Hmong in A Whopper Commercial Advertisement

kuamemiab

Dec 3, 2008, 11:31:17 AM12/3/08
Dear All:

30 years ago I never dreamed of this day, the day of other nationality
and American will sing our songs, selling our clothes, fall in love
with our foods, and ask us to advertise their products especially
fastfood chain, Burger King, for their most popular burger, Whopper.

Here is to make you proud: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lgcor-jxLY

What do you see us in the next 30 years from now? I might be dead but
Hmong will remain to be seen. You should be proud.

kuamemiab

Deja

Dec 3, 2008, 12:19:54 PM12/3/08

wow!!!
looks cool...but only hmong thai xwb..hehee

teevku...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2008, 7:27:00 PM12/3/08

Wow!!!! ob tus txiv laus niam hluas no lom zem heev li hehe...

teevkuamuag

Cat

Dec 3, 2008, 8:35:23 PM12/3/08
Hey they want to eat whoopers and be fat like us too. They want it
their way.

Mogee

Dec 4, 2008, 1:49:36 PM12/4/08

I hope you are being sarcastic.

Perhaps, any exposure is better than some exposure, but aside from
that, this commercial has absolutely nothing for Hmong people to feel
proud about. The producers of the commercial went around the world
looking for the most archaic civilizations in existence, and found the
Hmong living in Chang Mai. This series of commercials by BK are not
intended to highlight the cultural uniqueness of these so called
"whopper virgins." Instead, these commercials paint these cultures as
primitive and out of touch from the modern world. While there is
something to be said about, and perhaps even be proud of, a culture's
ability to remain autonomous despite the encroaching world, that is
not the aim of these commercials.

Anyone who is seriously proud of these commercials is naive and or
dissillusioned.

hnub...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2008, 1:56:08 PM12/4/08
Ditto Mogee!

Peace,
HK

sib...@hotmail.com

Dec 10, 2008, 1:30:33 PM12/10/08
When I saw the ad for the first time I thought that BQ went too far.
This time BQ really
insults the poor people. My understanding is that BQ went to three
different places somewhere in
Iceland, Transivania and Thailand.
BQ can not take advantage of the misfortune and impoverish people who
barely have any food on their table.
Poverty in these area are terrible and BQ just acts like an
irresponsible corporation. Also note that this great
product or whaopper is consider in its birth place as "junk food".

Where are the Hmong lawyers? This is an opportunity for you to fight
BQ and force BQ to
redistribute the profit resulted from these add to help these people
survive. I am sure BQ didn't pay them millions of
dollards to appear in these ads as it would do here in the US. This is
pure exploitation.

Sibtham