Hmong Traditional Music: Who Was This Singer?

HenryDavidT

Apr 24, 2015, 11:42:03 PM4/24/15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21ElpSlbkJA

Who was, or is, the singer of this traditional song?

The singing was actually exquisitely done, albeit very traditional, from the 1960s and 70s rhythms...

What I am incredibly impressed by, however, was/is her ability to hold her breath incredibly long... and to sing continuously like she did, without struggling and doing the loud inhalation that we usually hear, when amateur singers try to sing long notes and have to take a very quick and very big volume of oxygen.... and she would do that from one very long, haunting note to the next, which is also very long, stretched-out notes, plus longer and soulful inflections....

Is it possible that they actually edited in the various chunks?

I TRIED --- holding my breath --- and I can't do it; I bet most of you can't do it, either. I am not talking not being able to sing; I am merely talking about holding your breath, from one verse, plus longer inflection at the end of the last note, to the next verse, PLUS ANOTHER LONG & SOULFUL INFLECTION... and then she continued on without taking a break to breath!

I don't have asthmas, or having breaking difficulty; in fact, I have been very healthy all my life and had been a good swimmer and could hold my breath for very long stretches of time... Yet, again, this young woman singer's ability to sing without any trace of struggle, from one long, winding, and soulful verse and note, to another.... quite something to be hold...

I know, good professional singers DO TRAIN themselves to hold extraordinarily big and very long breaths; and when they inhale and exhale, to get oxygen-depleted out or to get oxygen-rich air in, they do it very quietly, without the gushing sound (especially the typical INHALATION) that we usually year young and inexperienced singers do...

But, again, this young woman singer's ability really actually caught my attention...

Who is, was, she?

HenryDavidT

Apr 24, 2015, 11:45:27 PM4/24/15

> I don't have asthmas, or having breaking difficulty; in fact, I have been

+++++++++++

Sorry, that should have been: I don't have ASTHMA and don't have BREATHING difficulty...

AEON

Apr 25, 2015, 10:36:28 PM4/25/15
ENVIRONMENT IS A BIG FACTOR in human VOICE. THE daily job is also another factor effecting VOICE. IJN THE SAME LOCATION singer A keeps sing screaming 8+ hours a day and singer B just started a few day ago SURELY SINGER B will NOT be a MATCH in term of VOICE QUALITY. I CAN TELL the different when I TRIED TO JOIN A GROUP OF RELATIVES to learn ZAJ TSHOOB & TXIV XAIV. INITIALLY I WAS SO BAD. BUT AFTER A FEW MONTHS OS SINGING I CAN TELL THE DIFFERENT.

SONG & KWV TXHIAJ ARE SIMILAR. A G HMONG IN THE SAME VILLAGW USUALLY GOT THE SAME TYPE OF SAME VOICE QUALITY. FOR EXAMPLE cov HMOOB NYOB HAUMVAJSAB lub suab kwv txhiaj yeej NROV NTXIM NYIAM 1 tug NRHOV2 SAB NTAWD YOG TEB LAUJ. TXOG 30 KOJ MUS NC NTAWD KOJ YUAV PAUB LAWV SUAB ZOO TUG XWS TUG.

AEON

Apr 26, 2015, 11:06:53 AM4/26/15
On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 10:42:03 PM UTC-5, HenryDavidT wrote:
tus no pa ntev tiag ov hu tas 1 SOB TSIS UA PA CIA HU SOB 2 NCAJ NRAIM 5 NRES. HEEV TIAG.

AEON

Apr 26, 2015, 11:14:17 AM4/26/15
On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 10:42:03 PM UTC-5, HenryDavidT wrote:
i have to SEE in live performance to trust her voice because i used to be AN AUDIO EDITOR and I KNOW BREATHING CAN BE ELIMINATED EZ WITH THESE NEW AUDIO EDITOR. THE EDITOR CAN ADD A LITTLE HERE AND THERE TO MAKE THE SINGER'S VOICE BETTER THAN GOLD.

HenryDavidT

Apr 26, 2015, 10:21:11 PM4/26/15

> i have to SEE in live performance to trust her voice because i used to be AN AUDIO EDITOR and I KNOW BREATHING CAN BE ELIMINATED EZ WITH THESE NEW AUDIO EDITOR. THE EDITOR CAN ADD A LITTLE HERE AND THERE TO MAKE THE SINGER'S VOICE BETTER THAN GOLD.

++++++++++++++++++++

That's what I tongue-in-cheekly suggested. That they did some EDITING with the song and either digitally took out the inhalation sounds... or stitched together different chunks.... both of which, of course, required expensive equipment and editing skills...

So, anyway, OCAM'S RAZOR says that if it is not necessary to introduce additional variables to explain something, stick with the most rudimentary or initial variables... and those initial/rudimentary variables say that the singer is just a talented singer who has perfected her singing craft...

So, again, I am very impressed with her ability to sing the way she did... where she could continue from one stanza, or verse ---- AFTER MANY 1970s slow, groovy notes in each of the sentences, ending with a really drawn-out, soulful INFLECTION ---- right on to the next slow stanza/verse... ending with another long, soulful, drawn-out, INFLECTED last note... only to continue on to the next line, of slow notes, and so on and so forth.

Anyway, I just found out it was by peb ib tug ntxhais Hmoob Lauj, ua ua Zuag Lauj.

And in order to truly appreciate what I am talking about ---- in peb tus Ntxhais Zuag Lauj's trained singing ability ---- here, listen to XANAKEE's singer (I don't know her name... only that I thought she HAD the best voice in Hmong musicology, from the old days in the 1980s/90s)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7tqe2UbUJY

Notice how she quickly INHALE a large volume of air, creating that HUGE, gushing-air-noise, after her last and long inflected note.... and continuing on to the next sentence?

And notice, in contrast, how ABSOLUTELY QUIET Zuag is, even after very long individual words... ending with a REALLY LONG INFLECTED last word... and then she simply started picking up the next sentence, in slow groovy fashion, ending, again, with a really, really soulful and long and inflected LAST WORD... only to start with the next line... without that HUGE, GUSHING AIR INHALATION that you hear in Xanakee's girl?

I like Xanakee's singing woman's VOICE a lot; in fact, this is my favorite song from their band, from France, from those days.... but she LACKED the more professional breathing and singing training --- or natural ability --- that some of today's younger Hmong singers have.

Then, peb muaj another ntxhais Hmoob Lauj, Hnub Lauj... she sings exactly like Zuag Lauj, too... without us ever hearing her GUSHING INHALATION sound.... so it must be that the young singers these days DO TRAIN themselves to sing like this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7tqe2UbUJY

Hnub Lauj and Zuag Lauj both have very exceptional singing voices.

Personally I prefer Hnub's voice to Zuag's... on just voice alone. (Of course, again, on pure voice along --- not singing ability but voice quality alone --- XANAKEE's girl had the best voice.)

But Zuag Lauj seems to have a better trained voice.... with a lower pitch to it... so she could sing high or low, whereas Hnub's voice seems to be mostly only very high pitch... almost like Maiv Moua from the late 1980s and early 1990s... a good singer but one with an incredibly high pitched voice... almost lime the mini-mouse character from TV we used to watch in the late 1970s...

AEON

Apr 27, 2015, 8:42:19 AM4/27/15
THAT last LINK was ANOTHER VINAI time that I could NOT AFFORD a tap player so ALL TO HEAR IT WAS FROM FRIENDS and RELATIVES. YEP she got the VOICE WORTH A TAPE. I THINK SHE IS A LEE. I'M GUESSING ONLY.