Astronomy: The Evolution of Space-Time

HenryDavidT

Mar 17, 2016, 5:59:57 AM3/17/16
Looking at Galaxies --- many of which are 10's to 100s of thousands of LIGHT YEARS ACROSS, to some as large as millions of light years across --- as Particle Physics... and how such particles behaves over large chunks of time of BILLIONS to TENS OF BILLIONS of years... time scales that reduces EARTH ITSELF to nothing significant, and that means ANY ONE SPECIES... whether it's the Dinosaurs which lived for hundreds of millions of years before they died out or humans, which, as a species, has not lived more than 3 or so million years on earth as a modern species... we mean absolutely NOTHING in those galactic time scales...

Each of these little black "dots" on this simulated video represented a galaxy around the size of our Milky Way...

Note that our Milky Way galaxy has roughly some 30 or so "small satellite galaxies" gravitationally bounded, with the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds being the only two visible to the naked eyes. And these "small satellite galaxies" don't count in these studies of really large galaxies around our Milky Way and the Andremeda, usually ranged from 50,000 light years across or larger...

The video was made from real data collected over years by astronomers from the University of Hawaii and University of Lyon and other other places... LANIAKEA, a Hawiian word meaning "immeasurable heaven", is a "Supercluster" of galaxies extending some 500M light years across, encompassing roughly 100,000 large galaxies...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayj4p3WFxGk

Our Milky Way galaxy is roughly 100,000 light years. Meaning, if you rode on a spaceship traveling 186,000 miles per SECOND, it'd take you 100,000 years to travel from one edge of the Milky Way to the other edge.

Our next door neighbor, the Andromeda Galaxy, or M31, or NGC 224, is roughly 220,000 light years across --- with roughly 600B to 1T stars --- or about twice as big as our Milky Way, estimated to have between 200B to 400B stars ... although our larger Andromeda Galaxy neighbor is said to be not as "massive" in terms of "weight" as our Milky Way, due to "exotic" matter scientists are not entirely sure what is... that is supposed to be surrounding our Milky Way...

"The edge" of our local galaxy, of course, "ends" where our most sensitive telescopes stop being able to gather light; so in reality, there are likely a few thousand more years to either side --- all around the Milky Way --- if you're actually traveling out there... Since the distances are so vast, stars must number in the tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands, in order for you to see them from tens to hundreds to millions of light years away.

HenryDavidT

Mar 17, 2016, 6:01:56 AM3/17/16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rENyyRwxpHo#t=14

This was a more condensed version --- better scripted --- of the same simulated video...