Education: Close to 50% Hmong Americans Don't Have High School Education

HenryDavidT

Apr 11, 2016, 7:02:54 PM4/11/16
Having worked with some of the very poor --- in 3 states: CA, NC, and MN --- as well as some of the very rich in a private high school that costs as much as going to the University of California, and having tutored MOSTLY students from several middle and high schools from affluent families for 9 years in the Twin Cities,........, I never understand why Hmong parents, on average, spend so minimal a time on... and so little resources towards their children.... especially if they're going to have so many of them...

The focus on "quantity" (having as many children as you can, while you're still young and hope some will become successful), as opposed to focusing on "quality" (having the least and investing maximum on their education and nuturing), I think, is the wrong approach to life and living, for Hmong. It is not good for the Hmong community and it is not good for the planet, although most Hmong, I am certain, would vehemently disagree with me on those points...

http://blogs.voanews.com/all-about-america/2016/04/11/why-asian-americans-are-the-most-educated-group-in-america/

Asian Americans are the highest-earning and fastest-growing racial group in the United States.

They're also the best educated, as new numbers released by the U.S. Census Bureau demonstrate.

More than half of Asians in the United States, 54 percent, have at least a bachelor's degree. That's up from 38 percent in 1995. It's an impressive number, especially when compared to the 33 percent college-graduation rate for the total U.S. population.

These kinds of statistics have resulted in Asian Americans being dubbed the "model minority". Lumping all Asian Americans into one group contributes to the stereotype that all Asian Americans are highly educated.

A 2010 report focusing on Asians in California -- a state with the highest U.S. Asian population outside of Hawaii -- found that expectation to be false.

In California, for example, 45 percent of Hmong, 40 percent of Cambodians and Laotians, and one-fifth of Fijians had less than a high school education. The report also found that 20 percent of Pacific Islanders in the state eventually drop out of high school.