html expert please help me.

idonotknow

Oct 5, 2011, 10:43:03 PM10/5/11
I'm begging you all html expert out there. i'm truely in need of a solution in html code to guide me through a little project i'm trying to help kids and myself to do some writing faster. here is my little idea that i need to resolve.

1. i need a web page in two sections
2. section 1 contain a PICTURE of character. for example picture of a big character A
3. section two is a text entry field free to input any thing from keyboard.
4. the main issue for me. if i click on the picture A in section 1 i want to show the text character of A in the entry filed at section 2.

as a comp. science graduate i think it should not be too hard. initially i was trying to do this little project in C, C++ or any visual programming tool. but after awhile of thinking i say to myself Y doing it in any other programming language when html is exactly for click and text. i used to write web pages as complex as an online store, therefore i was thinking it can be done not too hard. after banging my head on it for a few days now i'm still stuck hard as rock out of idea to try so i beg you to point me to the right way to resolve my little project. in html i can link to picture to a page,anchor or another section of the page. BUT how do i link to input a text character into an entry form on that same page.

it's not simple as i was thinking.

--idonot know

kwvtijhmoob

Oct 6, 2011, 11:38:54 AM10/6/11
On Oct 5, 9:43 pm, idonotknow <mih...@gmail.com> wrote:

bro-- i have my own problem and really need help too. my department
where i work has me to build a webpage using MS SharePoint. unlike
you, i am a computer illiterate. the only reason they gave this
project to me is simply because they said i can do it by playing with
it, just like our hmong way of doing things. you know i mean. we
hmong people usually do things just by playing with it without reading
any instructions or taking class.

if any of you know MS SharePoint, please help me too.

vimhlub

Oct 6, 2011, 12:12:51 PM10/6/11
Have you thought about using framesets? Example:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Alphabets</TITLE>
</HEAD>

<FRAMESET COLS="20%,*" BORDER=0>
<FRAME SRC="alphabetbar.html" NAME=SIDEBAR SCROLLING=NO>
<FRAME SRC="textside.html" NAME=TEXTSIDE>
</FRAMESET>

</HTML>

Per the script above, you will have a total of 3 documents in your
folder:

1. index.html
2. alphabetbar.html
3. textside.html

The index.html act as your container for the 2 framesets (indicated
above as SIDEBAR and TEXTSIDE).

Your PICTURE or "section 1" will be displayed in the
'alphabetbar.html' and your "free entry" or "section 2)" will be
displayed in the 'textside.html'.

Hyperlink your PICTURE in alphabetbar.html to the textside.html. Make
sure the target frame is TEXTSIDE.

Try it and let us know if it works. Good luck.

idonotknow

Oct 6, 2011, 12:47:48 PM10/6/11
vimhlub,

thanks for taking the time to look at my request for help. looking at the suggestion and code you posted it looks like it solved the part where the page need to have two sections. However my main issue remain how do i click on the picture on the alphabar and a text character is input into the textside. for example if the vsitor click on the picture A then an A should popout on the textside. another click on picture B then character "AB" should appear on textside. basically it would work like an onscreen keyboard where instead of pressing the key at the keyboard to enter character the user could just use the mouse to click the characters needed. if the system is bugged with keylogger to track the user's username/password for their bank this simple onscreen key entry will bypass the key logger which it track/log every key pressed. a simple kid's play data input like this could turn into a security guard against any intrusion by using key logger.

again thanks.

--idonotknow

cwjmem

Oct 6, 2011, 1:19:49 PM10/6/11
COPY TYPE FOLLOWING HTML CODE TO YOUR WORD PROCESSOR (WIN 7), START
TYPING. WHEN YOU DONE, SAVE ITS EXTENSION AS .HTML. TRY IT. THE
BEST WAY TO CREATE A WEB PAGE IS TO USE DREAMWEAVER SOFTWARE.

<head>
<title>TYPE YOU TITTLE HERE</title>
charset=iso-8859-1">
</head>

TYPE WHAT YOU WANNA SAY IN YOUR PARAGRAPH

vimhlub

Oct 6, 2011, 2:40:21 PM10/6/11
Try the following:

<head>
<script type="text/javascript">
function addText(text){
document.getElementById('foo').value += text;
}
</script>
<form>
<textarea id="foo"></textarea>
</form>
area.</a><br>
area.</a>

vimhlub

Oct 6, 2011, 1:57:23 PM10/6/11
OK. I see you're trying to bypass the keyboard.

Copy and past the following script. This might be just what you're
looking for:

idonotknow

Oct 6, 2011, 6:14:40 PM10/6/11
vimhlub,

from your script and html code posted i was able to input text charact by mouse click. that was awesome, but i ran into another issue:following your code example the text input alway add to the end of the text field instead of insert that character to the current cursor location. now is there a way to input the char to the current cursor location instead of adding to the end.

thanks

--idonotknow

idonotknow

Oct 6, 2011, 6:02:07 PM10/6/11
vimhlub,

your code example above is very likely what i need. the exact need is to input a text caracter into a text field which it seems as your code did that exactly by clicking on a link and a character is input into the text field.

much thanks to you vimhlub.

--idonotknow