Welcome to soc.culture.hmong

Paul Tallon

Nov 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/5/96

On behalf of Dr. Pao Saykao, who help draft this welcoming letter, I would
like to welcome you to the brand new soc.culture.hmong (SCHM)

As the proponent of the soc.culture.hmong, I like to thank all the people
around the world who have voted to support the creation of the schm. It is
timely that this forum has been created to focus on many of the Hmong issues
(1) with wide implications.

BACKGROUND

The Hmong have a rich and long history stretch back some 5000 years in
China. Over the centuries, the Hmong have been migrating from China and
they reached Laos, North Vietnam and Thailand in the early 1880's and they
have reached the four corners of the world since 1975.

In Laos, they have been actively participate in the building of the country
and they were involved on both side of politics during the Vietnam War
(2,3). When the Vietnamese War ended in 1975, about one third of the Hmong
in Laos found themselves on the wrong side and were forced to leave the
country with many of other Laotians (4). Since then, more than 100,000 of
them have been resettled in USA (5), Canada. France (6), South America,
Australia (7) and New Zealand. Over 100,000 remain in Laos.

Currently, there are probably close to 10 million Hmong with the bulk of the
population in China. North Vietnam has over 200,000 and Thailand with
60,000 plus a few thousands of the residual Hmong refugees (11). Hence the
Hmong is a scattered group of people whose history is driven by the desire
to be free and to remain together as a group. Now with the internet and
this newsgroup, the Hmong are once gain connected through cyberspace.

INTEREST IN THE HMONG

There has been a considerable interest in the Hmong since their resettlement
in the West (8,9,10). Many scholars from all fields find the Hmong to be a
fascinating group of people. Here is a group of Hmong who have telescoping
from a pre-illiterate society to a cyberspace society in a matters of less
that 20 years. Their history is fascinating. Their culture is quite unique
and provide a kaleidoscopic topic for anthropologist, medical scholars and
other social scientists. Their bright clothes and their unique handicraft
have cause a resurgence of interest in the Hmong arts across the globe
(13,14).

Their settlement in the West has provide and endless research topic for
social science. But it has been a concern to some governments.

In the last few years, the Hmong refugees issue has become a sensitive issue
(12)

RATIONALE FOR SOC.CULTURE.HMONG

The purpose of the newsgroup "soc.culture.hmong" is to provide a forum for
discussion on issues related to the Hmong generally. Presently, more and
more Hmong students and professionals and scholars and others who have
access to the Internet. This newsgroup will provide the main domain for
them to congregate, to learn, to share and to develop fellowship.

The "soc.culture.hmong" will an extension and complimentary to the
"soc.culture.laos" and all other existing discussion groups including the
Hmoob Ntsis Tshiab <hm...@listserv.oit.unc.edu>, Hmong Higher Education
Network <hhen-ca...@ucdavis.edu>, WWW Hmong <hmon...@stolaf.edu>,
Hmong Language User Group <sno...@ix.netcom.com> and Hmong Studies Journal
<vueb...@gold.tc.umn.edu> and Lao Global Network <lao...@zac.lao.net>.

SOC.CULTURE.HMONG CHARTER

All issues related to Hmong may be discussed in this forum. It is expected
that although this newsgroup will not be moderated, it will be a platform
for a lively discussion about the culture, politics and social issues
relating to Hmong at home and abroad. We welcome all
netters to learn more about people and culture.

THE VISION FOR THE FUTURE

Article Unavailable

dr...@lexicon.net.au

Nov 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/7/96

Welcome the Hmong into cyberspace!

As you can see, The Hmong have finally made into cyberspace. And on behalf all
the Hmong around the world I like to extend our welcome to this new and exciting
forum.

This is going to be a forum for all of us to meet, to share and to learn
from each other and to develop strong and lasting fellowship.

Lastly, I like to thank all the people around the world who have given strong
support for the creation of this newsgroup. Thanks each and every one of you!!

Have fun and meet you again very soon....

Pao Saykao
Melbourne, Australia.

This article was posted to Usenet via the Posting Service at Deja News:
http://www.dejanews.com/ [Search, Post, and Read Usenet News!]

Gary Miller

Nov 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/7/96
>The "soc.culture.hmong" will an extension anArticle Unavailable

mi hlub

Jul 5, 2015, 4:18:41 PM7/5/15
this group in google is not working FOR A FEW WEEKS now it will no allow me to read or post anymore. some time i can post but not read. error server time out.

mi hlub

Jul 9, 2015, 11:19:40 PM7/9/15
TSAM NO SCH MUAJ TEEB MEEM HAUV GOOGLE CES NEEG PLOJ TAS TSHUAV KUV 1 LEEG ZOV LAWM XWB. NEEG NKAG LOS HAUV NO 5 TAU HOS KUV NKAG TAU VIM KUV YOG MAJOR CS UAS TABTOM SOLVE TEJ TEEB MEEM NO NTAG. KUV TSHAWB2 DIG2 NA KUV POM TIAS STANDARD FILTER NKAG 5 TAU YUAV TAU PAUV FILTER CES NKAG LOS NYEEM THIAB POST YOOJ8.

mi hlub

Jul 13, 2015, 5:09:40 PM7/13/15
On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 10:19:40 PM UTC-5, mi hlub wrote:
> TSAM NO SCH MUAJ TEEB MEEM HAUV GOOGLE CES NEEG PLOJ TAS TSHUAV KUV 1 LEEG ZOV LAWM XWB. NEEG NKAG LOS HAUV NO 5 TAU HOS KUV NKAG TAU VIM KUV YOG MAJOR CS UAS TABTOM SOLVE TEJ TEEB MEEM NO NTAG. KUV TSHAWB2 DIG2 NA KUV POM TIAS STANDARD FILTER NKAG 5 TAU YUAV TAU PAUV FILTER CES NKAG LOS NYEEM THIAB POST YOOJ8.

HNUB NO ZOO HNUB SCH ROV UA NUM HAUV GOOGLE NO LAWM. NO FILTER IS NEEDED ANYMORE. OHYEAH.. SING Q!

traversoju...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2019, 7:28:12 AM7/15/19
Yog koj ntseeg kuv, kuv xav muab nyiaj rau koj

Koj tuaj yeem tiv tauj kuv tsis muaj teeb meem
Nyob zoo rau txhua tus pej xeem uas xav tau ib qho nyiaj qiv, tom qab kuv yog qiv nyiaj, kuv tsis muaj leej twg ntxias, kuv tsis nyiag leej twg, koj tso siab tau, Kuv yog ib tug neeg ncaj ncees, yog tias muaj xav tau ib daim ntawv qiv, koj tuaj yeem hu tau rau kuv sau npe Thov hu tuaj rau kuv tham kom kuv to taub tias koj muaj cov taw tes rau hauv koj tus as-qhauj hauv bank account rau: Senec! WhatsApp: +421904987327, e-mail: traversoju...@gmail.com
tsis muaj teeb meem kuv nyob ntawm no los pab koj

DownUnder

Jul 31, 2019, 9:01:30 AM7/31/19
Still breathing!!