Zaj Tshoob, Txiv Xaiv, Paj Lug, etc...

main...@my-deja.com

Jun 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/28/00
Hello, fellow Hmong,

If any of you would like to have recorded cassettes of zaj tshoob and
other Hmong oral arts, please email me. July 4th is coming and I know
that an expert mejkoob in St. Paul has recently recorded most of his
knowledge in the hopes of passing it on to the next generation of Hmong
youths who would like to learn. This man is a regarded expert and those
of you who live in St. Paul will know him. His name is Nkaj Huas Yaj.
Some of you may recognize his name as he's been cited as a cultural
consultant for Dr. Yang Dao and other Hmong scholars. He is extremely
knowledgeable in Hmong traditional rituals. He has a series of 5 90
minute cassettes. These are as below.

1. Zaj Tshoob Txhiaj Txhais
2. Txiv Xaiv Foom Lus Suav (All in Chinese so youths won't know what is
being said, but if you live in St. Paul, and really want to know and
learn I'm sure he's willing to spend time with you)
3.Txiv Xwm Kab/ Tsav Txheej Meej
4. Tsheej Xwm Hmoob (I have no idea what this is)
5. Paj Lug & Nrhiav Lug

Again, I'm going up to St. Paul in a few days and for those of you who
are visiting the region for the 4th tournament and would like to obtain
these recordings, you can contact me via email.

Mai Na

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

tommy...@my-deja.com

Jun 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/28/00
In article <8jbt9q$gso$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

I take it it's not for free? :) I like to get a hold of these tapes, if
it's within my reach.

Nkauj Hli

Jun 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/28/00
I'm really intersted by those ... Maiv Nas ... How should I do? Nkauj
Hli.

main...@my-deja.com

Jun 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/28/00
Tommy, Nkauj Hli, and others who have emailed, I will call Nkaj Huas
tonight to see if he can bring the cassettes to the field. That's
probably the easiest way. For those far away and not attending the 4th
tournament, shipping won't be a problem.

Tommy, as you know, books are very expensive. Jane Hamilton-Merritt's
_Tragic Mountains_ costs about $45.00. Compared to these kinds of books
and given the level of expertise of the person who spent his whole life
learning and acquiring these oral arts, the cost of these cassettes are
reasonable. Also, remember that we have many experts in our midst, but
each expert is regarded for his distinctiveness and style. It is like
singing kwv txhiaj, right? Individuality counts, and I can assure you
that this man's singing technique (voice, intonation, etc) is highly
regarded by Hmong who know him. Those people from the Naj Mub, Xieng
Khouang area probably already know him by reputation. I, of course, have
no idea about these things and cannot give you my personal assessment.

In addition, unlike book scholars, Nkauj Huas is accessible and anyone
who is really interested in further learning after listening to his
cassettes can personally seek him out for explanations, clarifications,
translations, etc. For me, my main interested lays in his personal
history more than the contents of these cassettes so after listening to
a few sections (I have not heard them all--too much to absorb in one
sitting), I would inquire about how he began learning these things,
difficulties he encountered, memorization techniques he used, his
opinions about retaining such arts in Hmong society, what meaning these
sayings hold for him, what meaning these things should hold for future
Hmong generations, etc.

More later...

main...@my-deja.com

Jun 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/29/00
Ok, for those who want Nkaj Huas's cassettes, please come to the tennis
court area and ask for Xub Yaj. The tennis players will know who he is.
Xub will bring the cassettes, a set of 5. Xub will be at the tennis
court off and on throughout the day, but he says he'll definitely be
there between 1:00pm-2:00pm on both days to specifically attend to
anyone who wants these cassettes.

needledust...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2012, 4:17:46 PM6/15/12
On Wednesday, June 28, 2000 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:
> Hello, fellow Hmong,
>
> If any of you would like to have recorded cassettes of zaj tshoob and
> other Hmong oral arts, please email me. July 4th is coming and I know
> that an expert mejkoob in St. Paul has recently recorded most of his
> knowledge in the hopes of passing it on to the next generation of Hmong
> youths who would like to learn. This man is a regarded expert and those
> of you who live in St. Paul will know him. His name is Nkaj Huas Yaj.
> Some of you may recognize his name as he's been cited as a cultural
> consultant for Dr. Yang Dao and other Hmong scholars. He is extremely
> knowledgeable in Hmong traditional rituals. He has a series of 5 90
> minute cassettes. These are as below.
>
> 1. Zaj Tshoob Txhiaj Txhais
> 2. Txiv Xaiv Foom Lus Suav (All in Chinese so youths won't know what is
> being said, but if you live in St. Paul, and really want to know and
> learn I'm sure he's willing to spend time with you)
> 3.Txiv Xwm Kab/ Tsav Txheej Meej
> 4. Tsheej Xwm Hmoob (I have no idea what this is)
> 5. Paj Lug & Nrhiav Lug
>
> Again, I'm going up to St. Paul in a few days and for those of you who
> are visiting the region for the 4th tournament and would like to obtain
> these recordings, you can contact me via email.
>
> Mai Na
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

On Wednesday, June 28, 2000 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:
> Hello, fellow Hmong,
>
> If any of you would like to have recorded cassettes of zaj tshoob and
> other Hmong oral arts, please email me. July 4th is coming and I know
> that an expert mejkoob in St. Paul has recently recorded most of his
> knowledge in the hopes of passing it on to the next generation of Hmong
> youths who would like to learn. This man is a regarded expert and those
> of you who live in St. Paul will know him. His name is Nkaj Huas Yaj.
> Some of you may recognize his name as he's been cited as a cultural
> consultant for Dr. Yang Dao and other Hmong scholars. He is extremely
> knowledgeable in Hmong traditional rituals. He has a series of 5 90
> minute cassettes. These are as below.
>
> 1. Zaj Tshoob Txhiaj Txhais
> 2. Txiv Xaiv Foom Lus Suav (All in Chinese so youths won't know what is
> being said, but if you live in St. Paul, and really want to know and
> learn I'm sure he's willing to spend time with you)
> 3.Txiv Xwm Kab/ Tsav Txheej Meej
> 4. Tsheej Xwm Hmoob (I have no idea what this is)
> 5. Paj Lug & Nrhiav Lug
>
> Again, I'm going up to St. Paul in a few days and for those of you who
> are visiting the region for the 4th tournament and would like to obtain
> these recordings, you can contact me via email.

Hmong-Lao

Jun 15, 2012, 4:43:41 PM6/15/12
On Jun 15, 3:17 pm, needledustproducti...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 28, 2000 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:
> > Hello, fellow Hmong,
>
> > If any of you would like to have recorded cassettes of zaj tshoob and
> > other Hmong oral arts, please email me. July 4th is coming and I know
> > that an expert mejkoob in St. Paul has recently recorded most of his
> > knowledge in the hopes of passing it on to the next generation of Hmong
> > youths who would like to learn. This man is a regarded expert and those
> > of you who live in St. Paul will know him.  His name is Nkaj Huas Yaj.
> > Some of you may recognize his name as he's been cited as a cultural
> > consultant for Dr. Yang Dao and other Hmong scholars. He is extremely
> > knowledgeable in Hmong traditional rituals. He has a series of 5 90
> > minute cassettes.  These are as below.
>
> > 1. Zaj Tshoob Txhiaj Txhais
> > 2. Txiv Xaiv Foom Lus Suav (All in Chinese so youths won't know what is
> > being said, but if you live in St. Paul, and really want to know and
> > learn I'm sure he's willing to spend time with you)
> > 3.Txiv Xwm Kab/ Tsav Txheej Meej
> > 4. Tsheej Xwm Hmoob (I have no idea what this is)
> > 5. Paj Lug & Nrhiav Lug
>
> > Again, I'm going up to St. Paul in a few days and for those of you who
> > are visiting the region for the 4th tournament and would like to obtain
> > these recordings, you can contact me via email.
>
> > Mai Na
>
> > Sent via Deja.comhttp://www.deja.com/
Thank you Dr. mainalee. I can't be there but will sure have some other
ways to obtain them.

HL

yangma...@gmail.com

May 26, 2015, 1:34:18 PM5/26/15
How much does it cost?

AEON

May 26, 2015, 2:04:59 PM5/26/15
> ways to obtain thO GET THEMem.
>
> HL

I'LL BUY A SET OF THE 5X90 TAPES. PLEASE LET ME KNOW THE PRICE AND WHERE TO GET THEM. I'M LOCAL HERE IN ST.PAUL.