Greatest Song Written About War & Its Consequences

1 view

Her Lao

Oct 10, 2011, 6:44:08 PM10/10/11
I've not done the research but sometime back I came across someone
sayng Dire Straits (Mark Knopfler, the great guitarist) wrote this
song about the Falkland Island campaign when England sent down a fleet
of her majestic war fighting machines to subdue the Argentines when
those upstarts down there wanted to retake the Falkland Islands back
from England....

Again, I don't know if that's the genesis of this song... no matter,
it is the greatest songs about War and its tragic consequences in
modern musicology... And I believe most, not all but most, of the
pictures shown were from/about the SE Asian War; tragic for both us
the Natives there --- on both sides of the conflict --- who had to
bear the brunt of the consequences but also tragic for hundreds of
thousands of American men and women who fought there, with over 50K
dying there for, really, no particular reason, in the larger scheme of
things..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGpwKQo5_Z0&feature=related

I notice that a few of those black and white pictures came out of
Laos, and they seemed to be Hmong Lao: one with a man crouching,
holding an old 1960s M16, and a baby on his back; another one was
where journalist Tony Britley of Al Jazeera rendezvous with a village
of Hmong, living in the wild, on the run.... many of who seemed to
fell down on their knees, impromptu, asking him to help them; and
another picture of an old man hugging some sort of a 1940s, .22
caliber rifle (like my father used to own).

If you don't know about Al Jazeera's Tony Birtley's reporting
credentials, and what he does as a resporter, take a look at one of
his latest reporting... from the tragic situation in Libya, like the
sad situation in Laos in the 1960s and 70s, where Lao and Hmong
brothers, on two sides, killing each other without mercy.... like
these Libyans right now.... This guys goes places you and I won't
dare, or won't want, to go.... from the jungle of Laos to the desert
of the Middle East, just to do a few minutes of reporting.....

http://aljazeera.com/

Click on the 2 minute clips with the sadly smiling Libyans flashing a
victory sign, holding his old Russian made AK47....

KC

Oct 11, 2011, 2:02:34 PM10/11/11
On Oct 10, 5:44 pm, Her Lao <hlao1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGpwKQo5_Z0&feature=related