
name? Who should I address the postcard to? Saffron police? What if
one of the Thullas catch hold of me and charge me with holding their
mail?

While the people who demonstrated in front of Dilip Kumar's house and
those that are calling for the banning of Fire are obviously oblivious
of Hindu thought and philosophy, Ms Padmanabhan has shown no contrary
abilities either. Just attacks on the "other side."

Ashish Chandra

Date sent: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 16:46:07 -0500
From: <Srini_Ka...@stateindustrial.com>

If the author feels it right to write whatever she thinks, for a
living or to influence people -- the same theory holds good for the
culture police she refers. The culture police have the right as a
political party or as an ideology to speak what they think is right.
Is there any thing new happening under the so called culture police
than what happened under the secular (divide and get votes, reserve
and get votes, curb the rights of majority to get minority votes)
governments? The basics of thinking what is good for a society is
always ignored and always motivated for writing negative opinions
against culture police. If culture police like to force their views on
people, Fire could have never been screened.

There is no point in bashing the culture police (as a political force)
for their opinion on lesbianism, rather discuss what is being
propagated in the name creative or art pictures. After living outside
for years, I wish the majority of citizens in India will have the same
rights as citizens in other countries. I was educated in a Christian
institution for 10 years where singing Christian songs and going to
church was mandatory. Is it secular for imposing religion on children?
Why don't secular authors come to our rescue in the past and present.

If some thing happens locally, why do you write that the majority
community targeted minorities. If the same minorities create problems,
why is it not reported as a minority attack on the majority. Do we
have different rights for different groups in a secular democracy? I
wish all citizens of India have equal rights and opportunities,
regardless of their political or religious views and not penalised for
being a majority.

These are my personal views and are not to offend anyone but to
question the author about her views.

http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/dec/31mail.htm

'BJP is a shallow communally motivated and hypocritical bunch of power
lovers'

E-mail from readers the world over
Date sent: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 00:30:43 EST
From: <Obj...@aol.com>
Subject: Government may declare 1999 as the Year of Christ

It is a good decision. Christ, who is one of the Hindu Gods, was
victimised by selfish missionaries. Christ has nothing to do with
these missionaries, which were started by people like St John, St
Paul, St Thomas, etc, who had clear selfish interests, and wiped out
the culture of many countries.

I think we should expose the activities of all these missionaries in
the Third World countries, and give a clear message that Christ and
missionaries are not the same. Hope the government will make some
effort in bringing this message by 2000. We should expose the
activities of these missionaries in Mizoram, Nagaland, etc.

Nagaraj

Date sent: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 14:57:58 -0500 (EST)
From: Abhijit Mitra <mi...@eden.rutgers.edu>
Subject: Year Of Christ

I think it's a great idea. But it'll all be for nothing if the
government doesn't back this token gesture with some real enforcement
of civil liberties of all Indians, Christians included. Tokenism is
just such a Congressi thing, I hope the BJP realises this. Also, what
exactly is the deal with discussing this with the RSS? Since when do
legitimate governments discuss combatting bigotry with organisations
that promote it? Like everything else Indian, I'm afraid this makes
absolutely no sense. Mera Bharat Mahaan. *smirk*

Abhijit

Date sent: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 12:53:34 -0500
From: venkat Mylavarupu <bkw...@is002570.bellatlantic.COM>
Subject: Attacks on Christians

Unless conversions are banned in India, the attacks on Christians
should not end and will not. But the attacks should be in the Gandhian
way and not violent. The Christian groups with support from Western
countries seem to be having an evil agenda of conversions. Although
educated and pragmatic about most issues, I feel strongly about this.

Venkat
Washington, DC

Date sent: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 22:36:42 +0500
From: Maliha Raza <fem...@del3.vsnl.net.in>
Subject: Year of Christ indeed

Well it's amazing to read that the BJP plans to make 1999 the year of
Christ. This political gimmickry merely exposes the BJP for what it is
-- a shallow communally motivated and hypocritical bunch of power
lovers. What happened to all their love of minorities when the Muslims
were being persecuted for aeons by the VHP, Bajrang Dal and Shiv Sena?
And even now not to speak of the lowest classes of Hindus. Why don't
they instead devote themselves to doing some real community upliftment
work instead of fooling around like this?

Date sent: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 14:00:59 -0500
From: Father Benjamin <fb...@hsh.org>
Subject: Your coverage

Your presentation of the news is very impartial. It covers most of the
news very fairly. I am happy that your edition of news is doing a
great job to people overseas. Greetings of the season.

Benjamin
USA

Date sent: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 22:35:51 EST
From: <Tonyd...@aol.com>
Subject: Advani... by Iype

Good report, good analysis. Timely. Good observation. Hope Advani's
change is for the better and real!

Date sent: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 12:01:03 +0000
From: Nitin Kulkarni <nkul...@gssec.bt.co.uk>
Subject: A Fatwa against the Idea of India

The views expressed in this article as perfectly valid. I am saying
this not because I am an Hindu but an Indian. What's wrong in singing
this song? After all it just pays tribute to India, our motherland.
Those who feel their religious sentiments are more important than the
nation, should be asked to leave the country. Our mother has so many
able sons that it needs none of these nonsense people.

The Congress has over the years under the name of secularism tried to
keep its vote bank intact. I am sure Sonia Gandhi in no sense has any
respect for this nation. She is just interested in keeping the Gandhi
family in power.

First of all the Constitution should be changed just like the US,
stating that only those who have Indian citizenship by birth should be
allowed to hold the highest post in India. I am not saying that
whatever the BJP or its allies are doing is justifiable but when it
comes to the nation -- the nation should always be given first
priority. Look at the developed nations, look how the people of these
nations behave. They too have problems but they solve it logically and
radically.

For how long are we going to waste our resources in fighting amongst
ourselves over trivial issues? How long are we going to allow the
majority of India dance to the tunes of these useless politicians?
These politicians have no backbone, and they are more interested in
their personal gains rather than the prosperity of the nation. I am
sure other than these so-called Muslim LEADERS, no Indian Muslim will
have any problem in singing a song paying tribute to his/her
motherland.

Nitin

Date sent: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 07:22:59 -0800 (PST)
From: Prakash Purushotham <pp...@yahoo.com>
Subject: VHP and Sangh Parivar

Congratulations to VHP, the Sangh Parivar and such outfits for
reviving communal tensions between Hindus and Muslims, creating
communal tensions between Hindus and Christians.

What is left now is creating tensions between Hindus and Jains, Hindus
and Buddhists, between Shaivite Hindus and Vaishnavite Hindus. Why
should we leave the Jews alone?

Congratulations to the BJP for watching the damage being done and
doing nothing about it. Congratulations to the Congress and other
political parties for trying to get political mileage out of this
fracas.

After all we are the largest de-mock-race-y.

Why can't the VHP and Sangh Parivar be banned and all their top
leaders be put behind bars for eternity? "From that hell of
communalism my Lord, lead my country away."

A Shaivite Hindu

Date sent: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 15:15:08 +0530
From: Rupa Sud <rs...@atlgr.com>
Subject: When the going gets tough

... The tough get going, is that what you have really proved! Cheers
for a job well done.

'Vajpayee should declare an Emergency'

How Readers reacted to Pritish Nandy's recent columns
Date sent: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:42:24 -0500
From: "Banerjee, Saurabh" <Banerjee...@aramark.com>
Subject: Let's scorn hypocrisy

Congratulations on posting this excellent article. Somehow I have a
feeling that the older our politicians get the more corrupt they
become. I feel we should have young people in our Parliament. Youth
are more idealistic and upright. Old people are notorious and
worthless. They cannot look after themselves, so how will they look
after the nation? How does India tolerate those morons?

Saurabh Banerjee
Philadelphia, USA

Date sent: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 09:59:45 -0800
From: Abhay Patil <ab...@healtheon.com>
Subject: Where are you going with this, Pritish?

Pritish,

We don't need a journalist or an MP to tell this. We know. What we
need to know is what are *you* doing about it? As an MP of the ruling
coalition what's your plan? Can you ask these questions point blank to
your colleagues and leaders (instead of us)? How do they respond? Stop
ranting. Do *something* and tell us about it.

Date sent: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:20:18 -0800 (PST)
From: "Srivatsa S." <s_sri...@rocketmail.com>
Subject: Pritish Nandy topic

As usual very very good and very practical. But I have one question:
till a few months ago, he was just a journalist. But now he is an MP.
So has he implemented what he is writing? Does he walk the walk and
talk the talk... or does he just write? Given a chance, I can also
write columns and columns on what needs to be done. But I don't do it
since I can't implement it as of now. But currently Nandy is in a
position whereby he can do something. If being in that position does
not account for anything let him resign and just write.

I would very much appreciate if you can ask Pritish to write an
article on what he has done till now as an MP & also what anyone in
Parliament has done as MP/MLA. Cheers and please respond.

S Srivatsa

Date sent: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 13:31:56 -0500 (EST)
From: Paramtap Desai <pde...@cise.ufl.edu>
Subject: Let's scorn, Pritish, let's really scorn hypocrisy

What is the relevance of this article? I am sure UNDFW has such data
on sex selling for other countries in Europe and North America too.
And as far as "Okay, forget the crime. Look at the freedom of
expression. The right to be heard "goes, where was Pritish when there
was such a cry about Mani Ratnam's Bombay ? What was his position on
that issue?

The whole Fire issue boils down to hypocrisy of media-men like
Pritish. I really feel like scorning it -- why did Dilip Kumar (I
still wonder why he doesn't use the name Yusuf Khan) or Shabana not
comment when Salman Rushdie had his book banned in India? Why? Wasn't
it a matter of "freedom of expression"? As for freedom of expression
goes, I want to produce a film that shows incest in a Muslim family --
let's see what Pritish has to say about my freedom of expression.

Pritish do not understand the very subtle line between freedom and
misuse. And I wonder what makes him not understand this at such a
point in his career! Let's rename the names in Fire to Zahiraa and
Zarina, re-screen it and find out what Yusuf and Shabana have to say.
Let's please!

Date sent: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 11:23:13 -0800 (PST)
From: Anant Singh <an...@maxwell.ee.washington.edu>
Subject: The Fire Within

Mr Nandy really lost it when he joined the decrepit band of thugs
called Shiv Sena. Here he comes up with yet another specious argument
-- the freedom of expression cannot be selective or partial! Now, is
that true Mr Nandy? Didn't the free-est country on earth, the US
dither with the release of the film Lolita since it showed an older
man falling in love with a child? Our people are mature enough to
decide on personal issues like sexuality. However our politicians are
immature, and it was for them that a play on Nathuram Godse was
banned. For politicians like you Mr Nandy.

Anant P Singh
University of Washington, Seattle

Date sent: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 15:24:01 -0800
From: Sandip Roy-Chowdhury <san...@rsa.com>
Subject: Column on Fire

I can accept Pritish Nandy's statement about the hypocrisy of wanting
to ban the play about Godse, but not the hue and cry about the Shiv
Sena wanting to ban Fire. But is that really what the hue and cry is
about, Mr Nandy?

I am not upset because the Shiv Sena wants to ban the movie. That is
their right to want it banned if it upsets them. What I am upset about
is that because the Indian Censor Board (not the most liberal of
bodies) did NOT ban it, the Shiv Sena chose to use force to shut it
down anyway and prevent people from seeing it. This was not a
clandestine group of people watching a bootleg copy of a banned film.
Those people had a right to see that film but the Shiv Sena decided it
knew better what was good for them.

Mr Nandy asks at the end of the column: " So why be afraid of free
choice? Why wear shackles when you can run free?" Why indeed, Mr
Nandy? Why is the Shiv Sena so afraid of free choice that it needs to
prevent everyone from seeing Fire?

After re-reading your eloquent column I still didn't find the answer
and I did not find anything in there that condemned the actions of
those who stampeded the theatres and forced the shows to be
cancelled.

Mr Nandy, if your editor allowed one of your columns to be printed,
but a political party took exception to it and forced every news-stand
selling the magazine to burn all issues because they didn't like what
you wrote, would you be so complacent?

Sandip Roy
San Francisco

Date sent: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 18:05:55 -0500
From: Narendra Kishore <nkis...@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Lessons for a loser

Excellent.

Narendra
Toronto, Canada

Date sent: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 19:53:13 -0500
From: Satyapaul Rana <spr...@sprint.ca>
Subject: Lessons for losers

You said it straight and rightly so. I have been totally disappointed
with the BJP's timid performance. The idiots were busy saving their
saffron head-dresses, but they lost their heads. They proved to be
more a rat than a cat. They never went for a kill, but searched for a
carcass. This is not the way to build and lead a nation. The jackals
in Parliament are out for a kill as they have tasted blood of a
wounded BJP on the streets of Delhi, Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh.
Even if they govern India for the next 30 days or 30 months, the BJP
and its allies should govern it with a vision, determination,
dedication and boldness.

Otherwise, the BJP at least will be consigned to the dustbin of
history and rightly so, together with the Congress. The BJP leadership
should know that if any harm comes to the integrity, security and
economy of the country they would be held accountable together with
the Congress, the Communists and those silly Yadavas.

Satyapaul

Date sent: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 08:00:47 GMT
From: v...@acet.com (vk)

Mr Vajpayee can and should ameliorate all his political problems by
immediately announcing an Emergency. It will have the added advantage
that the whole Congress party, led by none other than Mani Shankar
Aiyar, will rally behind the BJP for the constitutional propriety of
its governance. And our government and country will flourish again,
just like in the good old days of Congress rule.

Date sent: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 14:28:27 -0600
From: "Pradip Parekh" <a...@viptx.net>
Subject: If Pritish is right

Pritish Nandy's commentary on the BJP is the most damning one I have
ever heard. I have been a strong BJP supporter, because of its
policies, and star leaders like Vajpayee, Advani, Murli Manohar Joshi,
Jaswant Singh, Sushma Swaraj, Brajesh Misra etc, which sort of
conveyed to me that the middle-rung leaders may also be of great
character and ability. But it seems that the middle-rung quality
leaders just aren't there to put their shoulder to the cart.

Even the RSS is not happy with the BJP. It is a mystery why the BJP,
with its solid ideology and reputation for integrity, is not able to
make room for the best talents in the country for various ministries.
The first one to go should be Mr Yashwant Sinha. He should be replaced
by a top-notch economist with an international reputation. It must be
recalled that the former PM, Mr P V Narsimha Rao, had recruited
Manmohan Singh as the finance minister from obscurity. I think the
present sorry state of affairs makes the best case for a Presidential
system in India so that the elected president can appoint his own
team.

Pradip Parekh

Date sent: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 10:31:26 -0800
From: RS Nair <r.s....@bigfoot.ebu.ericsson.se>

I am a regular reader of Rediff and I like Pritish Nandy. First of
all, I think that this government is one of the best India has ever
seen. I think the reasons for failure are:

1. Fights between local leaders.

2. People had a lot of expectations about the BJP sarkar. They were
disappointed. It is as if I am very much frustrated with the current
system (Congress) and I just hope out of frustration that the BJP will
do magic. But the voters should understand that no party can do magic
because nobody can change the system overnight. It will be a slow
process because our democratic machinery is very slow and the
government has a thin majority.

But people don't vote after exercising their brain. They vote on
feelings and the image of the party. Here, I agree with Pritish that
the BJP should bring in new brains for image management. I think that
the BJP should eliminate all fighting leaders and bring new leaders.
This defeat is a small punishment given to the BJP for improvement. It
has nothing to do with the Congress because that party cannot be
changed by voting for or against it.

Date sent: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 13:16:19 -0500
From: Sarat Nagabhirava <snag...@dcn.att.com>

Well said!

Sarat

Date sent: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 14:21:41 +0000
From: Prabhat Vaish <pra...@earthlink.net>
Subject: Pritish's column

This is one of those rare occasions when I end up agreeing with
Pritish. He has very elegantly analysed the BJP's problems. All I can
add is that the RSS has grown too big and too fast. The top leadership
there is simply brilliant, selfless and visionary. The problem lies
with the middle-rung, which has grown too soon and too fast. These
people joined the RSS in the last 8 to 10 years, and has not struggled
at all. They want to use the RSS or its related organisations to gain
political space by proxy. Formally there may not be a link between the
two, but they do share a symbiotic relationship. This change in the
profile of an RSS activist (now more in the line of the Yuvak Congress
of yesteryears) has had a negative effect on the image of the BJP. It
certainly looks more like the Congress.

Prabhat

http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/dec/30nandy1.htm

'Rarely do we see a leader speak with the analytical mind of
Govindacharya'
Date sent: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 19:24:39 -0600
From: "Pradip Parekh" <a...@viptx.net>
Subject: Govindacharya

Rarely do we see a political leader speak with such an analytical mind
as K N Govindacharya does. A K Diwanji's interview clearly shows that
the BJP has a strategy to match their ideology and responsibility for
the administrative task ahead.

I wish the BJP every success in the polls, and hope that the Congress
is shattered.

Pradip Parekh

Date sent: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 16:45:15 -0500
From: Mukund M Kute <mk...@ford.com>
Subject: Amberish K Diwanji on Shekhawat & Rajasthan

Thanks for praising the development work done by the BJP under the
leadership of Bhairon Singh Shekhawat.

However, no matter how honest you are and how much development you do
for the people, what counts at election time is the capability to rake
up flimsy issues like price rise.

With a few English journalists and a few rumour-mongers you can topple
even a good government. I guess, we have no right to complain if the
BJP takes wrong lessons out of these facts and indulges in corruption
while managing the media, throwing a few crumbs at them.

Now I know why the Congress and Communists worked overtime in the past
50 years to keep most of our countrymen illiterate.

Mukund Kute

Date sent: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 14:46:08 EST
From: Vk1...@aol.com
Subject: Muslims in India

As long as Muslim see themselves as Muslim and not as Indians, as long
as they talk of Muslim interests and not Indian interests, as long as
invaders of India are more important to Muslims of India than the
Indian defenders, as long what the Koran says is more important than
the national ethos, there is no sense in Muslims calling themselves
Indian.

If the Muslims thought they were Indians first and Muslims second, all
the talk of Muslim interests would not have arisen. There would have
been only Indian interests.

Another partition of India in the next ten or even fewer years cannot
be ruled out. It may sound absurd now but even in May 1947 if someone
talked of Partition, he was laughed away.

Many may laugh at it today. If only the Hindus have the intelligence
to read it... Had they ever had this intelligence, they would not have
been slaves for thousands of years to begin with. Only time can tell
if I am right.

Satya Vachnam

Date sent: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 19:58:00 -0600
From: "palanikumar.t" <palani...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Vande Mataram

It is with a heavy heart I'm writing this reply. I'm not a pro-BJP
Hindu fanatic or anti-Islam. But I can't understand how Vande Mataram
affects Islam. It's a song about Bharat Mata, the mother of all
Indians, irrespective of religion. It's not glorifying any Hindu god.

In that case, the Jana Gana Mana is also anti-Islam.

This shows the maturity and the level of understanding of the leaders
who unnecessarily cause communal tension for petty political gains.

Palani Kumar

Date sent: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 15:22:40 -0500
From: "Vivek Anantharman" <vana...@gateway.net>
Subject: David Frawley's article

This article is the need of the hour. It needs more exposure to make
Indians proud of their heritage.

Vivek

Date sent: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 08:52:24 -0600
From: "JONITTA" <jon...@concentric.net>
Subject: Christians in India

As an Indian Christian, I know very well that, with the BJP government
at the Centre, there is no safety for Christians in India.

Also last week, RSS members allegedly attacked nuns in north Kerala.
In Bombay too, some students studying to become Catholic priests were
allegedly attacked by members of the RSS/BJP. So Indian Christians are
now threatened by the same people who are supposed to protect all
citizens, irrespective of their faith.

Date sent: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 19:59:32 +0530
From: Akshay <pte...@is2.dal.ca>
Subject: Christians ill treated in India?

So now the American media is publishing reports about Christians being
ill-treated in India.

This just shows you what kind of hypocrites these people are. Blindly
appeasing Pakistan and ignoring the fact that Christians are killed in
Pakistan almost every year in the thousands, they attack India, not
realising that in India Christians are happier and freer than anywhere
in South Asia and the Middle East.

It's just a game of cat and mouse and India happens to be the mouse at
the moment in every situation.

But times will change and once a good and strong leadership is
established, the ball will be in our court.

Date sent: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 13:32:50 +0530
From: Murali Siripurapu <mura...@its.soft.net>
Subject: The childish behaviour of Ali Mian, chairman of the AIMPL
Board

I don't agree with Ali Mian when he objects to Vande Mataram in
schools. If they feel that reciting Vande Mataram in schools (or for
the motherland) contradicts Islamic principles, then they should at
once pack their bags and go where only Islam is accepted.

What is wrong in praying for the motherland? And if India is not their
motherland, then they should go to their motherland.

I'm sure that Muslims in other nations might be making fun of this
person and the sad thing is that these people don't realise that.
That's very unfortunate for India.

Muralisk

Date sent: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 11:26:37 EST
From: SBhu...@aol.com

It is ridiculous that these individuals think that respecting and
worshipping their country is wrong. It is true that there is only one
god.

But it is difficult to understand why somebody does not want to
respect and worship his or her country. Carting around some weird
ideas in the name of religion is unacceptable.

Sharad Bhuskute

Date sent: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 07:06:07 -0800
From: "Srinivas Murthy" <smur...@sprynet.com>
Subject: Muslims, UP government on the path of confrontation

Well, if the Muslims feel so offended, let them withdraw their
children from public schools, as they have threatened. The loss is
theirs. Let their children go to their maddarsasand get what they
want.

Srinivas Murthy

Date sent: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 19:39:53 +0530
From: "S.Anandakrishnan" <ankr...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Poor Fatima Bi

Fatima Bi,

Take care.

Date sent: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 10:55:30 -0500
From: "Navin Khadiya" <kha...@ness.rutgers.edu>
Subject: Fatima Bi

The story brings tears to my eyes. Finally, Fatima Bi is showing us
the way, while we continue with mere wordplay.

Navin Khadiya

Earlier Mail

http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/nov/24mail.htm

Now the dacoits rule
Date sent: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 17:52:48 EST
From: Mes...@aol.com
Subject: The die is caste

Those of us who can recall Raj Kapoor's Jis Desh Main Ganga Behti Hai
will remember a scene during which one of the dacoits states: "The
Kshatriyas ruled, the Brahmins ruled, the Moghuls ruled, the British
ruled, and when will we, the dacoits, rule?"

Need I say further? There are so many of them that Prem Panicker can
write another essay on them.

Ramesh

Date sent: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 09:06:42 -0800
From: Sanjay...@BayNetworks.COM (Sanjay Parekh)
Subject: 'Pokhran ke liye Vajpayee ko vote do!'

Do you have Uma Bharati's email? Even though I respect her, I have
something to say to her regarding her interview.

Sanjay

Date sent: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 15:40:30 GMT
From: "ashwin vaidya" <ash...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Bangaldeshis & BJP

You guys manage a wonderful web site, but, of late, I'm getting sick
and tired of this negative campaign against BJP governments by all and
sundry through your columns.

Everyone agrees that law and order situation is/was bad. Everyone
knows that the police force has meagre resources to tackle the
increasing criminalisation of society, and everyone knows that the
elections put additional strain on the system.

So when the home ministry diverts its resources to immediate issues --
mind you, they have not gone back on their stance that Bangladeshi
illegal immigrants must be deported -- why is Chaterjee writing all
this?

I think the media's attitude towards the BJP is, "Damned if they do,
damned if they don't".

It's not only Chatterjee, but the whole team which writes for Rediff
-- George Iype, Dilip D'Souza, Darryl D'Monte, Amberish Diwanji...

I am sick and tired of these people.

Ashwin Vaidya

Date sent: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 08:16:24 -0600
From: Murthy <sanctio...@hotmail.com>
Subject: 'Shekhawat has ruined my life'

What a title! Looking at it, I assumed it to have been penned by
either George Iype or Syed Firdaus Ashraf. And voila, it was.

Just around any election, Rediff seems to develop a soft corner for
the Congress. Am I wrong?

Syed, don't you know that a state governor is in charge of
universities in India and he is, in fact, the chancellor?

Srinivas Murthy

At Rediff, we owe allegiance to no political party, only to the truth.
Supporters of the BJP and the Congress may find the truth unpalatable
at times. That we cannot help. We would be failing in our
responsibility to our readers if we did not do our job honestly,
without bias, without fear or favour. Rediff readers can be assured of
that -- Editor.

Date sent: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 12:37:13 -0800
From: Gaurang Desai <g...@corp.cirrus.com>
Subject: Interview with Narendra Modi

I'm surprised to see that the interviewers had the gall to edit out
the name of a Congress politician involved in the Jhabua rape case.

I find two things wrong with this:

First, the editing of answers. This is not editing of expletives,
which could be understood. This was in response to the interviewer's
direct question.

Second, favouring politicians (read Congress) in their report because,
by not publishing the name, the interviewer is only giving shelter to
a Congress politician.

Gaurang R Desai

Narendra Modi's allegation was unproven, libellous, hence, I -- not
the interviewers -- edited out the name of the constituency and the
politician in the interview: Editor

Date sent: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 15:28:02 -0500
From: "Bhagwat, Amol" <amol_b...@mcgraw-hill.com>
Subject: More articles on Chhattisgarh

I am a regular to your site www.rediff.com. I was reading your article
on elections '98 on Chhattisgarh. It was a nice article and I would
like to see more articles from that part, if you could.

Though I am in the USA, getting news from home is great. You guys are
doing a great job. Keep it up.

Amol

We have assigned a correspondent, Chindu Sreedharan, to cover the
election in Chhattisgarh. Our Bhopal Bureau wiill also be filing
despatches on the region.

Date sent: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 15:27:14 -0800
From: "Srikanth Holikatti" <sholi...@nce.reno.nv.us>
Subject: Our political circus

Dear Ganesh,

You are the best. At last, we have somebody who is speaking for the
unfortunate, miserable masses of India, rather than being the
mouthpiece of the left, right, centrist or secular "forces".

All these lobbies don't give two hoots for the common people. This
seems to be the karma of our great land from Vedic days.

Srikanth

Date sent: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 10:13:59 -0500
From: Ravindra Aneja <ravi...@ikos.com>
Subject: The Pakistan cricket team in India

Is the BJP government full of nuts?

How can we allow Pakistan cricket team in India if every child in
India knows that Pakistan is fighting a proxy war against us?

Cricket is not more important than lives of thousands of my Indian
brothers and sisters who have their lives at stake every day.

Bal Thackeray may be called a Hindi fundamentalist, but on this issue
he is 100 per cent right. At least, he is not a hypocrite like the BJP
leaders.

The BJP is proving to be like any other party hungry for power by
compromising on national issues.

Date sent: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 09:26:44 -0500
From: "Krishniyer Anand" <kris...@engr.sc.edu>
Subject: Advani's comment that sports should not be linked with
politics

What about religion, Mr Advani?

Date sent: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 18:21:28 -0600
From: "Fahd.Iqbal-1" <jun...@ou.edu>
Subject: Why not play?

Politics and social norms are what Shiv Sena leader Bal Thackeray
specialises in. Well, the Pakistan team will be there, beginning
January 1999, whether he likes it or not. Bal Thackeray should stop
mingling politics with sports.

It has been some time since the two teams confronted each other in a
Test match. So, Mr Thackeray, all that I have to say to you is to take
up a sweeter approach.

Fahd Iqbal

Date sent: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 15:41:29 -0500
From: "Beera, Samuel S" <Samuel...@CUUSA.com>
Subject: Thackeray's threat to Pakistan's cricket team

As per Thackeray's logic, India should not be having any interaction
with Pakistan.

Is it not better for him to stick to state politics instead of
dabbling in issues that paint our nation silly?

S Beera

Date sent: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 19:48:49 PST
From: "Dravid Roy" <dra...@hotmail.com>
Subject: PM to discuss Kashmir with Pakistan

The nth PM of India will discuss Kashmir with Pakistan for the nth
time and, again, the talks will fail. Didn't they learn anything from
their past experiences?

Let's be more aggressive. We don't want the Pakistani cricket team in
India. Bomb their militant sites in Kashmir. It's time we get rid of
the junk rather sit with them at our table.

Why are we giving them so much importance?

Date sent: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 12:00:20 -0800
From: aa...@concentric.net
Subject: Throw that stupid Karunanidhi out

I don't understand why the people of TN just take everything quietly.
It's high time somebody came up with an alternative to Jayalalitha and
Karunanidhi.

Anand Bernard

Date sent: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 08:17:25 -0800
From: Muthu Arumugham <mu...@ez-data.com>
Subject: DMK bid to safeguard its image as defender of Tamil

This is really absurd -- teaching math in the Tamil medium till the
eighth standard. This will set the clock back by at least 20 years, if
not more.

One can understand the need for the children in Tamil Nadu to learn
Tamil. But teaching maths and social studies in Tamil is overkill.
With the two-language formula, opportunities outside Tamil Nadu are
dwindling for a person with a high school diploma.

Will the government of Tamil Nadu guarantee jobs or at least provide
decent unemployment benefits to those people who can't get employment
due to this "brilliant" educational policy?

With the problems we have in hand, we shouldn't encourage such an
impractical policy. This is nothing but fanaticism.

Wake up, Tamil Nadu, and look around the other states. While the CM of
Andhra Pradesh made his state second only to Maharashtra in terms of
both new foreign investments and a friendly business climate, where
are your priorities, Tamil Nadu?

Mr Karunanidhi, stop bickering on trivial matters and start acting
like a statesman, at least now in your fourth term. Fifty years from
now, how do you want your regime to be remembered -- as that of
someone who made an impact on everyone's life in Tamil Nadu or as yet
another chief minister who indulged in gimmicks to survive his term?

Something for you to think about.

Date sent: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 22:09:35 EST
From: OL...@aol.com
Subject: TN makes Tamil compulsory

This is in response to your piece about Tamil Nadu making Tamil
compulsory. Let me tell you (Karunanidhi) this: No Tamilian was
begging anyone to join with India. We all fought together and stayed
together.

I too agree that TN politicians are trying to get political mileage
out of it, but your statement is simply not correct.

What if somebody says, "If the Muslims wants to stay in India, why
can't they sing the Saraswati Vandana?"

Also, with most of the rest of India showing interest in imposing
Hindi more, the Tamilians are drifting away from the concept of a
united India.

Let us hope that we don't reach that stage. I am deeply hurt by your
statement.

SPOC

Date sent: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 19:26:36 PST
From: "Ekalavya Krishna" <ekal...@hotmail.com>
Subject: TN Tamilisation drive

It is the fourth estate that has given the halo of statemanship to
Karunanidhi, who was brought up on a diet of so-called Dravidianism,
the scholarly death knell to which was rung by David Frawley.

Dravidianism started in the days of the Justice Party and was aided
indirectly by Kamaraj. Karunanidhi could never accept the strict rules
of societal behaviour.

We have all suffered the effects of this party's two-language policy
over the years. I still find it difficult to learn Hindi despite
having lived for many years outside Tamil Nadu. Just when we thought
the government has stopped its campaign against Hindi, this party
wreaks havoc on the people of this state.

We have already seen how wishy-washy this government was in dealing
with the Sarika Shah's eve-teasing case. One DMK mayor proposed a
death sentence for the accused.

It would be a crime to let this party have its way even after its
resounding defeat in the elections to continue with its anti-Hindu
sentiments. I therefore propose that all Hindus should rise in protest
and jointly address the Constitutional Bench of the Supreme Court of
India to throw the party out of power.

Krishnan

Earlier Mail

http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/nov/23mail.htm

E-mail from readers the world over
Date sent: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 14:07:46 -0600
From: Closepet Ramesh <ll...@truman.edu>
Subject: Frawley on Aryan Invasion Theory

It is indeed gratifying to see David Frawley's article on Rediff. It
is high time that mainstream newspapers/magazines/journals started
paying attention to what the likes of Frawley have to say about India
and its history.

For too long, and paying too heavy a price, we have listened to and
read the kind of "politically correct" but factually incorrect history
peddled by the Left/secular/anti-Hindu historians that have ruled the
roast in India, and who have been abetted by a cabal of "scholars"
disdainful of the work by people like Frawley and others of his
persuasion.

Closepet N Ramesh, Ph D

Date sent: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 18:05:20 PST
From: "Patriotic Indian" <true_in...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Sharat Pradhan on UP's curricular changes

Where do you get such wood borers like Pradhan? Please let us know
from which "colony" (school) of journalism these people graduate from?
Let us destroy the "mother" borer so such journalists are never again
nurtured here. We have had enough of Rams, Mehtas, Mani Shankars,
Saisureshs. What we need is more of Varshas and Shenoys who are not
ashamed of the past as these junkies on their brainwashed trips to
China.

Let me reiterate, we must Indianise (Hinduise, if you prefer it)
education. David Frawley's piece on the Aryan invasion is proof enough
why we should support vigorous Indianisation, why this country should
be rid of Macaulay/Marxist education and true education on Indian
history be taught.

1. We never ever said the earth was flat like in the West, the 'Son'
of God could have at least told them it was a folly, Nor did the 'Son'
say the earth went round the Sun. Why? To us it was always Bhu-Gola
(Gola meaning marble shaped) and the Universe Brahm"anda" (anda -- egg
shaped).

2. We knew the precision of the equinoxes /declension of the earth's
axis from time immemorial. Our astrology is proof enough, the West
calculated the declension only this century.

3. It is only a question of time that Truth will come tumbling out,
when the "Dead Sea Scrolls" is published in spite of the active
suppression by the Church for over 90 years. When mass desertions take
place from the flock after the true "Revelations" these plans will
come out. We don't need to wait till then. We should start the ball
rolling now.

4. Everyone agrees that Vedic mathematics is the best way to teach
Maths and that Sanskrit is the best suited language for computers,
definitely not Latin or Arabic.

5. World history should be rewritten afresh by Indians (Leftists and
Marxists are really Chinese with Indian skins -- fifth columnists in
their language).

We should Indianise education and those who don't want it can go to
London or Beijing. We should be compulsorily made to study Sanskrit
and as the Parmacharya wisely said even by saying Sanskrit is a dead
language itself admits the fact that it is the Soul of all Languages,
because when someone dies s/he leaves the body (which rots) while the
soul is imperishable.

Murli Manohar Joshiji/ Kalyanji we are with you. Please use the same
tactics and strategy of the Church and their reps, their hand-in-glove
partners Leftists, Marxists (Basu joining with Sonia is proof enough)
and sycophant Congressmen after crumbs.

Krishnan

Date sent: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 16:45:15 +0800
From: "Mohan" <sn...@brunet.bn>
Subject: Tamil till 8th std

I don't understand why politicians don't learn from other's mistakes.
It is perfectly fine for Tamil to be compulsory as a language. But to
make it a medium of instruction for maths and arts (does it mean
history?) is suicidal.

A decade or two ago, Malaysia made Malay the medium of instruction for
maths/science etc and a whole generation of Malaysians were poor in
English and could not communicate properly with their counterparts in
other countries. Now, they talk about "English should also be given
adequate importance". Should we repeat history?

Mohan

Date sent: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 11:54:35 -0000
From: Gautham Akkinepalli <Gautham.A...@bmw.co.uk>
Subject: Deer dinner in AP

This is such a ridiculous, foolish thing that has happened in AP. It a
horrifying example for gluttony. It is avarice taken to a peak. It is
really disgusting. How can a responsible person like him indulge in a
feast over the meat of endangered animals is so appalling? It's a
totally shameless act. What is pathetic is, on one hand our
politicians and celebrities devour the carcasses of endangered animals
and on the other hand, we go begging for charity from Western
countries for the protection of the very animals they feast upon.

It's sick.

Gautam

Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 09:24:48 +0530
From: "Mohan N." <unim...@bgl.vsnl.net.in>
Subject: Car manufacturers make money

A good article which enlightens every Indian buyer, who until now and
still is taken for a ride, and is taken for granted. I appreciate if
articles like this is published in the media so that it creates a
larger awareness, to help Indians get their value for money.

Hats off to your column and the reporter. Keep publishing such
stories.

Mohan N

Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 14:48:25 -0400
From: Mukund Kute <mk...@ford.com>
Subject: Touch of an Oxygen to dying leftists

It is good that an Indian won the Nobel Prize. However, I agree with
Professor Bhagwati that it is for Dr Sen's academics and not
necessarily for anything to do with the correctness of his work.

The Indian government will do better if they learn from the mistakes
of the past 50 years and give more open air to the Indian economy.
Garland Sen, but don't take his views as "Internationally Recognised
and Proven."

Academics who have been ganging up in universities worldwide create a
big hoopla when a member of their cult gets sacked. At the same time
we see more beating of drums when members get some Prize like this. We
are watching from a distance this game with the view of what India
really gained by his work.

I will praise those who helped India become self sufficient in food
production, nuclear defence and those who are keeping Indian values
intact despite the Leftist attack in the last 50 or 60 years.

Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 13:34:19 -0400
From: Nagaraj Naik <nn...@cbsignal.cb.lucent.com>
Subject: Number crunching makes little sense!

Mahesh,

Whereas you have taken pains to do all this playing around with
numbers, the article itself makes little sense to me.

Let me give you an example. Consider a person working in a city like
Bangalore, in some government office like P&T. His/her daily routine
will be to get up early in the morning, do all daily clean-ups, make
kids ready for school, prepare breakfast, some cases lunch, then get
ready, catch a city bus, reach the office depending on the
availability of buses and its timings. By the time you reach office
you are almost exhausted.

Then think about the working atmosphere we have. All those old
offices...old furniture...unpainted walls... Think who is responsible
for what... Think how the offices function..

We simply don't have the atmosphere to work. Even if you are very keen
to work you will hardly be able to.

Though you are really correct in pointing out that we hardly work, the
real stress should have been given to make the environment more
conducive to work. That way, I guess, you would have addressed the
real problems.

No hard feelings please.

Nagaraj

Date: Saturday, November 07, 1998 3:18 AM
From: Shiva Jonnalagadda <sh...@rose.hp.com>
Subject: Match reports

Prem,

Thanks for bringing all those wonderful reports on the cricket
matches, particularly the ones in which India plays. I think they have
good style, insightful detail and narrative, but sometimes not too
accurate on past statistics and events.

Anyway, the reason for this mail is that, recently the reports have
changed to a more broader type of reporting, with a note saying that
the commentary for the innings is available alongside. However, it is
not possible to read the commentary for 100 overs to figure out key
details on dismissals and score etc. No one has that kind of time (at
least not most).

That is where your reports were wonderful, covering the crucial
happenings in the match with good detail. Somewhat above and beyond
the regular dry newspaper reports. And, I for one, sorely miss them. I
am sure there are others who feel likewise.

Hopefully, you will consider this request.

Shiva

Date: Thursday, November 12, 1998 2:57 AM
From: Ashish Pant <pa...@ing-americas.com>
Subject: What about Nikhil Chopra?

Hey now Prem.

I am a big fan of your incisive match reports.

But on this occasion I think you have NOT given credit to Nikhil
Chopra on his performance.

His bowling figures of 10 - X - 24 - 0 barely get a mention and his
score, which happens to be the second highest score -- 39 -- coming at
a time when the Indian batting had completely collapsed is at least
worth mentioning. His runout was not exactly his fault either. Either
way a good useful cameo at a time of need. Shows he is a bowler who
can score some runs at crunch time.

Ashish

Date: Wednesday, November 18, 1998 3:03 AM
From: subbu venkatraman <subbu.ve...@Alza.com>
Subject: Simply Azhar!

Harsha's tribute to Azharuddin is good prose, but surely far too
flattering. It misses some obvious shortcomings of the man. Azhar is
likeable, stoic and committed to his craft, but to argue that he is
not in the "autumn" of his years is simply not correct. And to
overlook his flaws in captaincy is not doing Indian cricket nor
Azharuddin any service. It would have been far better to have examined
the man and his achievements more critically.

For instance, highlight his relative lack of success abroad,
particularly against good quality seam/pace bowling; his nonchalant,
laissez-faire attitude to captaincy which does not involve taking an
Agarkar or other bowler aside to give him a few pointers and words of
encouragement during a game; his total lack of exertion of any sort of
authority or direction to his players, and his inability to forge
cohesion of the kind Cronje has done for South Africa.

When things are not quite going the way he thinks they should, Azhar
simply stands back, resigned...witness Tendulkar's involvement during
the later stages of the West Indian innings at Dhaka.

Yes, nice guy, good player in the subcontinent, but perhaps a follower
force-fitted into a leader's role, maybe because he is such a nice
malleable guy...Oh for a captain that has Gavaskar's will to win,
Tendulkar's cricketing acumen and Srikkanth's team-molding abilities!

Subbu Venkatraman

Date: Wednesday, November 18, 1998 12:48 AM
From: <jayant....@amd.com>
Subject: Subject: Harbhajan Singh

Prem,

I really liked your column on Harbhajan Singh. Please send your column
to Lele. I think Lele should be sacked.

In any case he should not put undue pressure on Harbhajan by publicly
telling him that he is under observation.

Is there anybody whom Lele reports to?? What is that person doing??
What does Lele thinks of himself??

How can Wadekar and others (For whom I have great respect) stand the
sight of Lele?

Is there anybody in BCCI who can control a free running, uncontrolled
person? I also want to know Lele's credentials as far as his knowledge
of cricket goes.

Jayant

Date sent: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 17:36:38 PST
From: "harsha mankad" <har...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Like father...

It was not 13 years ago that Gundamma Katha was made, but 35 yeras
ago.

It was not a casting coup, because both Rama Rao and Nageshwara Rao
were just actors and not stars. They did a lot of movies, together,
before and after that.

Get your facts right buddy !

Date sent: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 23:33:36 -0500
From: "V. Chowdary Jampala" <cjam...@mail.dayton.net>

Many errors of facts in this column.

NTR and ANR appeared in Gundamma Katha in 1963; not 13 years ago.
Thirteen years ago, NTR was already the CM of AP. Besides, Gundamma
Katha was neither the first film or the last film in which they acted
together. They have several hits together; including the much
celebrated Maaya Bazaar, Tenali Ramakrishna, and Srikrishnarjuna
Yuddham.

Roja's Tamil production is not her first home production. She already
produced two bombs in Telugu.

V Chowdary Jampala

Date sent: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 14:11:45 +0800
From: naman <na...@hboasia.com.sg>
Subject: Of love and duty

Tell your writer to review and not give away the story next time, if
there is a next time.

Earlier Mail

http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/nov/21mail.htm

'If TN wants to belong to India, why don't they make Hindi
compulsorily as the medium of instruction as the rest of the nation?'

E-mail from readers the world over
Date sent: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 08:19:53 -0800 (PST)
From: Ravi Narayan <vsr...@yahoo.com>

This is a step backwards. This is like going back 200 years. This will
make Tamil Nadu more isolated. Why should not they enforce Hindi as
the medium of instruction? If TN wants to belong to India, why don't
they make Hindi compulsorily as the medium of instruction as the rest
of the nation?

I strongly think this is just a ploy by Tamil Nadu politicians to
exploit the parochial feelings of Tamils.

Ravi Narayanan

Date sent: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 18:51:33 +0530
From: "Ranjit.V, Srivatsaa" <usha...@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in>
Subject: CMS "Opinion" Poll

Why do you have publish such "Opinion" polls? Many times the coloured
opinion of the sponsor comes through, and not the actual will of the
people. We saw how a leading editor's bias was reflected in his TN
"opinion" poll.

Not content with publishing a false poll, he was seen hobnobbing with
DMK chieftains immediately after the results were out to ensure that
the BJP did not get DMK support. It is a general feeling such
"opinion" polls are done with a post-election scenario in mind, maybe
for future lucrative contracts.

Ranjit

Date sent: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 19:53:05 PST
From: "Patriotic Indian" <true_in...@hotmail.com>
Subject: David Frawley on the Aryan Invasion

Why is it you have removed all traces of this wonderful piece? Is it
because it is inimical to your sponsors or was it pressure from the
Marxists groups to start a strike at your work place? I am eager to
read the comments from the proselytisers to this piece. Have you
decided you will not publish any write-up that is critical of that
Italian? Why do none of the pro-Hindu articles not appear in your
columns now? Pressure from the Church?

Krishnan

Date sent: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 11:18:31 -0500
From: <venkat...@funb.com>
Subject: Non-Hindu students flay Indianisation of education

This is a very disturbing situation that has cropped up in an already
vitiated atmosphere in our country. The fact that these kind of
sentiments have started creeping into the minds of innocents is
catastrophic. It is sad to say the least.

What the hell is wrong with our politicians? As if damage that was
done 50 years ago by way of dividing the country in the name of
religion -- resulting in 50 years of unabated carnage and genocide --
is not enough they are out on a vengeance to initiate hate and
discrimination at the fetal stage.

Are there any lack of issues and problems in this country that you
have to rake up such insignificant things? People don't have the means
to procure basic necessities to keep them alive, let alone think of
the Vedas and Koran and the Bible. Attitude Will Take You Altitudes.

I am a product of a Catholic school, morning Christian prayers, going
to the school church once a week and moral science did not make me a
Christian. I am still very much a Hindu. I never for once, felt, that
Christianity was being forced down my throat. What is all this hue and
cry about "not a Hindu, will not learn the Vedas" ? Go ahead and give
it a try, gaining any kind of knowledge has not hurt anyone to the
best of my knowledge.

To all the students: Please, for ALMIGHTY's sake, don't let these
things take control of your life, ignore the unscrupulous rascals up
there governing the country and live life to the fullest and take care
of each other.

Venkat Gopalakrishnan

Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 19:04:51 +0530
From: RAM PODDAR <pod...@giasbm01.vsnl.net.in>
Subject: Shanbhag on US-64

I am Ram Poddar, an MBA from IIM-A (76). Please don't allow Mr
Shanbhag to act as a spokesman for UTI through your Homepage. He
should concentrate on writing repetitive articles on PPF.

UTI had no business to block Rs 800 crores in Reliance for five years.
They are getting a yield of 1% on this investment and they have to
fork out 15% per year on this. Any justification by Mr Shanbhag?

R Poddar

Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 13:09:14 -0500
From: "Muralidhar Prabhakaran" <msmhtc01...@eds.com>
Subject: Car manufacturers In India

The article "Why Car makers zoom in..." is extremely good and
informative.

I always used to wonder why these auto giants are taking a keen
interest in the Indian market and this article has served as an
eyeopener and answer to my question.

It is deplorable that these "auto giants" think cheap and
underestimate Indians.

My opinion is that the Indian customer should become more quality
conscious and reject low quality stuff.

Murali

Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 10:50:09 -0500
From: Narayan V Dravid <Narayan....@lerc.nasa.gov>
Subject: Power deal with Pakistan

This is a great idea. However, the technical aspects should not be
forgotten over the political euphoria. This is not like importing
sugar from Pakistan. When the two grids are interconnected, each is
subject to whatever happens on the other side, every instant of time.
We don't want to precipitate blackouts due to misoperation because if
that happens we will set back progress by decades.

Date sent: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 13:41:34 +0530
From: "ammumma" <amm...@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in>
Subject: Marriage

It would have been great if a wedding photo had been included.

Date sent: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 07:28:32 GMT
From: ?.36...@compuserve.com (Mo)>
Subject: Pardesi Babu

Thank you for a very comprehensive review of Pardesi Babu including
all details of the movie -- it saves one having to go and see it ..

Date sent: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 18:22:16 PST
From: "Dravid Roy" <dra...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Shah Rukh Khan

Wah wah, what an interview, Shah Rukh sure knows how to do some
serious bak bak (not buck buck). But overall a good interview

dravid

Date: Wednesday, November 18, 1998 2:01 AM
From: <an...@skynet2.att.com>
Subject: That Lele Again

Is there any way we can get rid of this Lele dude? The fellow really
needs a check-up from the neck up. I suggest Mr Dungarpur send him on
BCCI expense for a check-up.

He should be grilled so badly by the attending press people the next
time he makes such stupid statements that he will never make such a
statement in his life again. I think all the press people should gang
up on him.

Bye for now. I am sure Lele will give me another chance to blast him.

Anish

Date: Tuesday, November 17, 1998 10:13 PM
From: Saravanan Chandrasekhar <sar...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Lele

I read the article titled 'Sidhu, Harbhajan back in India squad.' I
think Lele should be sacked from his position for making such remarks
against Bajju.

Date: Tuesday, November 17, 1998 8:41 PM
From: Ashok H. Mittal <ami...@thebeast.com>
Subject: Bhajju and ICC

I guess there is no point comparing the BCCI and BCCSL. But if anybody
is listening -- look at the contrast:

After getting a clean chit, the Indian Board (read: Lele) makes a
comment that Bhajju is not absolved.

After an off the cuff remark by an Australian umpire about
Muralitharan all over again, the Lankan Board writes a letter to ICC
asking it to punish the umpire in question for violating the code of
conduct.

How ironic?

I wish the young offie good luck and hope he rises above all this and
gives a brilliant performance for his sake and the country's sake,
forget the Board!

Ashok Mittal

http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/dec/30mail.htm

http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/nov/20mail.htm

Pritish Nandy

Pritish Nandy -- Padma Shri-winning poet, designer, painter and
photographer -- changed the face of Indian journalism, setting new
standards of excellence at the sadly deceased The Illustrated Weekly
of India. After editing The Observer of Business and Politics and The
Sunday Observer, he turned his attention to television where his
candid interviews angered the P V Narasimha Rao government which
banned him briefly from Doordarshan. His Pritish Nandy Communications
now produces several television programmes for the national television
network. He is currently a member of the Rajya Sabha as a Shiv Sena
representative.

In Search Of Mogambo http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/aug/03nandy.htm
Former UTI chairman Subramanyam may have made some wrong choices.
Every fund manager does. But, by targeting him, we are allowing those
who are actually guilty to escape.

Phew, what a movie! http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/jun/21nandy.htm
'Congratulations, Aamir Khan. Move over, James Cameron. Asutosh
Gowariker has arrived.'

Trial by the media http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/jun/13nandy.htm
'Everyone manipulates the media to serve their own interests or hurt
their rivals. In the process, justice is compromised, fair play is
lost, truth is injured.'

Subverting the truth http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/jun/07nandy.htm
'The absoluteness of truth has vanished in the melee of gossip and
rumours. If the media does not wake up to this, it will have only
itself to blame.'

Defending Salman Khan http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/may/31nandy.htm
'I find the media's obsessive hostility towards Salman sick, perverse,
grossly unfair. After all, he is just another person like you and I.'

F is a dirty word http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/may/23nandy.htm
'No one wants to admit to it. No one is ready to acknowledge that it
actually exists. Famine is possibly the dirtiest word in the political
lexicon of modern India.'

The heart has its reasons http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/may/17nandy.htm
'For years, I have believed that the Indian people want a clean
government. I was wrong. Entirely wrong. Or so the results of the
state elections have proved.'

Frankly, clueless http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/may/09nandy.htm
'Katherine Frank's biography of Indira Gandhi stinks. Even the worst
political leader does not deserve a biography like this.'

Behram Contractor RIP http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/may/02nandy.htm
'It bugs me to see this huge spectacle we are making over Behram. It
is totally contrary to what he would have wanted. For Behram hated
hypocrisy.'

The invisible men http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/apr/27nandy.htm
'We have lost the ability to make out the difference between someone
accused of a crime and someone adjudged guilty by the courts. No, this
is not the psyche of a moral nation. It is the psyche of a frustrated,
blood thirsty people.'

A time to heal http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/apr/21nandy.htm
'We cannot allow every scam to run away with India's future. Instead,
we must find out what exactly went wrong and try to set it right.
Otherwise, we may as well give up all pretence of parliamentary
democracy and ask the CBI to run India.'

Where are the bears? http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/apr/12nandy.htm
'You can blame Parekh. But you cannot allow the bears, who engineered
the whole crash, go scot free.'

In Pursuit of Lakshmi http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/apr/04nandy.htm
'We do not realise that more money does not necessarily mean a better
life. The happiness index has nothing to do with GDP growth or the
rise in Sensex. It has more to do with self realisation and preserving
the traditions and values we have grown up with.'

The great media comeback http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/mar/31nandy.htm
'The Tehelka story will certainly succeed in cleansing the system to
an extent. And that is what we all want. We want the thieves and
carpetbaggers out. Not the government.'

Lessons from Tehelka http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/mar/29nandy.htm
'Those whom we admire as the rich and the famous, are mostly the scum
of the earth. Crooks, criminals, carpetbaggers who survive only
because we do not swat them hard enough.'

The Unseen Majority http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/mar/14nandy.htm
'It is time to focus on what India wants, what India needs. It is
important for those in power to hear the voice of the silent majority.
To frame Budgets that speak for them as much as they may speak for
those among us who are privileged to be heard by those in high
office.'

MI3, The New Scourge http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/mar/08nandy.htm
'Militant Islam is actually a dangerous and scary political force that
is using Islam as a convenient ploy to spread its tentacles of fear
worldwide.'

A distressing sale http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/mar/01nandy.htm
'Whichever way you look at it, BALCO is a dud deal. The price is
wrong. The methodology is opaque and unconvincing. The choice of
buyer, unfortunate. Someone somewhere has made a terrible mistake and
it needs to be quickly corrected. Otherwise, we have a serious problem
of credibility out here.'

Why the tamasha? http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/feb/22nandy.htm
'Those who are in desperate need can do with your money, your old
clothes, used utensils, other household stuff. But they can easily do
without all your singing and dancing, your silly birthday bashes, your
cocktail parties, your art auctions, the tearful dialogues in your
movies, the silly poems you are dying to read out.'

The Hindujas Again! http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/feb/14nandy.htm
"There are many political interests who will benefit from the
hammering of the Hindujas. In the UK, they have already very
successfully put Tony Blair on the mat. In India, they are using this
as an excuse to corner the prime minister.'

Why is being a good Hindu politically incorrect in secular India?
http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/feb/08nandy.htm
'A good Hindu is no less than a good Christian or a good Muslim and it
is time we acknowledged this fact. In this acknowledgement lies our
future. As Hindus, as Indians. As a nation on the move.'

The Ugly H Word http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/feb/01nandy.htm
'When Vajpayee speaks of Hindutva or the Ram temple, why should we
brand him as a fundamentalist? Bush does not become a fundamentalist
when he refers to Christianity or the Bible.'

The dumbing down of life http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/jan/24nandy.htm
'Entertainment is shifting us away from our cultural priorities,
transforming our lives in many ways. I do not know if this is good for
India or bad. What I do know is that it gives hype, hysteria and
horseshit a thumbs up.'

Reality bytes http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/jan/10nandy.htm
'It is time we realised the simple fact that this is no altruistic
campaign that the media is running. To reveal the truth or track down
a new villain. It is just part of its ongoing business, to create
every few days a new hero or a new villain who can capture the
headlines and sustain the sales.'

Let's stop sermonising http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/jan/10nandy.htm
'To protect our hypocrisies, we conveniently ignore the fact that far
more dangerous than the dancing girls in any restaurant are the cops
who terrorise them and try to deny them their livelihood.'

Inviting failure http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/dec/21nandy.htm
'Big money leads to scandals and scams. Whether it is the stock market
or the gentleman's game of cricket or show business or dotcoms,
whenever we succeed, we hurtle towards our own damnation. Like
Sisyphus, we are condemned to roll the same huge boulder up the same
steep hill only to watch it come rolling down after a while.'

The most mysterious film to have ever emerged out of Bollywood
http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/dec/16nandy.htm
'Tantalising as it may be, The Great Bottom (even if it happens to be
Madhuri's) cannot hold your attention for all of two hours in a dark
auditorium.'

Where's the moolah? http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/dec/09nandy.htm
'The way Veerappan is slowly emerging as a putative Tamil freedom
fighter speaks volumes for the way his image building exercise is
being planned and executed by a team of brilliant media managers. The
question is: Who is behind it all?'

Lynch Mob Psyche http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/nov/22nandy.htm
'If you allow the State to punish these cricketers without adequate
evidence, you will be giving the law enforcers a handle to hurt all of
us unjustly one day.'

Lessons from Sharjah http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/nov/02nandy.htm
'Not only are we incapable of turning back a cricket match from the
edge, we are also terribly bad losers. At least, as watchers of the
game.'

Time for Teamwork http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/oct/28nandy.htm
'There is nothing wrong with ambition but when we fail to forge
outstanding teams of talent simply because anyone who has any skills
wants to break away and do his or her own thing, India loses.'

Villain or Visionary? http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/oct/18nandy.htm
'In politics, the dividing line between the two is too thin. I am sure
his admirers and his enemies are as confused because it is not easy to
figure out whether we are punishing a great visionary for a minor
indiscretion or not letting a crook go simply because he once held the
highest office in the land.'

The RSS is wrong http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/oct/12nandy.htm
'It has failed to recognise the fact that whatever success
Christianity has met with in India is only because it has successfully
understood and adopted the spirit of India and, therefore, Hindutva.'

The oil price hike: The blow could have been softened
http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/sep/28nandy.htm
'The government should come clean and tell us how they intend to
restructure the taxes for oil and petroleum products so that we, the
people, know exactly at what price they are importing the stuff and at
what price it is being retailed to us. We are today mature enough, as
a nation and as a people, to face the facts and it is the
responsibility of the State to take us into confidence.'

Coping with the K word http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/sep/22nandy.htm
'After Pokhran II, a conflict between India and Pakistan is everyone's
problem because one mistake can blow us all up. Nuclearisation has
brought the issue centrestage. It is now everyone's concern.'

Is Taurani guilty? http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/sep/14nandy.htm
'The actual evidence against both Nadeem and Taurani appears too
slender for anyone to conclude definitively that they had conspired to
kill Gulshan Kumar. The case is before the courts and till the
honourable judges decide, we cannot call them criminals. They are
merely the accused.'

Defend the defenders of the law http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/sep/08nandy.htm
We must thank Justice Bharucha and the Supreme Court for reminding us
that a bully State is admittedly a sick State, but a supine State is
even worse. And for teaching our state governments that the easy way
out is not always the right one.

Om Ganeshaye Namah http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/aug/24nandy.htm
On one hand, we worship Lord Ganesha. On the other, we steal a hapless
baby elephant from its mother and force it to drink whiskey to amuse
ourselves. Is this entertainment? The Mahatma once said that a nation
is known by the way it treats its animals. It is time we realised how
we make a mockery of our non-violence when we allow such films to be
made and shown.'

Give Bachchan a chance http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/aug/17nandy.htm
'At least Bachchan has showed that he does not walk away from a
failure, however ignominious it may be. He is ready to acknowledge it,
pay for it and start afresh with a clean slate. How many businessmen
can you say that for?'

Flying The Tricolour http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/aug/10nandy.htm
'Why should the ordinary citizen not be allowed to fly the national
flag atop his home or place or work? Is it a crime to be a patriot?'

A slum dweller's saga http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/aug/03nandy.htm
'Frustrated by poverty, Joachim Arputham ran away from home when he
was 16. He boarded a train to Mumbai and landed in the midst of one of
the city's most ghastly slums. Last week, 53-year-old Joachim won the
world's most prestigious award -- the Magsaysay.'

Our highest tax payers are not top industrialists who boast about
their contribution to the exchequer http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/jul/20nandy.htm
'Most of the people who won the awards that evening were professionals
who earn their livelihood through, as they say, the sweat of the
brow.'

Murder Most Foul http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/jul/13nandy.htm
'In one week we have killed 13 of the rarest tigers in the world, 80
peacocks, our national bird and 12 spotted deer in different parts of
India through criminal callousness. Yet, those who have done this are
walking about as free men. By turning a Nelson's eye to such crimes,
we are giving militancy a free hand.'

A Tragic Hero http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/jun/07nandy.htm
Before we pass judgement on Hansie Cronje, let us look at the facts
dispassionately

Mumbai versus Bombay http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/jun/28nandy.htm
Like India, Mumbai has split itself wide open. We had India versus
Bharat. Now you have Mumbai versus Bombay. With both sides pretending
the other does not exist

Bad laws make bad people http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/jun/21nandy.htm
The purpose of many of our laws is to terrorise, loot and extort. They
have been devised specifically for that purpose.

The myth of Khairnar http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/jun/14nandy.htm
We must stop lionising a good and honest but imbecilic officer of the
State simply because he goes out and breaks down the homes of the
poor, robs vendors of their wares, destroys places of worship, all
under the pretext of cleaning up Bombay.

The art of self-defence http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/jun/07nandy.htm
No one has time to evaluate charges. People look at how public figures
respond. And that is how they make up their minds as to who is
guilty.

King Canute returns http://www.rediff.com/business/2000/may/24nandy.htm
The compulsions of any commerce, be it brick and mortar or e-trade,
cannot be allowed to subvert human rights and the freedom of citizens
to traverse the information highway of tomorrow.

Dot-com overdrive http://www.rediff.com/business/2000/may/10nandy.htm
Only the dot-coms that match click for brick and swiftly integrate new
stratagems with old revenue models will thrive. The rest will
stumble.

India, interrupted http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/may/03nandy.htm
The cooks and drivers and peons and stenos who slog for years in the
Gulf to bring up their families in India are the ones who have built
up modern India's huge dollar reserves which now exceed 37 billion.
While powerful politicians and bureaucrats and corrupt businessmen
before whom we are always eager to crawl are those very rascals who
have traditionally shortchanged India and banked their wealth
offshore.

Justice delayed may not always be justice denied
http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/apr/12nandy.htm
'Whether it is encounters with insurgents in the Kashmir Valley or it
is enquiring into the betting scandal in cricket or trying to track
down the mystery behind the murder of Priya Rajvansh, the problem is
the same. The media puts far too much pressure on the police to
perform. The result is the precise opposite.

New temples, new India http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/apr/05nandy.htm
'Whether the Indian stock market booms or flops, the ICE Age is here
to stay.'

50% PR, 50% Pyaar http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/mar/28nandy.htm
'Vajpayee appears more and more keen to settle issues and put our
relationship with Pakistan back on the rails. He does not say so
openly, given the fact that he does not know how the new leadership in
Pakistan would react to such an approach. He is also concerned with
what the hawks within his own party and its allies would say if he
were to send out an olive branch to a despised neighbour who only
recently provoked an unnecessary and brutal war at the border
resulting in the death of thousands of young soldiers.'

Bil Vil Pyaar Vyar http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/mar/21nandy.htm
'Just as we cannot afford to allow the jehadi forces to win against
us, nor can America. For the very terrorists who are striking against
Indian targets today are the ones who will strike at American targets
tomorrow. Kargil is just a trial run. The real target, for them, is
the Pentagon.'

Double Jeopardy http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/mar/14nandy.htm
'If at all Hindu fundamentalism exists, it is marginal and somewhat
comic. No one takes old men in khaki half pants seriously. But Muslim
fundamentalism means violence and terrorism. It means bloodshed on our
borders. It means Osama bin Laden...'

Hail Sinha for offering a Budget for the new economy
http://www.rediff.com/business/2000/mar/08nandy.htm
'Yashwant Sinha has obviously made up his mind that the future of
India lies not in the commodity economy of the past but in the ideas
economy of tomorrow.'

A drain inspector's report http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/feb/23nandy.htm
'I am sure there are many lonely wives finding solace in each other's
arms. I am sure there are many poor widows in Varanasi whoring for a
livelihood. There is no shame in admitting that. But surely there is
much more to India today than its failures, its aberrations.'

The ISI bugbear http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/feb/09nandy.htm
'The ISI is bad, yes. The ISI is wicked, true. But by giving it too
much undue importance, by making it look larger than it really is, we
are making Pakistan look far stronger than it is.'

Fighting graft http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/feb/02nandy.htm
'N Vittal is in the eye of a storm with everyone baying for his blood
simply because no one ever thought that the fight against corruption
was meant to be taken seriously.'

Five myths about second hand cars http://www.rediff.com/business/2000/jan/27nandy.htm
'Import of second hand cars will not harm the domestic industry in any
way. The resistance to the move only exposes the Indian companies'
incompetence.'

e-com or e-com? http://www.rediff.com/computer/2000/jan/18nandy.htm
'E-com meant electronic communication, not electronic commerce. And,
in fact, the entire Internet community looked down upon those who
wanted to use the World Wide Web for business.'

A short pause http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/jan/12nandy.htm
'Today I hope you will forgive me as I take a break from matters of
state to write about my mother as her dead body lies on the cold
floor...'

A time to celebrate http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/jan/05nandy.htm
'Tony Blair and his merry men attracted more tourists to London on a
freezing winter day than we get here in this gorgeous country in an
entire year. Where there is so much to offer in terms of beauty,
history, nature and celebrations. We fear celebrating anything because
we fear criticism, harassment.'

Another stupid ban http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/dec/22nandy.htm
'Matka ends up as a crime while horse racing is a wonderful sport. The
matka operator is a criminal simply because his clients are not
dressed in Armani suits, do not speak English and would not know how
to uncork a bottle of champagne after winning.'

Divesting correctly http://www.rediff.com/business/1999/dec/16nandy.htm
'The GAIL divestment was shoddy, and at a price that is shamefully
low. The offloading of PSU stocks must be open to public scrutiny. No
government has the mandate to sell off PSUs for a song.'

The BJP's secret weapon http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/dec/08nandy.htm
'If Indian democracy has to grow and flourish, the Opposition also
needs a leader of similar status. Sonia can not, will not do. She will
only make the BJP stronger and the Opposition weaker and weaker.'

Warped morality http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/nov/16nandy.htm
'If we are so amoral about profit, why do we make such a tamasha over
small things? Why do we want to close bars at midnight, chop off
kissing scenes on the screen, banish rock concerts and casinos, and
treat those who smoke grass or drop acid or snort coke as noxious
criminals?'

The road not taken http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/nov/02nandy.htm
Look at our most recent prime ministers. V P Singh, Chandra Shekhar, P
V Narasimha Rao, H D Deve Gowda, I K Gujral. Each of them makes a
perfect study in despair. They basked in their own glory and wrote
themselves out of the history books.

Bulls in China Garden http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/oct/27nandy.htm
'I have no reason to support Nelson Wang. I recognise him simply for
what he is. A fine restaurateur, a sharp businessman, a soldier of
fortune. But I am sad the institution he built, whatever may be its
technical flaws, was openly murdered in full daylight.'

The importance of competition http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/sep/29nandy.htm
'Those who had presumed that the Indian market was a cakewalk suddenly
found they were all wrong. The huge 350 million middle class they were
told that was just waiting to lap up firang goods simply did not
exist.'

Doing Your Own Thing http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/sep/22nandy.htm
'We need to encourage more self employed professionals however humble
their skills may be. We do not need, we do not want India to be a
nation of frustrated peons, clerks, typists, stenographers and
telephone operators.'

No Time For Deals http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/sep/14nandy.htm
'Whichever party, whichever alliance comes to power it must make one
fundamental choice. Who will it work for? Will it work for the Indian
people? Or will it work for our business houses?'

The Awesome Threesome http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/sep/08nandy.htm
'Nothing matters, nothing counts except politics, cricket, movies.
Loved, hated, despised, revered in equal measure, they are the new
deities of modern India.'

Who wants a Nanny? http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/aug/31nandy.htm
'Freedom does not diminish us; it strengthens us. It teaches us how to
face the world. While banning and censorship keeps us in chains.'

• Soft options, hard choices http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/aug/25nandy.htm
• Sack Asha Parekh http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/aug/18nandy.htm
• The Break Up Bug http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/aug/10nandy.htm
• The State as Bully http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/aug/03nandy.htm
• Time to change friends http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/jul/28nandy.htm
• The Lessons of Kargil http://www.rediff.com/business/1999/jul/20nandy.htm
• Exploiting the War http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/aug/18nandy.htm
• The Great Comeback http://www.rediff.com/business/1999/jul/06nandy.htm
• Eff the Killer Instinct! http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/jun/29nandy.htm
• Reveal Bofors http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/jun/23nandy.htm
• Demolish the myth http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/jun/16nandy.htm
• Stop Bashing Azhar http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/jun/09nandy.htm
• What a choice! http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/may/20nandy.htm
• The Story of Jack Preger http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/may/12nandy.htm
• Material Girl http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/may/05nandy.htm
• What happens now? http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/apr/21nandy.htm
• The Art of Besharmi http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/apr/14nandy.htm
• A Silly Season http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/apr/07nandy.htm
• Tragic Memory Lapse http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/mar/31nandy.htm
• Role Reversals http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/mar/24nandy.htm
• Good Riddance http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/mar/18nandy.htm
• Don't Buy the Lie http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/mar/10nandy.htm
• The Shadow Government http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/feb/24nandy.htm
• Missionaries of Hope http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/feb/17nandy.htm
• The end of manufacturing http://www.rediff.com/business/1999/feb/12nandy.htm
• Living with pain http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/feb/03nandy.htm
• Playing ball with the enemy http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/jan/21nandy.htm
• Failing Hopes, Rising Crime http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/jan/13nandy.htm
• Role Reversal http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/jan/06nandy.htm
• Not a bad year after all http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/dec/30nandy.htm
• Stop the Yankee-bashing http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/dec/23nandy.htm
• Let's scorn hypocrisy http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/dec/16nandy.htm
• The Fire Within http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/dec/09nandy.htm
• Lessons for a Loser http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/dec/01nandy.htm
• Playing god http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/nov/25nandy.htm
• The Right to be Heard http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/nov/18nandy.htm
• Simple Ideas Work http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/nov/10nandy.htm
• The Mafia vs the MNCs http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/nov/03nandy.htm
• The wages of sin http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/oct/29nandy.htm
• The Hypocrisy of Politics http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/oct/22nandy.htm
• Out with Laloo!http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/oct/07nandy.htm
• An evil empire grows http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/oct/02nandy.htm
• Wanted: A Visionary http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/sep/22nandy.htm
• No, Chief Minister! http://www.rediff.com/business/1998/sep/14nandy.htm
• Excellence beats inflation http://www.rediff.com/business/1998/sep/10nandy.htm
• Brave New Media http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/sep/01nandy.htm
• Sheer Bull! http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/aug/24nandy.htm
• Stop The Bullies! http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/aug/19nandy.htm
• Natural Born Killers! http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/aug/11nandy.htm
• The thoughtful taxman http://www.rediff.com/business/1998/aug/05nandy.htm
• Playing Judas http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/jul/28nandy.htm
• A Stupid, Senseless Ban http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/jul/20nandy.htm
• The Politics of Bungee Jumping http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/jul/17nandy.htm
• BJP comes centrestage http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/jul/09nandy.htm
• Re-engineering Pokhran II http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/jun/29nandy.htm
• Hindu, Yankee Bhai Bhai http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/jun/22nandy.htm
• Only Dhirubhai! http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/jun/16nandy.htm
• The Mask of Swadeshi http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/jun/09nandy.htm
• The Theatre of Strife http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/jun/01nandy.htm
• News? No washed in Lux! http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/may/25nandy.htm
• Wrong, Harshad Mehta http://www.rediff.com/business/1998/may/18nandy.htm
• Defending Thackeray http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/may/11nandy.htm
• The war within http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/may/04nandy.htm
• The Power of Villainy http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/apr/28nandy.htm
• Thank you, Amma! http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/apr/20nandy.htm
• Independence Rock http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/apr/15nandy.htm
• The Young and the Restless http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/apr/06nandy.htm
• This bane of swadeshi politics http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/mar/30nandy.htm
• Seeta Aur Geeta http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/mar/24nandy.htm
• Hobson's Choice http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/mar/16nandy.htm
• Our New Netas http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/mar/10nandy.htm
• Altering the Mandate http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/mar/05nandy.htm
• The prodigal son http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/feb/23nandy.htm
• Lies, damned lies, and politics http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/feb/16nandy.htm
• The Men Who May Be PM http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/feb/09nandy.htm
• Indian democracy does not get hysterical about a blow job
http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/feb/03nandy.htm
• The weak and instability http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/jan/19nandy.htm
• The media as villain http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/jan/14nandy.htm
• Great cricketers do not usually make great captains
http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/jan/05nandy.htm
• The BJP and its new-found ugly allies http://www.rediff.com/news/dec/29nandy.htm
• The Sultan of Sham http://www.rediff.com/news/dec/22nandy.htm
• The State as Bribetaker http://www.rediff.com/news/dec/17nandy.htm
• Both the BJP and Congress stink! http://www.rediff.com/news/dec/08nandy.htm
• Freedom from falsehood http://www.rediff.com/news/nov/25nandy.htm
• Yet another Slugfest http://www.rediff.com/news/nov/18nandy.htm
• Everything is collapsing because we refuse to see the big picture
• Why do Indians hate success? http://www.rediff.com/news/nov/12nandy.htm
• A Preposterous Gallery of Rogues http://www.rediff.com/news/nov/05nandy1.htm
• Kesri is baying at the moon. A werewolf without his teeth
• Extortion, a national pastime http://www.rediff.com/news/oct/27nandy.htm
• Ladakh is too innocent for bloodshed http://www.rediff.com/news/oct/22nandy.htm
• Misunderstanding Bribery http://www.rediff.com/news/oct/07nandy.htm
• India wins another round http://www.rediff.com/news/oct/01nandy.htm
• The Lost Children Of India http://www.rediff.com/news/sep/24nandy.htm
• This Was No Candle In The Wind http://www.rediff.com/news/sep/17nandy.htm
• The Lessons For Bollywood http://www.rediff.com/news/sep/12nandy.htm
• Crime, Films, New Age Politics http://www.rediff.com/news/sep/03nandy.htm
• The Great Betrayal http://www.rediff.com/news/aug/27nandy.htm

http://www.rediff.com/news/nandy.htm

http://navanavonmilita.wordpress.com/regurgitated-saffron-shit-rss-sid-harth/

...and I am Sid Harth

cogitoergosum

Apr 26, 2010, 3:47:00 AM4/26/10
On Apr 18, 3:42 pm, cogitoergosum <navanavonmil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Regurgitated Saffron S**t, RSS: Sid Harth

Regurgitated Saffron S**t, RSS: Sid Harth

http://navanavonmilita.wordpress.com/regurgitated-saffron-shit-rss-sid-harth/
http://navanavonmilita.wordpress.com/regurgitated-saffron-shit-sid-harth/

2010 Issues > May 02, 2010

Oppose, expose vote bank politics—Mohan Bhagwat

China is repeatedly staking its claim over Arunachal Pradesh and
Sikkim and is talking to allow the entry of Arunachal Pradesh people
without visa. Similarly, Bangladesh is claiming its ownership over 300
Indian villages and is covertly promoting intrusions. Such situations
should be dealt with an iron hand as any laxity on the part of the
government may worsen the situation.

Sangh Samagam at Morabadi Grounds in Ranchi

RSS Sarsanghachalak Shri Mohan Bhagwat lashed out at the policy of
appeasement being pursued by UPA government for vote bank politics.
Addressing the Sangh Samagam organised at Morabadi Grounds in Ranchi
on April 18, he said the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s utterance
that Muslims had first right over the country’s resources was against
the basic tenets of the Constitution and secular credentials of the
country.

Addressing the strong gathering of over 25000-uniformed RSS
swayamsevaks and sympathisers he said the Centre’s move to grant
religion-based reservation was against the constitutional provisions
and would further weaken the social structure of the country. He asked
Dr Manmohan-led UPA government how a community that ruled undivided
India for nearly five centuries could be socially and politically weak
like SCs, STs and OBCs. “If they (Muslims) are economically weak, the
reservation in jobs may be given to economically backward population
of all the communities and religions,” he said adding that king has
the responsibility to treat all the countrymen alike without any
favour.

Referring to the cross-border threats, Shri Bhagwat said Pakistan in
the west, China in the north and Bangladesh in the north-east are
talking in sweet tongues but are conspiring to stab in back. “The
Union Government and countrymen should beware of the evil designs of
these neighbouring countries. China is repeatedly staking its claim
over Arunachal Pradesh and Sikkim and is talking to allow the entry of
Arunachal Pradesh people without visa. Similarly, Bangladesh is
claiming its ownership over 300 Indian villages and is covertly
promoting intrusions. Such situations should be dealt with an iron
hand as any laxity on the part of the government may worsen the
situation. If our enemy neighbour is resorting to bullets we must give
a befitting reply instead of harping on coming to negotiation table.
The Centre is talking of only those problems that make news but is not
coming up with remedial measures. If we work with courage, problems
could be sorted out within a short span and even the most powerful
enemies could be easily defeated,” he said.

He expressed dismay over the fact that despite Supreme Court’s
specific instruction to identify and enlist the Bangladeshi intruders
and deport them, the Centre is not doing anything concrete in this
direction, again with vote bank politics in mind. “Census and
citizenship are two different issues and even if the Bangladeshis,
settled in the country without permission, figure in the census,
citizenship should not be granted to them,” he stressed. He said
Hindutva is not just a religious belief, a way of worshipping Gods-
deities, any specific language, part of land or culture but a way of
holistic thinking. Fidelity and devotion to the country, its millennia-
old culture and ancestors are the real Hinduism, he said. He said the
Muslims of India have not come from Arabian countries and Christians
of the country too do not have their roots in Europe. All our
ancestors were same—the Hindus who were forcibly converted to Islam
and Christianity by foreign invaders. Followers of different religious
beliefs will have to understand that one can change one’s religion,
language, dress code, culture or food habits but not one’s ancestors.
Hindutva is a post-modern thinking, having a holistic approach and
speaking the language of love beyond the borders for the whole world,
he added.

He said India has been recognised and respected for centuries across
the globe for its traditions like the Ganga, the Himalayas, Sri Ram,
Sri Krishna, Bhagwan Mahavir, Bhagwan Buddha and Guru Nanakdev but the
decreasing Hindu population and vote bank politics by certain
politicians are making a dent into the country’s prestige.

Referring to newsmen’s question on his arrival at Ranchi airport
whether the leadership of Jharkhand was in safe hands, he said unless
the voters of the state develop the capacity of handing over the reins
in safe hands, things would not move in the desired direction.
Development friendly environment is created by quality initiatives of
the common man and not by leaders or preachers, he maintained.

About the climate change across the globe, Shri Bhagwat said the
indiscriminate exploitation of natural resources and nature-stored
energy is polluting the soil, water, air and whole environment and
planners should try to replenish the resources.

Dispelling the certain misconceptions about RSS, he urged the people
not to form any opinion about the organisation without knowing,
watching it closely. “We work in open and have no hidden agenda,” he
said adding that entry into and exit from RSS was completely free and
unrestricted and anyone could come into the organisation for a year or
two to understand its pious mission. The RSS is running 1,57,000
service projects across the country without any government support. Be
it foreign aggression, natural calamities like floods, earthquakes,
droughts, cyclones or big accidents, we extend our services to the
country without any discrimination of creed, community or religion.
Our mission is to prepare such a group of people up to village level,
who are committed to live or sacrifice their life for the country,
said the RSS chief.

Earlier in the day, Shri Bhagwat inaugurated the state office of
Dharma Jagaran Samanway Vibhag at Lavanya Apartment, Morabadi.

(By Sanjay Kumar Azad, VSK, Ranchi)

http://www.organiser.org/dynamic/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=342&page=40

Issues > May 02, 2010

Thinking Aloud

Why Indians are ill-treated abroad?
By Dr Jay Dubashi

Look at the way China is behaving with the West. It is going about as
if it owned the world, and one day it may. The Chinese hate Westerners
and are so proud of their history and culture that they take umbrage
at the slightest offensive remark from the Americans. Recently, they
forced Google, the giant network company, to leave China, lock, stock
and barrel and took a number of Americans to court for taking bribes
from Chinese businessmen.

THERE are two kinds of people or politicians. Those who talk a great
deal but do nothing. And those who say very little and do nothing. Our
friend Chidambaram belongs to the first type, and our good friend
Manmohan Singh to the second. Both end up doing very little or
nothing.

Ever since he became home minister at the center, hardly a day goes by
without Chidambaram holding forth on this or that, as if the world
hung on every word of his. I have no idea what he says, because,
knowing him, I rarely take time to read what he says. But ministers
are known or should be known by what they do, not what they say, which
may be why he makes so much noise to make up for the paucity of
action.

Now he says he will get rid of the Naxalites in three years. I hope he
does, for if he doesn’t we shall have to go in for another home
minister, may be another government. But why three years? Why not one
year or two or four? Because three years sounds very convincing. If he
had said one year, nobody would believe him. The CRP jawans are said
to be using World War Two rifles, which are seen in museums all over
the world, but are standard issue in India. It is because the jawans
were out gunned that so many of them were butchered recently by the
Naxalites. When will Chidambaram’s ministry get proper rifles?

If he said four years, nobody would believe him either, because
politicians in India rarely last four years. So three years is a safe
figure, neither here nor there, and since public memory is so short,
very few would remember that such an assurance had ever been given.

Dr. Manmohan Singh’s case is different. He rarely says anything, even
on TV, as if he was afraid to open his mouth. When he appears on TV,
you have to cock your ears to make out what he is saying. For a man
who says nothing, he has an ideal voice.

You should be able to make out what he is saying, or not saying, by
the movement of his lips. But that is not always helpful. The real
reason why Singh says nothing is that he has very little to say.
Almost everything he has touched- apart from opening up the economy
and helping foreign companies to buy up India—has turned to some thing
less than success. The Americans, after giving him a big lift—a state
dinner in Washington and all that—are now preparing to dump him. The
Americans are lavishing all their love on Pakistanis and have no time
for India. The Americans have always been partial to Muslim dictators—
Suharto in Indonesia, Hosni Mubarak in Egypt and until they cheerfully
hanged him, Saddan Hussain in Iraq—so it is not surprising that they
should fall in love with Pakistan. But how is it that Manmohan Singh
has realised this only now?

The trouble with people like Chidambaram and Singh is that they really
believe what the Westerners tell them. Barack Obama once said that
India was America’s best friend, something he says to everyone
visiting him in the White House for a meal, and our Johnnies really
started believing him. Westerners have no friends, best or otherwise,
as history has shown again and again. The relationship between India
and America is based on mutual interest, as it is between America and
other countries, or, for that matter, India and other countries. When
the interests differ, as they do from time to time, the relationship
goes haywire. The fact that America and India are two of the largest
democracies in the world is immaterial. There was a time when
everybody was a socialist, as Nixon once said. Now we are all
democrats, from Angola to Zanzibar. But that doesn’t make for a
special relationship.

But that is not how people like Chidambaram see it. They really
believe that the Westerners love them, and the more you scrape and bow
before them, the more they love you. Actually, the more you scrape and
bow before them, the more they despise you, just as the Americans
despise the Britishers, particularly jokers like Tony Blair, who tried
to become more and more like the Americans and became so much like a
poodle that the Americans started kicking him around. He has not been
seen in the White House, ever since Barack Obama replaced Bush, though
Obama’s father was a Commonwealth citizen at one time.

Look at the way China is behaving with the West. It is going about as
if it owned the world, and one day it may. The Chinese hate Westerners
and are so proud of their history and culture that they take umbrage
at the slightest offensive remark from the Americans. Recently, they
forced Google, the giant network company, to leave China, lock, stock
and barrel and took a number of Americans to court for taking bribes
from Chinese businessmen.

Chidambaram believes that he has some kind of a special relationship
with the US, and all doors open for him in Washington as soon as he
says “Open Sesame”. He told us that he would bring David Coleman
Headley, if indeed that is the rogue’s name, here for questioning as
soon as the Americans had finished with him. Actually, they finished
with him long ago, and the fellow is now in safe custody in some jail
in the US, and poor Chidambaram came to know of this like you and we,
that is, from newspapers. He was not told that Headley was pardoned by
the Americans, and is now safely in a US jail and it is for Indians to
find out where he is and go there on bended knees and persuade him to
talk. Of course, he is not going to talk to Indians. Why should he? He
is safely among friends that is, CIA & Co, and since he is a US
employee, he is probably waiting for his pension. In fact, Headley may
be an employee of Pakistan too, which means he has two patrons, which
makes him perhaps the safest prisoner in the world. And what are
Chidambaram & Co doing about it? Twiddling their thumbs in North
Block, waiting for a visa to Washington!

Meanwhile, Indians are being ill-treated everywhere. They are being
killed in Australia and Dubai, they are being murdered in Pakistan—
while we treat their cricketers like heroes —they are being hounded in
England and Europe and they are being lynched in Africa. But our
government says nothing, does nothing. Indian leaders have become
poodles, like Tony Blair, but even poodles bark from time to time. Our
men have lost their tongues and cannot even bark, let alone bite. How
can you bite when you have no teeth?

(The writer can be contacted at 301, Mani Kanchan Apts, Kanchan Galli,
Law College Road, Pune-411 004)

http://www.organiser.org/dynamic/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=342&page=5

2010 Issues > May 02, 2010

Editorial

The success of BJP rally proves mass mobilisation still possible on
socio-economic issues.

The mammoth rally organised by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in the
capital on April 21 became a major political event not only because of
the huge mobilisation of the people from all walks of life, but also
because it was one of the biggest-ever mass rallies against the
central government in the past many years.

The frustration and anger of the poor people, their desire to express
opposition to the Congress government’s policies that have made food
inflation a permanent feature were evident in the massive turnout and
the spontaneity of the teeming multitude to brave the Delhi mid-summer
heat. That such a huge assembly was peaceful and did not create any
kind of law and order problem—each person from the nook and corner of
the country, such as remote Vanvasi hamlets came on valid tickets—
usually associated with such political show of strength, other than
choking most parts of the national capital region, is a matter of
pride to the organisers. Also it was a scintillating display of the
organisational strength, discipline and mass base of the main
opposition party. This was the first major national campaign of the
BJP under its youthful new president Nitin Gadkari.

The BJP president is right when he says that Congress regimes are
synonymous with scarcity and unaffordable food price. How does the
Congress achieve it? In fact, there is no mystery about it. In the pre-
liberalisation era its fetish for control, and license-permit raj
stunted the country’s economic growth and ensured poverty. The post-
liberalisation Congress has unleashed a monstrous avalanche of market
forces and so-called innovative finance market derivatives that make
it impossible for the government to intervene and control price rise.
In the derivatives market price rise in a commodity means maximum
returns for the market players. Coupled with it, and fascinated by the
indoctrination of IMF-World Bank economics, Indian agriculture,
particularly food production was systematically discouraged with the
plea that imported foot articles are cheaper and that the cost of
production of food items in India is higher compared to the world
average. In fact, these are fallacious arguments. What India has to
ensure is self-sufficiency in food and proper storage facility for
procured food articles. The government’s failure and indifference
cannot be better explained than citing the rotting of 30,000 metric
tones of food grains in Punjab last month for want of proper storage
facility. Scarcity in food market is what both middlemen and
politicians love. They make huge profit in the business of import and
export of food and issuance of permission for the same. The recent
sugar—in fact, every season after Sharad Pawar became food minister
there was a scam— price scandal is too fresh in memory for anyone to
forget.

That is why Nitin Gadkari said, during the Janata Party rule in the
late seventies and the NDA rule from 1998 to 2004, there was price
stability. There was a surplus in food availability.

Now, the Congress is attempting another fraud on the people in the
name of Food Security Bill. Under this there is an orchestrated debate
on the number of BPL families, which according to the Planning
Commission are 8.14 crore and which if “Sonia Gandhi’s anxiety” is
factored in will rise to nine crore plus. This exercise is meant to
first destroy the existing public distribution system (PDS),
reintroduce it with a Sonia tag and make the beneficiaries of food
subsidy indebted to the Congress Party. Worse, the centre will save
nearly Rs. 20,000 crore on food subsidy bill.

The Congress ploy is to profit from high food price on the one hand
and create a loyal political constituency for itself, on the other,
through Food Security Bill.

The BJP’s successful and timely initiative in taking the continuing
food scarcity and rising prices to the people is a step in the right
direction. For about a year now food inflation is hovering around 18
per cent. And the government was easily getting away repeating alibis.
The massive turnout in the rally has also proved that still people can
be mobilised on socio-economic issues.

http://www.organiser.org/dynamic/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=342&page=4

2010 Issues > May 02, 2010

Perspective

India is generating vast wealth
Is it defending itself ?
By Bharat Verma

Despite historical lessons of defeat at the hands of marauding armies,
Delhi Durbar’s incompetence and ignorance in equipping the excellent
military machine inherited from the British is again on display. Today
the danger of disruption to the Union is much higher than in the
previous centuries. Worse, the lack of offensive orientation in
political thinking degrades the ability of the military to defend the
Union from the extraordinary threat developing on its borders.

INDIA has the potential to be to Asia, what America is to the world –
a symbol of hope, liberty and freedom.

Closed societies like China or Pakistan do not fit the bill. Due to
authoritarian regimes in Beijing and Islamabad, in times to come they
will remain preoccupied with growing internal societal turmoil.
Therefore, they will naturally tend to threaten democratic India,
militarily and with the help of their irregular forces to divert
attention from the brewing internal storm. Particularly true, as on
one hand, the Indian democracy negates their authoritarian philosophy,
and on the other, the Union is perceived as a soft target to be
conquered or cause rupture.

But technology driven 21st century cannot be China’s century in Asia
as is being touted by its proxy Pakistan or the Chinese themselves.
Simply as these are very brittle, regressive and perpetually paranoid
societies that cannot sustain such enlarged influence as they get into
an over reach. While the People’s Liberation Army, the largest in the
world consists of 3.5 million soldiers to project power; Beijing
employs whopping twenty-one million to police the dissent internally!

Military threat from such dictatorial regimes will increase to free
societies as the western democracies retreat from Asia. There already
exists a severe trust deficit between China and the small countries in
the region.

Possibly India is the only country in Asia that boasts of the
potential to occupy the strategic high ground gradually being vacated
by the retreating western forces, provided it develops offensive
orientation at the political level. Unlike China, its soft power
increasingly impacts on Asia. The young demographic profile will
continue to propel Indian economy to greater heights at least till end
of the year 2050. China’s ageing profile shows trends that it will,
first grow old then rich, unlike Japan, which grew rich then old.
India if governed fairly well, will grow rich and then old like
Japan.

India’s multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-religious society is
the melting pot in Asia that benefits from rich diversity and open
society. However, it is not as fortunate to be situated geographically
in a safe haven like America, which is surrounded by nations with
similar values.

Historically, the direction of demographic flow for centuries saw
invasions from Central Asia to capture Delhi. Every fifty to hundred
years, the subcontinent due to the genius of natives tends to generate
wealth. From time immemorial this attracted hordes of invaders from
Central Asia. Delhi Durbar was unable to defend itself as it neglected
its military. Time and again, the rulers in Delhi were subjugated, as
their incompetence in wielding the military was pathological.

Once again India is generating vast wealth. Once again it refuses to
defend it!

Despite historical lessons of defeat at the hands of marauding armies,
Delhi Durbar’s incompetence and ignorance in equipping the excellent
military machine inherited from the British is again on display. Today
the danger of disruption to the Union is much higher than in the
previous centuries. Worse, the lack of offensive orientation in
political thinking degrades the ability of the military to defend the
Union from the extraordinary threat developing on its borders.

The level of danger continues to creep north from “orange” to “red” on
our land borders primarily on two counts. First, as a deception plan
Pakistan on its birth, professed to be secular, while in reality the
leaders wanted a purely Islamic state. As a result the minority Hindu
population of more than thirteen per cent in a population of 76
million in 1947 got reduced to barely two per cent even as the
population of Pakistan increased in 2004 to 156 million. After
refusing to share power with the Bengalis in the East and breaking up
their country, the Pakistani Sunnis not satisfied with this calibrated
purge, now want to eliminate the Shias and expel the Ahmadiyas from
Islam.

In its devious journey towards fundamentalist Islam, it also wants to
lock the women folk inside their homes under Taliban diktat, thus
negating fifty per cent of its population. This dangerous religious
philosophy based on extreme form of imported Wahabi Islam is
intolerant of world view of others, wields nuclear weapons, nurtures a
Talibanised army that runs a large irregular guerrilla force solely
motivated by Islamic fundamentalism, and partners China. The ideology
of Pakistan is in direct confrontation with the values cherished by
India.

Worse, Pakistan’s financial bankruptcy exacerbates the internal
instability. This in turn provides cheap human resource, to be used as
cannon fodder, by the jihad factory run by the ISI. One feeds on the
other. Islamic fundamentalism occupies Pakistan’s political space that
in turn negates Indian influence, which wisely extended up to
Afghanistan during British rule. It was the British Indian Army that
kept a check on the repeat of a history of invasions from Central
Asia.

Ironically, instead of consolidating and integrating Kashmir, pacifist
New Delhi is permitting the birth of a similar pocket of influence
with extreme philosophy in the valley that will come back to haunt
India in the near future.

Second, to add to the woes of New Delhi, a bigger threat in addition
to the existing one is posed by communist China. While too much ‘god’
motivates Pakistan, China pretends to be a ‘godless’ state. Unlike
nations that boast of an army, in Pakistan the army owns the state. On
the other hand, in China the People’s Liberation Army is loyal to the
Chinese Communist Party and not the state. Dissent in both is a ‘no-
no’ in varying degrees. Both, Pakistan and China, unlike India are
paranoid about open societies. Thus, Beijing and Islamabad share
commonality of purpose and together direct their energies to upstage
India in international forums, on the borders and by fomenting
internal dissent. In a unique ‘jointmanship,’ Islamabad clandestinely
transfers sensitive defence technology it receives from the west to
Beijing on ‘barter basis’ as there is ban on transfer to China!

The concurrent rise of China and India pits them against each other,
as they compete for the same resources, but one with an authoritarian
regime that is scared of Dalai Lama and Google, and the other with a
free society that revels in religion, Dalai Lama and Google.

Threat from China was evident from its maps in 1946. Mao with the help
of these maps described Tibet as the palm of a hand with its five
fingers— Ladakh, Sikkim, Nepal, Bhutan and NEFA as Chinese territories
that needed to be liberated. Tibet was liberated by force while New
Delhi slept. Nepal found India’s refusal to defend Tibet as a sign of
an unreliable ally and thought it prudent to open communications with
Beijing.

Today India stands encircled by China

To be supreme in Asia, and impelled by the necessity to divert the
attention from the growing internal turmoil, Beijing is likely to
design a limited but visible military victory in a joint strategy with
Islamabad. Pakistan under severe threat of fragmentation would be more
than a willing ally.

With Afghanistan being abandoned by the West, beginning July 2011,
Islamabad will craft a strategy to take over Kabul with the help of
Islamic fundamentalist groups. The irony is that in the aftermath of
the exit of the West; Taliban will occupy the Parliament being built
by India in Kabul and connive disruption from there of the Indian
Union. These groups will not target the West immediately since the
latter retains the ability to re-intervene once inaction is deemed as
‘suicidal’. The Taliban will initially concentrate on unraveling a
soft target like India in concert with Beijing -Islamabad -Kabul or
Chinese Communists- Pakistan Army- Irregular Forces axis.

The physical threat to India will materialize in 2012, after the exit
of the American forces from Afghanistan. Earlier India had to contend
with a single threat from its West/Central Asia. Now another threat
posed from the North under a joint strategy between China and Pakistan
has emerged.

The developing scenario suggests that henceforth GHQ Rawalpindi will
further orchestrate provocation against India to regain lost ground in
J&K by way of rallies in PoK or Lahore and through military
machinations on our borders. It will provide fillip to terrorist
attacks, export of fake currency, inserting terrorists in India
through Nepal, activation of sleeper cells, and raising controversy on
non-issues like water. Beijing while talking ambiguously up to 2012
buildup will continue to support the Maoists in Nepal and step up
training and funding to Maoist in India. The intensity of Cyber War
will meanwhile increase.

In nutshell, the objective will be to keep India off balance.

By 2012, to unravel India, Beijing is likely to para-drop a division
of its Special Forces inside the Siliguri Corridor to sever the
Northeast. There will be simultaneous attacks in other parts of the
border and linkup with the Special Forces holding the Siliguri
Corridor will be effected. All these will take place under the nuclear
overhang. In concert Islamabad will activate the second front to
unhook Kashmir by making offensive moves across the IB in the plains
and the desert to divide Indian reaction capability. Meanwhile the
fifth columnists supporting these external forces will unleash mayhem
inside.

Two key question for New Delhi:

1. Will India go nuclear if its territorial integrity is threatened?
France’s stated policy is that it will use the nuclear option, if
Germany is attacked. Germany is not likely to face a nuclear
adversary, yet France will use nuclear option if it is attacked. India
faces threat from two nuclear powers in its vicinity. Will India shift
its stated position of second strike to first strike, if the
territorial integrity of the Union is under threat?

2. Will New Delhi have the gumption to order the Navy to retaliate and
stop the flow of cargo in the Indian Ocean being freighted to China?
Or will it order the Air Force to conduct offensive and decisive
strategic strikes inside Tibet?

New Delhi requires to develop offensive orientation in its thinking
for the answers to be in affirmative. India has produced more than its
share of great thinkers in civil affairs. However, being a pacifist
society, it does not boast of a single military thinker of repute.
Therefore, we should not hesitate to import knowledge from the best
military thinkers to create an assertive society, just in the same
way, as we need to import the best defence technologies to set up the
most modern defence industry hub that ensures expansion of democratic
space in Asia.

The ideal opportunity for China to dismember India is between 2011 and
2014 on multiple counts. First, to divert attention from the growing
dissent within. Second, beyond this period, Pakistan as a fragmented
nation may not exist to support the Chinese. Third, the change of
generation by 2015 will witness an assertive India. Fourth, the new
Indian assertiveness will ensure rapid modernization of the Armed
Forces with robust military capabilities. Last but not the least,
given the fact it does not pose threat to any country, India will
create strong international alliances. It is in a unique position and
gets along well with the West, as well as countries like Russia and
others. In fact, the international opinion will decisively tilt in
favour of India if it shrewdly deals with the powerful geo-economic
card held in the arsenal.

The answer to the outlined nightmare stares India on its face.

India simply needs to take out the cost-benefit ratio from the game
plan of the opponent by rapidly acquiring the requisite military
muscle that outguns and outclasses the adversary. War is akin to
business. If there is no cost-benefit ratio, it cannot be imposed!
Such assertive actions will also naturally propel India in Asia as the
most influential player and arrest the slide of retreating
democracies.

http://www.organiser.org/dynamic/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=342&page=12

2010 Issues > May 02, 2010

The Moving Finger Writes

Revolution : An outdated concept
By MV Kamath

How long do we have to wait for the traitorous Naxalite rebellion to
be quelled? The UPA government is looking like a standing joke. The
blame lies entirely on the UPA government for its soft-kneed approach
towards every issue hurting the motherland.

HOW long do we have to wait for the traitorous Naxalite rebellion to
be quelled? The UPA government is looking like a standing joke. If we
are to believe Home Minister P Chidambaram, the government will get
rid of the Naxals before the term of the UPA II ends. Does he know how
the former West Bengal Chief Minister Siddartha Shankar Ray did his
job?

After what happened at Dantewada, one of the poorest districts in
India with 66 per cent of the 7.2 lakh population of tribal origin,
the UPA government should have stepped down and fresh elections should
have been held. That the Naxalites should have succeeded in killing 74
members of the Alpha Company of the Central Reserve Police Force
(CRPF) in an ambush at Chintalnar indicates the sheer impudence of the
Naxalites.

Apparently, throughout the tribal belt extending to an estimated 200
districts, Naxal cadres number more than 10,000. What is more shocking
and shameful is that these forces have the tacit support of so-called
intellectuals like Arundhati Roy, who needs to be questioned. The
exact number of Maoists is open to guesswork, but again, according to
another count, they number “several thousand” and are well-equipped
with Insas Rifles, AK-47s, grenades and rocket launchers, additionally
capable of making Improvised Explosive Devises (IEDs). Furthermore,
they are also supported by an excellent intelligence service.

From where did the Naxalites get their weapons? Who stitched their
uniforms? It is claimed by Minhaz Merchant, chairman of a media group,
“that powerful vested interests benefit from the Maoist insurgency”
and that “the financial nexus between politicians, businessmen and
Maoists thrives in a manufactured environment of lawlessness”. Are our
intelligence agencies aware of who these “politicians and businessmen”
are? Shouldn’t they be interrogated? Importantly, shouldn’t the
Congress Party which has been in power for the last six years and more
have given serious thought to what has been going on under its very
nose?

The usual charges are that the tribals have been deprived of their
forest lands, that they have been denied access to jobs and other
sources of living and that they have been denied access to education
and, by and large, have been largely ignored. Surely, all these
charges can be effectively met without having to take resort to
violence?

If the late Nanasaheb Deshmukh could work wonders in his own chosen
tribal field in Maharashtra, surely others, equally deeply committed,
can replicate his success? Is violence the only way to draw the
attention of the powers-that-be for the betterment of tribal life?

Several intellectual supporters of Naxalism have expressed their views
like Varavara Rao, activist Himanshu Kumar and another one of the kind
known as “Kishenji”. To being with, why does not the Government of
India ask them to submit detailed plans to help tribals? Surely that
is not too much to ask? Instead of attacking the Government for
establishing Salwa Judum– in the face of sustained violence, did the
Government have any other option? – can’t our intellectuals change
their mindset and provide the government with a well-thought out plan
to bring tribals into the mainstream of Indian life? Has anyone
prevented them from developing a positive outlook towards tribal
enrichment?

One gets the clear impression that some of our mentally-sick
intellectuals prefer to romanticise the concept of “revolutionary
terrorism”, rather than to take over the earthy task of working out
concrete proposals to enrich tribal life. It sounds terribly romantic
to wage war againsts the country in the name of tribal needs and the
blame lies entirely on the UPA government for its soft-kneed approach
towards every issue hurting the motherland.

This columnist has in the past suggested the setting up of a separate
Indian Tribal Service, parallel to the Indian Administrative Service
to serve exclusively in tribal areas, so that tribal needs and
requirements are identified – and fully met. Roads can be laid down.
Schools can be extablished. Medical attention can be provided. Jobs
within the tribal juridiction can be created and a rich and meaningful
life can be guaranteed to the tribal population. That is obviously not
what our revolutionaries want. They want glamour, publicity.

Our screwball intellectuals want to go back to the twenties and
thirties and plan revolution. They want to raise funds through
intimidation and blackmail, make secret arms purchases, transport them
under the very nose of the Police and bring death and destruction. The
very concept of an “armed revolution” is stupid in this day and age.
It invites administrative reaction during which many innocents would
inevitably get killed.

One activist, Himanshu Kumar is quoted as asking why, granting
Naxalism is a problem, that poor people are “attracted to politics
that will end in death”. The answer is obvious. The poor are told that
violence alone will solve their problem when violence does nothing of
that kind. It will only add to their prevailing misery. But how is one
to convince Naxalites that the prescription they offer is out of
fashion and today one has to turn to out-of-box solutions for known
problems?

One thing is obvious: the government of the day must undertake massive
public works and welfare schemes. Andhra Pradesh’s State Economic
Adviser Shri Somayajulu has been quoted as saying that economic
development and welfare schemes have transformed the Maoist scene in
his State to the point that Maoism has lost its attraction for once
unemployed youth. Maoist incidents in Andhra Pradesh fell from 576 in
2005 to 62 in 2009, Maoist killings from 211 to 17 and Police deaths
from 25 to zero. What was done in Andhra Pradesh can be duplicated in
Chattisgarh and Jharkhand.

But there, surely, are other ways to help tribal people earn a decent
livelihood like production of pappads to making of dolls which can be
marketed, not just in India but worldwide. And, at the administrative
level, there has to be a proliferation of government offices equipped
with the latest communication technology. But one thing is absolutely
a MUST. And that is to treat Maoists not as fellow citizens, but as
traitors and murderers. No mercy should be shown to them. Their
headquarters have to be bombed.

An organisation responsible for the killing of upwards of 6,000
innocent people from 1996 to 2009 has to be wiped out of the surface
of the earth. The UPA Government has come to be seen as ‘soft’ and one
which can easily be taken for a ride. Should there be another
Dantewada, then the country should demand the immediate resignation of
the UPA government.

Importantly the Maoists should get the message that there is a strong
government in Delhi which will not accept armed rebellion anywhere and
those who indulge in will have to pay a heavy price.

http://www.organiser.org/dynamic/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=342&page=9

2010 Issues > May 02, 2010

Pravasi Bharatiya

Hindu youth in Australia

A leadership inspiration bing

THE 1st Australian Hindu Youth Conference (AHYC) was hosted by Hindu
Youth Australia (HYA), the youth wing of Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP),
on April 10-11, 2010 at the University of Western Sydney, Parramatta
Campus.

The theme of the conference was “Developing Leadership amongst
Australian Hindu Youth”.

The event marked one year since the formation of HYA and served as a
platform for community spokesman, youth volunteers and keynote
speakers and various political leaders to drive leadership as the main
theme.

On the first day, the conference was graced by the presence of various
government officials who gave opening addresses: Hon. Laurie Ferguson
MP (Parliamentary Secretary for Multicultural Affairs & Settlement
Services), Mr Barry O’Farrell MP (NSW Leader of the Opposition), Clr
Paul Garrard (Lord Mayor of Parramatta).

Also present were Senator Concetta Fierravanti-Wells (Representing the
Federal Opposition Leader Tony Abbott) and Ms Julie Owens MP (Federal
member for Parramatta) and Mr Anthony Roberts MP (NSW Shadow Minister
for Citizenship, Shadow Minister for Volunteering and the Arts).

Officials from VHP included Swami Vigyanananda (Joint General Secretary
—International Coordination) as well as Brij Pal Singh (President of
VHP Australia).

Aboriginal Elder, Uncle Max Harrison blessed the conference and
welcomed all delegates to the land of Baramada (Parramatta – Head of
waters).

HYA spokesperson Krishna Ramarathinam then commenced the conference
with a statistical and demographic report on Hindus in Australia.
Krishna quoted that "Hindus have been an integral part of the
Australian community for the last 150 years" and this has been
acknowledged by Prime Minister Kevin Rudd in his message to delegates
of the AHYC.

Based on census data, Ramarathinam then continued to highlight the
phenomenal contributions of Hindus to the Australian society.

The conference was proudly supported by “The Australian Government's
Diverse Australia Programme Small Grants” issued by Federal Department
of Immigration and Mr Ferguson spoke about the significance of this
conference in promoting peace and cultural diversity.

Clr Garrard acknowledged the wonderful spirit in which the Australian
National Anthem was sung by the youth and provided valuable insights
into the need for leadership amongst youth.

O’Farrell was delighted to be at the conference and highlighted the
need for an alliance between Hindu culture and the Australian way of
life. He also inspired and encouraged all the youth to join political
parties.

National Co-ordinator Nikhil Rughani then delivered a succinct and
brilliant keynote address. He exposed the problems faced as a Hindu
student studying in a Catholic school and highlighted the need for a
Hindu community entity that the Hindu Australian youth can look to.

Rughani highlighted the contribution of Hindus to the wider community
and inspired the youth to build leadership skills by getting
involved.

In his address, Rughani raised the necessity for the establishment of
an Australian Hindu school, which he tentatively termed "Project
Saraswati".

More than 300 delegates witnessed a powerful and traditional Vedic
chanting performance displayed by the Sydney Veda Patasala group.

Established in 2008, the students from this Vedic school chanted these
hymns of wisdom with a strong sense of purpose and refinement to which
the audiences were enthralled.

National Youth Co-ordinator Pooja Sashi engaged the audience with an
inspiring and thought-provoking presentation on leadership qualities.

Sashi narrated several examples from her own life as an experienced
community leader, a dedicated teacher and an ardent volunteer of
various social and community organisations, to describe the positive
effects of leadership on society.

The following segment of the conference was the much awaited panel
discussion facilitated by Nikhil Rughani.

The panel saw a balance of representation from various government
representatives and community leaders: Ms Julie Owens MP, Hon Laurie
Ferguson MP, Senator Concetta Fierravanti-Wells, Chris McAlpine
(Capacity Planning from Parramatta City Council) as well as Ms Aparna
Vats (radio jockey and host of “Voice of India” radio talk show).

Senator Fierravanti-Wells and Ms. Owens agreed that organisations must
represent themselves as a united front to bring forward ideas.

Ms. Vats was instrumental in showing the media support to such
activities and McAlpine spoke of various council incentives in place
which were available to organisations such as HYA.

The feedback that HYA received from the conference suggested that such
panel discussions will be held more often.

A window into directly interacting with government officials was seen
as both practical and effective in getting the community's ideas onto
the bigger frame.

HYA is planning to hold the 2011 conference with a larger timeframe
for the panel discussion with many more government representatives.

The second day of the conference focused on personal development which
was greatly beneficial to the youth.

Arjun Nidigallu took centre stage and gave a brilliant presentation on
Hindu philosophy and its relevance to today’s youth.

While detailing various structural and application qualities of Hindu
philosophy, Nidigallu captured the audience with an inspirational
speech on the dynamic spirit of the youth.

He also mentioned that HYA will be holding regular seminars and
discussion groups in the future to further enrich the youth's
understanding of Hindu philosophy and civilisation.

Ms Pooja Sashi and Divesh Lal, the event managers of the conference,
held a short interactive forum on what the delegates would like to see
at the 2011 conference as well as what HYA plans to achieve in the
next 12 months.

A lightning talk from Ms Akanksha Khanna explained “Why HYA is not a
religious organisation”.

Ms Bhavana Satyamurthy gave a short presentation on the need for a
Hindu youth centre where events such as conferences, discussion
groups, seminars, cultural events, etc could be held.

Another forum was then held by Ms Thanvi Kuppanda and Rajan
Chandrasekaran in which audience members gave constructive feedback on
the various activities and presentations that were on display over the
two days.

The aim of the conference was to inspire, engage and enrich the youth
about Hindu Dharma and more importantly help them identify themselves
as Hindu Australians.

The conference was a huge success and the feedback received so far has
been positive and appreciative of all the efforts that volunteers have
put in.

More information will be available on HYA’s website: www.HinduYouthAustralia.com
over the next two weeks.

http://www.organiser.org/dynamic/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=342&page=11

2010 Issues > May 02, 2010

Religion

There is a conspiracy to defame Sanatan Dharma, warns Swami
Maheshwarananda
By RC Ganjoo in Haridwar

IT is well said that “A prophet is seldom honoured in his own
country.” It runs with Mahamandaleshwar Swami Maheshwarananda, who as
an ambassador for World Peace has been spreading teachings of Vedic
culture and Sanatan Dharma for the past four decades world over. His
system “Yoga in Daily Life” renowned worldwide is promoting healthy
way of living, the protection of environment, the peaceful coexistence
of all religions and nations, cultures and social systems through
tolerance, respect and understanding.

On 37th World Peace Tour in March 2009 from Europe travelling to USA,
he took part in discussions about the global economic crisis at the
headquarters of the United Nations in New York. His message there was
loud and clear that the solution to global problems is possible
through spirituality, Yoga and inner peace whilst living according to
the Vedic culture. Entire Europe, US, Canada, Australia, Austria and
Africa in addition to 185 countries have his Yoga centres functional.

Under World Peace Council registered with UN he has been propagating
the message of Mahatma Gandhi and Swami Madhavananda (his Guru). He
also organiges conferences in different countries every year under
this banner.

Interestingly, one of his Australian nationals who remained as a
committed disciple of Swamiji for the past 20 years learnt the
tradition of Vedic culture and Sanatam Dharma was bestowed upon the
title of Mahamandaleshwar of Maha Nirvani Akhara in March last in
Haridwar. He is rechristened as Mahamandaleshwar Swami Jasrajpuriji.
For giving this important position in the Hindu religion organisation
hierarchy to a foreign national, Australian government has expressed
its gratitude. Swami Maheshwara-nanda, 60, from Rupawas village under
Pali district of Rajasthan has dedicated his life to the service of
mankind at eight.

When asked about threat to his life or his mission, he said “First
time I received a threat from Australia from Christian Missionary. But
people understood Yoga in daily life and it was introduced into school
curriculum despite the threats from Catholic Church. In Croatia,
Bishops circulated hate letters against me in newspapers.” He has been
under constant threat from Catholic missionary. A threat letter he
received last year said, “We can eliminate you at any time and your
government can not do anything. Your government is a puppet.” About
the precaution he has taken he said “It is a sad part of the story
that when I approach Indian embassies they categorically refuse to
give me protection because they say I am not a politician.” During
Maha Kumbh Mela 2010 threat letter were received by police from Muslim
fundamentalist organisation to blast Marwah Railway station and his
Jardan Ashram, in Rajasthan. It appeared in local newspapers. “I am
not scared of death. Only worry is about my disciples who from abroad
frequently visit Jardan Ashram for Yoga courses,” he said.

Elaborating on the future of India, he said “India’s future is bright
and the best.” But what worries him “Indian are in darkness. They have
been in process of converting themselves into different religions. It
is a very dangerous trend that different people from different
religions are coming here and converting innocent and ignorant poor
people and poisoning them against their own religion they belong to.”
Supporting the mission of Baba Ramdev he said the message of Baba
Ramdev is very clear for the nation and protection of the Indian
culture.

Swami Maheshwarananda’s huge project called the “Om Vishwa Deep
Gurukul Swami Maheshwarananda Ashram Education & Research Centre in
the “OM” form in Jardan, Rajasthan which is near completion will be
dedicated to Sanatam Dharma and entire world culture without any
dualities. The main purpose of this Centre is to promote the ancient
Indian science of Yoga and the invaluable spiritual treasure of Vedic
culture. This ecologically managed “OM Ashram” can accommodate up to
500 Yoga students for education in Yoga, Sanskrit and philosophy.

http://www.organiser.org/dynamic/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=342&page=14