Education: Yearly Ranking of World's "Top" Universities, 2016

HenryDavidT

Aug 15, 2016, 5:19:14 AM8/15/16
http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2016.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/15/chinese-universities-break-into-top-100-global-index-for-first-time

China's two most prestigious national universities, Tsinghua and Peking, broke into the top 100 for the first time...

As you could see, 8 of the top 10 are American universities, with the other two being British.

And 15 of the top 20 are Americans.

That is why, despite all the "educational problems" we have, the world's truly "best and brightest" still dream of coming to America to get their college education, from the BA to the PhD and MD levels...

HenryDavidT

Aug 15, 2016, 7:26:19 AM8/15/16
http://www.ozy.com/fast-forward/japans-2018-problem-its-universities-are-a-ticking-time-bomb/70410

So, it seems that "traditional" Japanese education is less and less attractive, even to Japanese youth, and somehow they must find more innovative teaching techniques. In addition, more and more young Japanese want to speak foreign languages, with English being the top draw.

My little brother has been teaching in Japan the last 10 years, and he was just here to see his elderly mother two weeks back, and I had some interesting conversations with him. He met up with another Hmong American, from the Mid West, who's also teaching English in Japan who's married to a Japanese wife, with a kid, my brother said...

Well, this is your chance, for you young folks who are about to graduate from college, or who've just graduated and are not sure what to do with your life. Go travel around the world... and teaching English to Japanese is one of the viable ways.

The Japanese are dying off, slowly, and yet they still make it extremely difficult when it comes to accepting immigrants and foreigners; but I think if you have skills they need --- and English is one most Japanese youth know they must have, if they're to escape Japan, to travel the world, especially the West --- they will accept you.

My brother, who grew up in the 1990s and 2000's was crazy when it came to Japanese anime, so he actually mastered the Japanese language and he is pretty fluent in it, after 10 years living in Japan...

You young Hmong need to expand your horizon, and travel. Don't just settle for a wife or husband, as other Hmong expect of you, as they expected of all Hmong for endless generations... Travel across America, to to Europe, to to Asia, go to Africa and South America... see the world... living means more than doing what your small, in-ward-looking clan and community always tell you... living means being yourself and being independent of others, in living and in thoughts.

Look at life and living and people and the world from a different perspective beyond the one you're brought up in, which is to marry, produce offspring, work til you die, and then that's it... without serious time to live life and to reflect on life, and to understand larger forces and events that pertain to humanity as a whole and the world and the universe....