Hmong brothers win screenwriting award

cwjmem

Oct 21, 2011, 7:23:58 PM10/21/11
Well DONE!

http://www.fresnobee.com/2011/10/20/2584903/fresno-state-grads-among-screenwriting.html

Fresno State grads win screenwriting award

The Vang brothers knew they had a story that hadn't been told on film
before. After working for three years on their screenplay about a
topic that many in Fresno know about but with which few in the U.S.
are familiar – the CIA's "secret war" against communism in Laos – Abel
and Burlee Vang felt pretty confident when entering a prestigious
screenwriting competition sponsored by Academy of Motion Pictures Arts
and Sciences.

But when there are 6,730 entries, you can't take anything for granted.

The brothers, both graduates of Edison High School and California
State University, Fresno, learned this week they're one of five
winners of the Academy's 2011 Nicholl Screenwriting Fellowships.

The honor comes with a $30,000 stipend to be used for writing their
next screenplay. But most important in the hyper-competitive world of
Hollywood, it comes with buzz.

"We've been bombarded with emails and phone calls from agents and
managers," Abel Vang says.

The brothers will be treated beginning Oct. 29 to a week-long flurry
of seminars, meetings with Academy members and a gala dinner.

Their winning screenplay, titled "The Tiger's Child," is about a 12-
year-old in Laos whose father is conscripted by the CIA. When the
father dies, the boy must decide whether to become a solider himself
in order to provide for him and his brother.

"We knew this story was very different and unique in terms of the
genre and the characters," Abel Vang says. "We knew there weren't many
stories out there written like this one."

Burlee Vang, 29, has a bachelor's degree from UC Davis in creative
writing and art. He went on to receive a MFA in creative writing at
Fresno State.

Abel Vang, 27, earned his bachelor's degree in biology from Fresno
State. He went on to get an MFA at the University of Southern
California in cinema and television production.

Their next screenplay will likely have a non-Hmong theme. They already
have some ideas, including two thrillers and one with a superhero
theme.

But one thing's for sure: Their visibility in the business has
skyrocketed.

As they prepare for a week of schmoozing with Academy bigwigs, will
they be doing some clothes shopping?

"We talked about that," Abel Vang says with a laugh. "We'd better go
out and get some sport coats. Probably tomorrow we'll be at the mall
somewhere."

Xavzoo

Oct 21, 2011, 8:26:38 PM10/21/11
On Oct 21, 6:23 pm, cwjmem <cwj...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Well DONE!
>
> http://www.fresnobee.com/2011/10/20/2584903/fresno-state-grads-among-...
Cwj,

Thanks for sharing!

X Z

All4One

Oct 24, 2011, 9:37:32 AM10/24/11
Thanks for sharing....sounded like they're going to make it into the
BIG screen?

jim