$14B French-Based NUCLEAR FUSION PROJECT, ITER.

HenryDavidT

Feb 21, 2016, 12:57:55 AM2/21/16
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/14-billion-machine-set-usher-212818366.html

The first and largest machine of its kind is currently under construction at the French scientific research center called Cadarache, which specializes in nuclear power research.

It's called ITER, Latin for "The Way," and is expected to usher in a new era of nuclear fusion-powered electricity — something scientists and engineers have been working toward for over 40 years.

By fusing two forms of hydrogen, called deuterium and tritium, together, the machine would generate 500 megawatts of power. That's ten times more energy than it would require to operate.

Once completed, ITER would measure 100 feet in diameter and height, representing a new breed of nuclear fusion device. If it reaches its energy output goals, it will be the first machine of its kind to bridge the gap from fusion research in the lab to readily available fusion power for cities.

As of June 2015, construction costs for the machine exceeded $14 billion. But, in the end, experts say it will be worth it. After all, nuclear fusion is the process that powers stars like our Sun and offers a number of advantages to current energy sources if we can harness that power here on Earth:

Fusion generates non-radioactive waste that can be completely recycled within 100 years, unlike the toxic radioactive residue that today's nuclear fission reactors produce.

There's no chance of a runaway reaction because any malfunction would halt the fusion process, meaning that fusion reactors don't run the risk of a nuclear meltdown.

It's a clean source of energy compared to coal, natural gas, and crude oil.

Fusion reactors can run on seawater, offering a relatively renewable source of energy.

++++++++++++++

On DEUTERIUM (one electron, one neutron, one proton) and TRITIUM --- the two forms (or "isotopes") of HYDROGEN ATOMS --- that the nuclear fusion "machine" will work with, in "fusion," to produce the energy to be used...

Tritium figures prominently in studies of nuclear fusion because of its favorable reaction cross section and the large amount of energy (17.6 MeV) produced through its reaction with deuterium:

3
1T + 2
1D → 4
2He + n

++++++++++++++++++++++
(((... You could see the chemical/more like nuclear equation above here DOWN BELOW, in a better construction, in the TRITIUM wiki page... basically, what it said is, Hydrogen-3, aka "Tritium" + Hydrogen-2, aka "Deuterium," = Helium-4, plus a "neutron," as the by-product. For those of us who are not "experts" who work on an hourly basis with the ELEMENTS, use the third link below, under the Deuterium and Tritium pages, or the PTABLE page, to help you understand the various isotopes of the various ELEMENTs...)))

All atomic nuclei, being composed of protons and neutrons, repel one another because of their positive charge.

However, if the atoms have a high enough temperature and pressure (for example, in the core of the Sun), then their random motions can overcome such electrical repulsion (called the Coulomb force), and they can come close enough for the strong nuclear force to take effect, fusing them into heavier atoms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deuterium

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritium

http://www.ptable.com/

BTW, France could have built a giant, USS Ford-class nuclear aircraft carrier, for the same $14B.

I guess the French ain't the brightest folks on Earth, since they elected to build a NUCLEAR FUSION to generate electricity, while we plow ahead with multiple $14B giant nuclear aircraft carriers that could carry up to 100 aircraft, including fighter jets, so we could beat the crap out of everyone who doesn't bow to us mighty Americans.... and my hero, Donald Trump, says he's BUILD MORE of these HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE ships... so everyone would be so scared of us, they'd never piss us off, much less harm us in any way....