Great Songs: Arguably the Greatest Ballad in Hmong Musicology!

HenryDavidT

Oct 10, 2014, 1:51:25 AM10/10/14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P2OWJofVaM

It's obvious I've never been a vast consumer of popular culture, but of the many songs --- both old and new --- as well as the many singers I've heard in these last few decades, this young woman's voice and singing ability are unsurpassed.

Of course, the song --- it's really a soothing, lyrical ballad, really --- is also incredibly well written and well sung.

Hell, even the cartoon, not sure how "original it was, was exceptionally befitting.

Yasmi finally proved, to me anyway, that you could sing in a modern manner (stretching your vocal and octaves to the widest possible within one song and do it with a trained voice) to old, classical style of Hmong music from the 1960s, 70s, and 80s.... "the wonder years" for us old FOB geezers...

I stumbled across this singer's voice, in a 10-second inserted in a Laos travelogue, and asked the person who put up that video; and they told me her name...

The last hour or so, I've been playing this over and over and every time I have goose bumps... Her vocal ability actually brought tears to mine eye, hearing this song the first time... and after many replays, the ballad --- her vocalization in particular --- is still deeply impacting my soul...

And this happened to be her first song I've ever listened to... If you know of this young woman, tell her to never let go of music.... she is truly gifted... I know the Hmong community is still too small to support and to nurture gifted artists, but for those who have true gifts, hopefully they do it for the fact they are gifted...

Moobthaibteb Moobtwmzeej

Oct 10, 2014, 10:31:48 AM10/10/14
did you scroll down on the comments people made on that video? the cartoon is actually fit better than the live music video that yasmi made for the song. now that we are in the land of divorcing left and right, this song made a perfect case for that. yeah..people can give all kind of excuses..he was forced to marry someone else that he didn't love and whatever yardi yarda else excuses..

The anime accompanied the song so perfectly. My favorite part is where the buried puppy came back to life, but only in the skeletal form...which caused her to be afraid to hold on to something that could only be their past memories of the loves they shared. Should she hold on to the puppy and go ahead have the affair with a married man, or should she reject the idea outright? The abundant of old memories following her everywhere, the confusion...the torment of niaj hnub ntsia koj puag koj hnia luag hauv koj xubntiag, which insinuated that the story has not end there yet. So perhaps there could still be a happy reunion between the two lovers?

HenryDavidT

Oct 10, 2014, 4:05:45 PM10/10/14
+++++++++++++++++++

No, I have not read the comments, as I downloaded the song with this inserted cartoon video --- using KEEP VIDs FROM YOUTUBE, etc --- and I've been watching it repeatedly, on auto mode, without an active site...

Anyway, I don't see the cartoon as you said it here.

I see it as LOVE AND LOSS... which is ultimately what the SONG here is really about...

And it's a bit odd that I am so drawn into it, consider I've never loved anyone, much less lost anyone... So I guess some of the thoughts, yearning, and dreams we have must be deeply, intrinsically rooted, NOT created by actual human events and acts...

The original, short cartoon video seems to be two respective young, melancholic people.... the young man being dead, surrounded with skeletal puppies and the young woman, out aimlessly wandering thinking about love and loss...

Their lives --- from different realms ---- briefly intersected when their respective puppies went sniffing around, leading both to this place in the woods.

On the young lady's realm, you see fresh flowers blanking the woodland...

On the young dead man's realm, you see cold, snow, and frost all around... when their paths allowed them to finally meet, with him gently touching her, you see his cold hand transferring his other-worldly-frost/energy to her hand, with her impulsively yanking her hand away...

Indeed, as his dead, skeletal puppies marched right up to her, on the little mound, you see the advancing of ice and cold and death.

The boy, of course, doesn't know he is dead.

And that angle --- of the boy not knowing he is dead, of death, of another world not belong in her world here --- reminds me of one movie I've see all these years that deals with GHOSTS being scared of the living (which appear to them as apparition from another world!, lots of ironies), incredibly well made, very intelligently written and moving.... starring Australian actress Nicole Kidman, THE OTHERS...

llh...@gmail.com

Oct 10, 2014, 5:22:21 PM10/10/14
There are plenty of Hmong singers with good voices: Maiv Ntxawm Tsab, Nkauj Noog Hawj, Lab Xyooj, etc., what is missing are good composers and lyricists. Even the lyrics to this song is amateurish.

Hawj: Email me. I need to chat with you.

AEON

Oct 10, 2014, 10:38:54 PM10/10/14
On Friday, October 10, 2014 4:22:21 PM UTC-5, llh...@gmail.com wrote:
> There are plenty of Hmong singers with good voices: Maiv Ntxawm Tsab, Nkauj Noog Hawj, Lab Xyooj, etc., what is missing are good composers and lyricists. Even the lyrics to this song is amateurish.

> Hawj: Email me. I need to chat with you.

composer''s job is NOT finary eat orlso needdor everyoneo know skills thshe needs tople got NONE.she also needs money to get a band tocreate the MUSICB 4 a singer can do herVOICEover. mpst of the Ionly see that singers just use EXISTING MUSIC from other creators and all she did wasrun her own VICE over the old VOICE TRACK.

llh...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2014, 1:23:29 PM10/14/14
Hawj,

Email me llh...@gmail.com so we can reminisced about La Jolla Cove back in the days Zaj Laug and Npawg EEb.

yag...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2014, 4:18:02 PM10/14/14
I used to go to a high school in la jolla...about 2 blocks from the beach...close to seal rock...and i hated every moment of thse 3 years. I was robbed of my teen years.