dialectal differences

Kalaninuiana`olekaumaiiluna Mondoy

May 2, 2001, 9:50:03 PM5/2/01

Talking w/ a friend today about different words we
use in Hawai'i and I brought up the game "chase
mastah". And my friend said, "what?" so I said,
"you know...chase master?" and he gave me a look
then I said, "tag!" I told him that all of us
called it that including the teachers but now I'm
wondering if people from different islands called
it something else.

TikiRoom18

May 3, 2001, 2:05:03 PM5/3/01

I'm from Hilo.. we called it 'Chase Mastah' too...
Is there a difference in the islands as far as calling it "Shave Ice" Or " Ice
Shave"? I grew up hearing it called "Ice Shave"... I didn't hear it called
"Snowcones" until I got to the mainland... I have heard it called "Hawaiian
Ice" here too, but I am thinking it is a shop name...

ri...@rickfrazier.com

May 3, 2001, 6:50:07 PM5/3/01

TikiRoom:

Not to be picky, but Snowcones are NOT shave ice, not even in the same class, so
far as I am concered.
(OK, a Pinto and Cadillac are both cars, too, but nothing alike to most people.)

Snow cones are made from crushed ice, a decidedly inferior product to shave ice.
Crushed ice is usually coarse and holds much less flavor than shave ice, which is
much fluffier and fine, more like fallen snow in texture. It also holds
considerably more syrup than the crushed ice used in mainland snow-cones.

--rick

Kalaninuiana`olekaumaiiluna Mondoy

May 3, 2001, 10:05:01 PM5/3/01

TikiRoom18 wrote:

> I'm from Hilo.. we called it 'Chase Mastah' too...
> Is there a difference in the islands as far as calling it "Shave Ice" Or " Ice
> Shave"? I grew up hearing it called "Ice Shave"... I didn't hear it called
> "Snowcones" until I got to the mainland... I have heard it called "Hawaiian
> Ice" here too, but I am thinking it is a shop name...

same here, snow cones is what they call it here on the mainland, but back on
Molokai we called it shave ice. Don't think anyone calls it shavED ice. *L*
That's too proper.

Kalaninuiana`olekaumaiiluna Mondoy

May 3, 2001, 10:05:02 PM5/3/01

"ri...@rickfrazier.com" wrote:

> Snow cones are made from crushed ice, a decidedly inferior product to shave ice.
> Crushed ice is usually coarse and holds much less flavor than shave ice, which is
> much fluffier and fine, more like fallen snow in texture. It also holds
> considerably more syrup than the crushed ice used in mainland snow-cones.

that explains why the taste isn't as good. And yes, I noticed that the ice are
somewhat chunkier. But we had a place where they made shave ice & it was kinda big
too. But was so 'ono w/ da ice cream inside! :-)

Sharon T G Westfall

May 4, 2001, 12:50:02 AM5/4/01

Kalaninuiana`olekaumaiiluna Mondoy <motu...@earthlink.net> wrote:

: "you know...chase master?" and he gave me a look

: then I said, "tag!" I told him that all of us
: called it that including the teachers but now I'm
: wondering if people from different islands called
: it something else.

I went to Elementary school in Wailuku, Maui in the late 60's. I don't
remember calling tag "chase master," but I remember playing "steal base."
That's where you have to try to touch the other team's home base without
getting tagged out and going to jail (at the other team's base).

Is "steal base" a Maui thing, or did everybody play (and call it) that?

Kalaninuiana`olekaumaiiluna Mondoy

May 4, 2001, 12:04:57 PM5/4/01

Sharon T G Westfall wrote:

> I went to Elementary school in Wailuku, Maui in the late 60's. I don't
> remember calling tag "chase master," but I remember playing "steal base."

that's interesting, the fact that you guys didn't call it chase mastah. I
don't recall steal base as an entire game though.

Chris

May 4, 2001, 8:49:56 PM5/4/01

Interesting. On the East Coast snow cones are more prevelant, and they
usually have multiple colored syrups poured on (like a rainbow). The
"shave ice" you're referring to is usually called "soft Italian ice",
however I have sometimes heard it referred to as "shavED ice". The
hard "Italian ice" are the kind that come in a paper cup that you
scoop with one of those flat disposable wooden spoons.

On 3 May 2001 22:50:07 GMT, "ri...@rickfrazier.com"

Maren Purves

May 4, 2001, 8:49:58 PM5/4/01

I think Hilo is the only place where it is called 'ice shave'

Maren

TikiRoom18

May 4, 2001, 10:34:55 PM5/4/01

I am enjoying this thread on pidgin dialect differences. I don't know if it is
still true, language is not a static thing at all, but I used to know
old-timers in Hawaii that could tell what island you were from by how you spoke
pidgin and sometimes could tell you what district...
>From what I understood it was all involved in the speed you spoke in, what kind
of languages obviously had an influence on words you chose to use.
That would be an interesting study I think. All I have read on Pidgin seems to
assume that island to island there is just one kind of pidgin...I remember
seeing the "Pidgin To Da Max" books in the early 1980s and seeing words that we
did not use on the Big Island.
PS: took me a LONG TIME to figure out that "Gunfunnit" was a local
pronunciation of "Confounded" as in "You Gunfunnit keeds!". Is this word and
pronunciation used on other islands?

Loompia

May 4, 2001, 11:34:54 PM5/4/01

<< PS: took me a LONG TIME to figure out that "Gunfunnit" was a local
pronunciation of "Confounded" as in "You Gunfunnit keeds!". Is this word and
pronunciation used on other islands?

Us too. Growing up on Maui, we knew that my tutu was REALLY mad when she said
"gunnfunnit".

Loompia

May 5, 2001, 4:49:51 AM5/5/01

Went to Kamehameha III school in Lahaina (late 60's early 70's). For us, chase
mastah and steal base were 2 different games. Other favorite games we played
were dodge ball, kini (marbles........anyone remember the term "spam" when
playing?), hide and go seek. We used to play chase mastah on the jungle gym
too.

Sharon T G Westfall

May 5, 2001, 12:34:49 PM5/5/01

Kalaninuiana`olekaumaiiluna Mondoy <motu...@earthlink.net> wrote:

My childhood days are kinda cloudy, so I did ask another classmate that I
work with, and she doesn't remember chase mastah either. Steal Base was a
hot game though. Our entire classroom would play, and the people that
were "out" would form a chain (cause all a teammate would have to do is
touch one person on the chain then everyone would get out of jail). The
chain would stretch really really long, so the other team had a tough time
defending it.

I was really junk, cause I couldn't run very fast. My classmate's nickname
was "Man" cause she could run faster than the boys. :-)

Sharon T G Westfall

May 5, 2001, 12:49:48 PM5/5/01

Loompia <loo...@aol.com> wrote:

: (marbles........anyone remember the term "spam" when playing?)

No, but I remember calling them crystals and bamboochas. I can't
remember if we played milk covers, I know my brother guys, who were
in intermediate school in the early 70's played that, and he collected
some really old covers from other kids. Then he sold them when the craze
came back, of course this time they were renamed "POGS", not milk covers.

Smithfarms 100%Kona

May 5, 2001, 10:34:53 PM5/5/01

I have never heard of chase master and I grew up in Olaa, Hawaii ( now
Keaau) in the 50's and in Waipahu on Oahu. The term Chase Master
sounds almost foreign to my ears....like it came from the mainland.

At home, we played a game called Sky Ini where one person became the
batter person. You tossed up the ball and then swung at it and
everyone else out in the "field" chased it down. Then the person who
got it was allowed a few steps in toward the bat, and they then
pitched the ball at the bat, which had been placed down on the
ground, and if the batter could catch the ball as the ball leapt up
over the bat, the batter could toss and swing and hit again. If the
batter dropped the ball as it popped over the bat on the ground, that
person got to be the batter.FWIW
aloha,
cea Smith
http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff!

TikiRoom18

May 5, 2001, 10:34:54 PM5/5/01

>: (marbles........anyone remember the term "spam" when playing?)
>
>No, but I remember calling them crystals and bamboochas.

Yeah! "Spam"!!
It's been too long for me to remember, but seems like somehow you would win
a chance to get closer to the target and the way you measured it was to spread
your fingers out wide and you could measure from the tip of your thumb to the
tip of your little finger "Span", pronounced "Spam" in Hawaii and come closer
by that much. Seems also that you could win more than one "Spam" somehow too.
In Hilo we didnt call the big marbles Bamboochas but we did call them
Tadunkas ( I hope that spelling comes across, the "d' is more of a quick
rolled
'r' in pronounciation).
Okay, here's another schoolyard game, anyone remember "pencil fights"?
Where
you would hold your pencil up and the other kid would try to snap it by
hitting
it with his pencil? Then you'd go back and forth until it broke? This game hit
schools ( at least on the Big Island) pretty big in the early-mid 1970s but
was
quickly outlawed...
Of course, then we had the after-Easter egg fights where you would bring
eggs in and hit the hard edges with the hard edges of other kids eggs and see
which one cracked first. Some kids even went so into this as to put candle wax
all over the edges of their eggs before they brought them in. SchoolYard
reputations could be made and broken on the crack of an egg.
Speaking of outlawed games, anyone recall the Clackers fad that hit in the
70s also? Two clear balls on strings that you would "clack" up and down as
fast
as you could. This accounted for many bruised forearms back then. Almost as
many bruises than were were formed by broomstick nunchakus in those years.
This was all before the advent of "Pong" and "Space Invaders" arcade games
so we really did have to make our own fun.

Kaneohe Boy

May 5, 2001, 10:34:58 PM5/5/01

There is no such thing as "shaved ice". It is, and always be shave ice -
and it's has to come in a pointy cup with a wooden spoon. BTW, the wooden
spoon is a key component to a well made shave ice.

boy do i love this place....

"Kalaninuiana`olekaumaiiluna Mondoy" <motu...@earthlink.net> wrote in
message news:988941...@mochi.lava.net...

> TikiRoom18 wrote:
>

> > I'm from Hilo.. we called it 'Chase Mastah' too...
> > Is there a difference in the islands as far as calling it "Shave Ice" Or
" Ice
> > Shave"? I grew up hearing it called "Ice Shave"... I didn't hear it
called
> > "Snowcones" until I got to the mainland... I have heard it called
"Hawaiian
> > Ice" here too, but I am thinking it is a shop name...

Kaneohe Boy

May 5, 2001, 10:35:00 PM5/5/01

I remember "spams" while playing "agates". I believe "spams" is a
deriviative of the word "spans". So what was your favorite agates game,
ring or chase?

This thread is bringing back some fond memories of my childhood in Pauoa.

"Loompia" <loo...@aol.com> wrote in message

Alkahuna Kekaula Kamauoha

May 5, 2001, 10:35:02 PM5/5/01

> : (marbles........anyone remember the term "spam" when playing?)

Brings back many memories...Small keed time, 60's in Kailua, and Laie
area, had chase mastah, rough take, shaveice, yes, I heard "confonnit!"
a lot.
(I thought this was my name for a while, my faddah usta say to me alla
time; "confonnit, stop jumping up and down on da punee!"

In marbles, we had spam, bumboocha, crytals, cateye...

--
##**##***#*##***##***##**##
www.tikitrader.com

Kalaninuiana`olekaumaiiluna Mondoy

May 5, 2001, 11:19:45 PM5/5/01

TikiRoom18 wrote:

> PS: took me a LONG TIME to figure out that "Gunfunnit" was a local
> pronunciation of "Confounded" as in "You Gunfunnit keeds!". Is this word and
> pronunciation used on other islands?

didn't realize the origin of that word. :-) My aunt them used it but I thought they
used it over God dammit. They used the g.d. more than the gunfunnit. *L* I think
it was more serious since it involved blasphemy!

Kalaninuiana`olekaumaiiluna Mondoy

May 6, 2001, 1:19:46 AM5/6/01

TikiRoom18 wrote:

> >: (marbles........anyone remember the term "spam" when playing?)
> >
> >No, but I remember calling them crystals and bamboochas.
>
> Yeah! "Spam"!!
> It's been too long for me to remember, but seems like somehow you would win
> a chance to get closer to the target and the way you measured it was to spread
> your fingers out wide and you could measure from the tip of your thumb to the
> tip of your little finger "Span", pronounced "Spam" in Hawaii and come closer
> by that much. Seems also that you could win more than one "Spam" somehow too.

*L* that's right! You had to describe it before I could remember it.

> In Hilo we didnt call the big marbles Bamboochas but we did call them
> Tadunkas ( I hope that spelling comes across, the "d' is more of a quick
> rolled
> 'r' in pronounciation).

we called them bamboochas. I thought kini was the main marble that you used....or
I could be just forgetting the whole marble concept in general. *L*

> Okay, here's another schoolyard game, anyone remember "pencil fights"?

ROTFLMAO We got in trouble for playing pencil fights you know.

> Of course, then we had the after-Easter egg fights where you would bring
> eggs in and hit the hard edges with the hard edges of other kids eggs and see
> which one cracked first.

I can't believe you remember all these games! We did this too.

> Speaking of outlawed games, anyone recall the Clackers fad that hit in the
> 70s also? Two clear balls on strings that you would "clack" up and down as
> fast
> as you could. This accounted for many bruised forearms back then. Almost as
> many bruises than were were formed by broomstick nunchakus in those years.

LMAO I can't stop laughing! I forgot the name of those stupid balls. But I
remember wrapping a cloth around my wrist as high up to my elbow. (My arm short
das why) Even had the glow in the dark ones. Then recently (few yrs. ago) I saw
the same thing but on plastic things so that the balls would just hit each other.
They weren't dangling on strings. I miss that toy in particular. We also played
kung fu and threw it at the legs! *L* It's pretty cool b/c you can twist it
around someone's leg & continue to twist it until it becomes tight!

> This was all before the advent of "Pong" and "Space Invaders" arcade games
> so we really did have to make our own fun.

yup. Fuse ball we played too until "pong" came in. Space invaders were cool
too! I thought we were going places back then. Now look....we're on the net.
*rolling eyes*

Kalaninuiana`olekaumaiiluna Mondoy

May 6, 2001, 1:19:47 AM5/6/01

"Smithfarms 100%Kona" wrote:

> At home, we played a game called Sky Ini where one person became the
> batter person.

I thought it was called sky inning. I think I heard wrong. *L* Or worse
yet...people pronounced it differently. We played this too.

Catheglass

May 6, 2001, 1:19:50 AM5/6/01

Wooden spoon? This marks the quality of shave ice? Humph.
There's a place called Anuenue in the strip of stores at Kaiwaihae which serves
their shave ice with a (gasp) plastic spoon. An' their save ice is da kine.
Love the lillikoi.

TikiRoom18

May 6, 2001, 1:49:44 AM5/6/01

>ROTFLMAO We got in trouble for playing pencil fights you know.

Nah, no make.... you probably was the one used to wrap tape around the pencil
so he no broke eh? :-)

About Clackers:

>We also played
>kung fu and threw it at the legs! *L* It's pretty cool b/c you can twist it
>around someone's leg & continue to twist it until it becomes tight!

Oh yeah, we were only copying the Run Run Shaw Kung Fu epics when they used
Bolos.... Hmmm.. I wonder why they outlawed Clackers from school??? :-)

>I thought we were going places back then. Now look....we're on the net.
>*rolling eyes*

Fo real yeah, when CBs hit Hawaii in the late 70s i thought I was styling
because I could talk to a guy up on the mountain. Now look... amazing....

Yeah Foos ball was big in Hilo too. The secret was not just to make goals, but
to CRACK da buggah in HARD so everybody could hear 'em yeah?

Oh well, tales of a mis-spent youth hanging out at Hilo Lanes... :-)
You can ask me why I cannot add.. this might be an answer. My head is so full
of this trivia, no mo room!

GREAT comments!

TikiRoom18

May 6, 2001, 2:19:44 AM5/6/01

I'm sure "Gunfunnit" was often used in place of God Dammit, especially by the
ways it is used, seems interchangable.. But, like you, I had family that seemed
perfectly willing to use both freely! :-)
Let me test the limits of the moderators here, but it is to make a point... if
it is not allowed, I understand...
Seems like the progression as adults got mad at kids went from " Gunfinnit
kids" to "God damn kids" to "Frickin kids", we KNEW what Frickin was in place
of.. and we also knew that we were in BIG TROUBLE....
Skirting along the edge of allowability as usual... seeing if I wil get my ear
pulled.

Tiki-dem

Morley Moe

May 6, 2001, 1:04:43 PM5/6/01

>About Clackers:
>>We also played
>>kung fu and threw it at the legs! *L* It's pretty cool b/c you can twist it
>>around someone's leg & continue to twist it until it becomes tight!
>>

>Oh yeah, we were only copying the Run Run Shaw Kung Fu epics when they used
>Bolos.... Hmmm.. I wonder why they outlawed Clackers from school??? :-)

I don't know what a school's motive might have been to outlaw clackers, but
there was a national safety concern in that a ball could shatter and propel its
fragments into one's face.

Fych3123

May 6, 2001, 9:49:41 PM5/6/01

Anybody remember "Halovia", beanbags kids used to throw at each other or doing
juggling acts with?

How about "drapes", bell-bottom pants (not to be confused with the 70's type)?
Anybody know if it was just an island phenomenum or nation wide during the late
50's? Remembered kids trying to outdo each other. Went as wide as 24", and to
standout used red and pink material.

dppatalohadotnet

May 6, 2001, 9:49:44 PM5/6/01

Kalaninuiana`olekaumaiiluna Mondoy wrote:

> > Okay, here's another schoolyard game, anyone remember "pencil fights"?
>

> ROTFLMAO We got in trouble for playing pencil fights you know.

Used to "show" my #2 Eagle pencil, then when the other person is holding
his pencil
waiting for you to hit it with your pencil, I bust out the bumboocha
Primary School
pencil. Then we started the Primary School Pencil fights... used to take
quite a
while to crack one of those pencils.

> LMAO I can't stop laughing! I forgot the name of those stupid balls. But I
> remember wrapping a cloth around my wrist as high up to my elbow.

"Clackers", "Click Clacks (Klik Klaks)" come to mind as some of the names
of those
resin balls. Used to hit them so hard that the resin used to crack and
send pieces of
flying around the schoolyard.

Used to play a derivative of Volleyball, Basketball, and Baseball at Palama
Settlement
against some other elementary schools in the area. The teachers would set
up 4 bases
around a basketball court. The batter would "serve" the volleyball from
home plate
and if it was caught before it touched the ground, the batter was "out".
Likewise if
you made it to base before you were "tagged" then you would be considered safe.

Somewhere in there a basketball hoop came into play. I can't remember what
it was
for.

--
The packet goes out the card, onto the fiber, out the router,
onto the backbone, thru the firewall, into the router........

go Warriors... nah... G O B O W S ! ! !

Wayne Maeda

May 10, 2001, 2:19:10 PM5/10/01

On 6 May 2001 02:35:00 GMT, "Kaneohe Boy" <noLIK...@goaway.com>
wrote:

>I remember "spams" while playing "agates". I believe "spams" is a
>deriviative of the word "spans". So what was your favorite agates game,
>ring or chase?

Our favorite "agates" game was 5-hole. Killer goes around the
world 2 times. Hit killer dead.

aloooooo wayne ooooha for now
i...@ukulele.com

kimo

May 20, 2001, 5:04:00 AM5/20/01

ok, what about the football game played on the sidewalk (or whereever) with
a piece of paper folded up into a triangle? you and your opponent would
take turns flicking the "football" with your forefinger and if it landed on
the crack it was a touchdown. your opponent then made goalposts with his
forefingers and thumbs while you tried to kick the football thru it.

Dan Birchall

May 20, 2001, 1:03:50 PM5/20/01

I remember that when I was in school on the mainland, east coast
even... 'cept we did it on a table, didn't have the landing on
the crack thing, just took turns kicking field goals. :)

-Dan

--
This address expires. Take out the hostname if your reply bounces.
You may transmit e-mail ads to this address, for US$50 per message.

TikiRoom18

May 21, 2001, 12:03:47 AM5/21/01

>> ok, what about the football game played on the sidewalk (or
>> whereever) with a piece of paper folded up into a triangle?
>> you and your opponent would take turns flicking the "football"
>> with your forefinger and if it landed on the crack it was a
>> touchdown. your opponent then made goalposts with his
>> forefingers and thumbs while you tried to kick the football
>> thru it.

Yep, I remember that one.... Thanks for the reminder.
How about.... playig basketball with quarters... spinning the quarters and then
where it stops you put the quarter between your thumbs and try to dunk it in
the hands of ther opponent ( he has his hands cupped like a basketball goal ).
Obviously only a game played before Lunchtime.
Sorry, we didnt have gameboys, we had to actually interact with others to play
games.