Harihareswara Rajyootsava Prashasti -1999

KrishKM

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99

My Dear Friend,
namaskAra!
Thanks for your good wishes and nice words about me
when the State Government of Karnataka announced confering
the Rajyootsava Prashasti for 1999 on me
for my humble work on Kannada for the last twenty-one years
outside Karnataka.

I had been to India to receive the Award on November 1, 1999, and returned
on the 18th night.
Here is a brief summary of events that followed the announcement:

1. Shri S M Krishna, the Chief Minister presented the prestigious award
in a well attended gala program in Ravindra Kalakshetra, with Smt Rani
Satisha, Minister for Kannada & Culture, Sri Chandrahasa Guptha & Sri
Muddukrishna of its Directorate present. While receiving it, I told the
audience: " I am receiving this on behalf of all Kannadigas living in
America & doing work on Kannada!"

I went and met a good number of dignitaries, Government Officials, variious
Academy Presidents, Kannada writers & others and told them what I knew
about "Vishwa Kannada Sammelana" & other subjects(such as Standardization
in Kannada Computerization) - during Nov 1st and Nov 7th.

2. I had a Felicitation (Abhinandana) Program arranged by Gayathri
Mandira, Kengeri, Bangalore on Sunday Nov 7th.
I spoke there in Kannada on the "Rennaisance of Religious Activities of
Indian Immigrants in the USA."
3. Kannada Writers living in Mysore City arranged a Felicitation
(Abhinandana) Program for me on Tuesday Nov 9th.
Dr S L Bhyrappa, Prof Raghavendra Bhat & M K Achutarao spoke on the
occasion attended by famous writers like A N Murthy Rao, HSK, Pradhan
Gurudatt, G H Nayak, Ra Vem Shri etc; publishers like Kayalaya, DVK Murthy,
etc, TS Satyan & others.
4. Friends of Neyveli Kannada Sangha (Mysore Branch) arranged an
Abhinandana Karyakrama on Wednesday, Nov 10th, evening.
5. On Friday Nov 12, Ms Shailaja Santhosh of Udaya TV interviewed me,
which program of about fortyfive minutes was boradcast on Nov 16th.
6. Saturday Nov 13th was a busy day. At 9:30 am, I was interviewed by
Prof NS Lakshminarayana Bhatta for United Cable Network TV.
7. Later at 11:30am, on that day, I interviewed Prof NSL Bhatta for the
same Cable Network in there studio, Gandhi Bazar, Bangalore.
8 At 2:00pm, the same day I was felicitated by Kannada Lekhakiyara Sangha
(Kannada Women Writers Association), Chamaraj Pet, Bangalore. I spoke on
the achievements of Kannada women writers living in the USA. Smts Nirupama,
T Sunandamma, HS Parvathi, Nagamani S Rao, Dr Prabhavathi, Dr Vijaya
Subbaraj, Banashankaramma, Shashikala Veeraswamy & others were present.
9. Later on that day, At 5:00pm, I addressed the Friends of Neyveli
Kannada Sangha (Bangalore Branch) in response to their felicitation
program, near Glass House, Lal Bagh.
10. Abhivyakthi (headed by Nagathihalli Chadrashekhar) arranged an
Abhinandana Program in "Suchitra" Film Society Auditorium at 10:30am, on
Sunday Nov 14th, Kannada Sahitya Parishat President, Sri Basavaradhya
presiding, and Editor of new " Nutana", Sri Santhoshkumar Gulvadi speaking.
Dr Vijaya Subbaraj analysed Hari's poems in her hour long speech. A good
number of well known Kannada writers (Dr HK Ranganath, Ms Jyotsna Kamath,
Garudan Giri Nagaraj (President Karnataka Patrika Academy), Ms Kulashekhari
& others graced the occasion.) I could meet a lot of my relatives there.
Lunch was served at the end.
11. On the same day, Sunday Nov 14th, at 6:00pm "Ramya Cultural Society"
arranged a felicitation program at Gokhale Institute premises., Prof G
Venkatasubbiah (former Pres. Kannada Sahitya Parishat) presiding. Well
known singer Sri Srinivasa Udupa's rendering of Hari's "Kritajnate" poem
was well received. Noted literary dignitaries present included: Prof KL
Sheshagiri Rao, Prof NSL Bhatta, Dr HS Venkatesha Murhty, C Ashwath, Dr
GSS, Nemichandra, Muddukrishna, Nittur Srinivasa Rao, Dr Suryanatha Kamath,
H L Pushpa, Prof Doddarange Gowda & others.
12. I was felicitated by Kannada Vijnana Parishat on Monday at 6:0 pm,
Nov 15th, in Hotel Athithya Lecture Hall. Padmashri Balakrishna, presided.
Soo Subrahmanyam & Pavagada Prakasharao spoke.
13. I travelled to Shimoga by night train on that Monday. Tuesday morning
while travelling from Shimoga to Bhadravathi, Kannada Prabha interviewed me
in the bus itself. At 11:330, Bhadravathi Akashavani (AIR) Station
interviwed me.
I returned to Shimoga the same evening.
14. Karnataka Sangha, Shimoga and "Aasakti" (Kannada Muslim Writers
Association, Shimoga) felicitated me in their combined programme at 6:00 pm
on Tuesday, Nov 16th. It was well attended. I could pay respects to all my
relatives and to those who helped me during my very difficult student
boyhood days, there. Panduranga Pres. Karnataka Sangha presided. Prof NSL
Bhatta & Mr Samir (of "Aasakti")spoke. Kannada writers in Shimoga attended
the program in good numbers.
15 Wednesday, Nov 17th. 7:30 am. Door Darshan of Bangalore interviewed
me. Ms Leelavathi Krishnamurthy of Neyveli Kannada Sangha was the
interviewer.
(This will be broadcast in the first week of December, itseems)
16. Wednesday, Nov 17th, 4:30 pm. I visited Rashtroththan Parishat,
Bangalore.
Spoke about Sri Raa Shivaram, noted Kannada writer of "ondu kathe-ondu
vyathe", "AtmAhuti" etc, who had passed away on that day morning, in the
"ShradhdhAnjali" program.
17. Wednessday, Nov 17th, 5:00pm. Udayabhanu Kala Sangha, Gavipura
(Kempegowda Nagara), Special Coaching Classes for Science Students. I spoke
to students at two class rooms, on the Importance of Discipline in a
Student's Life.
18. Wednesday, Nov 17th, 6:30 pm. Kannada Ganaka Parishat. Gokhale
Institute premises. I was the Chief Guest to release booklet on Kannada
Computerization as a part of thefelicitation program. Prof Kasturi
Rangachar & Srinatha shastri also spoke. Dr Chidananda Murthy ("Shakti
Kendra"), Prof Chandrashekhara Patil (Kannada Development Authority), and a
host of other writers & computer experts in Bangalore were present.
19. A large gathering of relatives & friends had assembled to send me off
on Wednesday, Nov 17th night. And, I left my brother's home at about 12:00
midnight 17th/18th to Bangalore International Airport.
20. While travelling, I tried to remember all those hundreds of people - my
relatives, my Gurus, and my friends- whom I met during these seventeen
days. Some of them, I had not met for as long as thirty years, and many of
them for the last five years. It was a thrilling experience to see them,
see India and to thank them all - them who helped me in achieving what
little I have been able to accomplish!

Sincerely,
-Harihareswara
(209)957-6825
8412 Fontenay Way,
Stockton, CA 95210-5237
===========

Sadashiva Bhat

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
Dear Sri Harihareshwara,

I am very curious to know some sort of biodata of your self. I am quite sure
that there may be many more ignorant people like me in USA and also
elsewhere...

Thank you in advance.

Sadashiva Bhat
701 Church street
Belmont NC 28012
(704)-825-3992

kala...@my-deja.com

Dec 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/5/99

>Dear Sri Harihareshwara,
>
> I am very curious to know some sort of biodata of your self. I am
quite sure
> that there may be many more ignorant people like me in USA and also
> elsewhere...
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Sadashiva Bhat

Greetings.
I have not had the privilege of
meeting Shri Harihareswara, but do
consider it an honor to introduce him:
(Info gathered from secondary sources
and is subject to correction ;-))

For the longest time in memory, Harihareswara
has been personified with efforts to
keep the Kannada flag flying in the U.S.A.

He has been a great patron of artists and
writers from Karnataka, arranging their
events, hosting them and running their errands.

An accomplished scholar himself, Mr. Harihareswara
has written several works in Kannada.

IMHO, his most important contribution was/is
the running of AmeriKannada, a periodical in
Kannada that he ran against all odds. I have
heard numerous stories of the difficulties
has had encountered in doing so. And friends,
this is much before the advent of www and
the popularity of the Internet.

The Kannada language has seen many great writers and poets
in our time; but very few true patrons (Ashrayadataru) of the
language and culture of the greatness of Shri
Harihareswara. I think the Karnataka Government
has done a credible thing by honoring him
with the Rajyotsava award.

-Vikas Kamat
Kamat's Potpourri
www.kamat.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Pavanaja U B

Dec 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/6/99
To read a criticism of Harihareshwara's poems, check out
http://www.indianlanguages.com/kannada/, click on current issue and then
on vimarshe on the left frame.

-Pavanaja

In article <82cra0$ve5$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

kala...@my-deja.com wrote:

> >Dear Sri Harihareshwara,
> >
> > I am very curious to know some sort of biodata of your self. I am
> quite sure
> > that there may be many more ignorant people like me in USA and also
> > elsewhere...
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
> >
> > Sadashiva Bhat

I don't worry about pselling mixtakes